Nashville Season 3 Finale Recap: Whose Flatline Is It Anyway?

Nashville Finale

The following contains spoilers from Nashville‘s Season 3 finale. (Because it would be a terrible recap if it didn’t.)

Nashville‘s fourth season needs to get here, STAT.

While I do not actually believe that a series built on the promise of Rayna Jaymes reuniting with soulmate Deacon Claybourne would eliminate one half of that equation at this point, I’d feel a lot better knowing for certain that the EKG flatline we see at the end of the Season 3 finale isn’t hooked up to his strapping, just-the-right-amount-of-furred chest.

And if it’s Beverly who doesn’t survive her only selfless act as Deacon’s sister? Eh, you had a bitter mean-spirited spiteful good run, lady. (I kid! Kinda!)

Also of great importance: Will. Is. Fiiiiiiiiinally. Out. And in love! And though the storm clouds of public opinion most certainly will loom on his horizon, let’s bask in the beauty of this rainbow while it lasts, OK?

I’ll be back at 11 pm PT to break down the episode in a post mortem with the ABC series’ showrunner Dee Johnson. Until then, read on for what happens in the Season 3 finale, “Before You Go Make Sure You Know.”

RELATED May Sweeps Scorecard 2015: Weddings, Deaths, Breakups, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

A GIFT FROM A BEV | Deacon is having recurring dreams of being buried alive, dying on the operating table, etc., which unnerves him in the final days before his liver swap. Also scary? The news that his tumor has grown so large, he’s been taken off the transplant list; Beverly is literally “a lifesaver,” Hot Doctor Caleb reminds us.

Even if he didn’t, Bev isn’t likely to let anyone forget. A sweet scene that begins with her and the girls (with Deacon on back-up guitar) singing a Fleetwood Mac-y song about limitless possibilities sours when she mentions that she’s thinking of permanently relocating to Music City. Rayna makes this face:

Nashville Finale

And then this face:

Nashville Finale

And then this face:

Nashville Finale

Which pretty much sums up my thoughts, as well. And when she checks in on Deacon’s sister before bed and thanks her for her “enormous sacrifice,” Bev is just a regular ray of sunshine.

“I’m not doin’ it for you,” she says, explaining that Rayna’s $1 million offer put her in a terrible position: Be the jerk that needed cash to step up and do the right thing, or be the jerk who wanted a bigger payday for the requested selfless act. I’m just about to admit that Beverly has a point, but then she self-congratulates for being a “hero,” annnnnnd I’m out. Rayna graciously and simply says, “You are saving the life of the man I love, and for that, I’ll pin a medal on you myself” — all the while looking like she’d like to pin that medal right between Bev’s eyes.

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

MANIC IMPRESSIVE | We’ll get back to Deacon’s big day in a moment. But first, let’s check in with Juliette, who has finished her album but still claims she’s too busy to hold little Cadence. “I don’t have time for that today. I don’t,” she says, infuriating Avery as she rushes off to present the new tunes to Rayna.

At Highway 65, Ju plunks the case holding her album on the table and starts manically rattling about a new tour and cover art and getting a jump on things. Meanwhile, Rayna’s eyebrows grow ever closer in concern. I’ll shorthand it; Juliette: “Go go gogogogogogogoooooo!” Rayna: “Slow your roll.” The encounter ends with Juliette saying “Screw you!” to everyone in attendance, then huffing off to Jeff Fordham’s house.

Brandishing the masters with a hand shakier than my excuse for breaking curfew on prom night (we really were just hanging out at the beach, Mom, I swear!), Juliette makes a case for the Smirky Turtle being her manager. “You took a reality show reject and platformed her into a celebrity. Now can you imagine what you would do with somebody who’s already a star?” she says. “Help me get my life back.” And because Jeff cares nothing about the new mom’s well-being or, really, anything related to basic human decency, he eagerly accepts.

Nashville FinaleHaving met with a doctor about Juliette’s post-partum issues, Avery tries to give nothing but positive reinforcement when he finds his wife asleep on the couch. Still, he’d like her to show even a passing interest in their infant daughter. So she starts demanding, “Give her to me,” eventually escalating to screaming, “Give me the damn baby!” and hurling a snow globe over Avery and the baby’s heads and breaking the glass in a framed poster. She’s instantly freaked out by what she’s done, but Avery has reached his limit. “Get out!” he demands, and after she takes off, he cries while trying to reassure Cadence it’ll be OK. Man, Avery weeping throughout this episode is a gut punch, isn’t it?

By the end of the episode, Juliette has fired Glenn, hired Jeff as her new manager and joined Luke’s Wheelin’ Dealin’ Records as its newest artist… despite her existing contract with Highway 65. Though crossing labels is a terrible move and I fear Rayna’s retribution, I must admit: Juliette owning the stage as she opens for Luke — and that fabulous, bluesy rocker she croons — is pretty rad. And as much as I loathe the whole “she’s back in her jeans five minutes after giving birth!” thing championed in American media, it can’t be denied: Hayden Panettiere looks amazing. Get it, mama. (Related side note to Juliette: Get help, mama.) When Ju returns home, Avery tells her she can’t be around Cadence — “She’s not safe with you” — and instructs her to get help. Then he cries more, and I die more.

RELATED ABC Renews NashvilleCastle, Galavant and 19 Other Shows

CLOSET? VACATED! | Will’s dad is still around, still anti-gay and still wanting to meet the woman in his son’s life. Meanwhile, Will is still attempting to butch it up just long enough to cement his straightness in his father’s mind. This gets tough when Luke confronts Will about the tabloid photos. Will denies that anything romantic is going on between him and Kevin — which, by the way, Luke knows is total horse hooey — and promises that both of them will say so at a press conference.

Kevin is not hot on this plan, but he agrees to say publicly he’s not dating Will. However, he also makes it clear that he’s not interested on closeted nookie, no matter how much he may enjoy fingering Will’s frets. That loss weighs heavily on young Mr. Lexington. So heavily, in fact, that after Kevin denies all at the press conference — and then leaves — Will announces, “The truth is, I’m gay. And I’m not ashamed of it.” Papa Lexington and his 10-gallon hat are disgusted, and there are likely to be repercussions related to Will’s career, but Will ends the episode holding Kevin’s hand after declaring his love, so all is well. Yes, this storyline might’ve taken longer than some of us would’ve liked to play out, but I think Chris Carmack has been great in it, and I’m looking forward to seeing Will as an out country artist. Who’s with me?

RELATED Nashville‘s Charles Esten on the Line in Deacon’s Cancer Arc That Nearly Did Him in (Hint: Rayna Said It)

LAYLA LEARNS ALL | Bucky is worried that Layla has signed her life away to Jeff — her contract even gives him power of attorney! — and even more concerned that all of his calls are going straight to voicemail. That’s because the Turtle has directed his young artist/hookup to stay off the phone and Internet until her album is done. He’s also implied that she should lose weight and directed her to say only the things he tells her to in interviews… is it just me, or does this episode really amp up their relationship’s creep factor?

But when she sneak-listens to a worried voicemail from Rayna, then goes online and sees a photo of Jeff tweeting from her phone the night of Jade’s party, all bets are off. Layla grabs a golf club and goes full Elin Nordegren on Jeff’s car, but backs off when he says he did all of those terrible things because he was afraid of losing her. A passing police officer asks if she needs help, and she says no (yeesh), then hugs Jeff (oy). Nashville powers that be, I beg you: If you’re not going to give Layla a sustainable win, can you at least not subject her to an abusive-relationship storyline?

PHOTOS May Sweeps Massacre: 25+ Deaths From RevengeS.H.I.E.L.D. and More — Which Loss Hit You Hardest?

Nashville FinaleI NOW PRONOUNCE YOU… | Back to Deke. He freaks in his hospital room and asks Rayna to marry him, but she sees it for the desperate move that it is. When he confesses that he’s been having troubling dreams, her reply is so perfect that I’m just going to include it here verbatim. (Picture Deacon teetering on the edge of tears the whole time, and you’ve got the complete picture.)

“You know what? I’ve got dreams, too, about you and me getting old together. And we’ve got these girls, and I dream about us raisin’ them up. I dream about the beautiful wedding we’ll have, full of love. So no, babe, I’m not gonna marry you in some cold hospital room. But I will tell you this: I, Rayna Jaymes, take you, Deacon Claybourne, to be my husband. Your turn.”

Of course he replies in kind, feeling a bit steadier, and then she gently jokes, “Now don’t you dare go and leave me a widow.” He’s wheeled into surgery soon after.

RELATED Get Your First Look at ABC’s Fall Schedule Here!

HOT DOC, CHILLING NEWS | Gunnar shows up at the hospital to play the tune he wrote to accompany some lyrics Scarlett texted him late the night before — their version of a booty call, I suppose. And even though she’s told Caleb she wants to move in with him, after The Exes perform the song on the hospital’s roof, they get dangerously close to a kiss.

Elsewhere, Teddy refuses to help the Feds any longer after he realizes that doing so will implicate Tandy — and, by extension, Highway 65 (which she financed) — so he’s hauled off to jail right there and then. And even though the local news covers his disgrace, none of the women in his life notice (heh) because Hot Doc Caleb enters the hospital’s waiting room just as that story airs. (Side note: I absolutely loved that final, tiny injustice levered at Teddy. Made me laugh out loud.)

But let’s get serious here, because Hot Doc Caleb looks rather worried. What Rayna doesn’t know: There’s been a flatline in the surgical suite, though it’s unclear whether it’s Beverly’s or Deacon’s ticker that’s stopped ticking. (Grim-but-pragmatic side note: If it is Beverly who’s going to be singing backup with the angels from now on, at least the docs successfully harvested a slice of her liver first.) All we know is that Caleb says, “I have some bad news…” — and that’s it! See you in the fall, Nashies!

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Grade the finale via the poll below, sound off in the comments and make sure to come back at 11 pm PT for the post mortem!

1. Laura says:

So obvious it is Bev who died.

• MJ says:

Of course it’s Bev — is it me or did Deacon’s OR play classical music, while Bev’s room played the song from his death dreams?

In any case, here’s hoping that McDreamy remains a cautionary tale for TV writers everywhere… Especially when it comes to star-crossed lovers.

2. iHeart says:

Whose Flatline Is It Anyway? that’s not very funny. Sure Chip did used to be on Whose Line which is a very funny show but that, that recap title that was just too soon. I really want to see Chip on Whose Line again but there isn’t really a guarantee there

• aerin says:

You do realize this is a fictional show and no one actually died, right? :;

• Bradster says:

Sweetie, you know they’re not real people. Right?

• And the fact that Chip loves this headline (as do I)

• iHeart says:

first of all I know they’re fictional, second of all, it’s just that I assumed the worst as much as I love whose line I just didn’t find it very funny.

I’m mean sure it’s nice that he thought it was funny, and I’m not offended by it (I guess that’s why happens when I was up that late) well fingers crossed

3. Ashton says:

I rated it a B only because I have so many questions that I don’t wanna wait three months for!!!! Gah
    Please let it be Bev! Please Juliette go love on that gorgeous husband and baby of yours and work out your career together! You can have it all but you have to work to make it work! Love this show glad to be watching another season next year!

4. Elsa says:

Well THANK GOD it wasn’t a series finale. I guess Nashville’s powers that be were feeling pretty confident that they would get a 4th season since there were so many cliffhangers!!
    All in all, it was a great episode. But please save Deke!! And I know it’s wrong but I can’t help it, I’m team Gunnar and Scarlett.

5. Kristen says:

Ok, first off that title is great!!! Second, I bet it was Beverly who flatlined. I bet she dies and then Deacon feels that it’s all his fault and he’ll be upset with Rayna next season for pushing Beverly to save him!

6. Dude says:

Ugh, that was painfully bad.

7. Dee says:

“Singing backup with the angels?”
    I die. You’re awesome!!

