Post Mortems
Once Upon a Time Season 6 Finale Spoilers

Once Upon a Time Bosses Break Down Finale's Closure-Filled Montage, Tease [Spoiler]'s Season 7 Adventure

ABC’s Once Upon a Time closed a six-season chapter with Sunday night’s finale, before cracking the binding on a brand-new adventure involving a familiar-ish face. Read our recap, then click over to our Q&A with the series creators, who offer a peek at what Season 7 holds.

With the Black Fairy’s extra-dark curse cast after Emma and Hook said “I do,” Henry woke up in a Storybrooke where Emma had been committed for believing in fairy tales-come-to-life, while Fiona was mayor/his other mom. Regina, Snow, David and Hook meanwhile found themselves in the Charmings’ TEF palace, before hot-footing it to the Evil Queen’s castle to join forces with Regina’s other half. Upon Zelena’s arrival with one of the Mad Hatter’s other hats, they traveled to the hub that joins all the realms, only to realize that Emma’s lack of belief back home was causing all the worlds to crumble.

Anxious to return home to Emma, Hook set out to climb the beanstalk and pinch one of the giant’s magic beans, which he did with David’s help. And while they dodged a dragon, their journey down to the ground was not without incident, as the churning dark curse caused them both to tumble hard, as the stalk crashed.  And though they both survived (David, thanks to a pilot-paralleling kiss from Snow), the bean’s magic got sapped by the curse. With no way out, the Evil Queen volunteered to hold off the curse as long as she could, while the others huddled in the center of the gradually enveloped courtyard. The curse fell short of consuming them, though, as Emma back in Storybrooke agreed to believe Henry’s version of events, after his handmade mini-storybook led her to bail on her bail bondswoman encore.

Fiona meanwhile realized that Rumple, from whom she took away and hid Belle, in fact has been “awake” this whole time. She invited him to ally with her, to live in a world where their power would be unchecked, even by the rules of magic that for so long have kept Baelfire from being resurrected. Rumple doesn’t fall for her come-on, though, and instead grabs her wand to vanquish her, into a pile of dust. The Black Fairy’s handiwork lived on, though, having tasked Gideon with killing the Savior — and no commands directed at his plucked heart can stop him. Emma mulled her options with her returned family and husband — to either sacrifice herself, and thus the light, or to kill Gideon, and in doing so lose her own light.

Emma chose the former, allowing Gideon to slay her on Main Street amid much glowy sparks and what not. And though Emma was felled, True Love’s Kiss from son Henry revived her — as well as restored the incinerated storybook. Gideon meanwhile returned to baby form, much to a reunited Belle and Rumple’s delight. From here, they now can live on doing what they love, knowing that happy endings exist, Snow observes. “An ending isn’t happiness; being together is.”

Cue a sprawling montage where the Charmings go about living life on a farm/back teaching, the dwarfs gift Regina’s mayoral office with a royal upgrade, Henry returns to that thing called “school” and sheriff Emma deputizes Hook.

We then leap forward some years, where Lucy — a little girl we glimpsed in the finale’s cold open, where she and her dad struggled to safeguard the storybook in the Enchanted Forest — knocks on an apartment door in Seattle. Who answers but her dad aka Henry Mills. Henry claims he doesn’t have a daughter, but Lucy has pressing business for the young man, seeing as his family needs him….

Click on to Page 2 for our Q&A with Once Upon a Time creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis, to discuss what we just saw — and what it all means for Season 7.

1. laurelnev says:

Kudos to the team. That finale hit all of the right notes, despite a really depressing first hour. I actually would have liked that 1st hour cut in half, so that we could have had more than 10 minutes for a denouement. And I almost wish THIS, plus a final hour, was the series finale. Maybe I would have had these 2 hours, and then the wedding and an epilogue, if I had my ideal situation. LOVED all the parallels to S1, and although I’m sort if expecting to be “in” for next year’s reboot, with a little creative editing, these last few hours could have made a VERY satisfying goodbye until the inevitable reboot and/or movie and/or spin-off. Maybe that’s what we should consider next season to be! Wonder what curse it was that made Adult Henry lose his memories!

