Grey's Anatomy Preview: A Surprise Hook-Up, Plus a Finale in Which 'Anybody Could Go'

Grey's Anatomy Sarah DrewThe halls of Seattle Grace Hospital might be a little less crowded next season, thanks to a cliffhanger finale in which “anybody could go,” Grey’s Anatomy star Sarah Drew reveals to TVLine. But before the residents can leave the nest, they have to pass the boards, the stress of which will send Drew’s virginal April into bed with her best friend in this Thursday’s episode (ABC, 9/8c)!

Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 54 Big Finishes — Including Grey’s Anatomy!

TVLINE | Am I crazy or are Kepner and Avery getting it on in the promo for this week’s episode?!
[Laughs] They’re definitely hooking up, but I cannot reveal whether she loses her virginity or not.

TVLINE | When your characters entered the series, they were the two newbies and they were friends, so it made sense for them to go there. Are you surprised that it’s taken so long?
I was actually surprised when I read the script that they would hook up because they are such good friends. They’ve been established as sort of a brother/sister, best-friend relationship. I actually didn’t even see it coming. Once the storyline started playing out, I was looking online and realizing that there are a lot of people really rooting for them to get together, which is kind of funny because I was definitely not expecting it. But just because they make out in this episode, that does not mean they’re becoming a couple. They have a really interesting journey as they’re navigating having crossed this line a little bit over the next four episodes. It’s really fun, really interesting and pretty unique. And I really loved working with Jesse [Williams].

TVLINE | What leads them to this moment? It’s so out of the blue.
Yeah, it does feel totally out of the blue. It all is associated with the crazy energy and stress and anxiety of the boards. All these [residents] have been working for [years] for this moment, and they’ve been studying their asses off and working super hard. This is the defining moment that catapults them into their actual careers. It’s super high anxiety and super high stress. Everybody deals with that stress in different ways. April’s way is that she’s so stressed out, she’s like literally jumping out of her skin. That’s what motivates this moment. And then we’ll see the fallout of making that decision to flirt with that line with her best friend. She is jumping out of her skin and just wants to make out. He’s a really safe bet because they’re so close.

TVLINE | The promo also shows her punching somebody.
[Laughs] There are some surprising things that come out about April in this episode that you would not think that she would be capable of. That is all part of the anxiety and the heightened reality of the moment. Part of her jumping out of her skin is also yelling at Meredith and punching a guy in the face and making out with her best friend. [Laughs]

Hot Grey’s Anatomy Video Sneak Peek: Mark Confesses to Lexie, ‘I Need You’

TVLINE | It sounds like you got to do a lot of things that have been a long time coming for her.
Oh yeah! The last four episodes for April are really fun. We really do see a huge transformation of her character, and all these different shades and colors of who she is come out that we haven’t seen before.

Grey's Anatomy Sarah DrewTVLINE | We know that one of the residents will fail the boards. Should we be worried?
Basically, all of the residents are up for jobs at other places. Everybody’s future is totally uncertain by the end of the episode. Everybody’s being offered jobs. Yes, there is one person who fails, but that doesn’t put that person in a different boat than everybody else. Everybody else is potentially going and working at other hospitals in other places. It’s still very cliffhangery for all of the characters, especially all of the [residents]. But yes, there is one person who fails, which ends up creating a lot of drama for everybody.

TVLINE | Is April leaning toward going away or staying at Seattle Grace?
Everybody wants to go away. They’ve all been training for this, to fly out of the nest and go to the places that have the best programs for what their specialties are. She doesn’t really reveal what her top choice is and where she wants to go, but everybody wants to keep their options open and take whatever offer’s the best. Nobody feels married to Seattle Grace just because it’s Seattle Grace. Everyone just wants to do what’s best for their careers.

Grey’s Anatomy First Look: Meredith and Friends ‘Suit Up’ for the Moment of Truth

TVLINE | There’s a lot of speculation about who from the original cast will be back next season. Are you definitely sticking around?
Nobody knows. As the actors, we don’t get our official pickups for the next season until the middle of June. Basically, every character is left in a cliffhanger at the end of this [season]. … It’s really up in the air. But we do this every season. Every season, we wait until the middle of June to find out if we’re coming back. That’s just how it works for actors on TV shows. There’s no certainty for anybody.

