Grey's Anatomy

New Grey's Anatomy 'Villain' Talks Minnick's Weak 'Hookup Skills' and Fearing 'Crazy' Calzona Fans

Marika Dominczyk knew she was walking into a hornet’s nest when she took on the role of Grey’s Anatomy‘s feather-ruffling new surgical consultant Eliza Minnick, whose actions in last week’s episode led to the suspension of Meredith (Ellen Pompeo). And making matters more incendiary, she’s maybe-possibly looking to fill a certain romantic void in Arizona’s (Jessica Capshaw) life.

“‘Calzona’ fans are crazy,” Dominczyk tells TVLine with a laugh, referring to the still-zealous acolytes of Arizona and her ex, Callie (former cast member Sara Ramirez). “I really appreciate their passion. I think it’s amazing. The show’s been on the air for 13 years and has an incredible fan base. And I’m so happy to be a part of it, even if it’s on the [negative] receiving end.”

The actress admits she has avoided going too far down the Internet rabbit hole “because I would probably see more of the people who don’t like Eliza. Luckily, the [fans] that follow me [on social media] like me and can see past [the ‘Calzona of it all]… You kind of have to just put your head down and do your work and not think about any of that stuff or else it’ll drive you crazy.”

Dominczyk — the real-life wife of Shondaland vet Scott Foley (who appeared on Grey’s before segueing to Scandal) — jokes that her husband’s one piece of advice to her prior to starting work on the ABC drama was, “‘Stay off Twitter.'”

The Brothers & Sisters alum nonetheless concedes that “being the villain is kind of fun… Eliza’s stirring up all these feelings.”

RELATED Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: [Spoiler] Poised to Exit

Curiously, Eliza has thus far been reluctant to mix pleasure with business where Arizona is concerned — why is that? “Eliza takes her job crazy seriously,” Dominczyk surmises. “It’s a huge separation for her — work and personal life. Work comes first. And she’s at a place where people don’t want her there — and they’re vocal about it. And [yet] she has to continue to be professional. If that happened to me, I don’t know how confident I would be with my hookup skills.”

Her confidence in her surgical skills, however, will be evident in this week’s episode (ABC. 8/7c), which finds Eliza going “full-throttle with her teaching method,” Dominczyk previews, adding that it’s “definitely the biggest episode for Minnick” so far.

“I hope Eliza sticks around,” Dominczyk adds of her currently open-ended stint. “I don’t know if she’s going to stick around, but it’s been super fun playing her.”

1. Dominique says:

now that grey’s has been renewed for a 14th season, i’m sure we can expect a promotion to regular for marika any day now.
    i don’t dislike the character, she doesn’t have the easiest job and i’d say catherine avery and bailey didn’t handle things well, which only made it worse for eliza.

2. Larc says:

The Minnick character is a huge minus so far, IMO. I’m finding nothing likeable about her at all.

• Pedro says:

Why do all characters have to be likeable?

We need conflict, we need stakes. Her storyline has been great, firing everybody up.

3. NC says:

She needs to go. She’s there just for an unnecessary plot, and Webber can teach circles around her. At least when Erica Hahn was unlikable, the character/actor had substance. This one’s a pretty face to be Callie’s replacement.

4. Dodi says:

Wow! Just wow! What a bitter lady. I’m not even a Calzona fan just gen GA’s viewer, but this interview leaves a bad impression of Ms Domińczyk. Don’t remember other actors bashing GA’s fandoms publicly.

• Olivia says:

She’s not bashing anyone, she simply stating a fact, which is that when a new actor comes in after a big ship has been broken, they’re bound to deal with the crazies on Twitter. Every fandom has them, don’t act like it’s news. I used to ship Calzona hard but my rooting for them has collapsed quicker than their couple has. They had not been a healthy couple for ages and Arizona’s character (even as a doc) has been on the receiving end of so much hate by the same nutjobs, like she was single-handedly responsible for the developments. These people have never been “my fanbase” so I don’t feel targeted. If someone feels targeted, maybe they have to think about their attitude a little bit.

Anyway, I like her and I’m hoping it will work as a LI for Arizona. Also curious as to how she’ll grow (if she does, hope so) at GSH as a surgeon and a teacher.

• I agree with you, I love Callie and Arizona and rooted for them as one of my fav TV couples! BUT, I want Arizona to find some happiness on this show, I like the beginning of the relationship brewing between Eliza and her. The cute lil flirting and tension I welcome. I hope she sticks around and they can become something good together.

5. Sammy says:

Her and Arizona kind of look alike. o_O

6. Alex says:

Haha I like her! A lot. Think I may be the only bi woman who wasn’t into Calzona like, AT ALL. Elizona? Now that’s a thinkg I’d wanna watch.

Tho I’ll have to admit, Lauren Boswell was a great match for Arizona – too bad the timing was awful.

Bring on the Elizona!

7. Julie says:

Has the me seasons of grey Anatomy started yet seasons 13 and watch night and channle

8. Marissa says:

Eliza must go . How dare she messes with things and gets Meredith suspended. Mer owns the place . Eliza should work with Webber . Resident shouldn’t perform operations alone or practice on real life humans until they are ready . Eliza is arrogant and she is going to get someone killed . If she was so good at her other hospital why is she still not there .

• Liz says:

Well in all fairness, she had nothing to do with Meredith being suspended. And she complained to Bailey that she disagreed with it. And for the record, I can’t stand her character. My main issue with this story line is that it is completely unrealistic. If the doctors don’t like her, then get together your little inbred board and force her out. Instead they resort to acting like petulant children.

9. Mara says:

Seems like a big PR push and they are trying to make us like her. Didn’t work. Bad idea all around, don’t like the writing, how the character of Bailey has changed into someone unrecognizable (for a few seasons, panic attacks now cutting everyone out?) I want Dr. Bailey back. And, Richard deserves a better storyline than this disrespectful one. I’ll watch again after Minnick is gone.

10. tk says:

I really really like her, hope she gets to stay…. I loving this tension buildup :)

11. Laura says:

I do not like the new character. There have been enough negative changes in the past couple of seasons. I think Catherine Avery is very underhanded, the way she has Bailey taking the fallout for the changes. Bailey and Richard have been coworkers and friends for a long time. This story line is way out of character for Bailey.

12. sally says:

Minnick sucks. She doesn’t fit in at all. Get rid of her asap. Getting rid of Grey is a BIG mistake. She should not have been suspended. Bailey needs to go.

13. Jami says:

Love Eliza. Hoping her and Arizona can be a thing. I am no fan of Callie after last season forcing Penny down our throats. The blame is on Bailey and Catherine. Richard and the other doctors are acting like spoiled children. Arizona is scared to move on and Eliza is a great match for her. No one is teaching residents, that include Mer. I do not want to see a bait and switch and see Murphy with Arizona. I am done with the show. Arizona is my favorite doctor.

14. Kennedy says:

I like her!!! I hope they get together!