8. Elsa says:

I almost forgot: thank you Kimberly for, once again, a stellar recap. You make me enjoy this show even more if possible!

9. JB says:

Avery was killing me throughout the episode especially towards the end. I love him so much for trying to help her & that he put his baby first and left. Such a brave move, since she obviously is in MAJOR denial.

Also, I think either Bev died, or one of them flatlined and is in a coma of sorts therefore making the transplant impossible or complicated.

Will: Go Will!! Chris Carmack is amazing this season!!

Layla: Oh please, PLEASE do not turn her into an abuse victim. I’ve started to like her this season and hate all the bs Jeff is pulling on her. It’s sick.

And if Bev falls through, maybe Teddy gets killed in prison and is a match??

10. Paloma says:

Caleb: “I have some bad news. Bev flatlined, but we managed to revive her, so she’ll be around in the fall to keep plying her horrible ways.”

11. Debra says:

I repeat I will no longer be a Nasher if they kill off Deacon!

12. Shira says:

Deacon, play dead the entire summer as much as you’d like but I Heard Rayna. Come season 4 and I expect you fully dressed (not mandatory), and FULLY ALIVE (mandatory! ) at yours and Rayna’s wedding. Preferably at the Bluebird/Ryman. ARE WE CLEAR???

Other than that: Will!!! Praise the lord!!!! That was sweet!
    Layla and Jeff: In the close contest of Nashville’s dysfunctional couples you actually won! Do whatever you want with it.
    Scarlett and Gunnar: THAT SONG!! In your case, keep singing and I’ll wait for you to get back together. No rush!
    Avery- Not funny. Juliette-Defiantly not funny. Gonna need time to recover from that but will say one thing: It was crafted perfectly! Getting married and being pregnant was “out of character” for Juliette and it caught up with her in a BAD way. Can’t wait to find out where that leads them.
    Teddy – oh man…
    Rayna- small suggestion: honeymoon at St.Lucia. You have some much more free time now without Juliette at your label.
    Ok, that was one hell of an emotional season. Gonna rest now :)

13. L says:

Best title ever, best screencaps ever

14. Jill says:

I loved the Deacon Rayna vow scene and Will coming out, but everything else was terrible. Deacon possibly flatlining was more cliche than the car accident in season 1. No one thinks they’re going to get rid of Chip Esten. You would quickly hear the sound of 3 million women changing the channel. And you’re totally right Kim, I didn’t think it was possible, but Jeff and Layla got creepier in this episode. I hate them so much. Please get rid of these terrible characters and give more screen time to ones who can actually act. And Teddy, oh Teddy. It’s almost as if he’s on a completely different show than everyone else. All I can hope to get out of this storyline is that he gets sent to jail for the rest of the series and we never see him again. I’m not even going to talk about the ridiculous PPD storyline which doesn’t even look remotely like real PPD. Thanks Nashville for making me go back to hating Juliette early season 1 style.

15. mary says:

i hope neither one dies

16. Juan says:

Loved the finale. My gosh Juliette is really making mistake after mistake and its really sad to watch. I didn’t even realize of the betrayal to Avery she’d committed when she went to him and Avery crying is just freaking heartbreaking. Loved the song at the end with Gunnar and Scarlett, they harmonize like nobodies business. Don’t believe that Deacon is dying but that scene with him and Rayna was beautiful. Also loved the scene with Will and Kevin at the end when he says I love you. Finally, Jeff is a pig and I’m kinda mad that Layla would just forgive him after that, like she should have hit him with the gold club.

17. Tedi says:

I love Juliette so much but I am beginning to see a disturbing pattern here. Firstly Juliette always ends the season in a dark, broken and lonely place and Secondly, it seems we are in for another first half of the season where Juliette tries to get Avery to trust her and give her another chance, and God Bless him I hope he does but not until she seriously legitimately gets real help. I feel like there is a way to write Juliette as a straight shooting, uber talented, feisty hell raiser without absolute getting in her own way smh Not please at all with where they left Avery & Juliette. Its hurtful and annoying.

