Exclusive

Lauren Graham Solves Gilmore Girls Revival Mystery: 'It Was [Spoiler]'

TV-MAIt’s not the identity of Rory’s baby daddy, but we finally have an answer to a burning Gilmore Girls revival question — and it may be of interest to the statisticians at Guinness World Records.

During an interview with yours truly back in November, Lauren Graham cryptically teased that “Fall” — the closing installment of Netflix’s four-part miniseries Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life — gave her and series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino the opportunity to do something they “always talked about.” Graham promised she would divulge to me what that something was “at some point.”

Well, “at some point” arrived this past Sunday at the Emmy-themed Contenders event thrown by TVLine’s sister site Deadline. Immediately following our on-stage Q&A (which also included Alexis Bledel), I lightly pressed Graham to finally resolve this particular cliffhanger. And she obliged.

“Given the theatrical nature of Amy’s language, I wanted to do the longest monologue that had ever been done on television,” she explained to me. “I wanted to test the boundaries of that and I wanted to see if that was something of interest to her.”

Turns out, it was.

As shooting was about to commence on the revival, Graham recalls, “Amy kept saying to me, ‘Remember? Remember when you asked me for a real monologue? Well, you’re getting one [in ‘Fall]’. And that was the speech I delivered [on the phone] to Emily about [Richard]. That’s what I was referring to.”

OK, now I’m going to concentrate on finding out who fathered Rory’s unborn baby. Give me a couple weeks.

1. Sarah says:

That monologue should win her an Emmy!

2. Van says:

That better be jess’s baby. I can’t stand logan

• Mariann Alicea says:

i totally agree. i thought i was the only one who despised Logan….sniveling, whiny Logan.

• Life says:

I don’t like Logan either, but I want it to be his child. That way, it can be more like the Christopher-Luke situation. Logan won’t take care of Rory’s child, but Jess will be.

• What makes you think Logan won’t look after his child. Legitimately, what in his character has convinced you that is accurate? Amy already bent over backwards to destroy Rory and Logan so I wouldn’t be surprised if she does it some more but there is no way in hell we can consider it believable to Logan in the series.

Jess does not get a gold star for being civil the few minutes he appears on screen in a decade. This character turnaround does not exist.

• Cheryl says:

Life: My sentiments exactly! It has to be Logan’s baby as he’s the only guy she slept with close enough to the final moments of the show. Wookie guy was months earlier. She hadn’t seen her boyfriend what’s-his-name in ages.

The last time Rory saw Logan he was off to marry his fiance because that was the “dynastic plan”. I would hope if Logan found out about the baby that he would step up financially, but I wouldn’t expect him to be there for Rory or the baby because of his messed up family obligations.

That leaves room for Jess. Jess, that is still clearly in love with Rory, as evidenced by that last glance he gave from her front porch.

Also, AS-P’s famous final four words were to bring the series full circle. Wouldn’t that be fitting for Logan in Christopher’s MIA father role and Jess in Luke’s substitute father role. Perfect!

• Logic of Color says:

Wookie baby!

3. Scuba Steve says:

Is this the same monologue you thought was better than Laurie Metcalf’s monologue on “Horace & Pete”? Yeah, that is just ridiculous.

4. Roberta Steigerwalt says:

I have been ask for more it so let happen

5. Dale Joyce Hercules says:

So, will Netflix bring it back???? I am not fond of Logan either. Jess is great, but he also has This is us……

6. Jim says:

I wasn’t aware there was any debate over the father of Rory’s baby? We all watched the show, right? It’s Logan. No opportunity for it to have been anyone else. It happened on the LADB outing, that was pretty telegraphed. And Logan is Rory’s Christopher and Jess is her Luke, the parallels there were also obviously intended. Subtext can be considered definitive too when it’s done that well, not everything needs to be overtly stated.

• Luke says:

It could have also been the guy dressed up as Chewbacca. ;-)

• Ingmar says:

Nop. That happened in spring. If that guy would be the father she would already have looked pregnant at the end of fall. It wouldn’t make any sense. It’s Logan’s kid and it seems kind of obvious imo.

