Hawaii Five-0 Season 8 Spoilers

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Five-0, Killjoys, Arrow, Designated Survivor, Zoo, Stranger Things, Riverdale and More

Is the Hawaii Five-0 team expanding? Is Killjoys hackmod due for an encore? Will Riverdale‘s “sad breakfast club” get a new splash of red? Could Emmy come running’ to The Flash? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Will Clara (and her awesome gun-arm Alice) return for at least a few episodes of Killjoys Season 3? I still miss Defiance and I loved seeing Stephanie Leonidas pop up last year! —Katie H.
In a statement to Inside Line, the Killjoys bosses tease, “Our schedules conflicted this season, but Clara’s journey with John Jaqobis continues in a very interesting and creative way that the audiences will love.”

Any details yet on the new Designated Survivor roles that Kiefer Sutherland hinted at? —Rich
The roles have yet to be cast, but the new characters we will meet in Season 2 include a “fiery” female White House Counsel and a “ruggedly handsome” MI-6 operative who crosses paths with Hannah.

Is Kono leaving Hawaii Five-0? — Della
There’s no official word yet on the fate of Kono, who went “rogue” to deliver justice to the other hubs of the sex trafficking ring, but interpret this as you will: Five-0 for Season 8 is looking to cast the series regular role of a female lifeguard who was a first-rate candidate at the police academy until she got kicked out for 1) cheating on an exam and B) punching out a training officer. Don’t be surprised if this new arrival eventually makes her way onto McGarrett’s team.

Is Riverdale’s Cheryl going to get any closer to joining the sad breakfast club in Season 2? —Katherine
“I love that reference!” laughed Madelaine Petsch when I hand-delivered your Q. “I would love to see that, but I actually think she’s going to become even colder and even meaner in Season 2. After what happened in Season 1, she’s just done. She’s so shut down and broken.” Which is not to say that redhead doesn’t want to gnosh alongside Veronica et al. “Veronica wants Cheryl to become a part of the gang, and Cheryl wants so badly to become a part of the gang,” Petsch says, “but she’s so egotistical and there’s so much going on in her head that she doesn’t do it.”

Will Greg be in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 3? I would really like him with Rebecca! —Jeanette
Series co-creator and star Rachel Bloom put it this way when we asked her about Greg (played by Santino Fontana): “Here’s what I’ll say: If we were bringing him back, I wouldn’t tell you. But we love him, he’s wonderful, he’s amazing and we miss him. On the other hand, I’m very happy Greg is away for what’s going down this [coming] season. The things Rebecca does, in many ways, she couldn’t do if Greg was there, since he was sort of her moral compass.”

Will Helix be around in Arrow Season 6? —Stephanie
Having bailed on Felicity — immediately after using her to find and free their founder, superhacker Cayden James — Helix’s status is very much “a dangling thread, and we don’t like to leave those hanging around,” co-showrunner Wendy Mericle notes. “It’d be a great, sort of built-in story for Felicity to revisit these people, who are not very happy with her, let’s be honest. We left that open-ended on purpose, for sure.”

Is there any wordStana Katic Absentia on Stana Katic’s new show, Absentia, making its way to the U.S.? Sony had mentioned their streaming service, Crackle early on but has since backed away from it. —Jenn
As reported here, the pilot’s screening at this month’s Monte-Carlo Television Festival in essence marks the launch of the big push toward securing a Stateside home; we will of course keep you posted. And you are correct, rumors of Crackle giving a home to the series here are inaccurate, I have been assured.

Thanks for the Stranger Things Season 2 intel this week. Do you have anything on Sean Astin’s character? —Jeremy
The Goonies vet will play a former high school chum of Joyce (Winona Ryder) and Sheriff Hopper’s (David Harbour) who now works as the manager of the local RadioShack. Series co-creator Ross Duffer says the role will show off “a different side” of the actor, before raving that Astin “killed it. He made the part so interesting. He made us write such a better character.” And don’t just take his word for it. Adds the EP: “The few people who have seen [Season 2] are just raving about him.”

Could you confirm that It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13 has been delayed a year? — Jeff
“A year” might be a little harsh. I’m hearing that due to the cast’s extracurricular activities, the FXX comedy is likely not to return with new episodes until late 2018.

When is Major Crimes returning? —Melvin
Fall.

Does Lena Luthor already know Kara is Supergirl? Just drop us a hint. —Monique
Cat Grant may have just shown her own hand in the season finale, but “at the moment,” co-showrunner Andrew Kreisberg told us at the end of the season, “Lena definitely thinks they’re two people.”

Was “that” final scene in Blindspot contingent on the show’s renewal? The conclusion of the episode, just before that, seemed like it would have been perfect closure if it had been the series finale. —Ryan
Nope, there was only one version of the Blindspot Season 2 finale, and you saw it on your TV box. That super-provocative flash-forward was always a part of it.

Is there any possibility that The Flash’s “Runnin’ Home to You” could be nominated for an Emmy? —SSH
It is absolutely eligible, yes.

What can we expect from Zoo this summer? –Amanda
When I asked Billy Burke if the 10-years-later premise is basically, “It’s the hybrids’ world and we just live in it,” he said, “It’s partly that. They’ve taken over part of the planet,” including exactly one half of the United States, which now has a wall (hmm…) running down the middle of it. And while last season’s epilogue revealed that Jamie (played by Kristen Connolly) is now a successful author, Burke hinted that she’s been using that income to finance “her own crusade.”

Real questions, real answers! If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com(With reporting by Andy Swift)

1. Grace says:

Thank you for the H50 scoop, Matt! I still feel like it could go either way with Kono since the show perpetually seems to be looking for a new female regular to add (Jenna, Lori, Catherine, Abby). Of the ones they’ve tried I think Abby has been the best addition by far–I wish they could keep Julie Benz! Hopefully this new character will have good chemistry with the team.

2. ellajasper says:

Oh, I love Kono and Adam? Why would they want to replace her? She has a great relationship with the rest of the team. Sad to hear she may be leaving.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

Kono is the reason I started watching Hawaii Five-O. If Kono leaves it sort of kills my incentive to watch the show.

• Michael Rose says:

My sentiments exactly. I don’t believe P. Lenkov will allow one of, if not the biggest draws for the show to leave. His male viewership would take a serious hit for sure. I was thinking he should put her in charge of the team if Steve leaves. She’s smart, bad ass and very easy on the eyes. Getting rid of Kono would be a bad way to go IMO…

• Except, Steve’s not leaving anytime soon. Alex just said in his CBS Watch! Magazine interview that came out in May that he can do another “season or two.” While I love Kono, the show can survive without her. Once Alex leaves, it’s done.

3. jr. says:

What about Wayward Pines? Is it coming back or not?

4. Liz says:

Thanks for the Felicity scoop. Nice to know they’re not even gonna pretend she’s dead, lol!

5. Anne says:

Cheryl is my absolute favourite character on Riverdale so I want to see her join the Sad Breakfasts Club! She needs true friends so bad.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I do like Cheryl but honestly please stop with the plastered on bright red lipstick. She’s such a pretty girl and that is not attractive. I can’t hardly stand to look at her when she’s wearing that, lol.

• Summer says:

I don’t think it’s actually meant to be attractive. It seems more as though it’s supposed to function as some sort of social warpaint/mask for her.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Could be but I see it a lot in other shows too so I think it’s kinda the “in” thing. It’s very distracting and I think they look so much better without it. I mean there’s nothing wrong with wearing lipstick, but that caked on bright red is just ugly. Just my own opinion of course.

6. Janet says:

I may be in the minority, but as a hopeless romantic, I still want Catherine to come back. She and Steve complimented each other so well. I do like Abby on the team, but Steve McG needs his HEA, and for me, that will always be Catherine.

7. Bill says:

Re: your comment on Sunny, saying a year might be a little harsh, then go on to say it is returning in late 2018. That’s more than a year. Not harsh enough for you? How about late 2019?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hi there Bill! Here is how my math worked. This last season premiered Jan 4. Meaning technically next season is due Jan 2018. The reader suggested it’d be a year AFTER that, so my position is “late 2018” isn’t quite Jan 2019. Hope that clarifies!

8. LMF says:

I hope Kona stays. She is a good fit. I would like to see Catherine too but I also like Abby.
    I really like Billy Burke in Zoo. He was the main reason I started watching and love the show.

9. MplsGal says:

I’ve always wanted someone to discover Kara is Supergirl because Kara ends up ill / dying near kryptonite and the clueless person (Lena) has to save her. tada

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

I’ve noticed that kryptonite doesn’t really affect Kara that much. It only makes her somewhat weaker than usual. Also it doesn’t seem to cause her a lot of pain. And she recovers almost instantly when it’s gone. Compare that to the reaction Superman has when exposed to in. In the first Superman movie he was dying when Lex put the kryptonite around his neck, in extreme pain, and it took him a while to get over it.
      Same sort of thing on Lois & Clark and Smallville. While in Myriad Supergirl took a kryptonite bullet and was still able to move her space pod and then just pulled the bullet out and tossed it away.

10. D says:

Lena’s a certified genius. They’re only keeping her oblivious for a blatant evil turn which is a horrible mistake for her character at this point. Katie & Melissa’s dynamic works so much better with their characters as friends…. If they’re not going to go down the romance path which still makes so much sense.

11. Kevin Tran says:

It’s going to be very sad for fans of Hawaii Five-O if Grace Park is leaving.

• NRQ says:

Me included. Kono is such a perfect fit with the guys of H50 but if she leaves, I will be bummed because there is no replacing her. I do like Abby, though and she might work out in the long run. No more Catherine, please. It’s done. Move it along. No offense to the few Steve and Catherine shippers out there of course.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I think there are more Catherine and Steve shippers than you realize. Although I don’t really do the shipping thing, I just like them together but if he finds someone else I’m fine with that too.

12. ninergrl6 says:

Thanks for the CEG scoop. I, too, miss Greg but Rachel is right: he was a voice of reason/morality in Rebecca’s life, and it sounds like she ain’t got time for that. Excited to see where this goes!

13. Aolani08 says:

The Helix storyline was a waste they were supposed to be notorious hackers but they needed Felicity to do the hacking

14. ReneCat says:

Interesting….a “Ruggedly handsome” MI-6 operative….hope this turns out good for Hannah because nothing else has so far.

15. Amanda says:

Thanks for answering my question about Zoo! I’m intrigued where they are going with it after last season and the epilogue.

16. JMark (formerly JM) says:

Glad to hear about Sean Astin. He’s such a good actor, and I’m glad to hear that he’s finally given a good role that he can really excel in.

17. nope says:

Minority view: the H50 spoiler made me throw up in my mouth a little.

18. Olivia says:

Oh come on Kreisberg! Stop insulting your character’s and viewership’s intelligence FFS. These people don’t deserve the AMAZING cast they have. On second thought, they don’t deserve their original audience either.

19. sdenise24 says:

Alex O’Loughlin said something on his Instagram page about leaving the show, but I never saw a confirmation anywhere else. Did he really announce his exit from the show on IG and no one noticed or is he just teasing his fans?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Google “Alex oLoughlin tvline 2016”

• H50fannie says:

He said he will leave the show after Season 8 so S8 may be last season for Alex O loguhglin.

• Another Poster says:

If it is the last season for Alex O’Loughlin, then it’s probably the last season for the show as it probably could not last without him. James Garner had to leave the Rockford Files, because, the stunt work was too demanding, and if Alex decided it’s time to go, his health is more important than a program which has been on the air for seven season already, many of them after it moved from Monday to Friday. It has been on the air long after many people predicted the shift would get it cancelled. I would love a season nine of Hawaii Five-O, but, not at the expense of anyone’s health and well being.

• Belle says:

In his latest interview from February for CBS Watch Magazine he said his treatments were working so well on his back he may consider at least one additional season. No guarantees though. Also, that “official” acct, despite it’s name, is just a fan account. He only has a facebook page run by his representative.

You should still read the interview he did here in November. It’s a wonderful interview.

20. TvPeong says:

on Killjoys, I hope that Jonny doesn’t become machine enhanced. I’l not loving the image at the top

21. Bell says:

Thanks for the scoop about Stana, Matt. I’ll be very disappointed if it doesn’t get a US home.

22. Sarah says:

Oh, Zoo. You’re seriously and unapologetically out of your mind, and I love you for it. However, thank you for not actually killing off Mitch (Billy Burke) because otherwise we would be fighting.

23. Lydia Carrizosa says:

Can you give us any news up and coming on Nathan Fillion.

24. Jason says:

I don’t know why Helix would be unhappy with Felicity. She helped them. They just didn’t want to stay in the orbit of Ollie and Argus.

25. lame says:

With out owning part or all of the production it’s unlikely any major network will distribute Absentia in the States. It doesn’t make sense financially.
    There’s plenty of quality shows produced across the pond that we never see. Absentia may be one.

26. lame says:

Blindspot got greenlighted, did it not? Thought I read it was renewed.
    Looking foreward to the time jump and the regrouping of the team.

27. Ella says:

Here’s a random thought – can we get Charisma Carpenter on Five-0? Her BFF Julie Benz is there, might make for a fun set! Steve could use a better love interest than the ones he’s been dealt and I need CC on my screen on a regular basis.

28. L. Carter says:

I hope Kono returns. And that Steve and Catherine have relationship renewed. They are perfect couple and everyone lies and is forgiven but Cath. Cath adds a little more to the show when she in epi. They deserve happiness together! Alex I hope stays to S9!!!

29. L. Carter says:

Also I think it rude for fans to tell other fans what not to like. We all like H5O and have our own opinions. Quit bullying Stop telling people they wrong or stupid or not a real fan cause they don’t want what you want. Steve and Cath foever! Yeah freedom of speech!