The Vampire Diaries Recap

Vampire Diaries Recap: Brat Out of Hell

Proving that crossovers on The CW aren’t limited to the DC Universe, Chris Wood returned to The Vampire Diaries on Friday, reprising the fan-favorite role of Mon-El. I mean Jake. I mean… that guy Carrie dated? Oh, that’s right — it was Kai!

(Look, Chris Wood’s been on a ton of CW shows, OK? They literally share initials.)

And despite everything ol’ Malachai has been through since we last saw him — screaming, burning and enduring unspeakable tortures, mostly — Kai’s pretty much the same sassy garbage monster we met back in 1994. In fact, it’s possible he’s become even sassier and more garbage-like over the years.

Case in point: He promised to wake up Elena “Sleepyhead” Gilbert in exchange for Damon’s help killing Cade, and it looked like he was actually going to make good on that arrangement… until he decided he’d rather kill Damon, steal his powers and make off with his girl. (I expect @CobraKai1972’s mentions to be flooded with angry tweets tonight.)

Meanwhile… It turns out that when Stefan became human, all of the people he compelled over the years regained their memories — including Dorian, whose parents Stefan apparently devoured during his Klaus-induced Ripper spree seven years ago. (Loved that Mikaelson shout-out, by the way!) As you can imagine, Dorian was pretty pissed. Like, I’m-going-to-shoot-you-and-bury-you-in-a-shallow-grave pissed.

While Stefan was fighting for his (now much shorter) life, Caroline was forced to play Mrs. Clean®, taking a metaphorical Magic Eraser to all of her fiancé’s past mistakes. One particular victim — a police offer who lost his job, family and sobriety as a result of Stefan compelling him to leave his post — really struck a chord with me. (Guys, these freakin’ vampires have ruined so many lives over the course of this series. Throw ’em all on a pile in the middle of the road and light it up, I say! Matt and Bonnie can toss the match.)

Speaking of Bonnie, she wisely vowed to steer clear of Kai the moment she learned of his return, though her coffee date with Cade probably put her in even more danger. Sure, their little psychic lesson allowed her to communicate with Enzo (in a ridiculous-sounding dimension I dare not try to wrap my head around), but it also allowed him into her headspace… and that’s never great.

Of course, if Bonnie needs more magic, she can probably just borrow some from Caroline and Alaric’s twins. Ever since Kai returned, their powers have been firing on all cylinders, which doesn’t sound like a bad thing… until one twin tries to light the other one on fire. (Yup, that happened.)

(Side thought about this weird little family: Between Caroline and Stefan’s pseudo breakup at the hospital, and her visible joy around Alaric and the girls, does anyone else think we could be in for a #CarolaricJuneWedding?)

OK, your turn: Gather your thoughts on this week’s episode, plus your hopes for — gasp! — the final three, then drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Gena says:

Andy take that hashtag back! That’s super gross :). This isn’t PLL! Looks like both Stefan and Caroline are starting to come to some harsh realities about their relationship! They just don’t fundamentally work. Also, how is it that Caroline is literally the only immortal who has never leave MF? Sweetie, go get you some culture after this breakup, you need it!

2. Kali says:

First step, Klaus mention. Second step, Klaroline mention, Third step? KLAUS APPEAREANCE!! Come on TVD, don’t let us down!