TVLINE | Is it weird filming the finale not knowing if you’ll see these people again? Is there a sense of like, “Goodbye, this could be the last time we ever film something together”?
Yeah, totally. It’s been super emotional. For me, it’s always emotional at the end of a season just because there is that possibility that it might not just be a break. It could be the end. … You just sort of get used to that; it’s par for the course. But it’s definitely been extra emotional because it’s such a huge cliffhanger episode where really anybody could go.

TVLINE | What can you tease about the season finale?
There is a huge story that happens. For half of the people, it happens outside of the hospital, and then the other half are in the hospital and don’t know that this big thing has happened. It will forever change everybody’s relationships. I am on the edge of my seat because I want to know what’s going to happen at the beginning of Season 9. [Laughs] It is that gigantic of a cliffhanger. It’s really intense, really emotional. Everyone was crying and shell-shocked at the table read. It’s huge.

1. Daniel alvarez says:

! Stop spoilering the finale beacuse it makes me more ansious to see it!! i already wana see it :/ WHO THE HELL is going to die????? Im hoping it’s the chief! I dont care about him! And the others are too important to me (the other original cast members i mean)

Is it may 17th yet???

• dude says:

The Chief would make sense since they’ve wrapped up his story with Adele and really have nothing for him to do. That also makes it a really weak cliffhanger if it is the Cheif since there’s no stakes.

• Annie says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but we don’t know if ANYONE is gonna die yet. This and every other fluff promo interview I’ve seen from cast or Shonda seems to indicate no decisions have been made yet, which is in line with the official story that no contracts have been (re)negotiated yet. What I’m having trouble with is the whole “plane crash goes down with half the cast onboard” (or whatever) crap, two seasons after the big massacre, which was one year or whatever after George got hit by a bus and Izzy flatlined from cancer …. I mean, REALLY. How freakin’ unlucky can one hospital staff be? It strains credulity, and Grey’s was always at its best when it was *real.*

• amberjj says:

tvguide has all the latest info on the greys finale. id check that out if i were you…..and yes, it has been confirmed someone will die. :(

• diablo says:

Grey’s has never been “real”…bomb squad in season 2? Falling in love with a dying patient and killing him? Oooooo so realistic!

• Mia says:

Have you worked in a hospital? I have, and let me tell you, what happens on this show is just barely or rarely far from what you hear about in real life. Hospitals are places where the best and worst happen. We all know from the PoV of the patients, but actually meeting the staff shows that they aren’t so great themselves.

• greysfan says:

Something tells me its Adele. She is deteriorating rapidly and in a way the storyline has come to an end. She would be the one i pick to die. As for who failed the boards it could be anyone. My guess is Meredith because she was the only one which really didn’t have much emphasis on. They like to fool you like that. The obvious one is Alex. It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

• JBS says:

I hope you’re talking about Owen when you say chief

2. Courtney says:

A cliffhanger of a season finale. This summer is going to suck!

3. kateshomesick says:

I don’t want April, Jackson or Alex to fail the test but my gut tells me that it’s going to be one of them…they are in my opinion the weakest “strong” characters so they seem destined to be the ones failing like this.

• Annie says:

I have a feeling it’s gonna be Cristina. Last week’s “everyone’s courting Cristina in increasingly outrageous ways” storyline was waaaay too much of a setup.

4. Saint Alicia says:

As long as Meredith, Derek and Cristina don’t die I’m good. Though I fear Cristina is the one who fails the boards, which might somehow set up a chain of events to cause her death… hope I’m wrong. :(

• susela says:

Sandra Oh is absolutely essential to this show, more than any of the other actors. It will nosedive if she leaves.

