Exclusive

Last Man on Earth Premiere: Will Forte, January Jones Weigh In on That Epic Cameo — Plus: Exclusive BTS Photo

Last Man on Earth‘s Season 3 premiere was called “General Breast Theme with Cobras,” but we’d like to suggest a more apt title: “Betty Draper Francis’ Ultimate Revenge.”

In an epic casting coup that Last Man star/creator Will Forte miraculously managed to keep a lid on all summer (and that, yes, was the subject of a certain Blind Item), one of the two gun-toting, hazmat suit-wearing mystery men that stormed the Malibu compound alongside Pat (the returning Mark Boone Junior) was none other than… Jon freakin’ Hamm, aka January Jones’ onetime Mad Men co-star. (For the record, the other, far luckier uninvited guest was Kenneth Choi, best known for his roles as Henry Lin on Sons of Anarchy and Lance Ito on The People v. O.J. Simpson: American
rime
story).

And in a most meta-tacular twist, it was Jones’ Melissa who shot and killed Hamm’s character, Daryl. To put a finer, fourth-wall shattering point on it, a back-from-the-dead Betty Draper murdered her serial-cheater of an ex-husband Don in cold blood.

last_man_on_earth_s03e01_stillThe biggest surprise? The Mad Men parallel did not dawn on Forte when he pitched the cameo to Hamm (which follows a pattern, seeing as how last season’s Mad Men homage was also initially lost on SNL alum). “There was no Mad Men tie-in that we were ever planning,” Forte maintains to TVLine. “Frankly, I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me.”

One person who instantly made the connection was Jones, who tells TVLine she “died laughing” when Forte “whispered it to me” back in July at Comic-Con, adding, “I thought it was ingenious given our history together.”

Did she take any particular delight that, in the Last Man universe at least, Betty exacted the ultimate revenge against Don? “I didn’tbecause I thought we had such a beautiful ending to our story,” Jones admits. “I felt like there was closure. As Betty, I didn’t feel any anger towards Don. But I thought the fans would get a kick out of it. Thinking back to some of the stuff he did to Betty, maybe they’d see it as a little redemption.”

Jones describes shooting the top-secret sequence as disorienting. “It was surreal, to be honest,” she says. “I see Jon socially and we keep in touch, but it was very weird to see him on a [non-Mad Men] set — especially one that’s so modern — playing other characters. It was bizarre. But it was so much fun. He was such a good sport about it.”

Scroll down to view an exclusive behind-the-scenes photo of Jones, Hamm and Forte, and then scroll down further to re-watch my interview with the Last Man crew from #SDCC, during which Forte and Jones presciently discuss the series’ relative obsession with all things Mad Men

last-man-on-earth-jon-hamm

1. Beth says:

I was expecting a bigger guest. Not too surprised by a Jon Hamm guest appearance.

• dude says:

Agreed. Jon Hamm is primarily a television actor so it’s not that surprising that he guest starred on a former co-star’s show.

• Jim says:

Plus John Hamm will do anything you ask of him if you ask nicely. No matter how big or small a production or role. He’s great like that.

2. Phillip says:

I’m really disappointed in you, Michael. I was expected better from you. This was not a good blind item. I hope you try harder next time.

3. Rob says:

Betty Killed Don!

4. rod says:

Expected someone bigger, he has been on PRex and Kimmy Schmidt, so, not a big surprise

5. Eli says:

This has to be the most dissapointing blind item ever. Jon Hamm guest stars in absolutely everything: 30 Rock, Kimmy Schmidt, SNL, Todd Margarett…

6. Babygate says:

This is what the hoopla was all about? Oh, ok. Don’t watch this show and didn’t watch Mad Men so, the excitement is lost on me. I thought the blind item may have been related to OUAT.

7. Spence says:

Thats… thats the blind item?? oh… kay…

8. ndixit says:

Man, I knew this would underwhelm. No offense to John Hamm, I love the guy, but he is not such a big casting coup.

