Ask Ausiello

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey's, Bones, Arrow, Grimm, Once, Bates Motel, Hawaii Five-0, Walking Dead and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Any intel on the Grey’s Anatomy finale? I haven’t heard a peep! —Megan
Ausiello: That’s about to change in 3, 2… “It’s pretty dramatic and pretty intense,” Kevin McKidd teased to TVLine at PaleyFest over the weekend. “It’s pretty dark and very good. Debbie [Allen]’s going to direct it, and it’s going to be amazing.” Owen’s portayer adds that unlike previous closers, Season 13’s climax won’t be centered around a catastrophic event. Nonetheless, it’s “a big episode,” McKidd promises. “It’s leading toward something pretty intense.”

Question: Please tell me you have some info about Sara Ramirez coming back to Grey’s Anatomy? I miss having Callie on my TV screen. —Tanja
Ausiello: I’m just going to leave this right here and quietly walk away.

Question: Is Grey’s Anatomy‘s Maggie ever going to get a clue about Nathan and Meredith? — Leigh

Ausiello: Oh, she’s going to get more than a clue. At PaleyFest, Kelly McCreary told TVLine that “the truth will come out… before the end of the season,” adding with a laugh, “People will have to be honest, because they no longer have a choice.” But the revelation that Mer is involved with Maggie’s crush won’t, as we’ve been led to imagine, sever the half sisters’ bond. “It doesn’t hurt Maggie in the way that the audience will expect it to,” McCreary said. “In a relationship that you’re committed to because you love each other unconditionally, the way that family does, challenges can sometimes make you stronger.”

Question: Have any scoop on Arrow‘s Olicity to tease? It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! —Stephanie
Ausiello: Though Oliver has bigger fish to fry for the foreseeable future, Stephen Amell had this to say about Oliver’s take on Felicity’s recent secret-keeping: “Look, he does trust her, but that doesn’t mean he has to agree with her.” That distinction will be put to the test in Episode 19, which is officially titled “Dangerous Liaisons” but “you could almost call it ‘Team Arrow vs. Team Felicity,'” Amell shared. Felicity and her Helix hackers and Oliver’s associates “are both after the same objective, but after it in different ways. And that pushes us into a real exploration of why Oliver and Felicity have been behaving the way that they’ve been behaving this year.”

Question: Is there anything being organized to celebrate the end of Bones? Like a big fan giveaway? Viewing parties? Something? Isn’t that done anymore? —Frieda
Ausiello: I can’t speak for anyone else, but next Tuesday at 9/8c I’m planning to tear into a fresh bag of quinoa chips, crack open an ice-cold diet Half and Half Snapple and then live-tweet the crap out of the series finale. That’s something, right? In related news, I’ve actually already laid eyes on the show’s swan song and I can tell you that longtime fans will be hard-pressed to find fault with the moving, funny, bittersweet, satisfying hour.

Question: Can you confirm that we will get a resolution to Bones‘ 447 mystery in next week’s finale? —Janet
Ausiello: I’m not sure if resolution is the right word. But the numerical humdinger absolutely figures into an extremely key moment.

Question: Is the only story for Supergirl‘s James this year the Guardian one? Is there a chance he gets a new love interest? —Daschell
Ausiello: Though he was guarded with details, showrunner Andrew Kreisberg told us at PaleyFest, “There’s a big James episode coming up that we’re starting to shoot this week. It’s, like, the biggest James story we’ve ever done. We’re excited, Mehcad [Brooks] is excited…. It’s going to be great.”

Question: Now that Supergirl‘s Kara has been fired, is there a chance we will get to see her doing freelance journalism? —Natasha
Ausiello: The human job sitch “is a struggle, for sure,” Melissa Benoist acknowledges, “but that’s her calling. So it would not be her story without more journalism.That’s what she wants to do the most with her life, so you’ll see more of that, for sure.” As EP Kreisberg shares, “Kara might not be out of a job as long as people think. You can’t keep a good writer down.”

Question: Do you have any scoop on Grimm‘s final episodes? —Jen
Ausiello:
Remember when the magic stick did weirder-than-usual things at the start of this season? Yeah, so does David Giuntoli, and he hints that the mystical piece of wood isn’t done yet. “The stick does, in the beginning, seem to be some kind of heroin stick,” he says, laughing. “And if you pay attention in the last episode, I think we’ll see that perhaps the stick is, and has been, rightfully seen as a problem.”

