Outlander Recap: Song and Chance

Outlander Claire Sings Recap

If you’ve ever watched Outlander‘s curmudgeonly Murtagh grumble his way through a scene and thought, “That character would be so much better if only he danced around a bit,” this week’s episode is for you.

If you’ve ever studied Claire and thought, “You know what she needs? Some ill-fitting men’s clothing and a jaunty tune,” you’ll love “The Search.”

But if you’re wondering where in God’s green Scotland James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser has gotten off to, well, you’re going to have to wait a while, lads and lassies.

At first, I planned to rail against the changes in Claire and Murtagh’s journey, which unfolds quite differently than it does in the novels. But then I thought that would be very bookist of me, and because we welcome both oldlanders and newlanders in this recap, I’ll just shut my face and we can talk about it like civilized adults later, aye?

Read on as we review what takes place in “The Search.”

RELATED TVLine Items: Outlander Casting News!

OUTTA HER WAY | Fresh off the knowledge that Jamie’s been captured by the British, Claire springs into action, declaring, “I intend to get my husband back.” She’s a flurry of brown curls and determined fury as she forbids an injured and prosthetic leg-less Ian to accompany her. He draws her a map, instead, but Jenny knows that her sister-in-law doesn’t know the land near Lallybroch and couldn’t track her way out of a burlap sack. So the new mom packs some heat and prepares to join the search — and Claire grimly realizes that Jenny’s right. As they take off on horseback, I say a little prayer for Jenny’s delicate areas; lots of time in the saddle a few days after childbirth can’t be fun.

On a related note: Galloping away with a chestful of wee Maggie’s nourishment also isn’t comfortable, which is why Jenny stops after a while to express some milk. And because this is Outlander, of course we see it in all of its detail. Claire’s as entranced as I am — though she’s likely wondering less about CGI techniques — but shakes herself out of it to announce her plan: She’s going to find Randall’s superior, one of the guys who liked her at the Fort, and ask him nicely to let Jamie go. “Sounds more like a prayer than a plan,” Jenny scoffs, and even when she is spouting breastmilk like an overfilled wineskin, she’s so much cooler than I’ll ever be.

Jenny’s plan proves much more efficient: Once they isolate one of the Redcoats traveling with MacQuarrie, she pretends to swoon, then Claire creeps up and holds a gun to the soldier’s head. Once the soldier is tied up, Jenny heats a brand and holds it to his foot (!) to get him to talk; turns out, he’s a courier who has a dispatch mentioning Jamie’s escape from the captured raid party. Secure that her brother has hidden himself deep in the Highlands, Jenny rips up the missive and prepares to kill the Brit. Claire argues against it, and they’d probably still be going at it today but Murtagh sneaks up and swiftly offs the Redcoat by slitting his throat. As the trio make camp for the night, Claire seems almost ashamed to admit that she would’ve killed the soldier if Murtagh or Jenny hadn’t.

RELATED Ask Ausiello: Outlander Scoop and More

Outlander Claire Sings RecapDANCIN’ FOOL | In the morning, Jenny gifts Claire with a bag of rent money and a knife to be carried in her stocking, and Claire tells Jenny to “plant potatoes,” because famine and war are on their way. It’s a cuckoo thing to say, but having been briefed by Jamie that Claire has a sense of what’s to come, Jenny agrees — then the two women hug and Jenny leaves, knowing her sister-in-law will do whatever’s necessary to bring Big Red home. (Aww.)

As far as plans go, Murtagh’s is… laid-back. He thinks if he and Claire travel around enough, with her healing people and reading palms and him dancing (yes, you read that right) along the way, Jamie will hear about them, come out of hiding and find them instead of the other way around. But no one at any of the stops has seen a “very tall, strapping, redhead man,” and the only thing Murtagh’s dance gets him is booed off stage. (Side note: I feel the need to describe Murtagh’s rug-cutting. It is so awesomely atrocious. It lacks feeling and rhythm. He is supposed to be performing a majestic Highland sword dance, but all that comes to mind is Numfar and his dance of joy. )

Claire agrees with me, but when she suggests he “jazz” up his act a bit, she winds up on stage, dressed as a boy, singing a dirty ditty to the tune of “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.” (“A Sassenach lady dressed up as a lady, singin’ this bawdy song” will draw more attention that their old act, her traveling partner argues.) The more villages they visit, the more Mrs. Fraser gets into the act, and pretty soon the Claire & Murtagh Dark Side of the Pantaloon Tour is rolling right along.

