Once Upon a Time: Emilie de Ravin to Return as Belle! Plus, a Frenemy Is Back!

Once Upon a Time Emilie de RavinLost beauty Emilie de Ravin will return to ABC’s Once Upon a Time, TVLine has confirmed.

Additionally, True Blood vamp Kristin Bauer van Straten will be back as the Evil Queen’s fairy tale frenemy Maleficent in a May sweeps installment.

Once Upon a Time Sneak Peek: Mr. Gold Investigates August in a Rumpel-Heavy Episode

De Ravin, who plays Rumpel’s true love Belle, will reprise her role in an episode airing next month. While her fairy tale character was recently seen giving love advice to dwarf Grumpy, it’s been a while since viewers have glimpsed her Storybrooke counterpart, who has been locked up in a ward by Regina.

“She’s sitting there [alive], with the person who loves her [Rumpelstiltskin] not realizing it, and he would be someone I would not want to piss off,” co-creator Eddie Kitsis previously teased.

The casting scoops were first reported by TV Guide Magazine.

Once Upon a Time fans, are you excited for Belle and Maleficent’s returns? Who else would you like to see make another appearance?

1. foguer says:

I never liked Belle&Rumpel story, they ruined my favourite fairy tale, but I’m happy to see Maleficient again¡

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

Then you are in the minority, everyone else I know went crazy over Skin Deep. That is still my favorite episode.

• daniexj says:

Well, I agree with you foguer!! And don’t think you’re in the minority. They totally ruined it. The writers of the episode seemed not to be able to grasp one of the big themes of the story. (at least, the most well known version of it, the Disney story)…. The Beast, who was beastly looking was the ‘good guy’ (Though a bit grumpy) while the ‘human’ who was ‘pretty and handsome’ was the ‘bad guy’, the monster…. the liar… The beast, wasn’t a beast. That’s the whole reason the entire movie…. worked.

But, Maleficent might have some legs. Guess we’ll see if they can pull themselves out of the sinkhole they’ve put themselves in with the help of the ‘favorite’ Disney villain and her black unicorn.

• kmg says:

Daniexj, that’s exactly WHY I loved the Belle episode! I love it when the show “plays” with the familiar fairy tales that we’ve all seen for years. Who says that the Disney-fied takes on those old stories (which, BTW, were VERY different from the original tales themselves) are now the only version that’s “right”? I think Rumple is absolutely a beast in this version of the tales, and making him the Beast for Belle was a really cool idea. I think what made the Disney version work was the theme of “love can change the heart of the beast”… And that was what happened to Rumple.

• xav says:

It didn’t change him that much. He emotionally manipulated her and punished her for how he felt. Did horrible things before, during and after their time together so all it really did was change how he felt about how hilarious it was to keep one girl locked up forever away from all human contact.

• anne says:

You clearly never grasped what Beauty and the Beast was truly about. The point of the story is too look beyond appearance. The Beast is someone that you are not suppose to initially love, he is someone you grow to love. I have grown to love Rumpelstiltskin’s character so the story worked for me.

• Ben says:

I agree with this. I’ve always had a feeling with Rumplestiltskin that their long game is to make him a hero or likable, and that he will land on the same side of the fence as Emma and for the right reasons. In this context, the Beauty and the Beast story might work out great. Frankly, though, they aren’t strictly sticking to any of the stories particularly. I wish EdR would be a series regular next season.

• Templar says:

It’s called Stockholm syndrome.

• Tarc says:

And the Disney version is the cheesy ‘lite’ version of most older versions. *shrugs*

• Kat says:

No, the Rumbelle haters DEFINITELY are in the minority. Take a look around social media and how the majority are abuzz with excitement over this couple.

• daniexj says:

What, so now because I don’t love Rump (though I liked Robert C. on SG:Universe for the most part) I’m a hater. C’mon now. Just because I don’t agree with your point of view doesn’t mean that I’m a hater….

Wait, what am I doing? I’m trying to convince a shipper on a comment board that just because I don’t ship their ship I’m not a hater. What am I doing? ‘Cause, no matter what I say I’ll be the enemy because you need your hetero-normative storyline to triumph while the big bad scary woman gets killed right?? *sigh* What can ya do I guess…

• malignb says:

“…trying to convince a shipper on a comment board that just because I don’t ship their ship I’m not a hater.” LMAO. What? Try expanding your vocabulary.
            And btw, just the way you so eagerly use the term shipper, sometimes a hater is just used to describe someone who doesn’t like something. Get over it.