Question: Can you confirm if that is Danny Strong’s voice in the background in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, when Midge returns to the club to get her Pyrex dish? —Gemini
Ausiello: I believe you are correct, but I’m awaiting official confirmation. [UPDATE: Confirmed!] BTW, if you haven’t seen the pilot for AS-P’s sublime period comedy you need to remedy that ASAP. Watch it, rave about it and help get this thing a series order.

Question: Loved Thomas Lennon as Leo Getz on Lethal Weapon. Do you know if this will be a recurring role? Also, does this mean the unfortunate end of The Odd Couple? —Brandi
Ausiello:
How about the bad news first, Brandi? When we spoke to Lennon, he said he’d be “a little bit surprised” if his CBS comedy were to get renewed for a fourth season — but he also mentioned that he’d heard nothing official from the network.  Now for the good news: Lethal Weapon EP Matt Miller told us he’d “love” to have Lennon back as the talkative sidekick, and that he’d spoken to him about that possibility. “He’s definitely open to it, and creatively, I definitely want him to come back,” Miller said. “I need to figure out how all that is going to work, exactly, but yes: The plan certainly is to bring him back.”

Question: Got any Walking Dead scooplets? — Greg
Ausiello: You know it. Season 7’s penultimate episode (airing Sunday at 9/8c) finds not one but two of our regulars with guns pointed at their heads, and features a reunion that probably won’t go down in TWD history as being as touching as, say, Daryl and Carol’s.

Question: Where was Vera Farmiga in this week’s Bates Motel? Will she be in the next episode? — Carol
Ausiello: Yes, indeed. Not only is she in Monday’s installment — which serves as the conclusion of the Marion Crane arc — but she and Freddie Highmore share one of their most electrifying and intense scenes to date in an hour that alternately pays homage to and boldly tweaks the Alfred Hitchcock classic.

Question: Will Emma and Regina sing together in Once Upon a Time‘s musical episode? —SwanQueenCreative
Ausiello: Hmm, it depends on what you mean by “together.” What we can say is that Regina, in the form of the Evil Queen, has a rousing solo in which she at one point slides on her knees à la Freddie Mercury. “The Queen has moves,” Lana Parrilla said with a smile during Matt Mitovich’s visit to the set. “She’s a rock star.”

Question: Anything on Hawaii Five-0? Isn’t it time for something shocking like a big death or a big plot twist? —Elizabeth via #AskAusielloLive
Ausiello: As suggested within our scoop on Julie Benz’s return, the Season 7 finale will revisit the human trafficking storyline that launched on March 10. “That episode was the emotional component of that arc, and the finale is the high-energy action component,” showrunner Peter M. Lenkov tells us. And by the time all the smoke has cleared, “There are a lot of little cliffhangers regarding some of our characters.”

This AAnd That…
Elizabeth Perkins, Danny DeVito, Matt Damon and yours truly walk into a bar. That’s not the start of a joke. That really happened last night in Midtown Manhattan. Technically, we all walked in at different times and it wasn’t so much a bar as it was a speakeasy but my point is these are the kind of circles I’m traveling in these days.
♦ My colleague Dave Nemetz caught up with Mandy Moore at last week’s PaleyFest event for This Is Us, and the actress expressed hope that Kate’s season-ending vow to embrace her inner chanteuse means there’s a mother-daughter duet in her and co-star Chrissy Metz’ future. “I have my fingers crossed,” she said. “I can’t wait to do, like, a duet in prosthetics. That’s my dream this season: a karaoke duet with Chrissy. It’s a connection [the characters] have, and I hope that it’s something that can sort of bring them back together. I want to understand more of their disconnection, and what evolved in their relationship that they’re not as close as they once were.”
If you participated in this week’s #AskAusielloLive, I am grateful for your service. If you didn’t, have no fear: We uploaded the latest episode to YouTube and embedded it below.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman and Kim Roots)

1. Kia says:

*sorry for the caps*

I AM NOT READY FOR BONES TO END DAMMIT

2. Lns1 says:

About time Maggie found out about Meredith and Nathan (and can he please get his beard back lol)
    I love to see Callie back, i liked the character.
    And lol at the Regina and Emma questions. Like i mean its obvious and been very obvious from the start its never going to be the *together*!! (stating the obvious)

3. jp says:

Yvette Nicole Brown has a new series…I think that’s another nail in the Odd Couple Coffin

• dan says:

And I’ve spoken to somebody “on the inside” who also says Odd Couple is most likely done (I know the parent of somebody who works on the show).