VIDEO Flesh and Bone Trailer: Starz Ballet Drama Shows the Dark Side of Dance

MURTAGH, YOU MINX | All goes well until the pair realize another troupe has stolen their act — and is doing it better. This causes confusion, you see, because Jamie won’t know which troupe to follow. Claire gives the super shady gypsy ringleader of the rival group the rent money to promise his singer won’t do the tune again; Murtagh thinks that’s insanity (I do, too), and he and Claire have it out one night as they camp by the ocean. She argues that he has no idea what she’s going through. “You’ve never lost someone that you loved,” she cries. Better grab a blue composition book and sharpen a No. 2 pencil, Claire, because you’re about to get schooled.

Murtagh says he lost someone at a MacKenzie gathering years ago. When he killed a boar using just a dagger, his bravery was rewarded with the animal’s tusks — which he had made into bracelets and which he gave as a wedding gift to the lady he loved but could not have. Wait a tick… Claire pulls the bracelets Jenny gave her last episode out of her bag, the ones that belonged to her mom. “It was you?” she asks incredulously. Yep, Murtagh was once in love with Jamie’s mother, Ellen, and he cries as he says he loves Jamie, too. “He’s a son to me,” he sobs, and she hugs him and cries, too. Great, Claire. Now you broke Murtagh.

RELATED J.K. Simmons to Star in Starz Drama About Fringe-y Parallel Dimensions

THE DOUGAL YOU KNOW | Not long afterward, Murtagh and Claire run into the gypsy, who gloats that he completely reneged on his promise: His troupe has been performing the song all over the place… and he has a message for them about Jamie! So Claire and Murtagh run to the place the gypsy sends them, only to find Dougal standing there like a smug, bald bulldog. “Sorry to disappoint ye, lass,” he says, then quickly delivers news of Jamie: Young Fraser, drawn out by the song, was re-captured by the British and taken to Wentworth Prison. He’s already stood trial for his crimes, and he’s been condemned to hang within a day or two.

No wait, Claire, your fun hasn’t ended yet! Dougal takes her aside and tells her to let Jamie go, because “I can protect you, as your husband.” She’s appalled, he’s pragmatic: She’s basically a penniless, English soon-to-be widow with no protection from Jack Randall. But she eyes him shrewdly, suddenly realizing exactly what he wants: “Lallybroch. That’s what this is all about. You want to control the Fraser lands.” Dougal’s argument: Jamie would want it that way. Ick.

They eventually strike a deal: She can ask his men to help her break Jamie out of jail, though Dougal won’t make any of them do it. And if they find Jamie dead, “Then I’ll marry you.” Meanwhile, I’ve spent the past five minutes of screentime sweating. Will ye not get going already, Claire?!?

Though the men initially are hesitant to gallop into danger, Willie, Angus and Rupert eventually agree to join Claire and Murtagh on their mission. So the five of them end the episode on horseback, Wentworth Prison just coming into view. Gulp.

1. Mauigirl says:

Having not read the books, I thought the dance and song troupe idea…kinda ridiculous. It actually worked but to Jamie’s detriment. Crap! I did love the bonding between Jenny and Claire and Murtagh and Claire. When Murtagh finally broke down that was the only moment I felt emotional.

May I ask the book readers (SPOILER ALERT…DO NOT READ THE RESPONSES IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW), how did it play out in the book? How did Claire and Murtagh track Jamie?

• ninergrl6 says:

The way they originally started — her tending to the sick & telling fortunes to try to draw Jamie to them. Besides the song & dance & gypsy nonsense, I think it played out fairly similarly in the book, but I’d have to double check to be certain.

• The song and dance and gypsies were all in the book. It was mostly faithful in character to how it played out in the novel.

• ninergrl6 says:

You’re right. I just went back & looked in the book. I didn’t remember this AT ALL, but it does mention Claire & Murtagh singing & the gypsies. However, the whole singing stunt takes up about a page & the gypsies (who in the book have nothing to do with the singing & don’t blackmail or double cross Claire at all — in fact, a gypsy brings her to Dougal) cover another page. That’s hardly worth wasting 15+ minutes of screen time. By contrast, Claire’s subsequent conversation with Dougal covers 8 pages in the book (some of which, like Hamish’s parentage, was addressed in other episodes) but got about 8 minutes of screen time. This entire episode covered approximately 20 pages of the book, whereas the “Lallybroch” episode (poorly) attempted to cover about 70 pages.