Thanks for the ride, guys. We’ve had ups and downs, but all in all, it was a great ride with a fantastic ending. (And SO much more satisfying than Lost’s. :-D)

And thanks, Community, for the discussions. I’ve enjoyed them a lot!

And nice to see the Charmings FINALLY get out of that tiny apartment! Always wondered why they didn’t live in Coma David’s house, especially after fake wife left for Boston! ;) And Belle/Rumple got a baby Gideon back! And they ALL lived happily ever after!

• Mojo says:

They clearly didn’t “live happily ever” after as the final season is a time jump of many years…and we know most of the cast is gone, so something definitely happened to them.

You can’t even compare this to Lost’s series finale, that was truly well done, having most of the cast return and popular couples be endgame. Lost series finale was DONE as that, as a Series Finale. The season 6 finale of OUAT, wasn’t, that’s why there’s a S7, and not a Spin-Off with a Season 1.

2. Wtactualf says:

Giant eye roll to the last 15 seconds of the finale. That should’ve been the series finale.

• BrianL says:

I think they wrote it that way, in case this WAS the series finale. That way it could have sustained a satisfying ending had it NOT got picked up for another season.

• BrianL says:

• Aca says:

I totally agree with you! I love the show and would like it to be on forever, but in season 7 we lose those key characters we fell in love with in the beginning. I think that season 6 finale should have been the series finale and the last fifteen seconds could be in a spin off of the show. I will watch season 7 to see how it ends but I won’t be as engaged in it now that there’s no Emma no Snow no Charming. They made the show and without them it would be nothing and I feel it will be hard to go on without them. I hate it when people change a show that has a certain plot a certain story that it’s told for a while and they go in a different direction towards the end. I feel with season 7 I will like but won’t love it like I did the first 6 seasons it won’t be the same. I was satisfied with the season 6 finale I loved it but I don’t know if I’ll be satisfied with season 7! I worried for it. I hope it’s good or I’ll not be so happy about.

3. Ronnie says:

I actually really dug that ending! That little teaser got me excited enough to come back in the fall to find out what happens next, and leaves the door open to see favorites again.

• I would have loved that ending, if ALL characters would come back as recurring characters, not regulars, seeing as we are going with adult Henry, and all the current players would have to be twenty years older. But the fact that they are keeping Regina, Gold and Hook as regulars, but not the others, THAT rubs me the wrong way.

And why would Henry be in Seattle instead of Baelfire’s apartment in NY?

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Well to be fair, Regina, Gold and Hook are all effectively immortal, in ways the others aren’t. And people can move in “many years”. At least the scenery will be more consistent with Vancouver?

• Cortnie Michel says:

Violets family is from Seattle… So maybe something to do with that?

4. Jack says:

I’m not gonna lie, and I’m not exactly sure why, but the last 10 minutes of the finale had me crying like a baby. I still don’t understand what the Black Fairy would have gained had she won and kept her version of Storybrooke alive, or even what her real deal was, but forget all that. Loved the LOTR-like multiple endings with the realms coming back and everyone finding their happy endings, plus the reboot teased at the very end. LOVED IT!

5. Kristina says:

Loved the ending! Personally don’t feel the need to see the “new beginning” unfold, so this will work perfectly as a series finale in my mind. Thank you TVline for covering the show all these years!

• Claire says:

I feel the same way about the new chapter as a lot of other people . Once upon a time was my favorite show and I am going to miss the old characters. I never wanted the show to end but would actually prefer it to have ended the show here instead of trying a new chapter. I might give the new story line a try but I will always consider up to season six the real Once Upon A Time. Can’t believe it’s over but I am definitely going to binge watch the show from the beginning this week. Im definitely going to miss the original cast and show.

6. fernando933 says:

I really felt like this was a great way to end this 6 year run. I will give adult Henry a try but I hope it keeps everyone who isn’t on the show happy let that happy ending live on let Regina be the one in trouble since she will be back and maybe Henry will need gold mind and hook strength to help save her.

