Fall TV Preview
The Flash Elongated Man

The Flash Season 4: Hartley Sawyer to Play Stretchy Superhero Elongated Man

Barry Allen is getting a looooong helping hand.

The Flash has tapped Hartley Sawyer (The Young and the Restless) to recur as Ralph Dibny (aka Elongated Man) during Season 4, TVLine has learned.

Dibny is described as “a fast-talking private investigator with investigative skills that rival those of Batman.” Oh, and he can stretch his body to any shape or form. After discovering his new abilities, Dibny uses his superpower to help Team Flash solve one of Central City’s greatest mysteries.

In the DC Comics canon, Ralph Dibny obtained his elasticity from “gingo” fruit extract, which activated a latent metahuman gene. He went on to become a trusted ally of Barry Allen and a member of the Justice League of America.

In less friendly casting news, it was announced during San Diego Comic-Con that Neil Sandilands (aka The 100′s Titus) will portray Season 4’s new Big Bad, The Thinker. Danny Trejo (From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series, Sons of Anarchy), meanwhile, will play Earth-19 bounty hunter Gypsy’s imposing father, Breacher.

In addition to his run as The Young and the Restless‘ Kyle Abbott, Sawyer’s TV credits include GCB, Glory Daze and Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23. He also recently starred in the CW Seed web series Saving the Human Race.

The Flash Season 4 premieres Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c on The CW.

1. Joey Padron says:

Good casting. Looking forward to see him on the show in the new season!

2. Luis Roman says:

He certainly looks the part. Any word whether Ralph’s wife Sue might join him? (Yes, I know Sue was killed in “Identity Crisis,” but as has been pointed out many times, TV is a whole different universe from the comics.

• ndixit says:

For the moment, I’m going to just hope that he doesn’t end up at Caitlin’s fourth love interest. It seems that each season the major new supporting star becomes her love interest.

• JCPrime says:

I don’t see any point in bringing a wife on for him. That’s too much new people.

• clarice83 says:

I think he is going to be the new comic relief of the series, as Cisco has become a bit more serious, and he may even be interested in Caitlin, but she’s interested in him is something else, I think Caitlin has deeper issues this season than to fall in love with someone.

• T.W.S.S. says:

I just read Identity Crisis, so it would be nice to see a young and lively Sue.

• Steve F. says:

Maybe instead of being his wife, Sue could be his girlfriend…? It took a while for those two to get together.

3. Dominique says:

i would still much rather have julian back. how much do you wanna bet this is caitlin’s love interest no 4?

• ndixit says:

Unless Tom Felton had a falling out with the execs and/or actors, which I don’t think he did given fairly recent interviews, I’m sure we will see him sometime. Arrowverse brings back old characters all the time. I will miss Julian in the same way I miss Eddie. He was fun to have around but he’s not an essential part of the DNA of the show.

• T.W.S.S. says:

At this point, I think Caitlin will get a new love interest every season, but I somehow also think that Caitlin and Cisco are end game.

4. Jimmy says:

He was a terrible recast on Y&R, did not fit the role at all. Blake Hood was much better as Kyle, much more believable as Jack’s son. I’m still puzzled as to why they recast the role in the first place. Hopefully he fares better on Flash.

5. clintbrew says:

i take it there gonna be a flashback to the particle accelerator incident cus Ralph Dibny was named by fake harrison wells in Season 1 power outage episode

6. ToyCannon says:

Very happy. I always preferred Elongated Man over Plastic Man.

7. Darci says:

Ralph won’t get anywhere without his wife. Who’s cast as Sue Dibny?

8. lydia Amah says:

I think dibny will have a better chemistry with Caitlin. am already shipping them.