Ratings: Person of Interest Tops Grey's in Demo, Scandal Inches Up, The CW's Beast Steady

CBS’ Person of Interest — with a 3.0 rating and 14 million total viewers — rose 7 percent in the 18-49 demo this week to best Grey’s Anatomy in that important measure for the first time this season, as well as outdraw the ABC drama in total audience.

Grey’s meanwhile was down 12 and 15 percent, to 8.5 million total viewers and a 2.9 rating.

As for the dueling dramas’ 10 o’clock lead-outs, Elementary (10.2 mil/2.2) was down just a tick, while Scandal (6.3 mil/2.0) added a few eyeballs and a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: Beware the Five-Headed Beast!

Elsewhere on Thursday night, going hour by hour….

8 pm | The Big Bang Theory (15.4 mil/4.8) led the night on both counts, holding steady week-to-week; lead-out Two and a Half Men (12.9 mil/3.7) dipped just a bit from last Thursday’s Miley high. ABC’s male-skewing Last Resort, facing off with the World Series, fell 9 and 24 percent to 6.4 mil/1.3. Pending football preemption adjustments/deflation, both 30 Rock (3.6 mil/1.3) and Up All Night (3.9 mil/1.6) appear up. The Vampire Diaries (2.74 mil/1.2) dipped 6 percent and a tenth.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: Elena Loses It! Plus, Is Tyler a [Spoiler]?!

9 pm | Again, pending NFL adjustments, The Office (4.7 mil/2.1) is flat, while Parks and Recreation (4.1 mil/1.9) is up double digits. The CW’s Beauty and the Beast (1.9 mil/0.7) dipped 6 percent in audience but was steady in the demo.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Let’s Talk About Sex

10 pm | Trailing far behind the aforementioned Holmes and Pope, NBC’s Rock Center nonetheless surged 23 and 44 percent week-to-week, hitting 4.3 mil and a 1.3.

UPDATE: Fox’s coverage of the World Series, Game 2 (12.3 million total viewers, 3.4 rating) gained eyeballs from Game 1 but dipped 9 percent in the 18-49 demo.

What were you tuned into this Thursday?

• GeekGirl13 says:

I couldn’t agree more! As much as I love Gray’s I love Person of Interest that much more! So very happy to see this show doing well in the ratings!!!

• POIfan says:

YEESSSSSS, so happy for POI, worth watching tv show,

• Alexandre Leal says:

I guess tvline should update their posts on ratings once the finals are in.
      Or, at least, post only the final numbers, right?
      I mean, anyone who reads this now will be completely misinformed.

1. eridapo says:

Mr. Reese … Deserves to be number 1….

BTW… Did not expect to see Elias in the episode last night, so it was a good surprise.

• Lena120 says:

Elias would have been a great surprise if Enrico Colantoni wasn’t the first name in the (guest starring) opening credits. Once I saw that I was like, ‘Oh, here he comes again.”

• POIfanatic says:

POI is awesome, but last night’s episode was boring. This was my least favorite episode. But well done, POI. It deserves those and more.

2. sarah says:

Not surprised the Office as flat
    That is not good about TVD, but it is the highest rated show on the CW with Arrow close behind!
    I watch Greys and POI and I am happy that POI did well!

• John says:

Final Rating, TVD: 1.3/2.87 mil. So, it held steady from last week as well.

• John says:

Grey’s was adjusted up to 3.0/8.8 and POI was adjusted down to 2.9/14.

• Julie says:

Thank you for the ratings update John. Nice to hear Grey’s did better than first reported. I still love watching it. As for the Office, think Thursday’s ep will be the last one I watch for the season. I can see why it’s going flat in ratings. Instead of the writers giving us a really fun, quirky season full of the originals, we are introduced to Jim/Dwight “light” (unneeded and takes time away from the original characters I care about), a total change in Andy and for that matter Erin, who is now the new “Pam light” so that for some unknown reason the writers can retell the “Jim and Pam” story aka “the more things change the more they stay the same” I guess. (boring/predictable) I loved the quirky Erin, and Andy now having scenes where he no longer connects with her is off putting just to tell a story we’ve already lived through once via Pam and Jim and with P/J, it took seasons to shape unlike this rush job. The Jim/Pam storyline, though I’m certain will work out fine in the long run is drama deluxe on a show where that is simply not needed. Not sure why the writers have gone this route, but it has officially left me to read the great recaps here at TV/Line and find out what happens in the finale, and this come from a fan who owns all the seasons on DVD and has been loyal. The writers have a chance to change this all around, but looking at Thursday’s episode, it seems highly unlikely they will. An early and sad goodbye from tuning in now for me, but on the bright side, I have been enjoying Elementary a lot. Thursday has got an amazing amount of good television to watch!

3. L says:

yay big bang and greys!!!!

4. wrstlgirl says:

I think it’s time for me to break up with TVD. It’s just to Elenacentric and she’s my least favorite character on the show. I hate that all the other characters stories have to be sacrificed for more of her whining. Cue the haters.

• iMember says:

Where have you been? This show has ALWAYS been about Elena.

• POIfanatic says:

You seem to want the fanatics to comment on your opinion. lol. I love Elena. Not always, but I do love her. Her vampire story was sacrificed in favor of the others in the premiere making it one of the worst of the show. These last two episodes have been fun and entertaining though. And finally, there’s a real mystery, which makes me anticipate the show more. Just my two cents.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, I could care less if people comment or not. I hope you continue to enjoy the show. I’m gonna take a pass for a couple weeks and when I come back I’m betting I haven’t missed much.