7. Susan says:

Disturbing! This episode gave me a thick feeling of vertigo!

8. laurelnev says:

All I want to know is what curse is Henry under that he wouldn’t see the book and IMMEDIATELY think…

(You all know where I’m going here…)

9. This would have been an amazing series finale.
    And for me it is. Fare thee well, oncers!

10. Jack says:

I also have to say that I loved the Lost reference with Adult Henry’s Seattle apartment being a big ol #815 in the flash forward/now-present.

11. aaron says:

It was horrible. point.blank.

12. Val says:

I am going to miss my favourite Emma Swan!!! Just a great character and growth, and with her family and the love story of Emma and Hook!!

13. Best episode in a long time. I love episodes that feel more like the earlier seasons of the show and this one did. Even if certain things are not to my liking, it captured the magic of show. Now I just wonder if this leaves things open for the actors that have been let go to guest star next season?

14. iHeart says:

wow that was amazing, I actually really wished that was a series finale, because it was all wrapped up tightly for everyone, but since Emma survived, how are they going to explain all the absences. Still I wonder how the heck are they going to pull all that off with the reset button hit, unless this was all a story within a story within, well you know what I’m getting at.

• Butch says:

The absent people can be in Storybrooke. The new season will not be set in Storybrooke primarily. More important is to explain the broken couples since Emma and Belle will not be seen . Are Regina and Hook going to be ageless or under a curse where time stopped again. Rumple is immortal so he doesn’t age. Presumably we won’t find out that during the time jump Emma and Belle died.

• laurelnev says:

Cheers went on for how many seasons, and we never DID see Vera, did we? Same with Maris on Fraiser, and only hearing Mrs Wolowitz on Big Bang continues that trope. Belle was barely on screen the whole 6 years. Mulan, Dorothy, Lily, Red, etc. are all alive and well and living life on the back burner. Why should this be any different?

• ninergrl6 says:

Emma is the MAIN character. That’s why.

• laurelnev says:

In the 80ss or 90s, there was a show called Valerie, starring Valerie Harper. Valerie promptly had a disagreement with the producers, and they replaced her with Sandy Duncan, and it went on for years. A child actor named Jason Bateman got his start on that show. I’m sure there are other examples, but it’s late and I’m tired. I said on another OUAT post that Lana got her start on a show that they were SURE was going to tank when its star, Michael J Fox, left. Spin City went on for several years with Charlie Sheen, who was later successfully replaced on his vanity project by Ashton Kusher. It happens.

• SamofSherwood says:

Right?! well said!

• JR says:

I’m replying here because I don’t see a “reply” link on laurelnev’s comment. I’m pretty sure Jason Bateman was a bully to Ricky Schroder on “Silver Spoons” years before he was on Valerie/The Hogans/The Hogan Family/etc.

• iHeart says:

wait Laurel, she was on Spin City too? I didn’t know that, must have been the post MJF days

• Martina says:

My theorie about the absence is, that since adult Henry and Lucy somehow ended up in the enchanted forrest, the other people might be there too. And for some reason, Belle and Emma stay in the Enchanted Forrest whereas Hook and Rumpel return to the real world. That would perfectly explain why Emma and Belle are not there and also would not ruin the happy ending.

15. Claire says:

Best episode I’ve seen in a while, with enough closure that I can stop watching. Grateful to have enjoyed six great years of this amazing cast, but where they go, I’ll go.

16. Marlaina Williams says:

I loved the ending……as a true fan who never misses a show I can’t wait to see what the writer create next……I don’t want it to end. There are so many other stories to be told that’s not just about the Charmings…..let another family take center stage and Henry be more than a little kid……I am excited

17. Rebecca says:

They didn’t save the children from the Dark Realm :(

18. Butch says:

This worked very well if it had turned out to be the series finale including the final scene with adult Henry and his daughter. Having the story come full circle was just the way to go. Lots of mystery for the new season. Why were Henry and and his daughter in the Enchanted Forest in the beginning. Where did he disappear to at beginning. Who is the daughter’s mother? Why does Henry say he doesn’t have a daughter at the end.