3. KLS says:

I`m not sure how I feel about this episode. On the one hand, I enjoyed it more than last week`s episode, but on the other hand, I feel like I have such an emotional disconnect from these final episodes, mainly because they keep giving us so many spoilers. Not once did I actually believe Stefan was going to die, because I saw the preview for the final episode and he was there. And not once did I believe there was a chance Kai would actually bring Elena back, for the exact same reason as above, and also because it`s been beaten over our heads that she`s returning in the finale. There is no suspense. And Nina`s name wasn`t listed in the guest stars for the episode, so…
    Some stray thoughts:
    1. Why is Alaric so annoying? Is it just me, or do other people get tired of him too?
    2. The thing with Dorian and all the people remembering Stefan`s crimes was so random and weird. Technically, shouldn`t people all over the world be remembering him? People that aren`t able to be memory wiped by Caroline? Shouldn`t their be some kind of APB out for his arrest?
    3. For some reason throughout this episode I kept getting flashbacks back to the prison world/Other Side storylines.
    4. Why didn`t Caroline pick Stefan up and whoosh him to a hospital as soon as she got there? It seems like unless it involves giving someone blood, these people forget they are vampires. Heck, there are even times that I forget. It would be nice to see a blood bag every once and a while.
    5. Stefan putting his “fate” in Dorian`s hands was the most passive-aggressive thing ever. He knows there`s a more than 50 percent chance that Dorian will let him go. If he really wanted to “atone for his mistakes” he would turn himself in and serve a life sentence. I`m not sure why I haven`t realized this before, maybe because I was young, but Stefan is selfish and somewhat self-absorbed. Everything he does is to make himself look better. Even the Ripper stuff. Whether it`s being the best vampire or being the best saint, he has this thing where he has to always be the shining example. He wants acknowledgement but he hides it under the guise of selflessness.
    6. I`m glad Bonnie got to be with Enzo–kind of. Another flashback to the Anchor storyline. I figure she`ll either find a way to bring him back, or find a way to go over there with him.
    7. I`m glad there was a little more acknowledgement of Stefan`s humanness. I hope Caroline doesn`t try to get with Ric again. I think this episode really showed her realizing that you can`t always be perfect.
    8. So all of Stefan`s victims got their memories back, but none of Katherine`s did when she turned?
    9. Maybe the twins can give their powers to Bonnie?

Even though stuff happened in this episode, I feel like nothing really “happened.” I don`t know. I`m excited for next week because Kai is still here, but I know enough not to get my hopes up.

• Stacey says:

I completely agree with you, and I was thinking the same things. The only thing with Katherine is that most people she tangled with wound up dead, so maybe that’s why there wasn’t any back splash. Also, she was all around the world, so we have no way of knowing for sure, if someone remembered something..

• Gift says:

KLS re u done talking about Stefan like that? He is not selfish the way u put it. Everybody is, at some point or with something. He has done alot of selfless deeds nd he isn’t that horrible. I agree with everything u said except the ones u said about Stefan. This episode was interesting, fun nd I really didn’t know what to expect next. And I think when it involves Elena, Damon forget everything else or everyone’s feelings. How did he not worry about his brother’s where about? Even had to involve Bonnie who is going through Alot. He is the selfish one.

• KLS says:

I agree Damon is also selfish, but the thing is, everyone knows and accepts that already. No one wants to acknowledge Stefan`s wrongdoings. It`s okay if we disagree, that`s what makes comments so fun. We all have different ways of looking at things.

• Bob says:

You stated that Nina is not listed as a guest, she is if you look at the Vampire Diaries imdb listing for the finale episode you will see all of the guests appearing as a GUEST: here is the list.

David Anders … John Gilbert
      Sara Canning …Jenna Sommers
      Nina Dobrev ….Elena Gilbert
      Steven R. McQueen… Jeremy Gilbert
      Kayla Ewell …Vicki Donovan
      Michael Trevino… Tyler Lockwood
      Edgar Roche… Shaman – Elder

4. jerrired says:

So glad Kai will at least live on for one more episode to create havoc. I greedily want him to stay at least until the final episode but that’s def not happening. Hopefully we do see some sort of Bonnie and Kai interaction next week. Clearly the twins are being affected by Kai’s presence, so I have a feeling they’ll be the ones to take him down. The Alaric and Caroline thing was weird, not sure why they would go back down that route…but seems like it’s about to happen. But ultimately, when The Originals ends as well, they’ll show her with Klaus.Also, now I have a feeling Bonnie and Stefan will both die but all live in Bonnie’s new dimension, so fans of them (aka me), won’t be too mad when they die and Damon and Elena get to live. Bonnie will get her happy ending with Enzo, just in the afterlife, and Stefan won’t get tortured for his sins, he’ll finally get to atone.