• Sarah says:

Yeah, while some don’t like Rumbelle, it’s a very small percentage compared to the lovers. I’m shocked at the huge following they got from just 1 episode!

• prish says:

I loved the belle/gold/beast storyline idea. Pure genius. It created real depth and hooked me for good!

• xav says:

You’re not alone. I didn’t like it either.

• anne says:

Belle was not emotionally manipulated by Rumpelstiltskin. She went with Rumpelstiltskin willingly. She was happy living with Rumpelstiltskin and listening to him tell her stories. She even admitted to him that she wanted adventure and to get away from her family. Rumpelstiltskin did not punish Belle, he her let her go. If he were to actually have punished her he would have physically hurt which he did not or had never let her leave. If anyone manipulated Belle it was the Evil Queen.

• xav says:

But she didn’t go with him willingly. His price for helping her kingdom was her, coming with him forever. It was either her say no and her kingdom suffer and die or go with them. Clear case of coercion. She may have wanted adventure but his plan was to keep her away from everyone forever. And he did punish her by locking her in a dungeon, for being NICE to him even. It doesn’t need to physical for it to be punishment.

• Sunny says:

Wasn’t too crazy about it either. The acting was great and saved it for me, but the story was rather meh and too Disneyfied for my taste. Might be another “unpopular” opinion but the original fairytale is so much better than the Disney movie.

• Tarc says:

They didn’t ‘ruin’ anything. They merely took one of thousands of takes on the classic. You just didn’t like it. Oh well – lots of people thought it was inspired..

• daniexj says:

Tarc, snd so… if we didn’t feel like they actually ‘changed anything’ that what, makes us trolls? or wrong, or people who should just shut up??

Changing something would be making the beast gay, belle a guy… and then ‘not looking at appearances’ or whatever. That’d be inspired…. this is just insipid and the usual. All of the fairy tales so far are… it’s sad.

• Zack B says:

Meh – gay Beauty and the Beast has been done. It isn’t inspired at all. I’m enjoying watching the disgreement unfold here. It seems to me to be a great way to show off the human still in Rumplestiltskin by pairing him to the least judgmental woman in all of literature.

• Nooo! Rumpelle is amaaaaaaazing! Don’t hate :'(

2. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Emilie de Ravin spoiled this on her twitter feed last month. She’s in the season finale.

• mack says:

this i guess the writer jane espenson “spoiled” it too when she said it on her twitter as well. as did the creators. lmao.

• Tessa says:

lol, yep. And then she deleted the tweets but not before people already screencapped them

The Huntsman/Graham is going to be back in the finale too, so you don’t have to write an article about that

3. Sunny says:

Hell yes, Maleficent! Kept hoping for a while now that we would see her again this season. I wonder if this means they’re digging into the Sleeping Beauty fairytale and she’ll appear in fairytale world only. It would be great to see her in Storybrooke too.

4. xav says:

I know lots of people are excited for Belle but she left me rather cold after her rather disturbing storyline so I’m meh on her. I’m way more excited to see Maleficent. But also worried because they’ve lined up a lot of guest stars with heavy exposition to fit into a episodes that are made even quicker by being cut in half.

• Leo says:

Definitely agreed. I think Belle is too overrated. She just fell flat for me and I don’t really like her ‘too keen’ acting and her accent seems so fake. It’s just my opinion though. I’d take Cinderella-gold-digger any day.

5. I’m soooooo excited! I love this storyline and a big part of that is anticipating when Rumple finds out and goes completely nuts on Regina. ::shiver:: Antici…….pation.

• Sarah Thomas says:

I know I can’t wait for Rumple to completely go YOU WHAT?! on Regina lol or I hope so at least

• FairyTaleLover says:

You and me both! It’s going to be so good to watch that realization come across Mr. Gold’s face. He is going to destroy Regina for that.

• daniexj says:

Ah, delightful. More of ‘the male bad guy isn’t a baddd guy just has been wronged’… Rump got himself into his problem, Snow’s the one who got Regina into hers…. and yet, everyone feels bad for Rump and no one (other than Parilla’s Evil Regals) seem to give a crap about Regina, and wants her destroyed…

This is why the US is going in the crapper. It’s okay to demonize women in a way that’s totally unacceptable with men. It’s sad.

• Kat says:

@daniexj Take a chill pill, It’s a show about fairytales! Geez.