19. Brennan says:

So does that mean they’re not gonna take away CaptainSwan’s happy ending? I’m betting Regina, Rumple and Hook are separated from the gang somehow. Because that finale didn’t explain ANYone’s departure!

20. Tanner says:

Of course we didn’t get to see Ruby and Dorothy’s story wrapped up and them living somewhere far away happily. Darn straight agenda. On that note, though, we also didn’t get to see Aurora, Phillip, Mulan, Ariel, Erik, Merida, or a whole host of other characters that I would have liked to catch up on rather than seeing an extra 15 seconds of laughing montage in Granny’s. >_> I didn’t realize how awkward it was until it slow-motioned across Zelena’s wide-mouthed laugh. Also, one other note please, a few things I would like to see covered in the upcoming season if it touches old topics: Lily’s father (tbh they could honestly use Lord Maliss as a new antagonist, except that Happily Ever After isn’t usually regarded as a sequel due to how unpopular it was and not actually being made by Disney), how Tigerlily went from Red Fairy to running around Neverland avoiding Lost Boys (where apparently all fallen fairies wind up eventually), where the living heck Sydney Glass went (unless I’ve forgotten that he died or something, S1/S2 were a long time ago), how Cruella and the Blind Witch are doing running The Underworld, etc etc.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Really? These are the loose ends that concern you?

• Scott says:

As far as Sidney goes, he last appeared in season 4

• Matthew Lawler says:

No actually he was in the musical episode very briefly remember the evil queen consulting with her magic mirror

• ninergrl6 says:

Since the majority of the cast isnt returning, I’d like to see those plots/characters you mentioned addressed too. Why not? They fill with all kinds of other irrelevant nonsense.

• iHeart says:

even if they did bring in Lord Maliss, they would have to bring in the Dwarfelles as well. and Sidney Glass didn’t die don’t forget he was brought back in the fourth season for awhile

21. Jason says:

That should be it. Why in the world does there need to be more? Let’s leave the happy ending alone and go out on a high note. My worst fear is seeing the show drag on for too long. Until it becomes a shell of it’s former self.

22. This was not a good finale. It wasn’t. The creators promised closure and to catch up on characters and instead they played the same tired formula from all 6 seasons in a 2 hour finale. There was no real closure or direction both of which were promised by the creators. I am getting tired of the smug undertone that the creators keep answering all these interviews with, acting like they have this amazing grand scheme of things planned out for it to only be the exact same storyline over and over with different characters. No real direction or closure for the wicked witch. No real explanation or point for Jasmine and Aladdin. Just sloppy and irritating.
    I think I’m calling it quits.

23. Matthew Lawler says:

So is it safe to assume then that Lucy’s mom is not Violet? And I do love how the in scene is a call back to the pilot of Henry showing up on Emmas door and announcing himself as her son I am still confused by the whole situation because clearly this appears to be another amnesia cursed situation since Henry did not recognize his daughter Lucy and since when we first saw a dog Henry and his daughter they were in the enchanted Forest and now she’s tracked him down to Seattle with her own story book which by the way why was the story book she was carrying on the bus certainly different than the one that she had one in the enchanted Forest

• chadcronin says:

Did you mean adult instead of a dog

• Butch says:

The creators mentioned in another article the mother is not Violet. They said something like the girl you went with in 9th grade is usually not the one you end up with.

• wgsecretary says:

Yes, it was a completely different looking book. It was more square shaped and white than the brownish red rectangular shaped one we’re used to seeing.

• Tee says:

My theory is the stuff in the fast forward takes place after she shows up on his doorstep (and it was Henry’s demise we saw in the forest–Neverland?– that prompted Tiger Lily to remind Lucy of her purpose).

The classic book as we know it has to be protected bc it’s the first edition of Henry’s story and the white one is a version she’s been given. Or, maybe the classic book is her story, or their sequel. Remember a few seasons back when they went to the New York library or whatever and there were a bunch of storybooks that looked like Henry’s? There are a bunch of them out there. We just need to know why the little girl is tasked with protecting that one.