Other comments: Will: Ugh Finally, Beverly can die. Scarlett and Gunnar need to stop the song and dance I can barely remember why they broke up in the first place. Oh Teddy. Shut up Jeff.

18. azu says:

I’m not happy with this Juliette post partum storyline. It is lazy and predictable. They’d better make sure she gets help soon. Poor Avery. are deacon and Bev dead? Who cares? Boring. Will and Kevin, yay!!!

19. Jennifer says:

I don’t want to wait the whole summer to see what happens!! They better not kill Deacon! We need to see Rayna and Deacon get married please!!! They need a little happiness in their lives, I mean give us some satisfaction! I bet it is Bev that dies but I still don’t like not knowing for sure.

I’m all for Gunnar and Scarlett getting back together eventually. And Jeff and Layla are really messed up.

It doesn’t surprise me that Juliet is acting crazy, seems right in character for her, poor Avery for getting caught up in it.

20. Jenna says:

I just want to grade your recap(and headline): A+++++

21. I can’t imagine waiting all summer to see how my tv “friends” are doing? Just kidding…good season…love to hear the girls sing…fun show.

22. Normandy says:

This cliffhanger is about as bad as the one where Will was staring down a speeding train. If someone is dead or crippled because of the operation, we all know it’s going to be Beverly.

Also, what exactly are they doing with Jeff tied in with Layla, Luke and now Juliette if he’s going to be on another show now? Have one episode to write him off entirely like they did with Deacon’s sponsor?

23. Tarajifan says:

Surprised Luke doesn’t realize he can’t legally release Juliettes album. It’s property of HWY 65. Bye Teddy we won’t miss you. Jeff/Layla yuck. Anybody else think Juliette will have a bigger public meltdown than Scarlett.

• I’m so happy someone else realizes the music industry doesn’t work this way. Please the show has gotten so far away from reality it needs to go back. You cant walk away from your Label. Or have life time contract (not since before 80’s). Why I love Nashville it showed how hard it was for women to make it for real in a very hard Industry. Now with all this foolish stuff,makes me wonder how they went so far off track. Like nobody would be handling biz while “head” was out for personal reasons lol. So many lawsuits would have shut down both of these Labels we wouldn’t be hearing any of the great music I have enjoyed this Season. BTW Juliette has huge meltdown coming if they did research on baby blues w her past (has so much not dealt with mom’s suicide etc.)…
      Many Blessings!

• Normandy says:

Nashville started out as one thing — dirty politics and business, and the music industry, and the one family that has feet in both worlds. Then they promptly dropped the dirty politics and business the following season and amped up all the soap opera stuff. And you’ve probably seen how poorly researched and poorly executed things are on soap operas.

24. DSoR says:

Please don’t make it so predictable, don’t let it be that Bev died, of course not that Deacon should die either but Bev dying would devastate both Ray/Deac with all the guilt and raise your hands if you’re not interested in seeing them all depressed next season.

And the vows, wow … Chip and Connie bring it every single episode. Juliet’s song and Scar/Gunnar’s song were perfect for this episode.

So glad Will’s out of the closest and Chris was very impressive in this episode too as was Javery.

Everything else, well … Daphne wanted to go live with Teddy, what ever happened to that?
    and Teddy, I’ve always said this – he’s a good father who made some poor choices, but looks like salvation is not his to be had!

Can’t wait for September.

• DSoR says:

Oh, and I wish we could add line breaks while commenting :) Great recap as always Kim.

• Alan Katz says:

I wouldn’t agree that Teddy is just a good dad who made some bad choices. He’s been a slimy SOB since the series started. Remember the embezzlement that got covered up early on? This latest thing is just more of the same. He belongs in jail for what he did. He is, in fact, a slimebag who puts more energy into covering up his crimes than doing what’s right.

25. Michelle says:

They really should’ve cut to the next scene sooner in the Scarlett/Gunnar will they or won’t they kiss. Left them sitting there frozen in one spot for too long for the scene to be spliced.

