Mad Men Series Finale Recap: 'There Are a Lot of Better Places Than Here'

Mad Men Finale

This recap contains spoilers from Mad Men‘s series finale, so make sure you watch before you read!

No, Don is not D.B. Cooper

No, Megan does not become a victim of the Manson family murderers.

But Peggy and Stan kiss and admit they love each other in Mad Men‘s series finale, and the final shot is one that makes you think (but not one that infuriates you with its open-endedness). Therefore, I’m good with the AMC drama’s much-heralded final episode (though I could’ve dealt with more face-to-face interactions and fewer phone calls).

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to Next Season’s New Shows and Stars

Let’s talk about what happens in “Person to Person.”

FAST & FURIOUS: DON IS ADRIFT | Since we last left him, Don is driving cars fast in the desert and shacking up with a young blonde. When he calls Sally at school, she breaks the news about Betty’s cancer: “The doctors gave her six months to live.” Betty wants the boys to live with their Uncle William and Aunt Judy, but Sally says Don needs to lobby for them to stay with Henry. He balks at this — he’s their dad, after all — but she is firm: The kids need some kind of continuity in their lives, and Henry is their day-to-day dad. Don immediately calls Betty, who’s gotten much sicker since the last episode, but she’s not on board with his plan. “I want to keep things as normal as possible. And you not being here is part of that.” He calls her “Birdie” and starts to cry, then she starts to cry, and it’s rough all the way around. (Side note: I was shocked to see Betty alive at all in this episode, and flabbergasted that she made it all the way to the end credits!)

C’EST LA VIE | Roger fires Meredith, who doesn’t seem too sad about it. Then he gets into a post-coital argument with Marie over her seeing (and possibly sleeping with) her husband while in Canada for a divorce. He later visits Joan to tell her he’s doing up his will and is planning to split his estate between Ellery (Margaret’s son) and Kevin. Why the emphasis on future planning? Joan asks. He’s getting married… to Marie.

JOAN COMES INTO HER OWN | Joan and Richard do cocaine while on vacation in Key West. “I feel like someone just gave me some very good news,” she says, looking happier than I think we’ve ever seen her. “I want you to let yourself have a future with me,” he tells her, and she seems very into the idea. She later meets with Ken, who wants her to hook him up with a commercial producer for some work on a Dow movie. So she calls Peggy to write the script… which eventually turns into Joan pitching Peggy an amazing idea: Harris Olson, a production company that would be completely theirs. Stan, though, isn’t on board. “There’s more to life than work,” he says. Richard agrees — and he wants her to choose between her fledgling business and him. And before they can even really talk about it, he says, “Good luck, Joan,” and walks out the door.

OM IF YOU WANT TO |  Don winds up in Los Angeles and makes his way to see Stephanie, Anna Draper’s niece. She’s not psyched to see him, especially when he asks about her kid, who apparently lives with his father. He tries to give her Megan’s ring, which was Anna’s, but she won’t take it. She then asks him to come with her to a yoga-ish retreat up the coast. “Be open to this. You might feel better,” Stephanie tells him. But when things get intense during a group therapy session, and she storms out of the room, Don gives her a version of the “It will shock you how much it never happened” speech he gave to Peggy after her child’s birth… but she’s not buying it. She takes off early one morning (with the car), so a very down Don calls Peggy.

She reads him the riot act and asks him what he’s doing, and he confesses he has no idea. “You can come home,” she tells him. “I messed everything up. I’m not the man you think I am,” he responds. The more Don talks, the more Peggy worries. So after they hang up, she calls Stan. “You’ve got to let him go. It doesn’t mean you stop caring about him,” he advises. She apologizes for calling him a failure. “All I want to do is be with you,” he says. “I’m in love with you.” She hyperventilates a bit, says “I don’t even think about you” but then quickly follows it with “You make everything OK. You always do. No matter what,” and that ends up turning into a teary “I think I’m in love with you, too. I really do.” He runs down the hall into her office, and they kiss. IT IS GLORIOUS. This is the exact thing I hoped to see in this episode, so even if the rest of the hour had focused on Harry and his stupid sideburns, I’d have been a happy girl.

IT’S THE REAL THING |  So how does it all end? Don listens to another man give a very sad testimony in group therapy, and winds up walking over to the man and hugging him as they both sob. Pete, Trudy and Tammy get on a private jet. Joan opens her own company, solo. Roger and Marie look happy together. Betty smokes while Sally does the dishes. Peggy gets a backrub from Stan. And Don does yoga and smiles. (No, seriously.) Then we go to the “I’d like to buy the world a Coke” commercial, which — you’ll recall — features shiny, happy people holding hands and singing about the soda. As David Clinch points out on Twitter, one of the girls in the commercial even sports the same beribboned braids as the front-desk clerk at the retreat. It seems pretty clear to me that Draper eventually returned to McCann Erickson and worked on that account, after all. (Plus, remember how Peggy said they’d likely take him back, and it had happened before?)

