Ask Ausiello

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Supergirl, Scorpion, Lucifer, Younger, Will & Grace, New Girl, Bloodline, Arrow and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Inquiring minds are desperate to know: Was Showtime’s Twin Peaks revival the subject of your recent blind item?! —Carol
Ausiello: Sure as hell wasn’t. Speaking of TP, I’ve seen Episodes 3 and 4 and I have an announcement to make: My (minority) opinion remains unchanged, although I have to give props to Kyle MacLachlan for fearlessly committing to the wackadoodle material.

Scorpion WeddingQuestion: Anything you can tease about Scorpion? —Stephanie
Ausiello: Now that Happy and Toby have tied the knot, executive producer Nick Santora is confident that another major development is in sight for the couple — like, say, a pint-sized addition to Team Scorpion. “Like all things, the answers can be found in elementary school: First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes something in a baby carriage,” Santora hints. Though he says he’s in no rush to bring a baby genius onto the show, Santora believes a pregnancy is “the natural progression” for Happy and her new husband. “One of my favorite speeches of the season was when Happy said she always wanted to wait outside the school for her kid,” he tells us. “She still wants that, and Toby wants that.”

Question: Long time fan, first time caller. Any news on how Will & Grace will retcon its finale? Or are they pulling a Roseanne and just ignoring it all? —Eliott
Ausiello: They’re (mostly) pulling a Roseanne. The finale posited that Will and Grace remained estranged well into their 50s. That will clearly be scrubbed from the history books. Completely eliminating Will and Grace’s now-teenage children (with Leo and Vince, respectively) from the revival equation will likely prove more of a challenge. But that’s what boarding school is for, right?

Question: I’m still recovering from the deaths of the Supernatural finale. Yeah. I know. I should be used to it, right? What can you say about Misha Collins and Mark Sheppard? Are they in Season 13? Or have we seen the last of Cas and Crowley on the show? —Fernanda
Ausiello: Pretty sure Collins’ Cas is sticking around (in some form). Sheppard’s Crowley, however, is dunzo (for now, at least).

Question: Desperate Younger fan here! Anything you can tell me about Season 4? –Lucy
Ausiello: Actually, Lucy, we recently visited the Younger set, where star Sutton Foster revealed how things pick back up when the show returns on June 28: “Season 4 starts with [Liza and Kelsey] back on that couch, so I had to make sure that dress still fit. We start right back in that conversation between her and Kelsey, and Kelsey does not take it well, which I expected. But what did surprise me was how everything unfolds after that. I had no idea how her reaction would affect the show, how it would all play out.”

Question: I’m obsessed with Lucifer! What can you tease about the finale next week? —Maria
Ausiello: As hinted previously, “The Good, the Bad and the Crispy” “is where everything comes to a head,” says co-showrunner Joe Henderson. “Lucifer finally answers the question of, ‘What do you do with a problem called Mom?’ and it’s the biggest episode we’ve ever done. It’s also our most special effects[-heavy] episode ever. We made a very big episode and somehow we were able to pull it off, so it’s explosive, but most importantly, and very important to me, it wraps up the Season 2 storyline and then ends on a cliffhanger that sets up what Season 3 is going to be.” And as that happens, “You’re going to have people throwing stuff at the TV when it ends,” Henderson warns. “But throw soft stuff, stuff that’ll bounce.”

Question: I loved the Once Upon a Time season finale. Could they be doing Narnia next season? If not, I’m surprised by the name Lucy. But I could totally be reading too much into it. —David
Ausiello: Looks like you answered your own question at the end there, David. Matt Mitovich asked the Once creators if there is anything to be gleaned from the naming of Henry’s daughter, and they came back with a decisive “no.”

Question: I’m stressing out about The 100 finale tonight! Anything you can tell us? Especially about Bellamy and Clarke? Thank you! —Salimah
Ausiello: Ah, we have a “Bellarke” fan on our hands, eh? Well, you’ll be happy to know that the two characters share a very emotional conversation at the top of the episode — though you’re right to be worried by its foreboding undertones.