5. ggny says:

im happy Sarah Drew stuck around ive grown to like April

6. Matt says:

I really hope that the don’t get April and Jackson in a relationship. I might be fine with a hook up, but I want them as friends. Why can’t anybody have a friend of the opposite sex without having sex with them? I like that about this 2 and now they’ll cross the line. I just hope it’s a one night thing and that they can find love outside their frienship. And c’on, everyone sleeps with everybody there. Jackson-Lexie, Lexie-Mark, Mark-Callie, Callie-Karev… can’t they meet someone from the ouside world?

• CJ says:

I understand being frustrated by the fact that TV shows don’t seem to be able to portray opposite sex friendships without “going there,” but it’s realistic: it’s virtually impossible for two attractive, straight people of the opposite sex to be good friends without at least entertaining the idea of hooking up. You already have the rapport, trust and intimacy–how can you NOT have the possibility of having that last step? It would be like living in Orlando all your life and never thinking about going to DisneyWorld.

• Sophie says:

Mer/alex friendship is the example that it is possible to be friends and never sleep together. The only way i can see one failing th board affecting everybody is if Mer is the one failing, as she is still the main link between all the characters. I hope nobody dies… It’s just too many deaths is this show

7. Amanda says:

I dont think that patrick dempsey is coming back. He and ellen pompeo were not sure.

8. Ana says:

The ‘friends with benefits’ thing is being done to death at GA. Time to stop and for people to respect boundaries. I mean, it destroyed Callie’s marriage, it damaged Mer and George’s friendship and it nearly caused the demise of Callie and Arizona as a couple. April and Jackson have great chemistry and they are awesome together. Either make them a couple or friends without benefits, please. Don’t ruin them.
    Of all the articles floating around about the finale, I like this one the best. Sarah has very eloquently and effectively conveyed the sense of loss and tragedy while also being hopeful for S9. Nicely done.
    As far as who dies, I know it will not be Mer. That would kill the show. As long as it’s not Callie or Arizona, I can handle it. Although if it’s Cristina I don’t know what I will do. Alex is not my fave and I balled my eyes out when he got shot. I screamed when Bailey faced Gary Clark, but Cristina with the gun to her head was just traumatic. I can’t even…. I swear that Shonda gets extra brownie points from ABC for every tear that she makes the fans shed. Between Greys and Private Practice I’m a hot mess…

9. A says:

Shonda is just killing people left and right. First Henry and now a beloved character. One things for sure, she can’t kill Meredith or Christina. They are what makes the show.

• Meg says:

I don’t know. Henry seemed like a throwaway character to me. Never really served much of a purpose, other than to make Teddy seem…not Teddy.

10. amberjj says:

i worried most for derek, owen, arizona, and chief webber…..i feel that they are the ones most likely to die, and i honestly dont think i could handle that..yikes!

11. aallen says:

Has anyone considered the person who dies is Adele?

12. aallen says:

…and April is the one who fails her boards?

13. Amy says:

Can we say plane crash full of residents returning from their boards as the catastrophe?

• Ana says:

That wouldn’t work because the boards are this week and they all come back and we find out who passed and who failed. Also, Sara made it clear that while this ‘event’ is taking place, half the crew is at the hospital which includes April, Alex and Avery. So they would appear to be out of harm’s way.

• A says:

while that would be tragic. I think that would make for one entertaining hour of Grey’s.

14. Ali says:

From what I’m gathering, Jackson either dies or kills himself due to failing his boards and April, Christina, Meredith etc. are the ones who find out first and deal with it before the other characters at the hospital are aware. The promo showed them looking all gloomy, like somebody dies. April finally gets into a relationship then the guy dies within hours/days. That’s my guess. Jackson is one of the weaker characters IMO. I won’t really miss him. I wish they’d get Adam Baldwin on the show now that he’s free. That could be interesting.

• CJ says:

The boards/results are THIS week, though, and the “something happens” is the season finalé,which is a few weeks away. Also, Jesse Williams and Sarah Drew are much more recent additions to the show, so their contracts shouldn’t be up for renewal like those who have been with the show from the beginning.

• Amiee says:

There have been plenty of actors with contracts in place that were killed off. Just because you have a contract doesn’t mean you are guaranteed to stay. If the writers want to kill you off you are gone.