• daniexj says:

Have ya watched the Republican primaries? What’s happening on these comment boards is symptomatic of a larger problem in our society.

Fiction is always fiction, as well as being more. It can be viewed on multiple levels. I chose not to view it on the fangirl level. It’s my choice, you get to chose on what level you wish to view it as well.

And yes, I’m done, y’all and your shippers can go crazy railing against whomever you wish.

• Kat says:

Aw, well, thanks, daniexj. You’re right, fiction is always fiction, and it’s a relief from reality! Just learn to enjoy fantasy and if a certain show or storyline doesn’t appeal to you, then don’t watch!

• Anna says:

Nothing wrong with being a “shipper” (I really hate people have adopted that silly term, though) or fangirl; it’s just a show and if we find it or a certain show enjoyable, nothing wrong with that. Don’t know why you’re having a fit about it.

• Anna says:

Oops, meant it’s just a show and if we find it or a certain CHARACTER enjoyable, nothing wrong with that. Also would like to add that life is short and already plenty stressful to try to look too deep into fantasy and get too serious about the issues one might find within it.

• Valey says:

Oh, for crying out loud! I too am a fan of Beauty and the Beast-type of dark romances, and this weirdo on a message board once told me I was probably the kind of person who writes letters to prisoners and ends up falling in love with them. Um, what/whom I choose to support in my favorite movies and TV shows is in no way a reflection of how I live out in the real world! If an actor is charismatic enough, he/she might be able to make the bad guy/girl sympathetic, that’s all. There’s no deeper, underlying issue for me there. If somebody wants to get into politics or how society views/treats women, I don’t think this is the place for it. We’re talking about a TV show called Once Upon a Time, after all.

• Lisa B says:

Daniexj, your comments seem to be pointedly provocative, so I’m not sure if you’re sincere in your comments or just trying to get a reaction, but either way, to me that is a *really* interesting comment, even given the fact that the archetype of the “wicked witch” was not invented by the creators or writers of OUAT. In point of fact, it didn’t even originate in the US. The US has given us amazing works such as the book and theater production of “Wicked” and the amazing “Into the Woods,” among others, so I don’t really buy your point there.

To me, the point of the show is not to show that all women with power are evil… I believe the point is that there is darkness in everyone, and power makes it harder to fight that darkness. There is always the possibility for redemption ~ for Regina as much as for Rumple ~ and I’m sure much more to their stories than we know thus far. To me, that’s what makes the twists in the stories so fascinating ~ because either of them could go either way in the end.

That being said, there are times when I wish the show would delve a little deeper… I know these creators and writers have the capability to do so (and I won’t discuss Ben in ‘Lost,’ even though I really want to.)

I give a lot of the credit for viewers’ sympathetic reaction to Rumple to Robert Carlyle, whose acting has been simply magnificent. There is a magnetism and depth to him that brings his character all kinds of depth, even beyond the material he’s given. I think Lana Parrilla had the opportunity to do so with her character in this last episode and get us to root for her, but she failed to do so. She is a good actress, but her scenes with the stableboy and with her mother lacked depth and believablity to me. Her turnaround was simply too rushed, and based solely on jealousy. She didn’t turn on Snow solely because, as an abused child, she couldn’t bear to blame her mother ~ she turned on an innocent child because Snow had something Regina would never have ~ a good mother who loved her. And Regina *did* get herself into her own problem… she *CHOSE* to embrace the jealousy and darkness in herself. Like Rumple, no matter how heartbreaking the reason may be, each is responsible for his/her own actions.

Granted, Regina’s scenes in this last episode were rushed… yet even when Robert Carlyle is on the screen for only a brief scene that centers around another character, he is incredibly compelling and always gives us a glimpse inside his character.

• Cindy says:

Thank you I was feeling the same way about Regina. Sunday episode showed a sign of her that made me soften a bit hoping she comes to her sences and realizes her problem is her mother,

• Well, I can’t speak for the majority of the country, only for myself. I am a villain lover. I enjoy complex conflicted characters and in most movies/TV that is the villain. I love Regina and when Graham started chasing Emma I was also gleefully anticipating Regina finding out and going all Evil Queen on them (by the way, that was an awesome pay off). As a theatre major I find Robert Carlisle’s portrayal of Rumple to be inspiried and pitch perfect and I was super scared about this episode because I didn’t know if they could make Belle and Beast falling in love believeable in just one episode. Emilie and Robert were amazing. They pulled it off and gave us a huge set up for an explosion down the road. That is all you can ask of an episode of serialized TV. So please save your feminist rants for someone who deserves them. I am not a shipper, a fangirl or anything else. I am just a person who passionatly loves the theatre in all it’s forms and appreciates a well developed character and a perfectly executed plot line. Generally speaking I think that people who only care about relationships in a show ruin it. Romance plot lines should almost always be secondary to an ACTUAL plot line for the show not to be sappy which gets old really fast. Just like Snow and Charming. The show is not about their romance, it just happens to be in the show.