24. Amanda says:

I really enjoyed it more than I thought. It really worked for a series finale, which for me as of now it is. I am curious about future Henry, his daughter and what happened to everyone but its not something I need to see. I’ll gage reaction and go from there. But does explain why we won’t see the ones leaving since its about 15/16 years later.

• ninergrl6 says:

But we will see Hook, Regina, and Rumple. It’d actually make more sense for them to do a TOTAL reset rather that half and half.

25. Butch says:

Nit Pick. Emma’s home before she came to Storybrooke was New York. Why did it suddenly become Boston even though her apartment looked like the one she shared with Henry in New York. Presumably this was done to explain how she could quickly return to Storybrooke when she decided to believe Henry. No explanation as to why Henry remembered everything. They should have provided a reason why the Black Fairy needed to have Henry remember.

• laurelnev says:

Nope…Emma”s Bailbondsperson home was in Boston. Emma was sent to NYC post curse, and Baelfire lived in NYC. They all seemed to use Bael’s apartment. But the place w/ the writing on the door and the cupcake was Boston.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

+125 TVLine Power User points (no cash value)

• cej says:

I want to know who was keeping up the rent payments all those years? 😄

• laurelnev says:

Must’ve been a condo…and the tax deed was probably sold off LONG ago. (Of course, I’ve always said the same about Bael’s NYC apartment.)

• SamofSherwood says:

I think Rumple kept up the rent on Neal’s apartment because he wanted something of Bae’s, I’m not sure how Regina had keys & I did think that was a bit rich when she gave Robin the keys in that arc.

• She lived in Boston when Henry looked for her in S1

• ninergrl6 says:

I, too, wondered why BF didn’t just get rid of EVERYONE with her curse, including Henry and Belle. And wouldn’t she have known that Rumple didn’t forget?

26. David says:

Could they be doing Narnia next season? If not I’m surprised by the name Lucy. That is the first thing I thought at the end of the show. I could totally be reading to much into it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

What a terrific question to email into the Matt’s Inside Line column.

• steven says:

Disney doesn’t own Narnia anymore. So probably not.

• Teighlor Davis says:

Disney doesn’t own Jekyll and Hyde or Captain Neemo and a number of other fictional characters that have appeared.
        The fact there was sooooo many Disney tie ins hampered the shoes ability to really create its own universe.
        I see Season 7 pulling away from Disney like characters.There’s plenty of other fairytales out there which to mine from.

• Cobra says:

That might be one of the only things to get me to come back for Season 7…

• abz says:

Oh I’d love to see how they’d tackle Narnia. And the Princess and the Frog too.

27. Rose M M Miller says:

Loved the “Beauty and the Beast” moment!

28. Caroline says:

Sorry, can someone explain to me what is mean by “the arrow landing next to the Evil Queen, with the ring/proposal attached”? Is Robin not dead anymore?

I haven’t watched OUAT religiously as of late, but I’ve been reading TVLine articles to keep me up to date. I was hoping that Regina’s ending included a significant other – after all she went through, she deserves that.

29. Linda W. says:

My family, loyal “Oncers” for these 6 years absolutely loved it! Thank you for doing this wonderful show the Justice it deserves. Just knowing that they all got hope-filled, happy endings was just awesome. You certainly didn’t disappoint with all the fabulous references to tie in all six seasons!

30. Steve C says:

Could the mother of Henry’s daughter Lucy be Violet?

31. Linda W. says:

My family, loyal “Oncers” for these 6 years absolutely loved it! Thank you for doing this wonderful show the Justice it deserves. Just knowing that they all got hope-filled, happy endings was just awesome. You certainly didn’t disappoint with all the fabulous references of six seasons tied in!

32. Abs says:

Loved the finale!!! And I’m on board for the next chapter!

But after reading that Jennifer Morrison left and Colon O’Donahue (I probably butchered that spelling-sorry!) is back… it makes me sad to have fought for Hook’s and Emma’s happy ending… without Emma?

33. Colleen says:

Why was the final diner scene set up like “The Last Supper”?