4. Angela says:

Ahaha, I like your Manhattan story :D. Very cool.
    And ooooooh, that “Bates Motel” scoop. I am intrigued! Cannot wait to see that episode, then.

5. Elissa says:

I think Michael must live at Chipotle.

6. Liz says:

Thank you for the Olicity question/answer. I’ve been waiting forever for those two to start reconnecting or acting like themselves again. If a Team Arrow vs Team Felicity is what it takes, bring it!

7. jason says:

wow I wonder what the story about James on Supergirl could be. I have to think they’re almost done shooting this season.

• kath says:

I’ve been waiting all season for James to get a decent storyline instead of Mon El! Mon El! Mon El! Mon El has even replaced Alex as Kara’s Person.
      I just hope this storyline isn’t his swan song. Maybe he could start a relationship with Lena and Catco and LexCorp join forces.

8. Sophie says:

Of course the Evil Queen / Regina is a rock star. She’s been carrying the show for 6 years so far.

9. Jennifer says:

Sounds like the most we might see is Emma and Regina both in a group number, probably not even on screen at the same time. So much for thinking about who fans want to see sing together and how if you hope hard enough, maybe it will happen. Thank you so much for answering the question though.

10. Kayte CookWatts says:

Nathan is the most boring male character- I could care less if he gets with anyone. Kill him off ha! And no, I am not a disgruntled McDreamy fan, he’s just blah.

• grazelled says:

I stumbled on his old Shonda show, Off the Map on abc.com and his doc character there was much more fun and adventurous. He kind of was the McDreamy of that show but they made him too sad or angry or confused for Grey’s.

11. Good to hear James will be getting some more screen time on Supergirl. Was wondering why he hasn’t been seen that much this season. Really enjoy the Ask Ausiello Live! Thanks for all of the scoops.

12. Daniel says:

Call me unrealistic but I think Grey’s is due for a crazy event. Natural disaster, shooting…I don’t care, I just feel like it has been forever since the show has left me on the edge of my seat.

13. plebcinema says:

The EQ wishes she was a “rock star”. **eyeroll ** Thank god Emma won’t have to sing with her, in whatever form she comes in.

14. Iris says:

I don’t watch Supergirl, but it sounds as if that James guy is the new Laurel.

15. T.W.S.S. says:

I wouldn’t be shocked if that “biggest James story we’ve ever done” ends in his death.

16. deb saine says:

i truly love your humor!! i didn’t even have to click on the link you shared before quietly walking away in response to sara ramirez returning to grey’s any time soon!! :0)

17. Couch Mom says:

I knew it was coming, but the lab getting blown up in Bones was hard to see. Bones and House – a great night of TV.

• Sophia says:

I know! I guessed that might happen but to actually see it happen was so devastating. That scene had me tearing up

18. Isaburd says:

Grimm, Bates Motel, and Orphan Black all ending this season – I’m DISTRAUGHT. :(

19. kath says:

Do you think we’ll finally find out why Oliver and Felicity have been behaving like pod people all season? Or is that just bad writing?

On Supergirl, why does Kara need a job? She has Mon El now. [/sarcasm]

20. James says:

Are they seriously not going to explain “447” on Bones? For real? The new show runners declined to use Hart Hanson’s idea and substituted their own, yet we don’t get a real resolution to this long-running mystery? Michael Peterson and Jon Collier are, without a doubt, the worst show runners in the history of TV. Avoid their future projects at all costs.

• kmw says:

I disagree the meaning of that number in the way it was intended is useless because it wont be coming from Hart Hanson or Stephen Nathan. Would you rather Peterson and Collier twist it in a totally different way? I don’t. I bet however its message comes out will be far better than the alternative. Also don’t blame Peterson or Collier for finale HH is the one who bowed out of writing it. Except for a couple of things here and there Bones has been pretty good under them( and notice I said except a couple of things, no show runner is going to please everyone all the time) I am going to miss all of them

• Estella says:

I think HH bowed out because he didn’t agree with MP/JC on the finale, or perhaps he just didn’t see any way to salvage the mess they created. S12 has been a disaster from start to finish. HH said he would never have a circus “cast of thousands” for the finale, which is what we got. He also said that the finale should service the two leads who are the center of the show, which is exactly what we have not gotten. Booth has been practically the forgotten man this season…only there to service other storylines (Aubrey, Zach, Brennan). It’s a disaster.