• Alichat says:

True….except the gypsies were honest, welcoming, and helpful in the book. I was a little disappointed in how they were portrayed. I think the book portrayal would have been a nice break from the Claire & Murtagh show which I thought went on just a tad too long.

• KT says:

Agreed! I got frustrated by this episode. Actually, the last three have had me pretty frustrated. I’m OK with the show being different from the book, since I didn’t enjoy everything from the book. However, this one drug on way too long. Maybe it just felt long since there wasn’t any Jamie in it, but I would have liked them getting through the song and dance stuff much quicker.

• Janie Monroe says:

I so agree with what KT said. The last 3 episodes in my opinion have been a snoozefest. This one was particularly bad. Oh some parts were good but 45 minutes of it could have been dumped IMO and replaced with more pertinent scenes. Women are primarily who watch this show and they watch it for Jamie and Claire but then they made the dumb decision to not even have him in it. It is almost like they are now giving Claire a show and then Jamie a show but not putting them together. The ratings have been declining and if they keep thinking they can keep doing stories that don’t bring them together, then good luck with that.

• Alichat says:

I think it should be pointed out that in the book, Dougal never pointedly lays the blame of Jamie’s capture on Claire. In the book, Jamie was captured when he rounded a turn in a path and came face-to-face with some dragoons and that’s all that Dougal knows. He never says Jamie was “drawn by your song”. It’s just chalked up to bad luck. And I believe they searched for Jamie for about a week to a week and a half before meeting Dougal.

2. Laurie says:

Having never read the books having to base things on. Jenny is one bad lass and I totally wondered about her breasts (sounds weird as I type it). Because I figured she was breast feeding. But didn’t figure I’d get up close and personal with them. Claire was a regular girl scout with that fire trick. I enjoyed the singing and thanks for mentioning that Scottish song was sang to the tune of Boogie Woogie. I thought so. Got to say I kinda missed Dougal. The rotten scoundrel.

3. Jayme says:

The last 2 episodes/diversions from the book were completely awful. I love these books and it’s sad watching them destroyed onscreen.

• ninergrl6 says:

I’d say the last 3 episodes. Basically everything since Claire decided to stay in the 18th century. Ok not *everything* — some of it was good — but they messed up A LOT since Jamie & Claire arrived at Lallybroch. It makes me wish I didn’t read the book during the hiatus. I’d definitely be enjoying the show more.

• Danielle says:

Well aren’t you just a regular ray of sunshine lol. It’s quite annoying, yes. TV people always seem to think they know what’s best when it comes to book adaptations. Much to the fans chagrin.

4. ninergrl6 says:

I really enjoyed the first 20 minutes with Jenny & Claire tracking Jamie (that breast milk scene was fascinating — how’d they do that?!) and the last 20 minutes of Claire & Murtagh (loved the bracelet conversation) & eventually the other highlanders. But the middle with the singing & the gypsies — WHY??? It was such a waste of time, both in the storyline & on screen. For a show that has to cram SO MUCH material into so few episodes, it’s ridiculous to waste so much screentime on that nonsense, not to mention JAMIE. IS. MISSING. Stop lolly gagging & find the man! Everything in the search for Jamie could have played out the *exact* same way without Claire & Murtagh turning themselves into traveling minstrels. Unless that song or that gypsy guy are going to be relevant in the future, there was absolutely no reason to include them. The show runners cut so much Lallybroch cuteness but added THAT? I’d rather have seen some light family moments before Jamie went missing than suffer through the silly song & dance act during the search. It didn’t fit the pacing or the plot & makes me seriously question what the heck the writers are thinking.

• Mauigirl says:

Totally agree with you! I felt all that song and dance was a waste of program time, and it was frustrating to see Claire act naively by trusting that gypsy. If they had tracked the gypsy as Murtagh wanted to, wouldn’t they have found Jamie or received Dougal’s message sooner? Plus, I’m sickened by Dougal’s proposition. Doesn’t any of his kin besides Clair, Jenny, Ian and Murtagh care about him? I do love how Willie stepped in though!

• Janie Monroe says:

Gosh, I so agree with what you are saying and what others are. As I said this show is popular because of the relationship of Jamie and Claire and Jamie is who women want to see so to not even have him in it, was just dumb. And the episode was quite uninteresting to boot. If I had known Jamie was not even in it at all, I may have skipped it because honestly there was nothing in this episode that really mattered that much.