• Mikael says:

All you’ll miss is Elena leaving Stefan for Damon for a few weeks before she goes back to Stefan. Repeat until the season finale.

• Mikael says:

I can’t stand Elena either. I really wish they’d kill her and Nina Dobrev can just play Katherine, who is a far superior character.

5. YES! Parks and Rec was amazing last night (As always) I love Ben and Leslie !
    Donna’s live tweeting was hilarious!

6. Monique says:

Great news for Scandal. With its prominent social media presence and steady ratings ABC should give the back 9.

7. Nancey says:

Not surprised about Grey’s dropping a little. Very uneven episode. The highs were Mer/Der, Cris/old guy, Arizona and Callie. The lows were way too much of April and Jackson and the silly and juvenile story line with all involved in big ball surgery.

• bigdede says:

I’m still trying to figure out why they insist on having April on the show. She’s the worst! At least Lexie matured. April is still the annoying snot she was when she first came on. let her go back to her pig.

• Julie says:

via John above the ratings were updated “Grey’s was adjusted up to 3.0/8.8 and POI was adjusted down to 2.9/14″ so GA did better than initially reported int the ratings which is good news.

8. AT says:

Hmm. On tvbythenumbers, it says BATB got a .7. I hope that one is the correct rating. I’m really rooting for the show.

9. Keren says:

Yay Person of Interest and Scandal!!

If you’re not watching these 2 shows, I recommend that you give them a try.

• wrstlgirl says:

I watch POI from time to time but Scandal bores me to death.

• SA says:

I have never watched POI. Might have to pick it up. But I have been pleasantly surprised with Scandal this season. They have really kicked it up a notch and I am finding myself looking forward to watching it every week.

10. POIfanatic says:

Goodbye Last Resort. Its been nice knowing you. Glad my other two favorites – Revolution and Arrow, are doing well.

11. KSM says:

I’m always surprised when certain shows do well in the demo. I am in the demo, and I don’t know anyone that watches Person of Interest. Everyone watches Grey’s. And all of their bfs/husbands are forced to watch Grey’s as well. Maybe Person of Interest isn’t a show that people watch in cities? Same with NCIS. I never know ANYONE that watches that show, in or out of the demo.

• Gina says:

You can’t go by anecdotal evidence, though. I’m in the demo, too, and I watch PoI and have friends who watch it. (And I’m very near a city, too! :-) ) It’s not about you or me or our own particular circles, it’s about viewers in general.

• suzi says:

“…all of their bfs/husbands are forced to watch Grey’s as well.” Am I the only one who finds that…troubling? Only one TV in the house? No minds of their own? lol I know no one who watches Grey’s anymore, btw.

• Keren says:

I’m in the demo and I watch Person of Interest and NCIS, and I live in the DC metro area.

• hotshot says:

We’re in the 18-49 demo here in Boston and don’t know anyone who does NOT watch Person of Interest! POI is simply the best! Catch it if you are one of the few who has not already done so!
        Super cast, writing, production – the complete package so rare on network TV today!

12. Jared says:

Scandal is amazing..especially this season. Its must see tv. I look forward to watching this series every week.

B&TB is starting to find its groove. Last nights episode was by far the best so far.

13. ollie says:

yea about poi love that show love that elias was back

14. mia says:

Last Resort: “male-skewing”?. Ironically it is me(female), my mom, and my sister who are all loving this show while my dad is rather bored with it. So there’s ladies watching this show too.
    Beauty and the Beast: glad its doing decently. I hate myself for how invested I’ve gotten int the show. Its not good, but I’m completely in love with it. Already looking forward to next week.

15. Tikkanen says:

Person of Interest is one of the few shows that I actively look forward to watching. It has strong action scenes, a good ensemble cast, good writing, and smart strong female characters who aren’t bimbos. Glad to see them getting the ratings love they deserve.

16. Craig says:

Might you correct that headline, now that Greys beat PoI in finals

17. Gina says:

Are you going to post the FINAL Nielsens, where Grey’s beat POI in the demo?

18. stepf says:

Glad BATB at least held on in the demo, agreed with Jared, last nights ep was far better then the first two. They finally got the beast into the storyline without it being all clunky.

19. Ana says:

You guys should really wait for the adjusted ratings to post. Grey’s and POI were both adjusted and GA is at 3.0 while POI is at 2.9. Still not a good trend for Greys but hey, not bad for a 9th season.

• lll says:

So sad about POI adjusting down, but in the demo the distance between greys and POI is thinning.

• Julie says:

This is Grey’s Anatomy’s ninth season, so in that respect, the fact that is still keeping up with all the competition on Thursday TV is saying a lot. Many of these shows are in their 1st or 2nd seasons and are new. I’m happy for Grey’s Anatomy and that it can at the very least still have pretty good ratings on one of the most competitive nights on television.

20. Sean says:

While I still like Grey’s, it is time for Christina to return to the hospital!

21. Mikael says:

CW needs to put Nikita back on Thursdays after TVD. I know it didn’t do amazingly well when it was there before, but it did better than B&TB is doing now and it’s a much better show.