Now we want to hear what you thought of the AMC series’s swan song. Grade the finale via the poll below, hit the comments to elaborate on your pick and make sure to bookmark this page and come back later for the full recap!

1. Greg says:

I kinda think in that moment of meditation, he came up with the Coke ad, and the rest as they say is history.

2. Amanda says:

I honestly thought it was a great finale. I’m going to miss this show so much. Well done, Matthew Weiner, thank you for creating a gem of a show, and to the amazing cast and crew!
    And I think those retreats paid off–I think Don definitely created that Coke ad ;)

3. sara says:

I cannot believe they ended Don’s storyline by leaving him at a bleeping commune!! Abandoning his soon to be motherless children at a bleeping commune??!? What a complete waste.

• Danielle says:

I don’t think he ends up at the commune. That smile to me says he has the idea for a campaign and he created the coke ad because he’s inspired again. So he does go back home. At least that’s my interpretation.

• J says:

You don’t know what he did after that om moment. That’s kind of the point.

• Mary says:

Yes, but you can infer what happened. The fact that they showed the real life McCann coke commercial makes it kind of obvious. If they hadn’t shown the commercial then I would agree with you that it would be up for debate.

• Mike Hammer says:

ACTUALLY, we do know. Donnie boy would up writing ads for Reagan re-elect— “Morning in America”— and for that he was rewarded as U.S. Ambassador to Barbados.
        Worried over the possibility of a background investigation AND Senate Confirmation hearings, Donnie boy admitted his past to “the Gipper” in a private meeting wherein he declined the honor. Reagan told him not to worry. After all, even he, Ronald Reagan, was a fairy tale concocted by Warner Brothers!

Instead, Reagan called his good friend billionaire Walter Annenberg and suggested hiring Donnie boy to head all advertising for Annenberg’s magazine/radio/TV empire.
        Annenberg agreed.

Sadly, two years into the job Donnie boy died when his Jag ran off the road near Palm Springs after “drinks” while fumbling to light a cigarette.

• Floretta says:

There is nothing in the ending that we saw that says anything of the sort. The implication is Don gets the inspiration for one of the greatest ads from his experience in California and returns to NY for that AND be there for his kids. As we leave Betty is still alive and she expressly forbade Don from disrupting the kids’ routines.

• rowan77 says:

Someone didn’t watch very closely, did they? Don had a catharsis – as he identified with another man’s personal crisis. While at the retreat, he eventually realized who he is. He IS Don Draper, the consummate Mad Man. He’s no longer Dick Whitman and trying to run from being Don they way he ran from being Dick is not the answer. Like how Archie Leach really became Cary Grant in real life, Dick became Don for realsies. And Don got a great idea for Coca-Cola. So he went back to McCann-Erickson a conquering hero and while we didn’t see him in that boardroom, pitching to Coke, we know that he had them in the palm of his hand. Because he’s Don Draper. I also think he’s going to be a better father to the kids because he’s seen himself in Stephanie and being abandoned by her and seeing what he’s screwed up scared the crap out of him, so crisis – catharsis – The New and Improved Donald Draper.

I love how Joan didn’t let having no partner in her production company stop her from using two names so people take them (her) seriously. Using her maiden and married names as if she’s two people is smart.

Peggy made the right decision. Like Don, she belongs in advertising. She’s a natural and now that she and Stan are a thing – I’m very happy the way her story ended.

Other than dead, how else would Roger end up? Of course he ends up with Marie – the female version of himself.

Sally grew up right in front of us. And instead of taking off and hiding like her father, she’s sticking around home to be there for her family. That’s a big step for someone who normally wants nothing to do with either parent.

All in all a good ending.

• Joe Blow says:

Except the episode makes almost none of this clear.

And we’re supposed to be happy that Don thought up some crappy coke commmercial?

Lame. Horrible ending.

• Mary says:

Crappy Coke commercial? That’s one of the most iconic commercials of all time. Maybe you are too young.

• Quantumnerd says:

He did make the commercial…the real ad agency for Coca Cola was McCann-Erickson!! lol

• Quantumnerd says:

Of course it’s totally clear, Don had a spiritual awakening, he was sitting there in the group therapy like a dead man, and he made a connection with another human being and had an awakening. That’s when he hugged the man and cried, Don had finally found himself. At the end when he’s meditating he looks tan, healthy and happy, and even smiles. He’s so happy he’s able to go back to McCann-Erikson and write the best commercial ever. (and in real life Coca Cola’s ad agency was McCann-Erikson, so we know this is true) and the girl at the desk at the retreat is even in the commercial !!