5. Acheter un robot patissier n’est pas une demarche a effectuer avec precipitation.

6. Danielle says:

‘Numfar and his dance of joy’ LMAO! It really was that bad wasn’t it? Oh Lordy lol

7. JAO says:

My husband who never read the books loves all the episodes and so do I who has read them. We enjoy the moment. It is refreshing and charming.

• Char says:

Same here. I’ve read the series more than I dozen times and I think they’re doing a superb job with this adaptation. The Poutlanders are tiresome.

8. Alichat says:

Numfar and the Dance of Joy! OMG! That’s so true! I enjoyed this episode except for a few issues. The song and dance bits went a bit too long. There was a point when I said to the TV “enough singing…..let’s move along.” And I have an issue with the way they write Claire at times. I feel like their go-to reactions for her when she’s worried/mad/upset/confused is to have her complaining, whining, and/or being mean to people who don’t really deserve it. At first I was bothered by them changing Claire’s response to Dougal’s proposal, mostly because I liked the way it played out in the book with Murtagh appearing suddenly, and Claire wouldn’t agree to marry him. But then I figured they were playing the scene as if she’s just going along with his proposal to placate him and get to the men, knowing full well that if Jamie dies, she’ll head for Craigh na Dun. I wasn’t a huge fan of them adapting Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy for her song, but that’s mostly because I wanted to hear a legitimate raunchy Scottish folk song. LOL! Otherwise, I loved the scenes with Claire and Jenny. And I too watched the lactation scene wondering “CGI or prosthetic? and if prosthetic, how’d they design that thing??”

9. Winelady53 says:

I love the show, but…felt the song and dance routine unbelievable. Jamie is in terrible danger and Claire is singing??? I wish the writers would not be so reverential about the novel and change things up when needed to move the action forward. And please, please put Jamie on screen whenever possible. A whole episode with nary a glimpse. Use flashbacks…anything. I would like to hear more dialogue at times. Claire on a galloping horse is lovely, but I want to know what these people are thinking.

• Karen says:

I’m sorry but this is not the writer’s being reverential to the novel. As an absolute lover of these books I’m appalled by what is being put on the screen. As another poster here said half of this episode took 1 page in the book so the writer’s are just being plain stupid if they think this is what people want to see. I have to assume with only two episodes left in the season that we are going to miss a lot of what happens in the prison. And for what – some ridiculous singing and dancing!

• “Reverential”? Dude, it’s a book. A good book, but certainly not the holiest of holies. I agree that the song and dance dragged on too long, and there are a few other things I wish they’d done differently. But I think this is overall a really fantastic adaptation. Not a literal translation of the book; but then, that would be unwatchable.

• Janie Monroe says:

So agree again. They could have made the important parts into 3 episodes. But instead they filled the gap with this silly episode that meant nothing. They could have taken 10 minutes showing what all they were doing to rescue him and then cut straight to the prison stuff but no we had to sit through some of this long drawn out silliness. It had a few nice scenes but to me the rest of it was just a waste of time. They seem to be obsessed with showing us how wonderful the actress is that plays Claire but I think we already knew that and don’t need to have it pushed at us. Sorry, but I found this episode very frustrating and ridiculous also. It might have been worth it to me if Jamie was even in it for part of it but no chance.

• Linda Bouley says:

I thought the minstral part took the tension of the search away. Flashes to Jamie’s escape & recapture by the dragoons…even perhaps his first face to face with Randall at Ft William… would have re-upped the tension, the Search is about Jamie and he should loom over the entire episode either through Claire, Jenny or Murtaugh or a flash to the actual Jamie

• Janie Monroe says:

Yeah, I can’t say it enough that IMO it was a big mistake not having Jamie in part of the episode. Look at the episode where he had to rescue Claire from being burned at the stake. He was just in the last part of it but it was probably the best part of the episode – to see them in action together. They seem to be set on trying to make us watch even if they don’t have them together in episodes. They seem to be going overboard now to prove that. Very frustrating.

10. Anne Norskog says:

I could hardly wait until the new episode this evening only to be completely mortified by its sheer goofiness! Ugh! Double ugh! Let us all hope the next segments get back on track…

11. Bonnie W says:

Another fun read. Thank you, Kimberly. I’m a non reader so I’m loving the series as is. I enjoyed this one and I thought the dancing and singing was fun. I thought Claire singing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy was hilarious.

12. DebR says:

Claire is finally having to reevaluate her behavior and its consequences. First Jenny regarding the fate of the redcoat, then Murtaugh about her unwillingness to listen to others pretty much take her to task.

I think Claire’s experience with the gypsy has taught her how to play Dougl. Someone can look you in the eye and lie to you and not be all bad. It may be just a matter of need.