Question: The Legion ring was shown in the fortress in Kevin Smith’s Supergirl episode. When will see it used in action? —Jen
Ausiello: When we delivered your Q to Supergirl star Melissa Benoist, she answered, “The Legion Ring, I believe, is on its way — but I don’t know exactly when.”

Question: Is it safe to assume that Cat Grant is back full time for Season 3 of Supergirl? She looked pretty cozy in her old office. —Kellen
Ausiello: It is not safe to assume that. Despite the fact that Flockhart was listed among the series regulars in Supergirl‘s official Season 3 press release, I’m told she will not rejoin the full-time ranks. But if the scheduling can be worked out, you can count on her putting in a handful of guest appearances, as she did in Season 2. BONUS SCOOP: Casting for Season 3 villain Reign is underway and rumor has it the Big Bad will have a major presence in Season 3 (i.e. appearing in possibly a dozen episodes).

Question: I want to know more about those OMG! moments coming up in Nashville. —Jess
Ausiello: We know of at least three: One involves Gunnar and Scarlett, one is about Juliette, and one has to do with Maddie.

Question: I’d love a Bloodline final-season scoop! —Jesse
Ausiello: The series finale “brings to a close the chapter of this story for the Rayburns,” teases exec producer Todd Kessler, who adds, “But it also leaves the audience with a question. And it’s a question that hopefully you will turn to the person you’re watching with and go, ‘What do you think happened?’ It’s meant to be satisfying and thought-provoking.” Having seen the finale, I can confirm that it succeeds on both fronts. I can also confirm that the Season 3 episode everyone will be talking about is not No. 10 (aka the finale). It’s No. 9 (the penultimate episode). I’m still processing everything that transpired in it. BTW, the final season drops this Friday on Netflix.

Question: Anything on Arrow? —Alexandra
Ausiello: Talia and Nyssa’s family reunion in tonight’s finale is “pretty al Ghul-ish from the second you see them on screen together,” actress Lexa Doig tells TVLine. And when the dust from the battle settles between the sisters, “There’s a clear winner, for sure. They choreographed a really wicked fight scene. And our stunts double just killed it in terms of selling it. I will say it’s pretty epic, but the whole episode is epic. It’s like one ‘holy s—t!’ moment after another.”

Question: Whatcha hearing about Fear the Walking Dead this season? — Brett
Ausiello: What, this wasn’t enough? OK, how’s this? In some ways, Season 3, which kicks off Sunday, June 4 (9/8c, AMC), marks a reset for the Walking Dead prequel. In the two-hour premiere alone, “there are some stories we are able to wrap up,” showrunner Dave Erickson says. Such as? “There’s a character we sort of put aside for a while last season who had a huge impact on Strand. She’s going to return, and Strand will have to come to terms with that.” Which may explain why the first Season 3 photo released of Colman Domingo showed his alter ego with blood on his hands and a shell-shocked expression on his face.

This AAnd That…
Any other Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt watchers encounter a precipitous dip in quality following Season 3’s sixth episode? I found Episodes 7, 8 and 9 to be something of an endurance test. Does it get back on track with Episode 10?
New Girl fans can stop wondering/worrying how this bit of news will impact Nasim Pedrad’s involvement in the Fox’s comedy’s eight-episode final season, because I’ve got the scoop: It will have little to no effect. I’m told we will likely see Aly in at least six, maybe seven of the episodes.
Is it already out there that Big Apple-based Difficult People shot a tiny portion of its upcoming third season (the finale, specifically) on location in Los Angeles? It is? OK, as you were.
♦ Did you see what the nice people at Bates Motel left on my doorstep on Tuesday? You did? OK, as you were.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Kim Roots, Andy Swift, Vlada Gelman and Rebecca Iannucci)

1. Worrying ahead of time…How much are we going to hate the finale of The Leftovers

Still pissed about Lost

• Tea says:

Well it’s been said since season 1 that they’re not gonna explain why they disappeared.

• Emily says:

why would you be pissed about the greatest series finale of all time? (Lost)

• Temperance says:

I pretty much hate The Leftovers as much as is ever going to happen already, though if they do as they have said and leave the main plot conceit unanswered, I may develop a new depth of dislike just for it.

