greys-anatomy-recap season 13 episode 10 recap

Grey's Anatomy Recap: Jailhouse Doc

Picking up the evening after the events of its winter finale, Grey’s Anatomy did not pass “Go,” did not collect $200 — it went directly to jail for its midseason premiere. But Alex’s decision to take a plea deal and do time in order to protect Jo’s identity wasn’t the focus of “You Can Look (But You’d Better Not Touch).” On the contrary, the episode followed Arizona, Bailey and Jo to the prison floor of Tri-County Hospital. Why? Read on and find out!

‘I DON’T BITE… I MEAN, I HAVE’ | Though the trio of doctors had already worked a long day, as the hour began, they left Grey Sloan for Tri-County in order to seize their window of opportunity to treat Kristen Rochester, a 16-year-old inmate whose unborn daughter had an acardiac twin — as I understood their explanation, essentially a vampire tumor that was making the viable baby’s heart pump for two. While Jo was relieved to have some distraction from the trial that she still believed was taking place the next day, Bailey was rattled by the prospect of being behind bars and unsympathetic to those who found themselves there. When Jo, speaking from experience, argued that stuff happens to people, the chief shot back that “stuff does not just happen to you, you happen to stuff.”

Once the M.D.’s made it through security — with even Arizona’s prosthetic leg being inspected — they met Kristen’s attorney, Amanda, and were escorted to the inmate’s room by hostile Dr. Eldredge, who was pissed that the “V.I.P. patient” was getting special treatment that would rile up her fellow jailbirds. Mind you, Eldredge seemed like a pussycat compared to Kristen. The mom-to-be wasn’t just described as a dangerous monster who wasn’t allowed to initiate physical contact with the doctors, she actually seemed to be a dangerous monster, lunging the first chance she got at Eldredge and dislocating her finger. After Kristen was cuffed to the bed — against Amanda’s strenuous objections — the patient got to work endearing herself to the docs, starting with Arizona, who she said talked “like unicorns and rainbows are about to shoot out of [her] ass.” Charmed, I’m sure.

greys anatomy season 13 episode 10 recap‘SHE’LL KNOW I’M HER MOM FOREVER’ | While Arizona examined Kristen, she revealed that she was eager to go into labor, because once she did, her mother would be allowed to come “to hold my hand and crap.” So she was predictably displeased to learn that she wouldn’t be giving birth that night, Robbins would just be cutting the connection between the baby and the mass that was draining its resources. It wasn’t even considered surgery, it was merely a procedure. As Kristen grew more and more riled, she blurted out that she wanted to deliver, stat, so that her mother could adopt the baby, then she could see her daughter anytime Mom visited. Just then, Amanda was called away to the E.R., where another client had a pulled knife on the surgeon.

Later, as Bailey overcame her fear of inmates enough to treat a random patient whose wound was oozy and smelly, Arizona began trying to turn Kristen’s baby around in utero. Robbins had scarcely begun, however, when she was called downstairs by Eldredge. Put in charge of the maneuver, Jo attempted to bond with Kristen by admitting that, after being tossed from one lousy foster home to another, she’d once helped a guy knock over a convenience store. In turn, Kristen described her own picture-perfect preppy upbringing, complete with casseroles for dinner, an awesome swing set and a mom who, when she wasn’t around the other prep-school parents, didn’t even wear makeup, much less pearls. She also said she planned to name her daughter Ellie. But “if you tell anyone I said all that crap,” she added, “I’ll kill you.”

‘STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE’ | When Bailey — horrified by the conditions she’d witnessed — tried to offer advice on managing hospital assets, Eldredge ushered her into the supply room to show her exactly what assets she had to work with. You see, she explained, “I don’t allocate my resources, the state does.” Meanwhile, Arizona discovered that she’d been called downstairs to speak with Kristen’s mother, Emily, who, it turned out, wasn’t there for her daughter, just her granddaughter. In fact, she had no intention of ever bringing the baby to see Kristen. “I hate people,” Jo muttered when Arizona filled in her and Bailey. Nonetheless, they wouldn’t tell the patient. “We do not hurt her more,” Arizona argued, “not right now.”