26. I hope it is Bev, if it is Deacon I would not watch Nashville. Also if next Season Juliette and Scary gets away with what is done to Rainna James label Im out. That is NOT the way music industry works. My ex- husband spent his entire life time in it so I know,make it believable..it is on the edge. You can’t walk away from your Label or have liffe-time contracts please that is so 1980’s !!!!

27. Cass says:

Kimberly, your recaps are hilarious and so on point to how I feel each episode, I just wanted to thank you for doing them. Look forward to reading more in the fall, when Rayna AND Deacon return to our screens.

28. Sharon says:

Please don’t kill Decon off.

29. KS says:

How is Rayna’s label STILL in business? First Scarlett, Sadie, and now Juliette. She clearly hasn’t made a dime of profit.

• Jill says:

Yep, the business side of this show is a joke. There’s no way she should still be in business at this point. Also as someone else pointed out. Juliette does not own her album, Highway 65 does, so there’s no legal way Luke could release it. Juliette just saying she’s gone from H65 doesn’t make it so.

• Benjamin says:

Remeber how H65 suppose to be a different kind of label?… maybe the freedom that they offer is related to that kinda things. And after what Rayna suffer with Jeff owning her album.. it wouldn’t be surprising that she doesn’t wanna do the same with her people.

But still yet.. no doubts that she sux in business, it’s a progression of consecutive bad choices.

• Cass says:

Maybe her business model hangs on just suing Juliette for breach of contract. Hwy 65 didn’t pay for her record to be made, they didn’t pay for those free concerts, and now they can just reap the benefits when Luke’s label puts out the album.

30. brandi says:

This season just gets better each time, so much went on with in that hospital from gunner and Scarlett singing that beautiful song and finally coming around i can’t believe they didnt kiss i wish they would just give into their feelings and she would dump doctor although good looking no personality. Then all that stuff with Teddy flashing across the screen just a Doctor good looking was coming out just in the knick of time for the girls not to see it i cant believe Teddy’s dad would do that do them girls. That moment between rayna and deacon right before they took him back was absolutely perfect Then all the other stuff too so good. #CantWait!!! #TeamDeacon #TooLong

31. emily says:

Love the show! I will seriously boycott though if they don’t let Deacon and Rayna be together. The song Scarlett and Gunner sung was beautiful. Anyone know if we can download it? I looked for it but I don’t know the name of it so I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Please help, I neeeeed that song!!!

32. rian says:

… if this was the end of season 3, I sure am even more relieved Nashville got renewed. If that had been the end of juliette and avary, I would have been kind of dissappointed.

I am slightly thrown how Layla got from realizing that Jeff was too much of a sick creep to really love her in a non-selfish way from being in an abusive controlling relationship with this creepy idiot lying to her and duping her in all her career choices and legal affairs – how did this happen in only 3 or 4 episodes. And what manager contract contains power of attorney?

Thanks for the awesome recap!! Loving the stills of Rayna reacting to Scarlett’s mommy dearest. Please keep recapping this show for as long as it’s on. I am really enjoying it twice.

33. terra says:

Please don’t let it be Deacon!!!..I think I want watch if they take him off bc him Rayna finally have their chance..and if it was Bev she can be in coma you always keep drama on with Juliette,and Layla and Jeff!! Omg..That Luke such a HOT man…and Will stepping out proud he finally came out!! Scarlett and Gunner are just meant to be..Poor Avery, he such a great father and deserves a good woman..But him Juliette work but right now she is so crazy…Teddy going to jail dang it’s getting really juicy finding out what all Tandy did for her Dad..so you got all kind drama their..

34. C says:

Maybe this makes me a terrible human being but I hope it’s Bev who croaked. That lady is one unstable powder keg of passive aggressive and I just want her gone. Besides, they wouldn’t be so cruel as to give us Deacon and Rayna only to have death tear them permanently apart, right? RIGHT?!?!?! *starts panicking* Lastly, Juliette, Juliette…GET YOUR HEAD SHRUNK. You made Avery cry like the entire episode. So not cool, woman. He’s like the best dad and husband ever and you just tossed him aside like yesterday’s garbage. I really hope Juliette’s absolutely terrible decision and denial about her post-partum depression gets sorted out come the new season in fall. Man, when all that comes crashing down on her, she’s gonna get pancaked.