• Tiff says:

i notice that too

• AngelWasHere says:

Yeah I noticed it too. Rolled my eyes at it. No one sits at one side of the table at less they’re reacting that and it’s been done to death.

• Maze Maya says:

I think it was shot like that for filming purposes so you could see everyone at the table. Bridal party tables at weddings are set up the same way. Also..if you looked at it another way, Rumple was seated at the head of the table when they panned it another way notating that he was the “patriarch” of the show.

• ninergrl6 says:

I thought the same thing. It was their “last supper” with the cast as we know it?

• Ram510 says:

Because it was the last supper, as we known it

• sunkissedpeach386 says:

wasn’t lost on me either, but then again, throughout the show the whole “Savior” and “Dark One” theme struck me as a ‘parallel’ of sorts.

34. Matthew Lawler says:

Maybe Emma’s lack of participation in the new season will be addressed by saying that she finally remember her promise to Lilly and is out finding her father for her

And also why bother with the glimpses of the other realms if we weren’t even going to see any of the characters in them I mean we saw the forgetting moose rather than Elsa or Anna we didn’t see Dorothy and Ruby and awes the mad Hatter those were lost opportunities also what’s the new kind of a slap in the face to Regina that we saw the evil queen receiving a proposal from robin of Locksley while she remained without true love

• wgsecretary says:

I don’t think it was a smack in the face to Regina. That Robin wasn’t her Robin. She had already tried to make it work with him and it didn’t. It would also have been foolish to rush something to have her find happiness with someone else for the sake of the end of this chapter. Plus, she’ll be on next season. So, there’s still a chance for her.

35. Matthew Lawler says:

I was pleasantly surprised that they actually address the fact that the evil queen has been sent to around where she was wanted for the murder of the Charmings that always bugged me that how was she supposed to get a fresh start in a world where she was wanted for murder but seriously how are they going to address that everyone was supposed to have a happy beginning when two of the couples are going to be MIA next season Belle and Emma are both being written off so basically everything these past seasons has build up is been destroyed here we’re going to go with Rumpelstiltskin being the dark one again I love Hook I don’t want to see him go evil again out of grief over the loss of Emma

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I watched the finale twice. What evidence at all suggests Rumple becoming TDO again…?

• Matthew Lawler says:

Because his happy ending is being taken away because Baell is not a part of the next season so he loses his love and his son again in evitable he rumble always returns to the Darkside

• Saif says:

BElle won’t be around, what would he do? What’s the purpose of having him around?

• Kay S says:

Um, he never stopped being the Dark One? Just because Gideon became a baby, doesn’t mean that Rumple ceased to be the Dark One, which he has been since the 5A finale when he broke all previous “becoming Dark One” rules and somehow stole the darkness without a dagger or spawning at the vault…

• ninergrl6 says:

Lol nice explanation of the show breaking its own rules. It happens almost every episode!

• Kay S says:

Yes, since season 4B they’ve seemed to cease to care about their own canon. It’s the predominant reason I’ve grown disillusioned with the show. I still watched because I loved the characters and they occasionally get wonderful moments. But the show as a whole has gone downhill since the canon disregard became blatant and it (as well as half the cast missing) is why I wanted it to end to with season 6–before they destroy all canon ever. (sigh)

I mean, maybe they could surprise me but honestly, they’ve beaten most of the hope out of me. The best episode was one that A&E didn’t really write (Song in Your Heart) and 6×3. I did love the tied up endings but again, they ignored canon…

• SamofSherwood says:

Indeed, also; how did Killian & Chatmig climb the beanstalk? Last time it required Cora’s magic 🤔

• Kay S says:

Matthew – that was the one plot thread that I was impressed with (addressing the Wishworld situation with the EQ).

Of course at the same time they had a dragon on a beanstalk, people surviving from fall of rather high heights, the entirety of all story worlds fitting onto a tiny pedestal, and ignoring 2/3 of season 6 by having Belle and Rumple get back together. Rumple who was so abusive and controlling Belle and Gideon (in-utero) were nearly killed because he trapped her and she sent Gideon AWAY to just keep Rumple from him, like two weeks ago (and that’s pushing it) in show time? I loved the happy endings getting wrapped up but that did not fit at all.

