Fall TV Preview

ABC Fall Schedule: Muppets vs. NCIS, Shonda's Catch Held for Midseason, Agent Carter Plots Big Move

ABC Fall Schedule

What’s old is new again at ABC.

The Alphabet network unveiled its schedule for the 2015-16 TV season on Tuesday, and… it looks a lot like its schedule for the 2014-15 TV season. ABC is keeping four of its nights — Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and (of course) Saturday — completely in tact. The biggest overhaul comes on Sunday, where new dramas Oil (FKA Boom) and Of Kings and Prophets will fill the post-Once Upon a Time void left by Revenge and Resurrection.

Also of note: Fresh Off the Boat is moving back a half-hour on Tuesday to 8:30/7:30 to make room for the new Muppets series, new drama Quantico will follow Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at 10/9c, and Shonda Rhimes’ The Catch is being held for midseason.

Also on tap for midseason are returning series American Crime (resetting with a new storyline but some returning actors in different roles), The Bachelor, Beyond the Tank, Galavant, Marvel’s Agent Carter and Secrets and Lies, as well as new shows The Family, The Real O’Neals, Uncle Buck and Wicked City. (Click here for info on where and when these midseason series will air).

Speaking of Agent Carter, the logline for Season 2 reveals this: “Peggy must now journey from New York City to Los Angeles for her most dangerous assignment yet,” where she “discovers new friends, a new home… and perhaps even a new love.”

All told, the ABC schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm Dancing With the Stars
10 pm Castle

TUESDAY
8 pm THE MUPPETS
8:30 pm Fresh Off the Boat
9 pm Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
10 pm QUANTICO

Saturday Night Football

SUNDAY
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos
8 pm Once Upon a Time
9 pm OIL
10 pm OF KINGS AND PROPHETS

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Cristela, Forever, Manhattan Love Story, Resurrection, Revenge, Selfie and The Taste

1. Sam says:

I would have thought Castle would move to Tuesday to launch a new drama and The Middle would move to Tuesday as the 8pm lead-off. Surprised, but happy all my shows are staying put!

• Grey says:

This is just speculation on my part based on what *supposedly* happened last year but, I think partially based on what happened with “The Blacklist” being moved and suffering because of it, ABC decided “if ain’t broke (or at least not totally broken) don’t try to fix it.” The rumor last year was that ABC was going to move “Castle” *until* NBC decided to move “The Blacklist” at the last minute. “The Blacklist” was doing really well against “Castle” but once NBC decided to move it ABC figured “Castle” could stay put because it was still a solid performer in that slot and would probably stand up better than anything else they could stick in that slot. Keep in mind this was before “HTGAWM” etc. had launched. I think the same thought process is still in place this time. Also, it could have been a stipulation in Fillion’s contract negotiations. Part of his “demands” may have been that the show stay in its original and only time slot especially if it turns out to be its last season – which I think it will be regardless of what was said to media today.

• J.Norman says:

“ABC decided “if ain’t broke (or at least not totally broken) don’t try to fix it.””

That is a new concept that ABC finally got into its head – primarily with the Wed comedy slate – just last year.
        Before that, ABC had and, subsequently, destroyed many good comedies by constantly moving them around their schedule. Someone at ABC finally got smart and decided to wait more than 4 episodes to see if a show would work.

2. Boiler says:

Hope OUAT not hurt by what looks to be poor shows after. Sort of hoping Nashville would go to Sunday

• Dude says:

Shows are rarely affected by what airs after them.

• iHeart says:

yeah I was hoping for that too, but considering that the numbers haven’t been that great for Once post-frozen arc, oh well.

• Ally Oop says:

I was hoping Nashville could move to after Dancing with the Stars. I always believed that would be a much better fit. I’m excited about Oil but I preferred the title Boom.

• laurelnev says:

Totally agree that the 2 new Sunday night shows make poor companions for OUAT. I’ll probably start time-shifting it, based on the new Sunday night schedule. (Of course, in my dream schedule, OUAT and SHIELD are timeslot pairs. Let’s move SHIELD to Sunday at 9 and increase their numbers.)

3. Georgia Madman says:

Not one of them as good as Forever…

4. Ray says:

For the first time ever I will not be watching anything on ABC after OUAT.

5. K says:

Castle staying on Mondays. YES

6. Rolfe says:

Sunday night looks weak. I know they don’t want to mess with TGIT, but a Shondaland show there could be smart.

7. M. says:

With Castle staying on monday is it safe to assume we’ll get a full season?!

• Grey says:

I *think* (I could be wrong) it was already reported or mentioned somewhere that it was a full season order. Probably because it does so well in syndication. Now, will Fillion and or Katic be in all 22 episodes? Who knows? I could see them having negotiated a “60/40” situation in which there are a handful of episodes featuring them separately and the remainder featuring them together. The end result would be 22-23 episodes total but only about 13-15 of them being “traditional” Castle and Beckett episodes.