• C says:

Also, Layla needs to get out from under Jeff’s thumb ASAP. That is NOT a healthy relationship in any way shape or form. Jeff is completely manipulating her emotionally and psychologically. Speaking of relationships – YAY! Will!!! I bet that sun feels soooo good on your face after spending a whole three seasons so deep in the closet, he surpassed the beautiful land of Narnia. I really hope to see his relationship with Kevin progress and develop further and organically next season. Until then, YAY for finally mustering up the nerve and courage to come out, Will! Good on ya!

• RUCookie says:

I said the same thing over on the over Nashville thread… Jules made a huge mess personally, romantically, professionally. She crapped on everyone that has supported her. Avery, Glenn, Rayna, her assistant… now Luke is caught up in the mess. Jeff can fall off a bridge for all I care.

And NO, you are not a bad person for wanting Bev gone. She is vile. And I thought the same thing!

35. Sweetpea says:

I hope Beverly died. She is totally unlikeable! I really hope they get Juliette’s head out of her behind fast next season! If they are going to try to pass it off as post partum depression, Hayden might want to tone down the brattiness. It’s just like the old Juliette and I didn’t like her! I never would have thought after the first season that Avery would be such a great guy…love him now! So freaking glad they finally let Will out of the closet! Scarlett and Gunnar just need to go there and get back together. The doctor is cute but I’m not buying them as a couple. Hope they put Teddy under the jail so we don’t have to see him anymore. Love Eric Close but his character just does not fit on Nashville.

36. Alicia says:

Nashville is such a fantastic show but they need to step away from pushing the minor characters and concentrate on the characters we care about #Deyna and #Javery r the show. There wasn’t enough #Deyna scenes for me at all. Ray barely even said goodbye to Deacon before he was wheeled away something with the balance of scene priority needs to be looked at. I hope S4 gets the issues sorted S1 was amazing S2&S3 without the prospect of Rayna&Deacon lost me with all the Ruke Puke crap now we get them back to where they should be just to be deprived of Deyna scenes that could have so much more amazing dialogue I can’t bare it please writers I’m begging u all please plan the writing and scenes better. Some of the camera shots have been awful too not to mention rewriting history. Writers know ur characters back story come on. Love ur articles as always Kim xx

• J says:

I agree! R/D/A/J’s scenes are so short and there aren’t enough of them, but there’s so much other stuff crammed into each episode that it makes my head spin. Sometimes scenes and stories need to breathe, what’s the point of cramming loads of nonsense in just for the sake of it? Nothing has any emotional resonance as even the most poignant moments are approximately 10 seconds long.

• DSoR says:

Agree with the head spinning part and I don’t think any other show does such short scenes, cutting to something else entirely in seconds – that’ll sure turn away the viewers.

37. J says:

Would really, really like to see Rayna actually running her label properly next season. She hasn’t handled Juliette particularly well (or any of her artists), and she needs to get tough and pay attention: first Ruke then Deacon took all of her focus this year (ok Deacon is more understandable but still), HOW is she still going? She’s a pushover. And how does Luke not realise that Juliette hasn’t been let out of her contract with HWY65 so he can’t just sign her and release her record?

• Alan Katz says:

I agree. No matter how crazy Juliette may be, Highway 65 hasn’t done a damned thing for her career in ages. In fact, Highway 65 hasn’t done anything for anyone’s career except Rayna’s. What I hope happens is that Luke ends up dumping Will because of the gay thing, and Rayna signs him, immediately, to Highway 65.

• J says:

But Juliette hasn’t done anything for them either! She announced her signing when Rayna specifically asked her not to. She tried to bail at the end of season 2. She got pregnant and couldn’t work. She hasn’t acknowledged that Rayna took a chance on her when nobody wanted to sign her, was there when Avery broke up with her, was there when she first got pregnant, when she thought she was having a miscarriage, and when she actually gave birth!! And Rayna gets called a b*tch for her troubles, with no acknowledgement that the love of her life has terminal cancer. I’m more coming at it from the angle of Rayna needing to stand up for herself and actually RUN her label and get tough, more than ‘oh poor Juliette’. As far as her label knew Juliette had a newborn baby – they would have been heartless to demand an album from her.