2. Betty says:

Thanks for the New Girl Aly news. I love her and am happy to hear she’ll be around.

3. Susie says:

I in general was disappointed by KImmy Schmidt this season. Jacqueline was off in her own horrible storyline most of the season, disappearing for episodes and barely interacting with the core group. And as much as I love Carol Kane, her character is best in small doses. In general, KImmy felt rudderless and her arc payoff was, without spoiling it, a huge deus ex machina.

• T.W.S.S. says:

For some reason, Kimmy felt like a supporting character this season. Season one built up to her confronting the Reverend; season two built up to her confronting her mom; but there wasn’t really a confrontation in season three.

4. Chance says:

Every season of Kimmy Schmidt has sort of fallen off a cliff for the final 3rd of the episodes. This hasn’t changed for season 3. Love the show, but they really lose steam in the final episodes.

5. Wenders says:

“Completely eliminating Will and Grace’s now-teenage children (with Leo and Vince, respectively)”
    That’s reversed. Will was with Vince, Grace with Leo. :)

6. Long Live the Legion! #teambrainy

7. LK says:

I’d hope Calista makes more appearances next season than she did this season on Supergirl… and I would expect the Legion flight ring to connect to Mon-El’s disappearance if they want an easy cure to his lead issues.

• Irina says:

Haha… I just said the same thing regarding the ring and Mon-El

• Phun says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I hope we see more of Calista next season and yes, I see the Legion ring connected to Mon-El’s return.

8. Irina says:

My guess… Mon-El’s little detour was to meet up with the members of the Legion and that’s how the ring will come into play and why we’ve seen it a few times.

9. Sofie says:

After spending the weekend before completely devouring Master of None, I’ve been struggling to finish UKS.

10. Cheryl says:

Dear Michael Ausiello: Thank you for what you do! <3

11. Patrick says:

So, the blind item show has to be the new Shondaland Romeo and Juliet sequel, correct? Given that the promos feature almost no dialog, it must suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Jooshua says:

A lot of people seem to think it’s Inhumans due to the poor reception of the promo photo and ABC choosing to premiere it and air it on Fridays.

• ScottJ says:

Inhumans had barely started filming at the time. The blind item series had most of its episodes completed. The Inhumans producers also aren’t big enough names to block a sale – without invoking Marvel anyway.

• Geo says:

Think about it: it’s a Shonda show that’s getting a premiere… in the summer… on a Monday. That by itself pretty much confirms how much of a stinker it is. If ABC thought it was any good at all, it’d be screaming from the rooftops about it being the next big thing, premiering it in Fall, and putting it on Thursday’s TGIT. The previews also look like they fit the way, way over-budget part of the blind item perfectly, too. I’d say there’s a good chance we’ll find Shakespeare already wrote the review for “Still Star Struck” in a different play: “It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

• Patrick says:

Yup. If it were decent, Shonda would be talking it up in every interview. She’s hardly mentioned it. They will burn it off this summer.

12. dansue says:

Are they gonna do a Death of Supergirl story? If Reign=Doomsday it could happen. I would watch for Alex’s reaction alone. She better be the one to cradle the body, I’m tearing up just thinking about it

• sandy says:

Pls. Don’t do this story. Boring as hell. If they do, sorry it’s mon-el will be the one that cradle the body. Male lover cradle much more better than anything.

13. Kerricatt says:

Mr. Ausiello, you have the best job in the world!

14. People are so quick to assume things-& jump to conclusions -Lucy so the MUST be doing Narnia.( Didn’t the asker read the post Mortimem interviews where they shot that down?)
    Cats back for two eps after the actress choose to leave so she MUST be returning as a regular in s3🙄She choose to leave as a regular

• Ryan says:

Regarding the Cat Grant thing, I think the reason people thought she might be staying is because there were a couple of scenes were she was redecorating her old office as if she was going to be using it again instead of James. If they don’t know that Calista Flockhart chose not to return full time, I can see why people would take that as a sign that she was sticking around. Even knowing that she’d made that choice, I personally wondered if it was a hint that we’d see at least a bit more of her next season.