• Stacey says:

I could see her still being the twins’ Mom, but not marrying Alaric, that really creeps me out. Hope they can figure out a way to help the girls. But, since it happened 3 days ago, wouldn’t coincide with Stefan turning human and his deal with Cade.

• jerrired says:

I’m sure it’s 100 percent related to Kai entering Mystic Falls 3 days ago as well. He’s the leader of the Gemini coven, so guess it’s resparking their destiny to merge at 21.

• Stacey says:

I messed up the timeline, I thought he was only out a day, but you’re right it has been 3. That makes more sense about the twins now.

5. Maria says:

I personally think Caroline was just happy to see the girls since she just got dumped and she wasn’t able to see them since Christmas .

6. Liz says:

I enjoyed tonight’s episode. There were glaring oversight on some parts but this is TVD, when do they not have one. Kai was fun, even if he is a psychopath. The twins sl is a little annoying. The writers took Bonnie’s magic so they would rely on it as they did previously, but now it’s the twins with the magic powers. What was the point of taking it away from Bonnie then? The woe is me Stefan sl is getting on my nerves. Yes he has a conscious, and in earlier seasons it was refreshing to watch. Now I just want him to shut up. Yes he did bad things and sometimes there is no atoning for that. He has to move on and stop whining. The Steroline drama can not end soon enough for me. Stefan is human, Caroline is not. Love is strong but that is a heavy burden and they don’t seem like they are ever on the same page at the same time.

7. Lucy says:

I’ve gone back to this show after a few years away and because it’s the last season and maybe it’s because I’m more grown up but I’ve begun to see how problematic the show has become – for example, Caroline being determined to clean up Stefan’s mess, but I just wanted Caroline to walk away, prioritise herself and the kids.

In the scenes where she compels the victims of Stefan to forget, it felt like it was coming from a selfish place, so Stefan doesn’t get punished for what he did and so Caroline can get her wedding – would have been nice if it felt more about alleviating the pain from the victims.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when Stefan killed Dorian’s family, I’m pretty sure this was when he had his humanity on but was in ripper mode – I remember in S3 that he turned his humanity off once in Mystic Falls in episode when Klaus discovers how to successfully create Hybrids in the gym.

It feels like this season that they have been working so hard on Damon’s redemption and then they made Stefan do these unforgivable things but because it’s the last season there is not enough time for a redemption are. At this point, I think the brothers should die, as Paul and Ian said – all vampires have done bad things but I’ve reached the point where they can’t get away with it, they don’t deserve a happy ending (if you asked me this last year, I would have said yes/maybe). – I may still be mad about Tyler and Enzo.

Kai is brilliant as usual, once again Chris Wood revelled in playing Kai. Kai was the highlight of S6 and has been the only villain after Klaus to possibly rival him – I love Klaus more, but Kai is just bad and unhinged – there is no redemption arc for him unlike Klaus. Also, I’m kind of glad he took Elena’s coffin – it means more Kai and it is what Kai would do – sometimes they bring a great character back and the character isn’t done justice or they are only there as an easy way to progress the story.

I’m happy that Bon Bon created her own prison world, I only wish that this came earlier in the season – it had the potential to be a kickass storyline but we only have 3 episodes left. I’ve been disappointed at how underused she has been especially as we know the actress is done with the role. They have kept her separate and barely anyone has supported her, prioritising others before her.

At this point Bonnie, Elena and Caroline need to leave Mystic Falls and go on a road trip together. Matt needs to leave Mystic Falls and find a nice girl – maybe join the road trip. Then Caroline needs to be the Twins.

At this point, I’m surprised at how much Stefan and Damon have got away with and is validated that I just need a Defan endgame.

