What to Watch Sunday: Homeland, Dexter, The Good Wife and 10 Other Premieres — Whew!

On TV this Sunday: Premiere Week’s closing night is also its most jam-packed one, and it includes a little something for everyone. For the dramatic among you, the Emmy-winning Homeland, plus Revenge, Once Upon a Time, Dexter, The Good Wife and The Mentalist are back for more. If you want a laugh, The Simpsons and the rest of Fox’s Animation Domination line-up returns, while The Amazing Race and ABC’s spooky new 666 Park Avenue serve up thrills and chills, respectively. (And don’t forget 60 Minutes, if you want to feel smart at the office tomorrow.) Now all you’ve got to do is figure out how to fit it all on your DVR. All told, here are 13 programs worth checking out.

7:00 pm 60 Minutes (CBS) | Season 45 (!) begins with interviews with U.S. General John Allen, Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on 47 Returning Shows

8 pm Once Upon a Time (ABC) | Season 2 premiere: The characters aren’t transported back to fairytale land upon awakening from Queen Regina’s curse — now why is that? The opening minutes will confound, while a surprise ending that dwarves all others (heh heh) will astound. Read our quick observations about the magic-packed hour and dive deep into our full preview. (Also, if you need a little catch-up, catch the “Magic is Coming” Season 1 recap airing at 7 pm.)

8 pm The Amazing Race (CBS) | Season 21 kicks off with a new twist: One team might be able to win a $2 million grand prize instead of the game’s usual $1 million. Players include pro monster-truck drivers, members of metal bands White Lion and Megadeath and a double amputee.

8 pm The Simpsons (Fox) | Season 24 premiere: When almost all of his former girlfriends (voiced by Sarah Michelle Gellar, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Silverman and Natalie Portman) tell him to buzz off, Bart decides Mary Spuckler (New Girl‘s Zooey Deschanel) – now living in New York — is the love of his life. “She’s the one he hasn’t been able to get a hold of, so she’s the last hope,” executive producer Al Jean tells TVLine. When Lisa and Marge accompany Bart to the Big Apple, they wind up at a free Shakespeare production in the park that doesn’t go as planned.

8:30 pm Bob’s Burgers (Fox) | Season 3 premiere: A biker gang mourns the loss of its leader and Louise suffers an identity crisis when her ever-present bunny ears are stolen.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

9 pm Dexter (Showtime) | Season 7 premiere: How will Dexter try to spin the series-changing moment that happened at the very end of last season? And will Deb believe what he says? Check out a preview of the season ahead.

9 pm The Good Wife (CBS) | Season 4 — which features a crazy-good roster of guest stars and a scene that barely made it past the censors — kicks off with Alicia fighting a state trooper on Zach’s behalf, Kalinda standing up to her estranged husband and Diane and Will dealing with the firm’s financial woes.

9 pm Revenge (ABC) | Season 2 premiere: Emily’s still on the offensive, Takeda’s back, there’s a new guy in the mix and Nolan …may be moving in? All told,  Emily VanCamp promises a season that is “almost crazier than Season 1.” (Read TVLine’s full preview.)

9 pm Family Guy (Fox) | Season 11 premiere: The Griffins climb Mt. Everest in an attempt to best Lois’ old boyfriend Ross and his wife (voiced by Elizabeth Banks). But problems – well, bigger problems than the obvious ones – come up when a storm strands them on the mountainside. (Read a preview.)

9:30 pm American Dad! (Fox) | Season 8 premiere: Roger opens a bar in the Smiths’ attic and recruits Hayley to sing there; Stan tries to prove his manhood by getting a good price on a new car.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: 25 Fresh Faces That Are on Our Radar – and Should Be on Yours

10 pm Homeland (Showtime) | Season 2 premiere: An asset from Carrie’s old life comes in from the cold. Get more top-secret scoop here, here and here!

10 pm The Mentalist (CBS) | Season 5 premiere: Jane tries to figure out Lorelei’s connection to Red John and the CBI team must partner with the FBI to solve a hotel employee’s murder. Get spoilers here.