Of course, that agreement didn’t last long. During Kristen’s procedure, she noted that her mom never told her anything juicy, and she “hated being kept in the dark.” Cue Arizona exhibiting the worst poker face in recorded history, and boom! The patient freaked, thinking something was wrong with her daughter, started wriggling and wound up in preterm labor! Even then, Emily didn’t want to go to Kristen, whom “the baby is better off never knowing,” she suggested. As the teen’s cuffs started to bother her more, and her contractions grew stronger, she became frantic for someone to get Amanda to get her mom there. Finally, Jo blurted out the truth — her mom was there already, she just didn’t want to see her.

greys anatomy season 13 episode 10 recap‘I WANT MY MOMMY’ | When Bailey took Kristen’s hand, she shouted at the doc to get off. But, at this point, Miranda was done being afraid. “You’re not alone,” she reassured Kristen, who begged the docs to “tell [my mom] I wish I could take it back… and maybe she’ll come.” Knowing that it wouldn’t matter to Emily, Bailey just repeated, “We’re here with you.” Eldredge even softened, freeing her recent attacker from her shackles. After the baby was born, Kristen didn’t want to see her. “I don’t get to be her mom at all,” she said. “I’m no one.” But, when she heard the girl cry, she changed her tune and held her daughter. “I’m your mama,” she whispered. “Remember me.” Once the baby was taken away, Jo put her arm around Kristen and drew her a mental picture of the wonderful life Ellie would live.

As for Kristen, she’d soon go back to genpop, Eldredge told the docs, to finish serving her 20-to-life sentence. What had the teen done? Bailey didn’t wanna know. Downstairs, Emily revealed to Arizona that — see ya, Ellie — she’d be calling the baby Hannah. Unable to contain her dislike a second more, Robbins asked, “If this one makes a mistake, will you leave her, too?” Before departing Tri-County, Bailey told Eldredge that if she was ever looking for a new job, she should come to Grey Sloan. And vice-versa, Eldredge replied. On the ride home, Bailey revealed to Jo and Arizona that there wasn’t going to be a trial, Alex was taking the plea deal. At that, Jo had to get out of the car and puke.

So, what did you think of the midseason premiere? Solid hour, right, but also kinda mean, considering how eager we are to learn whether Alex really took the plea deal? Do you think he went through with it? Hit the comments.

1. kn1231 says:

While I enjoyed the episode, I wish that this wasn’t the first episode back from a hiatus. The preview for next week looks a lot better.

What I did really enjoy about tonight was having more Arizona. I think her presence has been lacking this season, which has impacted my overall enjoyment of this season.

2. Cdeno says:

This was a good episode. I’m generally not a fan of these types of episodes. And hey Arizona actually mentioned her daughter

3. EM says:

Okay episode but for coming back after such a long hiatus, I would have preferred an episode that featured all the main characters especially the main characters of Meredith, Alex, Bailey and Webber. Disappointed. This was a stand alone episode that could have aired earlier or later in their schedule.

4. Amber says:

This was a good episode. It kinda made me like Jo for a little while. Also a main character realized what I’ve known as a viewer for years: awesome, strong Bailey is gone. In her place is a judgmental basketcase. Can we get season 1-4 Bailey back please?

• Alichat says:

Yeah….what was all that? I kept saying out loud ‘Where is the real Bailey?’ This should not have fazed her at all.

• Kris10 says:

That was my opinion as well. Like why was she a big baby at first? It didn’t fit her character at all.

• Casey Berkowitz says:

I think Bailey reacted that way because she was thinking about the horrors Karev would be facing in prison. Just a thought.

5. JM says:

Great episode. Bad placing for a mid-season premiere.

6. Kb23 says:

Was I supposed to feel sympathy for the brat who gave birth?

7. dfer706069@aol.com says:

Bad! Really bad. How stupid do you think your viewers are. 31 week pregnancy delivery. I had to turn it off because you disappointed me with non reality of medicine…. I waited all this time! Who does your medical research! Dr. Doolittle!

8. Mitsotakis says:

One of the worst episodes ever. And back from a break? Rating suicide.

• Daphne says:

Apparently not! A 16-months high according to last night’s ratings! Maybe it was the TGIT hype, but clearly the bottle episode had no impact on ratings after all.

• rowan77 says:

It would appear you do NOT have your finger on the pulse of American viewers. Ratings Suicide my Aunt Fanny!