• Kayla says:

You are correct about Caroline’s motivations behind compelling Stefan’s victims to forget. There are so many things that are done badly with this show but the most glaring one is how tone deaf the writers are to the dialog they write. Remember when they had Caroline turn off her humanity after her mother died? Instead of losing it and turning it off, which would have been more emotionally impactful, they had her plan it like she was organizing a party. She knew she would kill lots of people but whatever, right? Something that goes against her character. There is no thought to who these characters are or how they would act. They come up with a story and retcon to try and make it fit.

• Kim says:

That’s always been the case Kayla–they are too focused on plot and ideas and then try to make things work; sometimes they do, other times they don’t. That’s why I bowed out of watching for a few years. I’ve learned not to take this show too seriously, because it’s often not grounded in reality. I just have to enjoy the ride when it’s good.

• Kim says:

Great comments on here this time. Lucy you are right that the show has lost touch with reality. Ironically, I think that’s what the writers are trying to remind us of at this point in the series, but it’s too late in the game to remind us that the heroes are actually villains. There’s too many holes to plug up at this point. From reading your comment “prison world” though–I think you may have figured out how the show ends!

8. Caitlin says:

So it’s pretty obvious how this show will end. Elena will be brought back just long enough to see Damon die/go to hell. After Damon’s death we will see some sort of flash forward of human Elena and human Stefan with a bunch of kids.

I think I’m going to throw up.

• Kepler says:

LOL Uh no

• Ally says:

Yeah, reverse Stefan and Damon’s names and you’d be right. Stefan will give the cure to Damon so he can get his “HEA” with Elena and Elena will wake up just in time to say goodbye to Stefan before he dies of organ failure/advanced deterioration like Katherine should’ve. My only hope is that when Stefan’s dies, he’ll get to pass on to the show’s version of “heaven” like Lexi and Grams did. Stefan’s death is going to suck no matter what but it would suck less if he got to reunite with Lexi in “heaven” or if he ended up in Bonnie’s dimension and Bonnie could somehow bring Lexi there.

9. Sharon says:

This episode was just bad filler.

10. Clalaric was the worst thing to ever happen to this show.

11. Gift says:

jerrired I certainly don’t like that. Stefan should not die at all. if Damon deserve an happy ending so does Stefan! They should better find a way to make that happen. Even Bonnie’s happiness or ever after doesn’t only have to be with Enzo. sure she loves him but she can still move on nd fine happiness somewhere else nd with someone else. What makes Damon nd Elena so deserving of happy ending nd the others don’t?

• Stacey says:

There are only 3 episodes left. Her endgame is definitely Enzo. Anyone else would make no sense. Stefan and Damon are equally bad, they both deserve to die. And the only people who actually deserve a happy ending are Bonnie and Matt, lbr!

12. Gift says:

kai is truly a Brat Out Of Hell!

13. QueenB says:

I’ve never been a fan. I bought the first season on DVD because it was on sale and it was enjoyable and hadn’t actually watched an episode until Katherine died and have only watched an episode here and there until this season but I’ve noticed a trend all CW shows seem to outlive their welcome The WB had plenty of series that lasted 5 (Angel) 7 (Buffy, ok the last two seasons were on UPN) or 8 (Charmed) and Gilmore Girls but since the merger every show has two or three excellent seasons and then the quality drops drastically Gossip Girl?and yet their able to redeem themselves with the series finale or the last three episode of the series which has me worried about TO the first two season were great the third was good so Im hoping the fourth season is excellent and that it is renewed for a shortened final season to properly end the series

14. Jane says:

They really pushing this “brothers did too much damage” idea on us, so I think smth sad will happen to the Salvatores at the end. Stefan broke up with Caroline, so suddenly there is time for kids in her life. Writers just didn’t know how to balance her being a mum and Stefan’s girlfriend.

