Exclusive
Darren Criss Supergirl Flash Musical Meister

Flash/Supergirl Musical Episode Stages Glee Reunion, Casts Darren Criss as the Menacing Music Meister

Music makes the Glee kids come together again!

In a pitch-perfect piece of casting, Darren Criss will reunite with his former Glee cohorts Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist when he guest-stars in the two-part The Flash/Supergirl musical episode as the Big Bad Music Meister, TVLine has learned exclusively.

“With our Flash and our Supergirl being Glee alums, how could we not have them go up against another Glee favorite like Darren Criss?” exec producer Andrew Kreisberg tells TVLine. “We have been blown away by his talent over the years and we can’t wait to see what he brings to the Music Meister.”

music-meisterAs reported last week, the anticipated crossover will air Monday, March 20 and Tuesday, March 21 at 8/7 each night. As with the network’s recent “Heroes v. Aliens” saga, the event will start at the end of Supergirl, saving most of the musical action for The Flash‘s portion of the event, appropriately titled “Duet.”

As for which characters will be singing, The CW confirmed that  Broadway vets Jesse L. Martin (Joe), Victor Garber (Dr. Stein), John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn) and Jeremy Jordan (Winn); and Carlos Valdes (Cisco) will be lending their voices alongside Gustin, Benoist and Criss.

Glee fun fact: Gustin’s Sebastian was initially introduced in Season 3 as a quasi-villain whose flirtation with Criss’ Blaine stoked jealousy in Chris Colfer’s Kurt. Gustin’s been anxious to get his ex–onscreen crush on The Flash as far back as 2015, telling Entertainment Tonight at the time, “I’m like, ‘Dude, we gotta get you on this thing. I don’t know in what capacity, but he’s got to.”Glee Reunion on The Flash

BTW, so spot-on is Criss’ casting that, yes, we neglected to include him in our Music Meister wish list (sometimes it’s the ones staring you in the face that are the most challenging to see!)

Thoughts on The CW’s mini-Glee revival on The Flash/Supergirl? Hit the comments!

1. Jen Gossel says:

Neil Patrick Harris should play the Music Meister as he played him in the cartoon >_< sry but Darren cant pull this off

2. Butch says:

I assume that should be 2015 not 2005 since Grant wanted Darren on the Flash.

3. Joey says:

Wow they just killed any desire I had for seeing this.

4. Bea says:

As if I wasn’t disappointed with this idea enough.

5. Marie says:

He’s a good singer so it’s okay. Too bad Melissa is the only female singing there (Chyler should’ve been there instead of jeremy)

6. Kim says:

So I was actually excited about these episodes. I’m not anymore.

7. tele says:

Oh dear, that is very very not good. This was already a derivative, bound-to-be-terrible idea but this makes it even worse.

8. Ryan says:

Yes! And I was mocked in the comments for the last article!

9. I imagine this bad guy causes them to sing … what does that remind anyone of? Oh yeah … Buffy. :\

10. Becca says:

I mean, the CW is definitely a good fit for Darren given his, err, acting limitations. That said, I feel for you fans of these shows and on the bright side, he’s only in 2 episodes. If he hadn’t been cast in another part already, Andy Mientus would have been perfect for this.

• Ann says:

Andy would have been great! Glee/Smash reunion! Darren Criss is blah. Looks like they’ll heavily autotune this episode for him.

• Tai says:

Andy Mientus is already a character on Flash. He plays the Pied Piper. So it wouldn’t make any sense for him to be in this role. And there’s no down side for me. I’m excited Darren Criss is going to be on. I liked him prior to Glee. Like him after. He was probably my third choice for the role.

• Temperance says:

Acting limitations? He killed it in Hedwig and pretty much everything he did. I guess you think playing Blaine was all he’s done…. or that he wasn’t supposed to be somewhat surreal (like every other character). I guess he fooled you.

11. MahBoo says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see him!

12. Cordell Garrett says:

The ones complaining this isn’t going to be good is making me want to see this even more

13. Matty says:

Best casting news in a long time!

14. Wrigley says:

I think this is a great idea and he’s a great choice. Not surprised by the negative comments, though. The tvline comment section has always been a gathering point for the most extreme and bitter Glee shippers.

• Becca says:

I mean, if you believing that makes you feel better than sure but if you look on Twitter and other places the only positive reactions are from his fans.

• Tai says:

Exactly. I learned long ago to avoid the comment section of a lot of places when it came to Glee. There were certain people who were the favorite and no one else was good enough. They were all the worst by comparison. I would just read recaps and move on. But all that negativity aside, I’m excited for him being on the episode. It’s going to be a little Glee reunion. That’s so cool.

15. jrex says:

Saw Darren in Hedwig. There is much more to his talent than squeaky clean Blaine. Love this.

• Lex says:

As another person who saw Darren as Hedwig, I can say with complete sincerity that if you can’t get NPH, Darren Criss is a damn good alternative. I expect great things.

16. Ana Cecilia Deustua Infante says:

I hope he has taken some classes to realize that theater acting and tv acting are different styles and he doesn’t need to use every single muscle in his face when he is on screen.

17. Honey No says:

Oh lord… another inspired Glee moment ruined by the continuously mediocre Darren Criss.

• Emi says:

honey the only one who would ruin it here is you, since all u do is complain, just because u dont like him doesn’t mean u should spread hate cause he is an amazing singer and can act too

18. A says:

Oh God why? So disappointed. :(
    If they wanted a Glee alum then they could have just made Music Meister a female & then anyone from Lea Michele, Naya Rivera or Amber Riley as Music Meister.

19. Sarah says:

Some day this dude’s mediocrity will stop being celebrated.