• sue says:

The girl with the braids has become the guy in the Members Only jacket.It proves nothing. The only person who knows the meaning of the ending is the person(s) who wrote the script. I think it was meant to be ambiguous because it causes a lot of buzz. This thread is case in point. TV writer Alan Sepinwall wrote that Weiner once said that he would never attribute a real-life ad campaign to one of his fictional characters. That also proves nothing but it’s somwthing to consider.

• Valerie T says:

Perfectly said! :-)

• keylimepie78 says:

You nailed it. I didn’t get the Coke ad at the end at first. (Can I blame that on pregnancy brain?) However, after watching an interview about the finale, it all clicked and I LOVED it. This ranks up there as one of the best finales I’ve seen. They wrapped everything up and for a moment, everyone is happy (isn’t that life?). We see where the characters are going and while we don’t know every single detail for the next 20 years, do we need to? No. We got good closure and to me, that makes a great finale.

Side notes: I’m glad Richard left Joan. The first time he was a jerk and tried to make her pick between him and her son, we saw that he could be a jerk. But he redeemed himself. When he wanted to deny her the same chance at success that he’d already lived, and then just walked out when she paused to think, I thought good riddance, jerk!

Also, Don offering to help Stephanie out with her kid..seriously?!? What about your own kids Don? Same Don. Who you can’t help but love hate. Hopefully hearing that other man talk about his kids and the shambles of his life, triggered something in Don and he at least tries to be a better man.

• Sherry says:

rowan77, wasn’t Joan’s agency to be called Harris Olsen (Joan Harris/Peggy Olsen)? I don’t think her maiden name (Holloway) was mentioned. I’ll have to watch that part again.

• Curly Girly says:

At the end of the episode, when Joan was in her apartment, working, she referred to her agency as”Holloway Harris”. Since Peggy didn’t join her and she started the company on her own, she used her maiden and married names (giving it 2 names legitimizes the business, as she told Peggy earlier)

• hud says:

Guess I’m not to deep. My opinion that ending BLEW.

• thesideye says:

What were you expecting? Im asking honestly. What would have made you happy? Don shed his Dick image (pun intended) and returned back to advertising to create one of the most iconic ads of our time. Everyone else got their own happy endings. Even Bettty, yes she died, but she went out like a freaking champ (head held high and with her dignity, which was always important to her). Overall, pretty damn good ending for these characters.

4. Mary says:

One of the best series finales I’ve seen. Loved how everything got tied up, and of course loved Don and the coke spot. Just brilliant.

5. Meh says:

Don’s final scene meditating was a disappointment. It’s a series finale. Is it too much to ask for him to have actually done somethig the final 2 episodes other than act like a homeless person?

• Greg says:

See Sopranos…

• Nancy says:

I agree with you Scott, I think it was a foreshadowing of the strong women to come. Don on the other hand was in the commune trying to find himself as many did in the 1970’s.

• rowan77 says:

Seriously? You don’t get that his time in the retreat gave him the idea for the legendary Coke commercial?

• Meh says:

Oh I get it. I just wish the retreat and nomadic road trip didn’t take up all of Don’s final scenes.

• labyrinth365 says:

Its not only the time in the retreat, the stop he made in Oklahoma is informing him too, the broken Coke machine, he fixes Coke, right? He let’s go of the past as represented in Oklahoma, the veterans, the con man, he sees the light at Esalen. It is a brilliant ending. He wants to furnish the world with love, after he has been stripped of everything..

• Jonathan says:

Except– and I think this is what might elevate the show into genius– he isn’t truly spreading love, he’s selling Coke. Don is completely broken down by the end of the series, and when there’s nothing left of him, all he finds is that he is what he does: he’s the consummate ad man, and he knows how to tap into people’s vulnerabilities in order to sell them things.

6. rdub says:

Not great Bob.

7. Eric says:

I thought that was a great ending and (Betty aside) it was nice that it didn’t end in the depressing direction it was heading. Don Draper found himself again…he just needed a push.

8. GeoDiva says:

I know most will be unhappy. My daughter asked if I was satisfied and the answer is yes.

• Meh says:

I loved everything about the last 2 episodes other than Don’s nomad/retreat scenes….so basically Don’s storyline in general. The phone call with Betty was heartbreaking. I’ll give him that.

9. christina says:

It was perfect.

10. Candice says:

Don Definitely Thought Of The Coke Add! Brilliant! So grateful for the ride

11. DramaMomma says:

As much I wanted him to act like a grown up and go home to his kids when they needed him the most, he stayed true to the selfish, bastard of a man we all love. I hate myself for hoping for anything else.