“Grey’s Anatomy returned from its 10-week break on Thursday night to 9.5 million total viewers and a 2.6 rating, rising 19 and 18 percent from its previous episode to hit not just season highs but its best numbers since its Season 12 premiere (Sept. 24, 2015).”

Don’t give up your day job.

9. Gospino says:

Boring episode, devoted way too much time to an unsympathetic brat (the prisoner)–and Bailey was utterly annoying when she was so snotty to the criminal’s mother who was after all taking in her jailbird daughter’s kid.

• Leah says:

well, you’re lovely. And it was Arizona who talked with the mother.

• Gospino says:

Yeah, it was Arizona, I typed the wrong name. But at least I’m not a rude snot who makes personal snips at other people simply for not enjoying a tv episode. I think it’s just LOVELY that you singled out me at when at least four other people (at the time you replied) also had said they didn’t like it. But then, you’re clearly a LOVELY person who enjoys being a troll from the safety of behind your keyboard. Be proud. :D

10. Tahina says:

Glad that Arizona had more than 3 seconds screen time. Having said that, it was a boring episode, for a premiere that is..but Grey’s back on my screen!

11. Keslen says:

Tonight’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy was really good. It was also very standalone and answered absolutely no questions about the ongoing storyline. Perhaps the first slot after a long absence wasn’t the best place to put it?

• Kelly says:

I totally agree. I thought it was a great episode just misplaced. I, unlike a lot of people of here apparently, had sympathy for Kristen. I had no sympathy for her mom though. I have 2 daughters of my own and can’t imagine just cutting them off because they made a mistake, albeit a horrible one.

• fiberlicious says:

Everyone is assuming that Kristen made “one mistake” when, in fact, we don’t know what she did or over what period of time. All three doc characters behaved like naive little babes in the woods, totally out of character for all of them – even Jo.

12. Tennisnsun says:

Terrible choice for midseason opener. Nothing but a giant snore.

13. Mara says:

Hated the episode and this is the premiere? Feel like they don’t care about the audience because clearly we want to know what happens with Alex. I stopped watching after the way Derek’s death was handled and am thinking it was not worth checking back in.

14. Cheryl says:

I thought it was good show, but agree with other posters that a stand alone episode after a long break is not always advisable. I think they did this on purpose because of the Alex cliff hanger. This episode evolved solely in a prison. It churned up a lot of feelings for these three doctors experiencing what prison is like. To learn that Alex chose the plea bargain and was headed to jail, I believe hit them harder because of this experience.

15. Bigdede says:

This episode was horrid. I cared nothing for that thugette and was glad her mama was taking that baby away from her. There was not redeeming about that girl to make me feel sorry for her. Jo pissed me off. She can tell other people’s secrets but couldn’t tell the man she supposedly loved about her ex husband. Arizona had the nerve to have an attitude with the mother when she isn’t even raising her own daughter!

• Cat says:

There is a difference between not living with your child and completely shutting them out. With technology today Arizona could very well have face to face contact with her daughter every day but as with much of Arizona’s story it could be offscreen.

16. Best Episode that I have seen in awhile. When I start to get tired of Grey’s it always pulls out this type of episode that pulls me back in again

17. Jess says:

One of the worst episodes ever and bad choice to put it as the first episode after a long hiatus .

• rowan77 says:

The ratings say you are incorrect in your assessment. Their stand-alone episodes tend to do very well the the audiences. This was no exception.

• Erika says:

yeah only because they tend to put them as premiere or mid-premiere when of course people will tune in to see what’s going to happen after a long break. If they had put it earlier or later in the season I don’t think it would have done so well imo.

• rowan77 says:

In this day and age when we get plenty of advanced notice of what the plotlines of any given episode is, that is a lame excuse. The fact is the stand alone episodes do well in the ratings for Grey’s. That’s why they do them.

18. Chris says:

A ho hum epsiode, with nothing new, and some really iffy situational awareness. The effect of multiple Shonaland series is really hitting GA hard. The writing quality has really suffered. We’re nearing Jump the shark stuff on this series. Honestly, I think the inexplicable Karev freakout WAS GA’s Jump the Shark moment.

• Cat says:

As Ron Howard once pointed out in an interview, ‘Jumping the shark’ has been given such a negative connotation in Hollywood yet Happy Days went on to have several successful seasons after the particular episode.