And after Henry stayed 12 for 4 seasons, having him jump to an adult, the show casting another young lead for Lucy, just doesn’t bode well for the way this show deals with time passage. I mean they finally gave up in flashbacks giving dates because even they couldn’t make the math work…

Then again, if they didn’t jump time, they’d have three kids on the show under the age of 1… #somethingisinthewater

• Martina says:

They basically reassured they won’t touch their love story or Happy Ending. Just because Emma and Belle are not in the next season doesn’t automatically mean they are dead or separated. There are actually many ways to explain their absence without destroying the happy ending…. Like Emma and Belle staying behind in the EF because of whatever reason (the scenes with adult Henry suggest there is another thread to take care of in the EF). Or they stay in Storybrooke, which we won’t see that much next year anyway. Etc etc.
      Also Rumpel never quit beeing the Dark One (apart from the one occassion where Emma was the Dark One). Rumpel will always be the Dark One in that series.

36. Matthew Lawler says:

I’m going to hold out hope until there’s more Intel on season seven but if Sleepyhollow proved anything it’s that radically altering the DNA of the show and doing away with the original cast and setting does not bode well for the future of your program

37. Cobra says:

Should definitely have been the series finale. It ended exactly as it should have despite all of the ridiculous detours the show took along the way over six seasons. It shouldn’t continue from here.
    >>>
    Prediction: It has a strong viewership in the season premier, then begins bleeding viewers before being moved to a Friday death slot for the remainder of its final season.

38. Kepler says:

What a great finale, I thought. Really I think it would have worked better as a series finale (there were just unlimited callbacks to the beginning of the series). Regardless, I *loved* all the throwbacks, they were delightful, and I think this next chapter could be interesting. I’m really excited for next season.

39. Cassandra says:

That was a series finale for me, so I’m glad they wrapped up anyone I cared about.

I think it’s incredibly lazy writing if they’re just going to rehash Emma’s story with Henry, so I’m glad to be done.

40. David Hess says:

So basically Adam and Eddy are treating season 7 like Star Wars: The Force Awakens. But now Emma’s missing instead of Luke.

41. BrianL says:

LOVED the season finale twist ending. Would’ve also worked great for a series finale, but happy to be continuing the story.

So… grown-up Henry’s daughter is Lucy. Hmmm. where have I heard of a Lucy before? OUAT hasn’t been to Narnia yet.

42. Monika says:

It’s been years since I’ve seen the movie but did that scene with Emma doing pull ups remind anyone else of Terminator 2?

43. Xander says:

I don’t understand why Emma did not die and a whole bunch of bad things did not happen when Gideon struck her with the sword (or rather more precisely, why the writers can’t just more clearly come out with the reason, because we all have our imaginations to figure out what happened). I thought the Black Fairy said that only light could destroy light and that once Gideon killed Emma, light would be snuffed out. Like, I can induce a whole bunch of rationalizations or reasons why it didn’t work the way the Black Fairy said it would, but it is still irritating that there’s always these little Deus ex machina moments in the series that don’t really get explained. I don’t think it’s “sophisticated” or “cute” to have scenes leading to ambiguous interpretations – it’s just lazy writing.

• Dustin says:

Yes, I agree. It’s lazy writing. It doesn’t get explained because there is no explanation. The writers had no way out, so they are like…well…I guess the black fairy was wrong then? Disappointing lack of or no closure for several characters. If Violet is not Lucy’s mom, then why specifically show her waiting for Henry at the bus stop?

Great ending and closure for other characters. Unfortunately, this is it for me with the series and many others I’ve spoken to. Hopefully season 7 will not be a disappointment to those who watch it. The series dhould have ended and then a separate spin-off.

• AngelWasHere says:

Yeah I agree. That didn’t make sense to me either. I thought it was just me tho.