38. wrstlgirl says:

Everyone did a fabulous job in this finale but Will coming out had to be my favorite part by far. About time and I love him and Kevin. Here’s hoping they can have a good story line next season and they stop making them background noise.

• Alan Katz says:

Wouldn’t it be cool that one of the ONLY successful relationships in the show turns out to be the gay guys? Them, and Rayna-Deacon when he gets out of the hospital and they get married. Now all they have to do is sign Will to Highway 65, and we’ll have the sane people all in one location, fighting against all the nasties, criminals and crazies in their own fortresses.

39. Anya says:

That wedding vow scene between Deacon & Rayna gave me life. The cutest thing ever. Connie looked especially gorgeous in that scene. Argh i can’t wait for the fall!!!

40. Dave says:

OK, so if it was Beverly that flat lined will someone please tell me why the doctor would go to a non relative Rayna to tell her first and not her own daughter Scarlette? If it was Beverly, seems like a major mistake by the writers.

41. Emily says:

They were always going to leave us on that cliffhanger, weren’t they, really? And it’s gotta be Bev, surely!

42. Cheryl says:

It is oblivious that Deb will end up dying, if they did that to Deacan, the viewers will riot. However, I can see them making Deb disabled, and needing significant help to which Deacon and Rayna will feel obligated to do so but it will put a strain on their relationship because the disabled who has treated you like crap for so long requires you help. The whole thing with Juliette needs to get wrapped up by the first 3 episodes of next season with Jeff being kicked to the curb for both her and Layla.

43. smartysenior says:

Why do these show think they have to have a cliffhanger finale? It’s annoying plus we were all going to tuck back in to this show the minute it returns anyway. I don’t like this who-shot-JR stuff one bit.

44. dianehelen says:

So how and when will Avery learn that baby he is doting on is not his?

45. janet says:

Will it be back on tv I love this show love everyone on it too please dont let it stop here

46. Rita says:

Im honestly at the point of almost checking on this show. I loved the first season so so much when it was about Rayna and Juliette and the other characters revolved around them. There are way too many characters now who all have their own storyline. I hope with all my heart that season 4 cuts back on half their characters so we can actually have longer more in depth scenes instead of all these rushed short ones.

• J says:

I agree! The supporting cast should be just that: supporting. They don’t all need their own stories and angst and blah de blah. It’s tiresome. I don’t give the tiniest hoot about Layla/Jeff/Kiley/Micah/the hooker/Teddy/Luke and whoever else, unless their stories actually intersect with the lead characters! It’s irritating and ruins the flow of the show. It’s funny because Bucky/Glenn/Emily/Bo etc. are all used appropriately and in context. I don’t need to see Glenn and Bucky going for a beer and talking about their problems and I don’t need to see Kiley and Gunnar talking to moppet Micah. Gah!
      It’s not an ensemble show.

47. Sofia Walz-Chojnacki says:

I think & my guess is that Beverly dies & deacon lives on & marries rayan

48. lou babka says:

I know its Bev….

49. Dale says:

If only it was Deacon who died :-) there is no chemistry between Deacon and Rayna. Rayna works better with Luke Or Ted. I like Bev, she is not the villain here Rayna is. Rayna is the stuck up know it all rich girl who ruins everyone’s lives because of course it’s all about her.

That is way too much about Deacon and Rayna. I wach Nashville because the other characters are cool and exciting.

However I don’t like the idea of Scarlett and Gunner getting back together. Scarlett has her doctor and Gunner has the perfect family if he only makes the effort. It’s for the best really.
    Everyone else is being entertaining. I just wish Luke and Jade had gone further that was fun.

50. GrannyRose says:

Are we sure Avery is the baby’s daddy?