• rmb says:

Regina killed her own dad so she could spite Snow. She is evil.

6. I just wish that Emilie would kill that fake accent thing Belle has….. It throws me off even more than the cheap green screen scenes we had/still have sometimes in fairy tale world…

• xav says:

But it’s her real accent

• daniexj says:

I’m not laughing.. Nope, not chortling uncontrollably. Ouch to Emilie…. :)

• mack says:

sounds like we have ourselves a few trolls in here. yup.

• Hannah says:

No offense, but I think you might want to look up the definition of a ‘troll’ again. It’s not ‘everyone who doesn’t love my favorite character/actor/story as much as I do’. ;)

• daniexj says:

Not a troll, just thought it was humorous that it is her real accent and people think it’s fake.

I apologize for having an opinion (for the record, that’s sarcasm).

• Anna says:

Well, it does kind of make you a troll when you have nothing better to do but pick on how a person talks.

• Sarah says:

That’s Emilie’s real Australian accent. Nothing fake about it.

• Thankyou girls. As an aussie from the same state as Emilie, her accent in a bit unique It sounds dustinctly New Zealander. Emilie herself says its her original accent with a ‘periodesque, refined quality’, specifically cultivated for the role of Belle.

• Trina says:

The accent is real.

7. Olivia says:

Yes yes yes! Loved this story line, and I was a huge fan of Beauty and the Beast. I also cannot wait for Rumple to find out, and the scene between Robert and Lana afterwards will be fantastic :)

• Valey says:

I actually love both Robert and Lana. Without them (or rather, with different actors) I don’t think the show would have as much interest for me.

• Dennis in Salem says:

I’m not so sure there will be a “scene” between Robert & Lana afterwards. Gold’s character doesn’t always react verbally. Once he finds out what Regina did to Belle, he’s likely to seeth and then plot something quietly behind the scenes that destroy’s the Queen.

8. Sarah says:

So excited! I love Belle and love her with Rumpel. Can’t wait to see what’s up with her Storybrooke counterpart.

9. Brenna says:

Best news I’ve heard all day!!! Love rumple :)

10. Kristina says:

I wonder if this has anything with his motive for what looks like him breaking his deal with Regina in next week’s episode? (based on the promo, so strictly speculation)

11. Liz S. says:

Ah I’m so happy! Can’t wait!

12. katie says:

So excited to see Belle’s return! Emilie de Ravin is the perfect actress for her, and the story line, writing, acting was so well done. I wish they would have her in more. I’m disappointed in Maleficent though. The actress is amazing, but the character of Maleficent is more majestic, she flowed and seeped with pure evil. This character seems more cartoony and silly. All in all, I’m still excited for the episodes, just more for Belle/Emilie de Ravin.

• Agreed. Maleficent has always been my favorite villain because she is pure unredeemed evil and she has a biting snarky wit. I was very let down with her being portrayed as weaker than the evil Queen. Also, a unicorn… really? Blech

13. Patti says:

I am so happy Belle is back. Emilie de Ravin is wonderful in the role and I loved what Once Upon a Time did with the story. Belle and Rumpel have amazing chemistry. I wish Belle could stay around in storybrooke for good as a regular.

14. Robin says:

I’d be thrilled if she became a series regular. :)

15. Amarain says:

Excited to have Belle back. The trolls needs to get a life.

16. Matthew says:

I dislike when people dislike something because it is different than a previous telling. The previous telling will always be there, it isn’t going anywhere. If you dislike it because it was awful that is one thing, but disliking it because it isn’t the exact same story you already know is just ridiculous.

• malignb says:

But some people will label something as awful precisely because it is not like the original (or, what they believe to be the original). They can’t look past that and will bash a different version at every turn (and I’m actually thinking more about films here than this show, but still relates to the topic).

17. BelleRumpleFan says:

Awesome news! I’m so glad that Belle will be back.