• abz says:

I thought it was because Rumple finally did the good and right thing. When Snow handed Henry the book at the end and the final sentence was revealed something along the lines “When Good and Evil decide to do the right thing……”
      Emma decided to sacrifice herself refusing to kill Gideon and Rumple (who was once destined to be a saviour, but was now The Dark One and the “Evil” one in this scenario) decided not to give into his darkness and decide not to listen to evil imp Rumple. So it basically balanced things out I think. I don’t know if that makes sense. The show has always seemed to make up its magical rules as it goes along. I’ve pretty much learned to just accept it after this many years.

• ninergrl6 says:

My. Thoughts. Exactly. Several times due the ep (hell, during the whole series) I thought to myself, “That doesn’t make sense” or “That’s inconsistent.” I enjoy the show so much more when I ignore how sloppy the writing is. Just *shrug* whatever.

• ninergrl6 says:

Also the BF’s “Just kidding, I still have Gideon’s heart” WTF?

44. Meeghan says:

This is probably a dumb idea but could you envision Emma, Belle, older since they aged Henry up mabey Rumple and Hooks significant others are older didn’t Hook say at one point he was over 200 years old and Rumple is immortal isn’t he? Regina was up there in age too. Just a wild guess. Loved the finale

45. 2Queens says:

I believe it’s the Wish Realm involved….the Wish realm Version of Henry had Lucy, but in the finale, the Wish realm version was killed…The book clearly shows Lucy the “original” Henry in the real world exists, so he is an alternate existence of her father, which is why Lucy went out to find him…..I think Lana will be the queen in the Wish realm , and don’t forget the Wish realm versions of Rumple and Hook exist as well.

• 2Queens says:

Oh, also think that the alternate Regina/Queen in the Wish realm somehow shows the book to explain things to the Wish realm version of Henry so he understands things, remember in that realm he appeared to have lost his grandparents and mother which he thought the evil queen killed…That is how he had the book I’m thinking and also so he’d stop chasing the alternate EQ lol
      Head is spinning lol

• margifish says:

Actually….to me that’s a perfect solution of keeping Rumple in the story without ruining his happy ending with Belle and Gideon in SB. AND it justifies Emilie de Ravin not being there…since wish Belle is dead (and Snow and charming from the wish realm are dead, and Emma’s not there, so it explains their absences too). The only quirk is that wish realm Hook was older and chunky XD

46. SunnyStar says:

LOL, pandering to the CS shippers, only because they have been angry all week that Jennifer Morrison is leaving the show and they are threatening with no watching the show anymore… so of course here comes the PR bs and pandering to keep them watching as they so need the ratings to continue.

No matter what they say, at least we won’t be getting any more CS on the show, perhaps season premiere… perhaps, but that’s it. So, YES! I’ll of course be watching S7, as long as Lana and Bobby are on board, of course I will be too.

47. Scribe says:

Just reading all the comments. Why would Emma have to be in the story next season if her tale is done? She’s either still living in Storybrooke or time has moved on differently so that she is no longer alive. Even if she isn’t in the show, there’s no reason why she can’t be in Storybrook because the new season doesn’t take place there. I’m pretty sure, we’re looking at a Narnia situation here in terms of the remaining characters.

• ninergrl6 says:

Because her devoted and loving husband will still be on the show. Unless they say Emma died, I don’t know why Hook and Emma would (willingly) be separated.

48. so let’s specualte now; Henry must be now what? 33 (Andrew’s realy age)? 28? They wouldn’t have another “teenager” pregnancy would they=

49. Dani says:

I’m confused…I thought this was supposed to explain the upcoming departures. But I don’t see why Hook would be there and not Emma and ditto for Rumple and Belle. It’s good ending I guess, but it doesn’t really make sense for explaining how these characters are going to be leaving the show. The only one that was tackled nicely was the Charmings

• April cumbie says:

I’m guessing what makes Henry not Know he has a daughter is because it’s a different reality. A very bad reality. One with no snow and charming, a bad rumble cause there’s no Belle to balance him, and a Killian with no Emma. Going to be very hard to face. No not know if I can get used to a world like that.

50. Tiff says:

Did you notices Emma shout out to Linda Hamilton Sarah O’Connor? When Emma was doing those pull-ups.