• BeckyN says:

I hope you’re correct about Jackson. I think he’s a worthless character. Maybe Jesse Williams wants to concentrate on movies. I hope so.

15. jessica says:

Its derek that dies cause pd most likely didn’t re-sign for season 9

16. nycbadgirl says:

I have this sinking feeling that it will be Zola or Sofia. Kids on a show is often the kiss of death (no pun intended). It’s possible that it’s Bailey’s boyfriend Ben or Adele, too. I suppose it could be Arizona since the actress is pregnant with her third baby and may want to be a full time mom to them. It has been reported by extras on the set that Sara Ramirez and Jessica Capshaw don’t exactly have the best working relationship. So Jessica may want off the show for that reason as well.

• Roza says:

Really? who said that?” Sara Ramirez and Jessica Capshaw don’t exactly have the best working relationship”? it’s the first time i hear about this crap,all i know is that Sara & Jessica work just great together and both of them so proud of thier working and the amount of fans out there”me one of them” who are so in love with them both!

17. Hugo says:

Christina, Meredith and Alex have to survive, they are my fave ones.
    By the way, it is hinted a shocking death so I assume it isn’t Adele…
    Probably the character who dies is among Derek, Arizona or the Chief …
    About the kids… are they a beloved characters? Maybe Zola, but I don’t think she’s the one who die.
    However, whoever is that bites the dust, this season finale is expected to be tearing and tragic… tears will flow.

18. Jenks says:

My two cents: Earthquake.

19. kateshomesick says:

Owen? If he dies shortly after he’s made up with Christina…that would be a real Shonda move but I could also see it being Jackson…please don’t- I love that guys character. He is one of the few characters without the fake drama and the prospect of going into further interesting storylines with him, I like. As much as I dig the “drama” I love the ‘real’ characters that balance it out even more (April, Jackson, Webber, Aldman)…

• BeckyN says:

No offense but I think Jackson is no more than window dressing on Grey’s Anatomy. That’s why he’s not shown in any “fake drama.” He’s either vogueing for the camera–the piercing blue eyes shot, or taking his shirt off. ;)

20. Ethan says:

$20 says Cristina fails the board

21. Marie says:

My guess is Webber or Bailey, and Meredith has to try to save the person’s life, cause that would be full circle from those two being her mentors since the beginning.

22. sarah says:

It has been confirmed that some one will day on many sites. We know it is not April as Sarah Drew said as much! I think it will be Christina!

23. maggs says:

It has to be original beacuse they are the only ones with contracts up and able to leave… So it has to be derek dying beacuse patrick probly didn’t resign and that derek dying affects every chacter some how

• susela says:

Patrick Dempsey has indicated an interest in returning, especially if he can appear in fewer episodes so he can have more time with his family. And Ellen Pompeo has also said she’d be open to returning.

24. susela says:

I feel that having someone fail the boards is sloppy writing. It’s a repeat of when George failed whatever test it was that they took as interns. Surely they could come up with a fresher plot.

25. greysfan says:

Ooh stop the spoiling. I want the episode now. lol. Can’t wait to see it after last years pretty dull and boring finale. Grey’s is surely going to go out with a bang and i’m excited to see how it plays out. If someone is going to die i would say The Chief but then again this is Grey’s so expect anything and everything.

Thinking Meredith or Cristina might fail the boards based on what i am thinking although it again could be anyone. Bring on the last few weeks.

26. Deb says:

Owen dies so Yang stays. April fails…she sucked as chief resident.

27. judy says:

it has to be an orginal beacuse everybody else is under contract so out of ellen, patrick, sandra, justin, chandra, and james… so it has to be derek dying

28. I hate cliffhanger finales!!! No!!!!

29. Farrah says:

I’m betting between April b/c the I love Jesus comment commits suicide, Richard has a heart attack cause of the guilt of cheating on Adele, or Karev’s heart issue catches up to him after ratting everyone to the boards and having everyone pissed off at him that they feel terrible for being mean to him and with that said Karev is the stronger candidate because Katherine heigl changed her views on Grey’s Anatomy as if hinting she’d be back. So bye Karev you will be missed.