9. As says:

Disappointed. I was intrigued by the blind item. But I don’t think it was worth the hype and blind item. I guess it shocking because of mad men nostalgia.

10. dsrbroadway says:

That’s a real lame one, Michael. Sorry. I four the Jason Sudeikis and Will Ferrell appearances on this same show to worth the big Blind Item tease. (Especially since Sudeikis went on to have a real storyline on the show.)

11. j says:

The “blind item” build up to this was really cheap. Jon Hamm has guest starred on a bunch of shows with SNL connections; seeing him pop up here was hardly shocking.

12. JC says:

A TV star from one show appearing on another TV show? Yeah, shocking. I’ll try not to become too invested in future blind items.

13. Gena says:

“(and that, yes, was the subject of a certain Blind Item)”

Hah, I knew it was going to be this show when the Blind Item was first posted, but I never would’ve guessed Hamm (I was never a ‘Mad Men’ fan — though I liked him when he hosted SNL, including twice near the end of Forte’s tenure there). :)

14. Kermit says:

Well, I liked it.

15. Worst Blind item ever. It created unrealistic hype and expectations for a lot of great shows that actually still reflect their Title and Premise.

16. Brian says:

Cool yes. But trending on Twitter, ultra secret, epic casting… um no.

17. ChicagoDan says:

We’re all guilty of being suckered by a shockingly overstated Blind Item. JH? Really? Despite being a critical darling MM was never a huge ratings draw – like LMOE – and Hamm has made numerous cameos. I’ll nominate this as #1 click bait entertainment story of 2016.

18. well it hasn’t broken into the top 35 on twitter yet which is sad because even Secrets and lies is trending.

19. A. D. says:

That was one underwhelming, disappointing. Blind Item…I expected better Ausiello!

20. Simon says:

Wow chillax nerds, I don’t watch this show and was excited for this blind item to be on a show I did watch but I ain’t mad. You are all probably mad because the blind item wasn’t part of one of your crappy CW shows.
    HOW dare you anger the Ausiello Gods of TV!!!!! But I wil say yeah it’s not too high on the tweet level worthy.
    Still cool though.

• AnnieM says:

Actually, I think the main reason most of us are disappointed / annoyed / whatever is because the original story hyped this Blind Item as if it would make television history or something. So, what I was expecting was an appearance by a ‘big’ movie star that you wouldn’t normally see on a television show, like Meryl Streep, or Robert Redford, or somebody like that. Nothing against Jon Hamm (who I kind of adore to begin with), but his surprise appearance on this show I’d call ‘clever’ at best. ::shrug::

And on a side note, we *still* haven’t found out who the ‘psychotic actress’ from several Blind Items ago was, have we?

21. Amber says:

This was a horrible blind! John Hamm will literally guest star on anything and he has. Plus has he done anything since Mad Men? He was probably sitting at home bored and jumped at the chance to be on this.

22. Max says:

Kinda disappointing actually, considering your build-up.

23. analog says:

LOL at the initial hype. So did this trend on twitter as earlier predicted???

24. Mark says:

Wait what? U just lost all credibility. Jon Hamm shows up to the opening of a letter. Literally No one would care about this. Horrible disappointing click bait that I thought u were better of

25. Poe says:

Holy cow! The amount of people disappointed with Jon Hamm is shocking! What’s wrong with you all?

26. robandco says:

That Blind Item was underwhelming. They promise something enormous but if you never watched Mad Men it’s just another Jon Hamm guest appearance in another comedy. I mean it’s fun for the fans but for most people it’s nothing. I was expecting something more interesting like a big movie star.

Also, I should start watching that show again.

27. Terry says:

I had figured out which show it was, but thought it might be Charlie Hunman with the surprise cameo, because of his former Son’s buddy being on the show.