10 pm 666 Park Avenue (ABC ) | Series premiere: Henry (Brothers & Sisters‘ Dave Annable) and Jane (Grey’s Anatomy‘s Rachael Taylor) move from the Midwest to New York City, to manage a grand old Upper East Side apartment building owned by Gavin (Lost‘s Terry O’Quinn) and his wife Olivia (Ugly Betty‘s Vanessa Williams). The owners, though, have a dark side that is seemingly connected to the supernatural events that take place within the edifice. See what Dave Annable told TVLine about his new gig.

Comments (82)

• So excited for ABC’s dramas, I love Revenge and Once and can’t wait for 666 and I hope it’s not cancelled like Pan Am last year was in this timeslot! But it only has to compete with The Mentalist and Sunday Night Football’s ending, which don’t share the same audience as 666!

Comment by CrimTV – September 30, 2012 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am soooo excited for REVENGE! I’m also excited for Once and 666 as well! AAAH, Sundays have become the best night of the week!

Comment by iMember – September 30, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time, here I come.

Comment by Frivolouswhim – September 30, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Iwill watch Josh Dallas……I mean, ONCE UPON A TIME lol

Comment by yut – September 30, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too shall be watching Josh Dallas… since I’m yet to know the fate of August. :(
      But Charming had my heart before he showed up. ;)

Comment by Platy D (@platys5startome) – September 30, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Insane night. It’s not only the fact that I have a lot of shwos on this night, it’s more the fact that most of them are some of my absolute favorites:

Dexter, Homeland, Once Upon a Time, Revenge, 666 Park Avenue, The Good Wife!

Woow! And the walking dead will also premiere in a few weeks! Jeez

Comment by omabin – September 30, 2012 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • out of all new shows,my pick is park 666.i love revenge and the good wife.cant wait for the premiers

Comment by renny – September 30, 2012 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to watch Once Upon a Time tonight! I will also watch the rest of the Giants-Eagles game as soon as OUAT ends and DVR 666 Park Ave and Revenge.

Comment by Liz – September 30, 2012 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge > football. Forever and always!

Comment by iMember – September 30, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland
    Dexter
    The Mentalist
    Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad
    Boardwalk Empire (Assuming theres an new episode tonight)

and Football of course

Not enough time in the world to watch it all

Comment by Kevin – September 30, 2012 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sunday IS the night for TV. Once is my favourite show of last season along with Revenge and Homeland. Not to mention newbie 666 Park Avenue and the good old regulars in The Good Wife, Dexter, Amazing Race and Family Guy.

What i am watching in this order
    Once Upon a Time
    Revenge
    666 Park Avenue
    Homeland
    Dexter
    The Good Wife
    The Amazing Race
    Family Guy

Comment by greysfan – September 30, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really excited for Once Upon a Time! I really want to see Emma & Snow and how they first have a mother and daughter moment (is it bad that I don’t care about Charming at all?). <3

THE AMAZING RACE! I hope we have great teams this season! <3

Homeland! I don't like the show much, but I adore Claire Danes as Carrie!!! <3

And I'm curious about 666. I hope I don't get scared!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 30, 2012 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter
    Homeland
    Revenge
    Good Wife
    Mentalist
    666 Park Avanue

Comment by Balaji K – September 30, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dexter, Homeland, The Good Wife and The Mentalist here as well!
      Though, I could’ve sworn CBS was implementing some strange Sunday schedule shift by officially pushing back start times by a half an hour. Or is that only on certain dates?

Comment by Saint Alicia – September 30, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • On nights when CBS has the NFL doubleheader, they will push the scheduled start of each show back to the 30 minutes mark, i.e. 60 Minutes – 7:30, TAR – 8:30, TGW – 9:30, TM – 10:30. That is when the DVR’s will start recording each show. However, FOX has the doubleheader this week, so CBS’s schedule will start on time unless you happen to be in one of the following markets – New York, St. Louis, Atlanta, Detroit, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, and Miami.

Comment by ragincajun – September 30, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • good to know, thanks!

Comment by Saint Alicia – September 30, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simpsons
    Giants
    Dexter
    Homeland

DVR:
    Boardwalk Empire
    666 Park Ave
    Family Guy
    Hell on Wheels

“Whew!”, is right!