• yeah says:

Hopefully. But he has so many coattails he can ride! And a whole community to exploit, so unfortunately he’ll probably be popping up in places he doesn’t belong again in the future.

20. Samantha says:

Nope not here for Darren. He can’t sing or act, he won’t be good as Music Meister. Its also a shame that they only have one female singing in the musical episode Any excitement I had for this episode is now at zero.

21. Dizzle says:

Such a great idea, the only thing I’m missing – as it seems the majority of the crossover is going to be on The Flash – is Andy Mientus coming back for it. But looking forward to the episodes! Hopefully even if they aren’t singing, Alex Iris and Caitlin still have a big part! Otherwise it is a bit of a sausagefest

22. jamescameron says:

I hate to admit it, but Glee ruined Darren Criss for me. His character was completely ruined by the end of the show (so were most characters on Glee, but his just became a whiny nuisance)
    Since then I have avoided Darren as much as possible (but I do hope the episodes will be good)

• Ann says:

The first season Darren was on Glee wasn’t bad. His character was Kurt’s confident mentor. Then, for some reason…they made Kurt’s character the older, more confident one and Criss’s became a whiny, self-centered, unconfident kid. Apparently, Blaine was a Freshman when he was leading the Warblers, according to the writers reframed their ages so that Criss could continue on the show after Kurt graduated. It made no sense!

• Sur says:

Darren Criss did not write/direct/produce his character on Glee. Others made the unfortunate changes in Blaine and the rest of the show. That said I’m happy for Darren and his fans. I wish him much success. I’ve never watched Supergirl or Flash, but I’ll watch these episodes.

23. Beth says:

So disappointed by this news. Darren Criss can’t sing or act. The Flash is one of my favorite shows – too bad I’ll have to skip this one.

24. Lame says:

Frankly, no. Just no.

25. Steve F. says:

PERFECT casting.

26. Joey Padron says:

Good casting to play Music Meister. Glad there will be a Glee reunion with Darren being on both shows for crossover episodes and working with Grant and Melissa. Can’t wait to see the crossover episodes in March!

27. truffles says:

I was excited about this episode ’till this came out. Is this how boner shrinking feels like?

28. Kat says:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No! You know, I was going to give this episode a chance but now — no!

Just…no!

29. Moller says:

Can’t decide if I’m morbidly gleeful to see them try to reanimate the corpse that is Criss’ TV career, or simply sad to see the horse flogged again.

30. Truth says:

Cause for some reason CW thinks we want to see a glee reunion lol. I’ll be skipping this one.

31. Jeez the negative comments are crazy. I’m looking forward to this. A musical episode sounds ridiculous in theory but if it brings back a little fun to Flash I’m all for it. I think this is a great casting decision. It would be nice if they had some more women singing though. Are the women on these shows just terrible vocalists?

32. ScottJ says:

Seems to be rather a lot of people here that have no idea Criss has had a number of leading roles on Broadway. So obviously he can sing and act.

33. Ian says:

He can barely sing, he’s a notorious mugger, and he’s lost all relevance.
    What’s to be excited about.

34. Brigid says:

I like the casting! I think Darren has a great voice and is perfectly suited for this role. Looking forward to the episode.

35. clintbrew says:

fun fact darren criss played harry potter in a musical based on the harry potter series which is called a very potter musical which darren criss co-wrote it on youtube it pretty good

36. Oncer93 says:

Should be interesting to see how he pulls it of, i wasn’t a huge fan of Darren on Glee, but i wasn’t a huge fan of Melissa back then either and now i love her, so i belive Darren should get the chance to prove he can pull it of.

• tvloverSA says:

On glee I was a big fan of mellisa the singer than the actor, must say the glee writers knew how to create awful characters and I loved the show but the characters not so much.

37. ninergrl6 says:

Perfect! Love it!

38. No mention of how Carlos Valdes (The Flash’s Cisco) worked with Darren in numerous musical theatre-related projects in college? That’s the first thing he mentions in his post.

39. Jim Bob says:

Everyone here knows Dianna is the best actor and singer who ever came from Glee and would’ve been perfect for this role.

40. abz says:

He definitely wouldn’t have been my first pick for this role (I would’ve rather seen Matt Bomer or Aaron Tveit), but I do think he has a good singing voice (I loved some of his Glee covers including Cough Syrup, It’s Not Unusual, Somewhere Only We Know, and Hopelessly Devoted To You).
    I agree with one of the above comments. I wish they would have brought back Andy Mientus as the Pied Piper and stage a mini-SMASH reunion with Jeremy Jordan.

41. Good choice as he had a voice on zGlee and did a good job at song writing This Time on Glee

42. Emily says:

After seeing Darren Criss in Hedwig and the Angry Inch I’m REALLY excited to see this.

43. Flashrow says:

Can the Music Meister have a thing for the Flash? It would be kinda funny because of the previos relationship between Sebastian and Blaine.

44. Nathan Everett says:

All of you act like you’ve seen the episode already.

45. ALM says:

Yes!!! Best choice for the role in my opinion. I am VERY excited about this. I will say I’m surprised the article says: “Sometimes it’s the ones staring you in the face that are the most challenging to see!” A few people mentioned Darren Criss as a choice even before you made your casting choice list.

46. Bob says:

Sounds a little like the Buffy The Vampire Slayer Episode “Once More With Feeling” they to had a Music Demon that caused the characters to sing. It seems that episode of Buffy had paved the way for other shows to do the same, back then several shows did this including HBO’s OZ and that one was pretty sad.

47. Mandy says:

Ugh nooooo! Not a fan of musicals and now this.

48. T.W.S.S. says:

This casting is a bit too on the nose. I was hoping they wouldn’t go with a Glee alum.

49. Justin says: