Fall TV Preview
ABC Fall Premiere Dates

ABC Fall Premiere Dates: XL Grey's Return, Scandal's Swan Song and More

First in the alphabet but last to show its hand, ABC has (finally) unveiled its premiere plan for the 2017-18 TV season (following CBSNBCFox and The CW), and it will put its best feet forward on Sept. 18 with Season 25 of Dancing With the Stars. The network’s slate fully arrives the following Monday, when Freddie Highmore’s Good Doctor scrubs in.

Also of note: Grey’s Anatomy gets a two-hour opener; Jason Ritter’s The Gospel of Kevin has been christened with a less ecumenical name; and you need to wait until late November to watch dads step on rakes and get clocked in the jewels.

As previously reported, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will lead out of Once Upon a Time on Fridays after Marvel’s Inhumans has ended its eight-episode run.

Also on tap for midseason are Quantico and The Bachelor, the Roseanne revival and the new series The Crossing, Deception, For the People, Splitting Up Together and Alex Inc.

All told, ABC’s rollout strategy looks like this; new shows in CAPS.

MONDAY, SEPT. 18
8/7c Dancing With the Stars Season 25

MONDAY, SEPT. 25
10 pm THE GOOD DOCTOR premiere (read our First Impression)

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 27
8 pm The Goldbergs Season 5
8:30 pm Speechless Season 2
9 pm Modern Family Season 9
9:30 pm American Housewife Season 2
10 pm Designated Survivor Season 2 (get casting updates)

THURSDAY, SEPT. 28
8 pm Grey’s Anatomy Season 14 (two-hour premiere)
10 pm How to Get Away With Murder Season 4

FRIDAY, SEPT. 29
8 pm MARVEL’S INHUMANS premiere (two hours; watch trailer)

SUNDAY, OCT. 1
7 pm The Toy Box Season 2
8 pm Shark Tank Season 2 (two-hour premiere)
10 pm TEN DAYS IN THE VALLEY premiere (read our First Impression)

TUESDAY, OCT. 3
8 pm The Middle Season 9
8:30 pm Fresh Off the Boat Season 4
9 pm black-ish Season 4
9:30 pm THE MAYOR premiere (read our First Impression)
10 pm KEVIN (PROBABLY) SAVES THE WORLD (fka The Gospel of Kevin)

THURSDAY, OCT. 5
9 pm Scandal final season

FRIDAY, OCT. 6
8 pm Once Upon a Time Season 7 (watch cast Q&A, check out trailer)

SUNDAY, OCT. 8
8 pm To Tell the Truth Season 3

SUNDAY, NOV. 26
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos Season 28 (!)

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Oran says:

Should’ve stick with “The Gospel of Kevin”. The new name is stupid.

2. Gina says:

It’s too close to “Kevin can wait”. It’ll annoy people.

3. mewp12 says:

Just looked at what is up against what and of the few things I like they are mostly up against each other. The other thing is for Sunday. Thank God there is football.

• Kevin Tran says:

ABC’s Sunday night line-up is going to be “weak” hopefully in the first half of the season now that Shark Tank is being placed.

4. Kevin Tran says:

The Mayor and Good Doctor are going to be breakout hits for ABC. Gospel of Kevin should be a stinker even though it’s in the 10 pm Tuesday night time slot (ABC’s dead zone).

5. Kenneth Detwyler says:

That new name is horrible. Anyone remember “Sean Saves The World”? Gives me the same vibes.

6. Matt C. says:

Yay! Grey’s and HTGAWM are coming back on my birthday! Thanks for an amazing early gift, ABC!

7. Douglas from Brazil says:

What.A.Mess.

8. Butch says:

They might as well be airing infomercials on Sundays until 10 PM. No scripted series from 7 PM to 10 PM. Has Sunday become the new Saturday on ABC?

9. The Rookie says:

It would be some awesome if Shonda could close the B613, Joke and Rowan saga on the season premiere. Then we could actually enjoy a season of Scandal.

• Brian says:

I so wish for this because it’s these 3 things that I dread most about this final season. The show can really go out decent to possibly really good if they don’t focus too much on these 3 things.

• Lynette M. Cullom says:

I agree. I’ve been a fan of Joe Morton, but I watched Scandal to see bad ass Olivia Pope as D.C. power broker and fixer. I wanted to see her and her team win. As Papa Pope became more powerful, Olivia became weaker. I finally had enough when she was kidnapped with plans to be sold on the black market. My husband remains a faithful viewer, however.

• Caroline says:

Please, lord – hear our plea!!

10. Question says:

Wasn’t “The Little Mermaid” Live musical scheduled for Tuesday Oct 3rd?

11. Garbo says:

Has Bridget Regan been confirmed to continue on with the role of Megan in Grey’s Anatomy ? Clearly the character will be a prominent presence the very least in the first few episodes of the season so it’s surprising no proper news on the casting just yet. Or is there a disfiguration / Jackson doing his magic / unstable Ava type of storyline in our future allowing the creators to go with a different actress ? Does anyone have info any of this ?

12. Joey Padron says:

Glad ABC finally announced the premiere dates for their shows. I can’t wait to see the new seasons of Designated Survivor and Agents of Shield! Looking forward to check out Freddie Highmore, Jason Ritter’s new shows and Marvel’s Inhumans show.

13. Carla Krae says:

Inhumans is the only thing on ABC for me until SHIELD and Quantico return. They got rid of everything else.

14. Carol_R says:

I don’t watch anything anymore on ABC. It used to be one of my most watched stations but they cancelled all of the shows I watched and none of their new ones interest me.

15. Brandy says:

Looking forward to once and Little Marmaid Live( which they changed the date of)

16. DavidSask says:

Do they always have five hours of programming on Sunday evenings?

17. Dee Willoughby says:

Abysmally Boring Channel has nothing

18. Iakovos says:

ABC, is Sunday your new Saturday? What a lame lineup. The TEN DAYS event series seems so out of place with the rest of the night. More AFV? Really?

The Jason Ritter show still needs a better title. What the Alphabet offer is PROBABLY not going to work.

I do not think this is going to be the year ABC rises to the top.

19. Iakovos says:

I wonder if ABC should cannibalize FREEFORM for something to rebroadcast on Fridays/Saturdays. THE BOLD TYPE looks promising. THE FOSTERS is a great show.

20. justbnd says:

Isn’t Shark Tank on season 9? (I’m just being nitpicky.)

• Josh says:

I was wondering the same thing. I was going to comment about it, but you beat me to it. It still said Season 2 as of this comment.

21. Ray says:

So now that all the major networks have announced their fall premiere dates, can we look forward to the annual fall calendar arriving soon?

22. Jane says:

I just saw your reply on another comment. Nevermind. Looking forward to it :)

23. greysfan says:

2 hour Greys opener makes me nervous about a certain TV Line blind item. I do love a 2 hour premiere though so yay!

24. shira chweitzer says:

What happened to The Little Mermaid Live on October 3rd?

25. Shib Neddeff says:

Wow how ABC has Fallen only one show on Network will I watch and sad to say it’s DWTS…Tue and Wed night shows are unwatchable

26. LMF says:

kevin can go away tho I do like him. Greys and Designated survivor, scandal a must see tv
    speechless can go away and bring back About a Boy. It was so much better and not stupid

27. Richard says:

When is ABC’s “Power of the People” with Britt Robertson going to debut?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Also on tap for midseason are Quantico and The Bachelor, the Roseanne revival and the new series The Crossing, Deception, For the People, Splitting Up Together and Alex Inc.”