Comment by Larissa – September 30, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The sad thing is this will be one of the easiest Sunday nights of the fall. Once The Walking Dead starts in a couple weeks the overloaded Sunday gets even worse!

Once, revenge/twd/boardwalk/dex, 666/homeland

Glad I have extra storage on my TiVo. I’ll be catching up on something in December! Lol

Comment by Mike – September 30, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will be watching:

once upon a time
    revenge
    The good wife
    Homeland
    666 Park Avenue

In that order.

Also, love the show but didn’t roger already open a bar in the attic in a previous episode of American Dad.

Comment by Martin – September 30, 2012 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn talk about a Busy Sunday NFL Football of course Once upon a Time Revenge 666 Park Avenue Dexter Homeland Fox’s Animation Domination Jeezus I’m glad I have a DVR for all this.

Comment by OnceFan316 – September 30, 2012 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Season 24 premiere: When almost all of his former girlfriends (voiced by Sarah Michelle Gellar, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Silverman and Natalie Portman) tell him to buzz off, Bart decides Mary Spuckler (New Girl‘s Zooey Deschanel) – now living in New York — is the love of his life. “She’s the one he hasn’t been able to get a hold of, so she’s the last hope,” executive producer Al Jean tells TVLine. When Lisa and Marge accompany Bart to the Big Apple, they wind up at a free Shakespeare production in the park that doesn’t go as planned.” Remember the episode where Lisa got lost on the other side of Springfield and couldn’t find her way home, so Homer had to go find her? Now these children go to NY on their own??? REALLY??

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 30, 2012 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Lisa and Marge accompany Bart…”

Marge is the mother.

Comment by Kermit – September 30, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its a cartoon….they are allowed to not follow logic

Comment by nate p – September 30, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW, a lot of people seem to be interested in ’666 Park Avenue’, definitely more than I expected. If that’s any indication, it could be a Revenge-style ‘surprise’ hit of the season.

Comment by mantua – September 30, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter, The Mentalist. Will be checking out 666 Park Avenue.

Whew! So many awesome shows on Sunday – when The Walking Dead returns in 2 weeks it’s going to get even crazier

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – September 30, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crazy busy night! I still have to coordinate things, but will most definitely watch:

OUAT
    Revenge
    666 Park Avenue (I want to at least sample this one)
    The Good Wife
    Dexter
    Homeland

Comment by Jenna – September 30, 2012 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC all the way for me! Can’t wait especially REVENGE love that show!!!

Comment by g.g72 – September 30, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sundays are crazy!

Dexter
    The Mentalist
    The Good Wife
    Homeland
    666 Park Avenue
    Once Upon A Time

Comment by GK – September 30, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUAT & Revenge, dvr The Amazing Race & 666 Park Avenue

Comment by Nick – September 30, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife or Dexter. #FirstWorldProblems.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – September 30, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time.

Comment by Kelly – September 30, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • excited for Once Upon A Time!

Comment by jesse – September 30, 2012 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC has found themselves one hell of a Sunday line-up. Will be watching ‘Revenge’, OUAT, 666PA, CBS’ TGW and Fox’s ‘American Dad’.

Sunday and Thursday are the best nights for television.

Comment by The Unassigned. (@Tha_Phoenix) – September 30, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. There will be some creative planning going into this line up.
    Once Upon a Time
    The Amazing Race
    Dexter
    The Good Wife
    Homeland
    The Mentalist (although….meh) :)

Comment by Kim R – September 30, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • will be watching once upon a time, bob’s burgers and revenge. want to check out 666 park avenue as well and really feel like homeland is something i should be watching.

Comment by murley – September 30, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My night is packed! Simpsons Family Guy and ABC’s jam packed night with the Debut of 666 Park Avenue and the return of the Phenomal Once upon a time and Revenge!

Comment by Josh – September 30, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter & Homeland. I’ll record Revenge and maybe that Park Avenue one.

Comment by Eliza – September 30, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sunday is definitely the busiest night on TV for me. Luckily I’ve got the Canadian networks working in my favor with no time slot conflicts or tape delays.

7:00 Once Upon a Time
    8:00 The Good Wife ( DVR The Mentalist)
    9:00 Amazing Race
    10:00 Revenge
    11:00 666 Park Avenue

The only thing not working for me is Homeland. Canadians get shafted cause it only airs on the Superchannel which for the channel alone is $15 a month. I have to find an online source or buy it off iTunes to see.