• kmw says:

What are you talking about? This last story is about Booth’s past and how it caught up to him. Season 12 hasn’t been a disaster and as far as the guest list? They aren’t going to take up the bulk of the show. Booth and Brennan had loads more scenes this season than the last two and while again I don’t agree with all of their choices it has still worked just fine. And as far as HH backing out? He has said on the record it isn’t what he would have done BUT he agreed that it was great. It is far more likely that he had issues with what he wanted to do and FOX wouldn’t allow him to do and the fact that he has also stated it is even hard for him to set foot on the set anymore and it has nothing to do with the show runners, it just isn’t his show anymore. And a friendly reminder this show isn’t called ‘ Booth” It is called Bones its main story HAS ALWAYS been centered on her Booth and Brennan as an actual couple is a by product of the actual story. just because David was hired first doesn’t make it his show. And Booth has had a fair amount of stories that have come his way in the past few years so to say he isn’t being serviced isn’t right at all. And have you seen the finale? No you haven’t, you have seen the cast list and decided they are making up the bulk of the show when that is very likely not true. Just as I overreacted to Sully you are overreacting to their finale. Here’s my guess is that Booth will be with Brennan at the hospital in the first half( where he is likely walking down memory lane with his hurt wife). Second half Booth and Brennan will be back on the case and TOGETHER in danger( like the show runners have stated) and the squints and Aubry and Caroline will help them. Go back and watch season 10 THAT was a disaster

21. Tahina says:

I ‘d love to see Callie back on Grey’s but not Sara Ramirez with her “new” look. ..and me also will leave it there…

22. lena says:

i’d like leo to be back on lethal weapon, but i’d more than adore hilarie burton to come back as a recurring, or even a regular next season, karen has been a gem and she has great presence on screen

23. kmw says:

I don’t even care about the 447 meaning anymore( even if the reveal is meaningful) Stephen Nathan said it would be revealed long ago so whatever is used for here isn’t the real meaning. However man I am I going to be very sad come next Wed morning( or should I say mourning). I am sure it will be terrific since most of this season has been. I know its a possibility David will be back on screen soon I hope Emily and the rest of them have good things coming for them as well. Its almost time to say goodbye to this little show that could

• kmw says:

I meant most of the season has been good

• Sophia says:

I too will miss this show too much. I don’t really need the 447 mystery solved. And I seriously do not get the hate for this season at all. Except perhaps one episode the remaining were pretty good with the penultimate one being stellar in my opinion. Way to go, Bones!

• kmw says:

Yes except the 10th episode and the lack of romance between Booth and Brennan everything has actually been superb. Tuesday’s episode was fantastic leading into a great finale I am sure. Booth trying to rescue his wife, both going after the killer together, and what will have to be a weeper of a final scene between David and Emily. So sad to see the lab blown up and it makes me sad that we wont get to see it rebuilt. I know I said that once Bones was done it should stay done but a one off Christmas movie or something would be cool. A very nice run indeed for Bones!!!

24. Victoria says:

Is it just me? But I never got the sense that Rebecca and Kate in This Is Us were very close at all. Maybe they become closer after Jack’s death. It seems all the cute childhood scenes were her and Jack and the ones related to her weight were with her Mom which is probably more realistic but still.

25. kmw says:

When I responded to the Bones question didn’t see the actual question. What a laugh riot that FOX would do anything for the fans. Apparently that 22 minute retrospective is all the fans are going to get . TV Guide decided that an umpteenth re telling of a JFK story was more important to put on their cover this week than a 12 year old shows( and FOX’S longest running drama) goodbye. Forget about anything anywhere else( Bones sure isn’t getting the treatment The Vampire Diaries got now is it?) You have to dig the internet to find anything respectful to this little show that survived too many time slot changes to count( according to FOX it was 23) Maybe their wrap parties will be shown on the DVD extras, but looking for anything else? Good luck with that

26. DEBBIE TYLER says:

I love bones wish they wouldn’t take it off

27. Lisa says:

I am ready to hear some info on Better Call Saul!! Anything???

28. SunnyStar says:

Of course they are never gonna spoil if Regina and Emma will be singing together, because the immature people from some canon ships would immediately say “SKIPPING THIS EPISODE” “WHY ARE THEY SINGING TOGETHER, THEY ARE NOT CANON” etc, like we don’t already know their pathetic and truly immature behavior… so, yeah, they would never spoil that.

29. sharon Miller says:

Do you have any information on Sara Rameriz returning to Grey’s for season 14? I miss her smiling face in this program!