• Telo says:

It is a good assumption that Castle gets a 22-episode season, unless announced otherwise.

8. SayWhaaa says:

The Muppets? Seriously? Against NCIS? What are they smoking?

• Ally Oop says:

I think it’s a good idea. Both shows will skew totally different. For the record, I hate NCIS but will tune into Muppets and Fresh off the Boat, a great family hour with the kiddos.

• herman1959 says:

The Muppets looks even funnier than the original, and no one who wants a laugh will be tuning into NCIS…therefor no competition.

• TC says:

This 44 year old woman is soooo looking forward to the Muppets.. I read that when the show was being pitched to the ABC execs, they actually gave the preview a standing ovation.

• John NYC says:

Why? VERY different demographics and so a clever way to dodge the NCIS juggernaut.

9. Oh my tuesdays.. what im gonna do, obviously ill watch all 4 shows, and got n cw the flash and NCIS in CBS

10. Lauren says:

what about secrets and lies? I didn’t see that on there?

11. Mary says:

I guess The Catch will air after HTGAWM end his second season, that ways all Shonland series are on TGIT night

12. erika says:

About on Tuesday schedule:
    8 pm The Muppets
    8:30 pm Fresh of the Boat
    Oh uh that sounds not good for FOTB new schedule.
    About on Friday schedule
    8 pm Last Man Standing
    8:30 Dr. Ken
    Yup Dr.Ken another Cristela,The Neighbours,which both of these shows were canceled after LMS.

13. Simon says:

What about Secrets and Lies?

14. Eric7740 says:

None of ABC’s new shows sound appealing to me. Bummer!

15. Mr. Tran K says:

Not happy that Castle is staying put on Mondays now that Stana Katic is returning next season (thank goodness). On Thursdays, it’s Scandal vs. Blacklist Round 2, HTGAWM is going up against NBC’s new series The Player in the 10 p.m. Thursday night time slot and I really don’t know if the upcoming season of Grey’s is going to be its last since ABC haven’t even announced it after the shocking departure of Patrick Dempsey.

16. a says:

Ridiculous that Castle is still at the cushy 10pm slot…DWTS should be used to launch new shows, give them a chance, and not be a crutch to a 7 now 8yr old Castle in decline.

• John NYC says:

Maybe a vote of confidence they believe their new shows are strong enough they don’t the crutch and match up better where they are?

17. Matt C. says:

So weird/sad not seeing Revenge on Sunday nights anymore!

Had a feeling they’d hold The Catch until mid season after HTGAWM wraps. TGIT is my favorite night of television!

18. wrstlgirl says:

Wow I didn’t realize how little of ABC I watch. Only three shows and one of them I don’t really even like all that much, LOL!!!!

19. Ashbash says:

At least their Wednesday night looks strong. As for the other days of the week may the odds forever be in their favor

20. Badpenny says:

Sort of a strange mix for Tuesday. Kid’s show, then comedy, then AoS, then police drama.

21. Gerald says:

Sounds pretty great. Not a lot of big changes. Muppets should be some family friendly fun on Tuesday.
    What is up with Peggy Carter moving to LA? I liked her in New York. I wonder if Angie might go with her and get a big break in the movies? It’d be nice if some of her other colleagues might come along also. Jarvis, Jack and Daniel.

• herman1959 says:

I know, she seems like more of a New Yorker. In general, 1940s Brits didn’t move to LA unless the were connected to the movies. Maybe the move is being done because they’re not able to do actual location shooting because they’re not actually in NYC. That said, I don’t know how easy it’ll be too recreate 1940s LA, but I’m glad the show is back.

22. Rainy says:

That ‘new friends, new love, etc.’ tagline for Agent Carter makes me all worried for her old friends! I mean, she’s taking Jarvis and Angie with her, right? She HAS to!

• That is the only item of interest I took away from the network changes — Peggy MUST have Angie and Jarvis with her- and what about Dottie and the guys ( including the jerks) in her old office ? Though, with Angie wanting to be an actress she could easily transplant to LA. But Jarvis would only be there if Mr. Stark had moved his base West . Dear me, we must have Jarvis or this could be tragic.

• herman1959 says:

The actor who plays Howard Stark was signed as a regular on another show, but then we rarely saw him anyway. Jarvis could still move to LA as caretaker/valet because Howard Hughes, on whom Howard Stark is based, also had a presence in Hollywood as a film producer. Still, Peggy would really be a fish out of water; we’ll see.

23. Tricia says:

Wait, what does this new logline for Agent Carter mean for the cast we already know?

24. Eric says:

I don’t care about any of the new drama pilots but I really hope that The Muppets and Dr. Ken are as good as I’m hoping for. There isn’t a single comedy on ABC this year that I won’t be watching.