13. Nikolay S says:

I really enjoy this show from the beginning. What I am wondering is why every comment below compares the show with the books. I haven’t read them and don’t misunderstand me – I don’t mind the spoilers, but why should we compare the two of them? It’s like taking the joy out of it because it didn’t go as you wanted it. This show (like every other like it) is based on the books and does not need to follow them exactly as it’s written in them. I personally like it and will continue to watch.

• ninergrl6 says:

My complaints the past few weeks have been because of the show’s divergence from the books. This week, however, my complaint is really about wasting screen time. I assumed they cut a lot of the cute, seemingly frivolous Lallybroch moments to give them more time to sufficiently address the last 100 pages of the book. Yet this week we got 15+ minutes of singing nonsense that, while actually in the book, is not at all significant and slowed down the storyline’s pace tremendously. I’m definitely more critical of the show since I read the book during the hiatus, but I think I’d have a problem with the singing/gypsy digression regardless. It just didn’t fit.

• Nikolay S says:

I got it. But still – why taking the joy out of it just because it didn’t go as in the book? Yes, I am repeating myself.

• Alichat says:

I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s taking the joy out of it by comparing the two. I think it depends upon your personality. There are some book readers who are purists….they want the show to mirror the book. Just as there are comic book fans who want the Marvel movies to mirror the stories in the comics. I can see how it would lessen the enjoyment if that is your expectation, but I don’t know if it completely takes the joy out of watching the show. It is hard not to compare the book to the show. I do it and did the same with the Harry Potter series. But I know there are things that work well in the written word that do not work at all on screen, so I don’t have an expectation that everything will be exactly as it is in the book. But I will say whether or not I liked their adaptation of a moment in the book. Also, I think it helps some non-book viewers to understand certain moments in the show by knowing what was skipped from the book or how the adaptation is different.

• Carly says:

I agree. I’m a longtime book fan and have no problem enjoying the TV show and can set it aside from the book. I wonder if these fans have never had another book they love adapted into a show or movie. I’ve been disappointed by plenty. Outlander is above and beyond better than the majority. This complaining seems to have infested this recap every week, unfortunately.

• Char says:

Spot on.

• CJEH says:

Absolutely. As Diana Herself has said- I understand the meaning of the word ‘adaptation’. This would _never_ have worked as a TV show if they’d followed the books down to the page count, because they’re two utterly different storytelling mediums. You can express things in the written word that you can’t on film, and vice versa. A good story, which is what Outlander is, can be told in different ways, even to highlighting different bits of the story each retelling, and still have the same depth and impact.

• Liljrtoro says:

Exactly. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Loving it!

14. KS says:

Wow, what an insanely dumb subplot. That was painfully embarrassing, and I couldn’t wait for it to be over.

15. AmyG says:

Loved Jenny and Claire like buddy cops going after the bad guys and a rescue mission. Jenny is a bad ass indeed. And the part with Murtags reveal was a nice surprise. I’m a non book reader viewer and the singing dancing parts had me wondering if that was in the books. I felt a lot of WTF’ery about it wondering how in the heck that could have happened in the books. But in a weird way, it was a good way to draw Jamie out so I just went with it.

16. specialka says:

I enjoyed it! I thought it was a great episode.

17. ScottJ says:

Pacing in books and pacing in TV shows / movies are totally different things. The search for Jamie took a very long time, and if the episode had tried depicting it with a simple montage we would have had no impression of that duration.

And can we stop with all the tedious wittering on about “that’s not how the book did it..”. This is a review of the TV show, not of the book. They’re different beasties..so what.

18. PFitzDc says:

I am a big fan of the book and overall I think the adaptation is fantastic…considering the different mediums (the endless exposition of the books simply wouldn’t work in a film medium). Overall, I think they’ve captured what’s most important in the way of detail, when you have a limited number of hours to tell the tale. That said, this episode didn’t make the best use of that time management, especially considering how much story they must pack in the remaining episodes. But so much of the adaptation has exceeded my expectations that I am gonna give the producers the benefit of the doubt.

19. Judy says:

I have read this first book several times and did not mind the Claire & Murtaugh show other than the length. I actually appreciated the momentary break in all the stress because I know what’s coming next and I figured the writers wanted the viewers to have a brief respite before the last two horrific episodes and then the terribly long gap in time before Dragonfly returns. I’m so glad Murtaugh follows to France….he kind of grows on ya! Thanks Mr. Lacroix.