Comment by Christina – September 30, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just download it. It is really easy to find.

Comment by Sg. Grant – September 30, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once,Revenge

Comment by Brandy – September 30, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter
    Homeland
    Good Wife
    Mentalist
    Revenge
    Family Guy
    666 Park Avenue
    NFL

Walking Dead and Clevland Show when they start back.

Way too much on Sunday night, glad DTV came out with a new DVR for me.

Comment by BRUTUS – September 30, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its all about amazing race for me

Comment by Amanda – September 30, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I still can’t decide between The Good Wife and Revenge

Comment by Ethan – September 30, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Revenge for me! Especially since CBS always has to push back its shows on Sundays.

Comment by iMember – September 30, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the best shows are on tonight, starting with once upon a time then revenge and dexter, homeland and I’ll try 666 but don’t know which to watch live Revenge or Dexter they are both do good. Oh decisions

Comment by Patricia – September 30, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No mention of CALL THE MIDWIFE? Seems like TVLand has overlooked a premiere…

Comment by Simon Jester – September 30, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Call the WHAT now!

Comment by Dean – September 30, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time
    Revenge
    Homeland

Comment by BelleRumpleFan – September 30, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOOD WIFE, REVENGE, 666 PARK for me.

Comment by GCBoy – September 30, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without a doubt the best whole night of tv. I watched revenge with my girl on netflix this summer, I bought once upon a time dvd, loved both and can’t wait for tonight. Then we got 666 park which I really is as good as I think it will be. And then there is anamation domination I dvr those complete channels, abc and fox. And I go in the other room for Sunday night football.
    Good thing I don’t work on mondays cause I’m gonna be up late. I don’t know what to do when walking dead starts cause that’s one of my favs. Guess I gotta figure out which shows get put on demand the sooniest and not dvr that one.
    Anyways sundays are gonna be fun this year

Comment by nate p – September 30, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Stan tries to prove his manhood by getting a good price on a new car” havent we been here before in the episode where he loses his interegation skills because of a car salesman, guess have run out of ideas

Comment by Alan – September 30, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching The Amazing Race, OUAT, The Good Wife, Homeland, and The Mentalist.

Comment by CW – September 30, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sundays and Thursdays are such packed TV days! Can’t wait for Homeland, The Good Wife, Once Upon a Time, Revenge, and Downton Abbey (on ITV). I’ll watch 666 Park Ave to see what it’s about…but I seriously don’t need another show to add to my long lineup!

Comment by Mursal – September 30, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Recording shows to watch all week. OUAT, Call The Midwife, The Good Wife, Revenge, 666 Park Ave, Dexter, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Hell on Wheels and Copper. Not even joking when I say I’m concerned about my DVR overheating or choking.

Comment by Jason – September 30, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hehe You’re as bad as I am. My DVR is overloaded and I still don’t have time to watch everything I want to. Too many good shows and too little time.

Comment by Holly – September 30, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope 666 Park Avenue is as cheesy as I think it will be. More the cheese, more the fun!

Comment by Dean – September 30, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter, Homeland and The Good Wife! Of course I will also have to DVR The Mentalist in order to watch the entire episode of TGW.

Comment by Em – September 30, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boardwalk Empire at 9, Homeland at 10. Can’t get much better than that.

Comment by Superhero – September 30, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter. Maybe Once Upon a Time. Homeland and Revenge on the DVR. Thankfully, I am nowhere near caught up on the Good Wife, so my schedule is less crammed. Not looking for new shows, so 666 is out unless I hear amazing things about it down the line. Besides, its premiere will probably end up free on iTunes tomorrow anyway.

Comment by Emily – September 30, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s all about ABC tonight! Once, Revenge and 666 are gonna rock! DVR: The Good Wife. Sorry, boo!

Comment by Christian – September 30, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time, Revenge, & 666 Park Ave.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – September 30, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who even watches the simpsons anymore, it’s become a very lame show, not to mention it’s not even funny anymore. Family guy is much more funnier than that show.

Comment by icywinter2 – September 30, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post