• Agree. I thought the subtext was incredibly clear. And definitely clear enough to be definitive. But unless something is spelled out for audiences these days they often miss it. Or perhaps, in this case, people don’t want to believe the obvious conclusion because it doesn’t fit into what they want. Fair enough, I suppose.

• olgen says:

In this days of fandoms, theories and creativity, everything that isn’t clearly and overtly stated can and will be interpreted in every single ways you can imagine, and a few ones you can’t.

And even with what is stated clearly, some will play with the words and their meanings just so they can still make theories and discusse them.

It can be impressive and enjoyable when done in good humor and just for the sake of playing with one imagination, or incredibly frustrating when taken too seriously.

7. estelle says:

Amy Sherman-Palladino is my total heroine…brights and balls wrapped up in bright moments.. Here’s is one voice yelling out.. let your fabulous mind keep churning..seems there are MANY MANY out here who WANT more!! We are hungry for authentic writing for the true up characters you created …… Cheers!!

8. Tom_B says:

ok, that was one mystery. But, did they ever say the gender and name of Sookie and Jackson’s third child?

9. Elizabeth Banko says:

I believe it’s Logan’s baby because it would mirror the Lorelei/Christopher story. Little rich boy whose parents don’t approve of the girl. The two can’t make a go of it as a couple but can’t seem to quit each other completely. Going back and forth for years. If Rory really is repeating her mother’s history then this has to be the way it plays out.

10. Lola says:

Great job, Michael! Since you are uncovering all Gilmore misteries, would you be so kind and ask Amy what was the boyfriend’s story arc that she had to cut out from the revival due to budget issues? I remember she said something about that on an early interview.

11. Rosie says:

The Wookie is the Dad.

12. N says:

I didn’t like Logan

13. TV viewer says:

I don’t care who the father is so long as Jess gets to raise that baby with Rory!

14. Jon Spell says:

And who wrote the nasty letter to Emily! Has that been revealed?

15. Ray says:

Mr. Ausiello, I love your work.

But this is not really… anything? I’m not sure people were left needing clarity on this.

If you want to draw attention to the monologue, then for sure, do a piece about beautiful monologues delivered by TV characters. Rank them! Ask for viewers’ feedback on memorable monologues! Share clips of them and ask the actors who brought them to life what they remembered about them!

But this? This article is not really saying or telling us anything.

16. Ladygreyheart says:

Logan is the baby daddy. Amy has run out of ideas. It is time to let GG rest in peace.

17. Pedro says:

I thought her complaint was “Why is my character still hung up on an issue that happened years ago, but was solved on season 7. Oh, you are ignoring season 7 and the number of years that have passed. Oh, OK”.

18. How is it a question ? It seemed she was only intimate with Logan for a long time.

19. Vanessa West says:

Lauren Graham totally rocks as an actress!

20. Leonie1988 says:

Lauren should win SOMETHING for this! PLEASE WORLD! And I want her in Guinness World Records book!
    Also: I want Jess, but it’s probably Logan the j***. I liked him before, but if he cheats on his fiancée, who says he wouldn’t cheat on Rory too. Though to be honest… Jess is too good for Rory now.

21. Maxsmom says:

I don’t know if it’s my affection for Matt Czuchry that informs my affection for Logan but I would choose Logan over even Jess, who I loved.

22. Dove says:

I think Rory’s baby should be The Wookie’s ONLY if the Wookie turned out to be JESS!!!! Otherwise I would have to go with Logan!!! Having Rory have a baby with a father that we don’t know wiuld be very disappointing!!!!

23. Dove says:

I think that Rory’s baby should be the Wookie’s ONLY if tge Wookie turned out to be JESS…. Otherwise I think it should be Logan’s…. Rory having a baby with someone we dont know would be really disappointing!!!

24. Kathy says:

The monologue was great! I sincerely hope it’s NOT Jess’ baby because I always thought he was rude, selfish and so undeserving of Rory’s good nature. On the other hand, Logan is a cheating bastard! I’m rooting for the guy in the Chewbacca costume.

25. Appleigh says:

IT’S GONNA BE CHEWBACCA’s.

26. edenjiersen says:

Rory’s baby is totally gonna be Anonymnous Chewbacca’s.

27. Roberta Steigerwalt says:

I’m sorry that not going to be anymore Gilmore girls year in the life season quit teasing us in future