25. iHeart says:

So I guess Last Man Standing got renewed, and this upcoming fall, that and 2 broke girls will be syndicated

26. J.B. says:

I saw on Twitter that Secrets & Lies will air during a Nashville break a la Agent Carter, Gallivant, etc. Any truth?

27. mzglorybe says:

Hard to believe shows like muppets and dr. ken will air but not Forever, the best one of them all. It was a good clean show with originality and great acting.

28. OF KINGS AND PROPHETS even though it doesn’t say it though it sounds like the story of Saul and David and the prophet Samuel

29. Maxsmom says:

I watch DancingStars, Castle, Fresh Off the Boat, the 2 Marvel shows, the Wednesday comedies, the Thursday dramas, and Shark Tank. I should be grateful Cristela and Forever were cancelled, I watch too much TV.

30. kirads09 says:

Most of ABC’s line up leaves me cold. I will watch SHIELD and AGENT CARTER and that is about it.

• Broken hearted says:

Same here! I only watch ABC for sheild and Forever! WHY IS FOREVER GONE? PLEASE BRING IT BACK! My favorite show ever!

31. Joe says:

Wow, Sunday night has changed, I watched ABC on sun for years going back to Alias and The Practice up thru Revenge , but these shows dont look good to me , I may have to switch to CBS for the first time in years

32. Janice Howard says:

These programs don’t look very exciting to me. ABC was always my favorite channel but now
    I think CBS is. Much better videos……

33. Isaac says:

But where are the crazy moves? Where’s Nashville on Sundays? Where’s Castle after AoS? Where’s the Middle leading Tuesdays? Where are the crazy moves!!!

34. Ally Oop says:

ABC continues to have the best lineup. I am really excited for both Oil and Quantico and will probably watch Muppets, as well as watching returning shows Nashville, Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, Fresh off the Boat and The Goldbergs. I’m thinking of dropping HTGAWM though as it’s kind of a bubble show for me.

35. The Grinch says:

Who’s going to host AFV now? Give it to Wayne Brady. He’s got nothing to do.

36. et al. says:

TVLINE – do you ever get questions in on these conference calls? Will you please ask Moonves what the frig is up with Twin Peaks tomorrow?

37. fiberlicious says:

Is there any hope that ABC will reconsider axing Forever? There seems to be a huge public outcry – more than 800 comments here alone.

• Joe says:

Unfortunately it’s a long shot , look what happened to Body of Proof a few years ago

• John NYC says:

Once they’ve officially canceled the contract things, as I understand it, unravel pretty fast: sets get struck and sold off and cast and crew start making other commitments. It gets very tough to put that toothpaste back in the tube….

38. Forever should be in that lineup.

39. Karen Schamun says:

Wow this year I will only be watching three shows: The Goldbergs, Nashville and Castle. Honestly, I would of preferred Forever to any of them. Still not over the loss of Forever. Even the star felt it would be renewed. Why wouldn’t it?! It had the best cast, stories and endless potential. Once again ABC keeps the crap – Galavant, American Crimes and yes even Secrets and Lies which ended so poorly. Thank god for the CW even though I’m 46 (the higher end of the coveted demo) I wouldn’t have anything to watch without them.

40. dj says:

There have been no new shows announced that have much appeal (for me). Usually, I am psyched about a bunch, but not this year. I guess I’ll have to watch Amazon and Netflix shows

41. kmw says:

Another network playing it safe. I understand logic of not wanting to move shows around but some of this doesn’t help. They should have moved Castle to Tuesday and Quantico to Monday. I do agree with keeping Thursday intact but maybe the lack of moves will help

42. A says:

Finally a network as learned, don’t fix what’s not broken!

43. Patty says:

Happy that Castle and How To Get Away With Murder have been included in ABC-TV’s 2015-2016 schedule. Not happy, (along with many other viewers), that Forever won’t be returning.

44. Elle says:

If they rehaul Agent Carter too much (all new characters), I just might not be too keen in watching it. :(

45. Christine says:

Any news about Motive season 3 airing on ABC this summer?

46. Melora says:

The Muppet series is going to be a massive epic failure that will be pulled after 2 episodes.

47. Sabrina says:

The only new dramas I’ll be watching this year are The Catch and possibly Quantico. Still bummed that Kingmakers wasn’t picked up and Forever was cancelled.

48. Bozo says:

Bummer. No Derrick Storm series.

49. Even though I don’t watch I see Black-ish hurting in that time slot and I see Nashville hurting as well because of the show that the lead in.

50. cass says:

Wait, when I click “OIL”, this link for “Boom” comes up. Is that its new title? Also worried about this Sunday Schedule because I’m not sure how that’ll be good for OUAT, but guess I’d be checking OIL/Boom out because Chace Crawford lol