15. Dominique says:

great episode, not as great as the last two, but it certainly has some quality. chris wood is just downright spectacular as kai, who at one moment has you rolling your eyes and smiling when he tries to climb out of damon’s car, and then have you widen your eyes when he pulls a (not entirely unexpected) stunt and takes elena after siphoning from damon.
    i thought that scene between caroline and alaric was a little off, like they were thrying to say more with that scene than just two friends who have kids together. i wouldn’t be surprised if this show ended with them together again, which btw i’m totally okay with. caroline deserves someone who puts her first, and stefan clearly isn’t that guy, as he showed again in this episode.
    i find it hard to believe the show would wrap up everything in a nice little bow, they can’t all have their expected happy endings.

16. Sandra says:

So, Damon and Elena will be happy while Stefan is dead. JUST WOW. And in these last few episodos writers gave their best to make Stefan seem like a monster as if we haven’t watched previous seasons. They are killing Stefan. I cannot believe. This show reached its bottom.

• Stacey says:

They have been dragging him since season 6. I liked him up to then, but once it hit that season and beyond, they really ruined him. I can’t wait to be rid of him!

• Ella says:

Honestly? Me too. Stefan was never my fave but I liked him the best out of the main triangle. Gluing him and Caroline together for the last few seasons has pretty much made him intolerable to me now. They’ve practically had no other SL other than the super repetitive ups and downs in their relationship. Plus, I kinda think it makes sense. Stefan was the “vampire” writing the diaries so it ending with his death works out.

• Ally says:

-Yeah it’s…a very biased ending, to say the least. Stefan’s done a lot of awful things in his life, but up until the writers started destroying his character, he was seeking redemption/atonement for those horrible acts and trying to be better. And he wasn’t doing it to be worthy of Elena or Caroline or anyone else. He was doing it because HE wanted to be better. Because HE wanted to atone for his many misdeeds.
      -Now that Stefan is free of the Ripper/his bloodlust, there’s no reason he cannot find redemption as a human. The bloodlust was what kept holding him back because he kept slipping back into Ripper mode and that’s no longer a problem.
      -Alas, Stefan will now sacrifice himself so Damon can be with Elena and she’ll wake up just in time to say goodbye to him before he dies. The only possible ray of hope there is that maybe Stefan will get to pass on to wherever Lexi is and he can finally be with his best friend again.
      -Honestly, Stefan and Damon’s fates should be the same. If one gets a redemption/HEA, so should the other. If Stefan dies, so should Damon. They’ve both done horrible, unforgivable things so it’s ridiculous to make one of them die while the other gets everything he wants.
      -While I liked seeing Stefan held accountable by Dorian for what he did to Dorian’s family, I couldn’t help but wonder when Damon would have to face the same from one of his victims. (The answer is never, of course, since all his friends already gave him a pass for killing Tyler and Matt was even willing to forgive him for Vicki.)

17. Kelly says:

These last few episodes are irritating me. I don’t see a way for them to adequately wrap everything up in three episodes at this point. If they wanted to try to kill Stefan every episode and split up Steroline again, then they should have done a full season order. Every episode just keeps getting worse for our characters. They claim that we are going to be happy at the end but I don’t see that happening at this point. I’m tired of dealing with Cade. I wouldn’t care if we had a full season order but they are running out of time. They are going to have to rush every story line to try and fit it together with any sort of reasonable resolution. It is insulting to the characters to try to have the audience think Caroline will want to marry Stefan in two episodes after the last two episodes and it appears the next episode is again Stefan risking his life. It also appears that Stefan will have to die to give Damon his human life with Elena. It is interesting to read how sure both sides are as to whether Damon or Stefan are going to die. Each side is adamant about their belief at this point. I’m honestly not going to be happy with either scenario as a death of one of the brothers screws over Elena or Caroline. Don’t even get me started on Bonnie and Enzo. If anyone deserves a little happiness it is poor Bonnie. It is terrible to invest yourself in these characters over this many seasons to end up with a crappy ending. Sorry for my rant. I don’t have anyone I know personally that still watches this show to vent my frustrations at.