19. Aileen says:

The problem is that Jo’s never the been likeable. There’s been barely. any character development for her. She’s immature and childish. They have written as someone so annoying. I feel horrible for her I do but does not negate the fact Jo is probably the worst character on the show in terms of writing and acting. Camilla just cannot act. It really boggles my mind why Jo is on the show she serves no purpose and the writers dont care for her because they have really neglected her. I mean Riggs has had better writing and development than I and he’s been on the show for a season only. Why keep Jo on the show? She’s not well received

• SE says:

There’s actually plenty of people who love Jo, myself included, but are just too sick and disgusted of the unjustified hate she gets on a weekly basis to even bother responding to it to the same extent. It’s so damn boring to read on every single Facebook post, on episodes she’s not even prominent in! I guess the fact people blame her for Alex beating deluca senseless speaks for itself. She was a great compassionate doctor tonight, who put her patients needs first, and had some great scenes but this fandom hates on her no matter what she does.

Even though I agree the timing of it wasnt right, I also find it hilarious how people are complaining about the bottleneck episode , yet had no issue with last years ‘Meredith Is beaten within an inch of her life’ contrived opener. Just because she’s not in it doesn’t mean it’s not a fantastic episode jfc.

• Aileen says:

when did I blame her for what Alex did? Read the post, she gets hate because it is justified. She’s been so poorly written and it astonishes me that she’s even on the show. Alex got himself in this mess and If he goes to Jail..its his own doing. But Jo has never been an angel. She had no business in acting childish with the Meredith issue…granted she was annoyed by her and rightfully so but all she did was WHINE for 2 SEASONS!!!! It’s infuriating. Not to mention she nearly ruined Stephanie’s career because of her jealousy. And She has the audacity to be shocked when she realizes that Stephanie is the best resident in the hospital. Has Jo done anything to further her career? No. Why does she wallow in self-pity consistently? LOL by the way there’s a reason the writers have neglected Jo for the past 5 years, they don’t care for her just like the majority of the fans. People don’t like her because she’s immature and childish. Plus she acted so immature when she found out about the embryos Alex and Izzie froze…umm Alex and Izzie were in love and it looked like at one point she could have died but no Jo being all righteous threw a fit. All well Alex was dealing with which newborn twin he would have to save. It really is ridiculous when people come say I hate Jo for making Alex go to Jail, When in reality I have never liked her and that’s because of the writing and Camilla’s acting. Stephanie’s had more meaningful growth and development and she’s underused. Jo brings nothing to the show at all.

20. yuka says:

This episode was a disgrace for the series. With all the clifhanger plotlines, it would have been nice to be addressed. While an OK episode to be the one after a month or so break is terrible. I am almost considering not watching anymore.

21. Sarah says:

So what do you think Kristen did to get her locked up 20 years to life and banished by her mother? Killed a sibling? Father? I can’t help but feeling we would have understood her character so much better with a clue.

• Kelly Hilliard says:

I was kind of thinking father myself.

• Aileen says:

She probably killed someone…I’m thinking the father.

• Erika says:

I think it must be worse than just killing father or a sibling… not sure about the laws in usa but I don’t think they would give you life in prison if you are a teenager…or would they?? I think she must have done something even worse… maybe shooting in school or something where more people died…

22. Vi says:

Not a fan of this episode but really shouldn’t have been the first one back from hiatus. We wanted Alex and got this instead. Very disappointed.

23. Sara says:

What did the girl do to go to prison to begin with?

24. MO says:

I really enjoyed it, I couldn’t care less what happens with alex, i love him but that prision sl is just so boring and it’s been dragged on for too long

25. Luis says:

Filler episode? I actually think it was the season’s best episode. Old classic’s grey, solid hour and we don’t need every character to make a good episode. In fact, I think Arizona gave one of her best performances ever.

10/10, that’s how you come back from a 10-week hiatus.

26. Eye314Yawnah says:

This episode wasn’t bad, but it also wasn’t what I expected. I don’t mind a break from the usual dram… but I don’t get the relevance of this episode and I still would like to know what the girl did to get arrested. Was she molested and killed the man who impregnated her? Like what did she do that could explain her being in jail for the rest of her life, while she’s recently pregnant, and her mom doesn’t want to be bothered with her anymore… I need answers! But oh well.