28. kmw says:

Wow that wasn’t very big. Jon Hamm isn’t that big of a name, although the show surprised me..Like every stunt on FOX this wont help their ratings for long ( Bones Sleepy Hollow anyone?) I am sure the episode was good I just was expecting a bigger name

29. Bluegirl285 says:

THIS is the blind item I’ve been ripping my hair trying to figure out?! Do us a favor and next time you come across news you think’s exciting, keep it to yourself!!

30. Eran says:

I really don’t want to be hating on a show I don’t even watch for absolutely no valid reason other than sheer disappointment with this blind item, but seriously?! I was expecting an Inigo Montoya cameo on Once Upon a Time or something of that magnitude… was probably nice for Mad Men fans but for the rest of us? Epic anticlimax.

31. Kmayne says:

Hmmmm When I saw this blind item I was intrigued. An avid TV watcher I was thinking who could it be? What show? I was like most thinking it would be a celebrity from movies not an actor who has made multiple guest appearances on several shows. Maybe it was because LMOE is not a top rated show? But I agree with most this a lame blind item.

32. Miranda says:

So much build-up for… this? Well that was disappointing to say the least. I think TVLine overestimated people’s interest in a Mad Men reunion. The show ended like a minute ago.

33. Kelly says:

I’m sorry but this is not ‘epic’ in my opinion and I don’t think anyone gasped when this was revealed. How much did the network pay to have this be a ‘blind item’?

34. Lauren says:

Bunch of ungratefuls on this message board. Good Lord, grow up.

35. Sara says:

TVLine pulled a Ryan Lochte level exaggeration in regards to how epic that Blind reveal would be. A cool cameo, absolutely. All over twitter level of excitement, yeah not so much…

36. atxnole says:

Dying at all of these overwhelmingly negative replies. Chill out people. Just let things happen as they may — you don’t need to get so worked up over something as trivial as a guest starring appearance. I haven’t watched this show since the first few episodes but Jon Hamm is so good in comedies. I’m sure fans of both the shows enjoyed this nice little twist.

• Daniel says:

They arent negative… theyre just honest. Ausiello needs to rethink his use of the word epic. No one watches Last Man and im surprised its still on the air :)

37. Joey Padron says:

Good surprise cameo from Jon Hamm in season premiere. Glad he and January got to work together again even if it was a bit. Season premiere was good and crazy. I wonder if Pat will still be alive after being run over by the car. Can’t wait to see what happens in the next episode!

• Gena says:

I really enjoyed the premiere, especially how (like s.2’s midseason finale and premiere eps) the show found a way to up the survival stakes and the suspense without losing the humor; though I think it would get pretty repetitive and exhausting if they did every episode like that, I do like how they shake things up from time to time. :)

It’ll be interesting to see where they go from here, given how the show has progressed so far:
      S.1 = individual wants vs. community/society needs (Tandy against everyone else); coupling
      s.2 = everyday challenges/conflicts within a community (everyone’s different agendas and foibles are explored); coupling + family
      Perhaps s.3 = community vs. outside threats/challenges? coupling + family + trying to rebuild society (or at least preparing their immediate environment for the arrival of Carol and Erica’s babies)?

38. MELISSA SANSANO says:

Well, I quite enjoyed it for the Mad Men parallel. I don’t watch any of those other shows he has guest starred in, so it was quite fun!

39. knd24 says:

I think you need to reevaluate your use of the word ‘epic’.

40. Dan says:

Super lame. Jon Hamm on a dramedy that no one watches, reuniting two actors from a show that barely anyone watched? Not worth the hype that blind item tried to drum up in the least.

41. Sam says:

When I found out Joe Biden was guest starring on SVU and Gary Busey was taking on a new role I assumed that was the blind item. This is disappointing.

42. Stacy says:

Maybe as a Mad Men fan this meant more to Ausiello than to us. It was a fun, random cameo. It wasn’t the spit take worthy casting coup it was hyped to be. Maybe it wasn’t made clear to Ausiello that it was a 30 second cameo. I still love how unpredictable Last Man on Earth is, though.