18. Josh says:

Im stoked for Belle returning maybe we will find out if she knows somehow that’s she Belle in Storybrooke

19. P says:

Oh Maleficent will be back? Yay! That’s something I haven’t heard yet.

20. FairyTaleLover says:

I am so looking forward to Mr. Gold/ Rumplestilskin finding out Belle is alive and well and Regina is keeping her locked up. That is going to be an awesome showdown. Mr. Gold is going to destroy Regina. At least the evil bitch might finally get her comeuppance.

• xav says:

Perhaps having Belle locked up is Gold’s comeuppance. He did, after all, murder and screw over people for over a century and even made the curse.

21. Lauren says:

I heard a story about an Australian actress who went for an audition and was showing them her different accents, and they told her afterward that they were all great except her Australian one sounded fake. They couldn’t believe it when she told them it was her real accent.
    I guess Australian accents sound fake to Americans? She sounds normal to me, and I’m Australian.

• Kat says:

LOL. Don’t listen to ignorant people, Lauren.

• jen says:

i second that. ignorant/intolerant people often are so insecure within themselves that they have to put down others to make themselves feel better. australian accents(and people) are awesome!

• Jen says:

most americans expect her to sound like the guy on the Outback Steakhouse commercial. ignorance is what is causing this confusion. i’m american and was in no way thrown off by her accent (which i knew was her actual voice) – my boyfriend was relaly confused by it though.

22. Kat says:

“Skin Deep” was the episode that got me hooked on this show, so I can’t wait to have Belle back. I’m so excited for the moment he finds out Belle is alive! I’m not so sure she and Rumple/Gold will get their happy ending, but it’s still a wonderful story. In my eyes, Robert Carlyle makes the show, or has at least become a big part of it with fans, and it would be wise for the writers to expand it.

• heat20 says:

Same here. But I think we won’t get to find out what happens with Gold and Regina until next season. Belle will probably not appear until the few last minutes of the season finale or so and be part of the cliffhanger. Or so I suspect.

• malignb says:

A season two has not been confirmed as far as I know, but speculation is that it will be renewed, so you just might be right about the cliffhanger.

23. Zack B says:

When Mr. Gold finds out what Regina did there will be no showdown. It’s probably how the show will end.

Mr. Gold: Go kill yourself in the most humiliating way possible. PLEASE.
    Regina: See you later. (jumps off the troll bridge naked onto bewildered Emma’s pocket knife thus fulfilling the prophecy since Emma seems pleased to be in the dark and Mr. Gold seems pleased to make things happen as he promised)
    Curse over.

24. Todd Schotta says:

I absolutely cherished both versions of the story.

25. Tee says:

In general, the writers just don’t seem to do the guest stars they get justice. It’s a shame, they’ve really had some good ones. Looking forward to seeing Maleficent and Belle again though, even if my expectations are a lot lower this time.

26. Felicia says:

The episode “Skin Deep” was BY FAR the best OUAT episode! The Rumpelstiltskin/Belle story was AMAZING. So amazing that I have watched that episode about 12 times so far :) It was a really good spin on the story and they make such a perfect couple! I would love for Belle to become more of a regular character on the show!

27. tarasis says:

I liked the Belle / Rumple story line so I’m looking forward to seeing her come back. Be nice if she became a regular next year.

28. Joanne says:

I would like to know what happened to Fredrick? And Kathryn?? There are several other characters that haven’t been addressed. I hope the second season is as good as the first. I absolutely love this story.

29. Eva says:

Well I really think that Ariel should come like and jasmine I know they haven’t been on yet but plzzz I really love those 2 characters even sleeping beauty plz! (not sure if there was beauty yet)

30. Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and everything.

However imagine if you added some great photos or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!

Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could certainly be one of the most beneficial in its field.
    Excellent blog!

31. Dani says:

Honestly, I can’t stand Belle…but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I supported Rumbelle.Our gold-weaver needs someone to anchor him from his magic addiction, I HATE what the writers did to her character. Belle is supposed to be this strong, intelligent, self-reliant woman. Instead, they turned her into this ditzy little idiot (a lot of people say the Disney Belle suffered Stockholm syndrome, but I’d like to argue that OUAT’s Belle has a more severe case.) The only things I like about Belle are her dresses and her really cute accent. Now I love Emilie de Ravin, but…this…this is just downright insulting to a good character, a beautiful fairy tale and a wonderful actress.

32. weight says:

I am a writer, but I’m definitely not of your quality. I know your time and effort it took
    you to publish this material. It truly is interesting and amazing
    in my novel.