18. cej says:

#CarolaricJuneWedding I thought the same.Other than that, I have no idea how the series is going to end. Maybe they can all live out the rest of their days in Bonnie’s little pretend world.

19. J says:

I have always thought the show was at its best when focusing on the relationship of Damon and Stefan. I have been pretty annoyed on their lack of interaction these past couple episodes and would have liked to see Damon be there to help Stefan when he was shot. Now that they finally both have their humanity back they have hardly even integrated. The best shows of this series in my opinion have been between the two of them, whether they are bickering sarcastically, saving each other or showing how much they care, these 2 are the heart of the show. I hope the last 3 episodes really focuses on that and we get to see them

20. J says:

I am a little annoyed that the last couple episodes have not focused on Damon and Stefan. Since they both got their humanity back they have hardly even interacted. I would have liked to see Damon be there to save Stefan after being shot. He didn’t even ask Bonnie how it went with Stefan and had no idea he was missing or shot! For me the relationship between the 2 of them has always been the heart of the show. Whether they are bickering, saving each other, or showing that they do care that is what makes for a great episode. All of the best episodes have been defan centric. Hopefully these last few episodes we will get to see more interaction between them and how Damon will be with Stefan now that he is a mere frail human that can’t be saved from every little thing with vampire blood. I am happy to see they will be working together in the next episode at least. My theory from the promo pics is that Damon tries to tell Stefan that it is too dangerous for him to come kill Cade and that is why we see what looks like Stefan vervaining Damon in one still. The other with Damon passed out is probably right when Cade is about to kill vulnerable Stefan and Damon is unable to protect him, which would be why Damon didn’t want him to go in the first place. Of course Damon will wake up just in time to protect him and that’s probably how that whole episode will go. Which will be great cause they will be interacting!! Thoughts??

21. J says:

Sorry for posting 2 pretty similar posts, I didn’t realize the first one posted.

22. Christine Peel says:

If you all remember when Bonnie gave Stephan the cure, Elanas casket was there. So who did Kai take back with him!

23. GG says:

IF BONNIE HAD ELENAS COFFIN WITH HER WHOSE COFFIN DID KAI TAKE? Jo’s…And he DOESN’T KNOW

• Jane says:

Damon found out where Elena is 2 eps ago when Stefan was going to kill Elena but Bonnie used the cure on him. So Damon took Kai to Elena’s coffin thinking Kai will wake her up

• Christine says:

Bonnie moved it. When Stephan ripped out Enzo heart remember she said she moved it. That’s where she had to get the cure and she gave it to Stephan.

• Jane says:

Yes she did and Stefan found out new location (thanks to Cade). When Stefan was on his way to kill Elena, Damon called him and Stefan mentioned that Bonnie moved Elena. So since that day Damon knew Elena’s coffin was in a different place. Hence, Damon took Kai to Elena’s coffin

24. LizLem says:

I got the vibe that Caroline could definitely settle for Alaric. Hey, why not? An exciting life is overrated, exp if it centers on a guy who doesn’t seem to be that into you.

Gonna be honest, they can write it as ridiculous as they want if it means Bonnie and Enzo can keep up the love pledges and make out sessions and end up in the same dimension with matching mortality. We abandoned logic long ago, so I’m not going to wish it on my faves against their interest. lol

25. Lauren says:

Where can I watch this episode online please?

26. Faith says:

So, does anyone think that Elena and Stefan should be end game? I mean the show starts with their epic love story and how they’re destined to be togethef, they get you hooked on that. I get Elena wanted to try her feelings with Damon but they just can’t be end game. Come on, just remember all the first couple of seasons and how Elena and Stefan were beautiful together and still would be. And to let Stefan end up alone or worse with Carolina is a failing ending (in my opinion)