GILMORE GIRLS

Lauren Graham Talks Return to Gilmore and Her 'Fall' Monologue — Plus: Is a Parenthood Revival In the Cards?

The following story contains spoilers about Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. Proceed with the utmost caution.

Lauren Graham‘s full-court, Gilmore Girls-themed press tour continued Thursday night with a visit to New York’s revered 92nd Street Y, where the actress-author participated in a sold-out Q&A with TVLine’s very own Michael Ausiello. During the hour-long discussion, Ausiello lightly grilled Graham about her just-released mini-memoir Talking as Fast as I Can, as well as (of course) Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.

What follows are highlights from their talk:

* While preparing to write Talking as Fast as I Can, Graham binge-watched all seven seasons of Gilmore over three days, barricading herself in her New York City apartment. Admittedly, she didn’t “watch it thoroughly,” but it was “really fun.” During those seven years, “my brain was sort of a fog, but I loved seeing… all that work… and all those crazy fashion choices. It was intense,” she said with a laugh.

* It was incredibly overwhelming for Graham being back on the Warner Brothers lot those first few days of shooting “Winter” — so much so that she had to grab onto co-star Alexis Bledel the first time she saw Lorelai’s house again.

* Graham referred to her emotional monologue in “Fall” (for which she was recently named TVLine’s Performer of the Week) as “the longest monologue I ever had to deliver.” When she sat down to read it, she recalled, she “cried ” because of the feelings it dredged up about the loss of Edward Herrmann. She added that she was panicked by the intensity of the scene “because I wanted to serve all of that as best as I could.” In the end, she nailed the scene in just two takes.

* Further commenting on the loss of Herrmann, Graham said that the hardest part was knowing “he would’ve loved to come back. He loved Kelly [Bishop], he loved that character… but I just feel glad to have known him and glad that his presence was so big in those episodes.”

* Graham said she hasn’t watched a second of the revival yet; for her, the experience of shooting it “was more than enough.” As she explained, “I had some of my favorite moments… as an actor and person during that experience. I just want to leave it there for now.” In fact, she added, she’s not sure she’ll ever watch it.

* Graham said she loved watching Sutton Foster perform in the Stars Hollow musical sequence. “It was the most fun scene to shoot,” she recalled. “The songs [were] fantastic — they’re great, but also horrible. [Laughs.] It entertained me to no end. I laughed every single time.”

* Though the audience erupted when the idea of a second Gilmore revival was teased, Graham said she wasn’t so sure there were any Lorelai stories left to tell. “I can see more for Kelly [Bishop] and Alexis [Bledel] — I can see where that story would go for their characters,” she explained. “I can’t see what would be next for [Lorelai], but I imagine [series co-creator] Amy [Sherman-Palladino] can.”

* As for a Parenthood revival? “That’s a show where many people have said, ‘We love how it ended. Please just leave it there,'” Graham said, but “I would always get back together with those people.” She referred to the beloved NBC series as “some weird, karmic answer to the experience I had just had,” and said it helped her prepare for A Year in the Life. “I learned a lot as an actor emotionally… I had to work a little harder. Coming back to [Gilmore], it helped.”

1. Alexis says:

I would like to see Lorelai and Michel opening the extension of the inn. I think that could be a good storyline, although I agree Rory and Emily have more storyline possibilites.

2. I think seeing Lorelei adjust to the role of grandmother, and dealing with rory maybe making different parenting decisions than she did, would be interesting for her character.

3. Dannie C says:

When you think you can’t love Lauren any more than you already do..

4. Grey'sFan says:

Someone please cast Lauren as Dr. Kathleen Shepherd on Grey’s Anatomy. I will keep obsessing about this until it happens, or as long as TVLine continues to love Gilmore Girls. :)

• abz says:

I would love for this to happen. I hate how Shonda has yet to reveal Derek’s fourth sister and how the sisters are rarely ever seen on the show besides Amelia. Lauren would be great in the role.

• Baker Girl says:

In her book she explains that she doesn’t think that she would be right for the part of a doctor and that she (turns them down when offered… without seeing them) doesn’t look at those types of scripts.

• c-mo says:

One of things I like most about Lauren is that she she plays an “every woman”, which she is VERY good at, and that makes her relatable and likeable.

• A fan of TV says:

But Kathleen is a psychiatrist, which I think Lauren could fit more than maybe a surgeon.

• Grey'sFan says:

Yes. If Lauren has the skills to talk and listen she’d be a great Kathleen. The family resemblance with her “sisters” and “late-brother” is eerie… Plus, Meredith once commented that Kathleen was her favourite Shepherd sister (probably because she’s never visited Seattle, but still…).

• A fan of TV says:

Plus, while I’m sure Amelia would be hugely resistant to discussing the obvious psychological barriers she’s putting up in her marriage with Owen right now, maybe the support of her sister who is also a professional would help her reconnect with him, because he isn’t exactly any good (at all!) at taking about his feelings, and get her to the point where the thought of having another baby that may not be perfectly healthy doesn’t traumatize the crap out of her.

5. c-mo says:

I want to be Lauren Graham/Lorelai Gilmore/Sarah Braverman when I grow up!

6. E says:

She is so lovely

7. MMD says:

What a classy lady and when award show time comes around I hope her acting in this revival gets noticed. She was so deserving of TVLine’s Performer of the Week.

8. mary says:

I am just going to say it I wish these shows would stop doing reunions, reboots or movies all it does is ruin the shows.

The Sex and the City movies took the women from being strong and independent to sad and pathetic not to mention shallow, hateful, rude and I could go on and on.

And with Gilmore well it showed me all the issues that really lived in the show, the original series lived and worked beautifully when it was on, it fit the time and you can rewatch and be fine but to recreate it now when the world is so different it just felt gross.

Shows that are great are great for when they are on leave them be.

9. A fan of TV says:

I loved Parenthood so much. I think they covered their bases with the flash forward finale, and as much as I LOVE the Bravermans, I would rather revisit them when Jabar, Victor, Sydney, Nora etc are teenagers. Centre it around the siblings and Camille coming to terms with the loss of one of their own. Maybe Adam, and we can see if a show can kill off Peter Krause without jumping the shark ;)

10. Annu says:

I did not find the new season of GG interesting. Watching Laurelie is also not enjoyable as she is no more charming. Rory also looks old. The 3rd episode was so boring. It was not worth waiting for the launch on Netflix.

11. Ally says:

Anyway to ask Lauren what it was like getting back into those scenes with Scott Patterson? We’ve heard his side, just curious how it felt jumping back into that Luke and Lorelai dynamic? LOVE all of the reporting TVLine does and the revival was AMAZING!!!