• KCC says:

We’ll see her as often as we saw James in that office in season 2.

• Jean says:

Well look at season 2, Catco wasn’t in every episode and neither was James. They just need to get her to appear in at least 8-10 episodes spread throughout the season and keep her character at Catco. Than having an 18-gap between her appearances.

Even if it means she appears via phone or she is on a tv screen directing her staff while she is away from town. She still has a presence, even if Kara Skype calls her for advise. They can film a majority of material when she is in town, for a couple of episodes in advance too.

• lame says:

With a little imagination a replica of her office could be built in L.A. and she would operate almost as with usual. Most of the original are now Kara.

15. JMark (formerly JM) says:

RE: The Bates Motel gift: I’m sooooo jealous!!!!!

16. Maxsmom says:

Lillian, Jacqueline, and especially Titus stories and actors were good throughout the season. But while Ellie Kemper is wonderful, Kimmy’s stories can get a little Gumpish and beats are missed: i.e. it was great to see Xan but I wish she had crossed paths with Jacqueline. Even less than perfect though, Unbreakable is one of the top 3 comedies on TV.

17. "A" says:

Calling it now:
    The Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash, & Legends of Tomorrow crossover in November ( 27th, 28th, 29th, & 30th this year ) will see Valor aka Mon-El arriving on Earth 38 from the 31st century ( possibly with cousin Laurel Gand aka Andromeda, Shadow Lass, Saturn Girl, and/or Brainiac 5 ) in episode 8 as the leader of the Legion of Super-Heroes in need of help from Teams Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, & Legends to defeat Glorith of Baaldur & The Time Trapper as well as The Dominators on his ‘Earth.

( the first 12 episodes of Supergirl will see Reign as the shows villain and the remaining 10 episodes a new villain )

18. kmw says:

So Twin Peaks isn’t the series it has to be Still Star Crossed

• Petey says:

The Deuce is the blind item. It’s a show from hbo and could be vinyl 2.0. Too bad. Hbo needs another hit since GOT is almost ending.

19. Jack says:

I had the exact thoughts about uks season 3. I really enjoyed the first couple but I noticed as it went along how much attention I was actually giving to the show. I think it showed it’s flaws this season. There are only so many things kimmy can do for the first time.

20. Derek says:

If they can only have Calista for a handful of episodes, I hope they pepper them throughout the season, so we don’t go 18 episodes without her again. Use her like Linda Carter.

21. lame says:

Supergirl is so much better with Calista Flockhart.

• Derek says:

Yes! Get her to do six episodes a yer and pepper them throughout the season! Let James Olsen go if you need to, to afford it. No one cares about Guardian.

22. jericho says:

I really hope that the “handful” of episodes of Supergirl that will include Calista is more than this year’s “handful”. Even if she has to be via “vid phone” or something. It was incredibly clear from the finale 2 hours that her presence was missed more than we knew. Her light on that show and her identity as Kara’s touchstone with the real world is essential to what the show as in S1 and it was missing in S2. They tried to replace her with Lena (and I like that character now more than ever) but Cat is her real mentor.

23. Mary Kelly says:

I too am obssessed with Lucifer..and can not believe have to wait MONTHS before that devil returns..

24. H.Ru says:

Sorry but Gilmore Girls revival sucked too

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Sacrilege! Just kidding. It was bad. Cannot believe they’re thinking about doing another season.

25. Rich says:

Cas is definitely sticking around – both Jared and Misha talked about it at a convention last weekend, and I’ve got to say I’m very glad about it. Can’t imagine the show without Team Free Will!

26. Iakovos says:

There is a reason we do not need to pin endings onto shows when they finish. The never really finish anymore. W&G can reboot without regard to history. The series’ success was more about characters than ongoing plot. Let’s just have fun with these characters, please. No one cares about what happened down the line anyway.

27. Tracy says:

Dean and Sam have Chuck aka God on speed dial! They need to call him and ask him to save Cas!

28. Cactus Rose says:

STUPID FREAKIN’ HOLIDAY! I missed the season finale of Lucifer! Will there be a re-run Saturday night maybe? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!