20. Claire broke Murtagh! That’s a good line!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read these books and how much I love them- I absolutely LOVE what they’ve done with the TV show. For the most part, I love the additions and the changes. Sometimes I find my self wondering about a piece that was not in a scene but was in the book and wonder how it will it will work without it, then I find I have always been happy with how it’s played out. This episode was a bit different, while the song and dance worked very well in the book, I don’t think it played out as well in the show. It felt like something was missing but I can’t quite put my finger on it and I found it- well, kinda boring (gasp!) At the same time, I LOVED Cait and Duncan performance. Perhaps it’s just that it went on a little too long. Oh well, win many loose one, I’ll certainly be back for those last two episodes (GULP)! I can’t wait to see how Sam, Tobias and Cait pull these off!

And exactly *HOW* did they get Jenny’s breasts to do that? CG Milk?

21. Another Sassenach says:

I loved this episode and i applaud the show for the boldness of an entire episode without Jamie. I missed him for sure but this shift worked for me. For one, we got to see how deep the love Claire has for Jamie goes and we got to see the love from Murtagh as well. The bonding between Claire and Murtagh was fantastic. There was an intensity to the episode but the comedic elements made it fun as well. And the awesome way the show highlights the strength of women (Jenny was all that and more!), without demeaning the male characters is so very refreshing. I welcomed this change before the darkness to come.

22. Susan says:

I haven’t read the books so can someone tell me if Claire really agreed to marry Dougal?? I love this show and the acting is wonderful but I have to say this episode with all the singing thru the highlands was excessive. My understanding is that they only did this for a few weeks not a few months like they made it seem. There has to be so many other things that could have be told instead of the endless singing and dancing. I actually changed the channel for a little bit. But changed back in time for Murtaughs confession. Beautiful.

• Janie Monroe says:

She won’t agree to it in the book I read somewhere but they decided they wanted her to say she would in the show even though she would go home instead if Jamie was dead. Apparently they just had her do it to manipulate him.

23. Divalab1 says:

I loved this episode. Jamie & Claire give performances that bring tears to my eyes.when Claire handed Murtaugh the bracelets it was touching.

24. Connie says:

I’m so glad I’m reading these comments and that I’m not the only one who didn’t like the “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” nonsense. It just didn’t fit with the way I believe times were back then. I have been thoroughly disappointed with the last few episodes to the point I didn’t even watch them when they aired. I watched them later on the the PVR. I even apologized to people I had bugged to watch the series, telling them I didn’t expect it to be this bad. The plot was perfect in the book I don’t know why the show had to stray so far away from it in the original storyline. To no apparent benefit in my not so humble opinion. Some things are just better left alone.

• Lavendershrub says:

What is PVR? We don’t have it in UK. (and what is Memorial weekend? We don’t have that either and we are being deprived of the Finale because of your memorial weekend). If you’ve read the books you will know that Murtagh is a taciturn person. The jigging around was nonsense in this episode and a waste of film time when it should have spent more time on the Lallybroch episode.

• Connie says:

PVR is a video recorder built in to the cable box. For instance, if I am watching a show and get interrupted, I can press pause on the remote and it will record from that point on. Then you can start playing it from any TV in your home by pressing play. You can also just record like you would on any video recorder. You can also schedule any show, movie or series to be recorded on a scheduled basis. It’s very useful.
        Memorial Day is an American Holiday coming up on Monday. I think it’s to commemorate those who have served in the armed forces. We don’t get it in Canada. We had our long weekend last Monday. It’s known as Victoria Day or affectionately as “May Long” for May long weekend. Usually when gardens get planted, people open their cottages for the season, and campers take their tents and trailers out for the first time in the year.

• Bonniew88 says:

Actually, Memorial Day is a day to remember those who have lost their lives while serving. It’s supposed to be a day of rembrance and unfortunately it’s become a day for picnics and barbecues.

• Lavendershrub says:

Thank you, and Bonniew88, for your replies. We have Remembrance Sunday, the second Sunday in Nov, for WW1 and WW11 and subsequent wars, but no way is it picnics and barbecues. You couldn’t do that anyway in Nov in UK ! And it’s not the occasion for it. We have two Bank Holiday weekends in May, the first weekend and the last. At one time no shops opened on the Sunday and Monday, but sadly they all do now.
          Thanks for explaining PVR. I don’t think anyone in UK has video recorders any more. I have Satellite which does all the things your PVR does, but there is no cable in the Valley I live in, in the country. Cable is only in towns/cities, not villages.