• Floretta says:

He honored Birdie’s last wish that he NOT come home and disrupt the kids’ routine. After she’s gone will be another matter we won’t see.

12. billybob says:

Don smiled because he figured out the Coke ad, plain and simple. Which also means he went home to Sally and his son, probably to fulfill the very role Birdie wanted him to (namely part-time dad). Whether or not he ever finds true love we’ll never know, but it’s doubtful. If you really think about it, throughout the whole series, all of these other characters really always revolved and evolved around Don, but he was always static. The show ends on pretty much the same note. I mean, Don learned a lot about himself…but what did he do with it? He made the greatest ad ever. Lol.

• Aaron says:

Love how everyone changed their look and style according to the times but Don stayed the same throughout.. going off your point.. loved the finale. He’s still a Badass

13. Scott says:

Who says Peggy didn’t come up with the Coke ad, right?

14. Brian says:

There were two distinct dings that we heard which were Donsinspiration coming back to him and becoming the Don that we have all loved over the past 8 years. I don’t believe that Don would get the kids because as everyone told him, that would not be the best for them. He was never the best father. I believe that he would still be in their life as much as he is now. All in all, I think it was a fitting conclusion to this superb series. Well done Matthew.

15. MrMank says:

It was a satisfying conclusion for all around. And dare I say, not a predictable one. And that’s all you can really ask for in a series finale, at least on a show of this nature. And I found the Coke ad (complete with “brilliant idea” finger cymbals) a really nice coda. In the final words of the late Bert Cooper…Bravo!

16. Unknown says:

They squandered so much time in the last few episodes so they had to cram everything into this one- as I expected. It’s like a middle school student wrapping up a paper w no real ending because they’re out of time ….

17. Trump says:

So Don had no epiphany, no change. No nothing.

Presumably he went back to NYC, weaseled his way back into McCann, created the Coke ad, and continued to be a miserable, self-absorbed workaholic who neglected his kids and treated people who loved him like garbage.

Better he should’ve stayed on the commune

• Greg says:

Don’t think so, it could be said that the exchange with the other group member is the first honest and real emotion that Don ever felt, and with that his soul was open for cleansing, and creating.

• jodi says:

He probably did have an epiphany when he hugged and cried with that last guy at the commune. The guy who, I noticed, told of his dream of being on a shelf in the fridge, and people would smile when they opened the door and saw him. IMO, that describes a bottle of Coke.

• thesideye says:

How did you conclude that he had no epiphany, no change? He cried, he confessed his sins to Peggy, and in the end, he seemed content with himself…..while at the same time, also thinking up a great coke tag line. His talent as ad man doesnt automatically make Don a miserable, self absorbed workaholic. Think of it this way, the Don of Season 1 would have NEVER created that ad. The Don of Season 7 did, the hope he found at that retreat he wrote it into the pitch. Not sure how much more character development you need! :)

18. William mac says:

Don finds peace in realizing he’s not the only one who feels alone, unloved, and a failure (at least on the things that really matter). At first I thought “really- a freakin hippie commune-REALLY!” But giving it a minute to sink in, I get it. Dons happiness was always in finding peace, which he searched for from day one. I think a lot of people internalize their short comings and private mistakes, and Madmen is saying “we all are f’d up a it, so don’t stress”. Least that’s my take…

• writer553 says:

Don was always searching for peace. It’s true. You nailed it, William.

• Floretta says:

As Anna told him during “Mountain King”: the only thing keeping you from being happy is the belief that you are alone. He now knows he is not alone, that many people feel exactly as he does.

• Nero tTVf says:

Well stated. Don I believe always had a deep seated feeling of being unloved – as a child, as an adult. Yes, there are many ties in this episode back to ‘Mountain King’ and Anna’s tarot card readings. The belief of being alone, unloved.

What that other man said at the commune regarding the refrigerator….that speech just blew me away – brilliant writing – that man feeling invisible to the people around him…’people appear to love us, but they don’t choose us, and then the door closes again, and the light goes out.’ As Don said in his Carousel speech from the final episode of season 1 – ‘we all long to go to a place where we are loved.’

That was the thing torturing Don for his entire life – the feeling of being unloved, and perhaps not valued – forgotten about too easily. Dick Whitman disappears, and no one cares. Don Draper disappears, and no one notices. He move in and out of life – he hides in plain sight. No one cares. I think that call with Peggy shook him up as well – Don realized someone did miss him – the folks at M-E. His finally breaking down and crying with that man at the commune – indeed, Don’s catharsis.

Well done Matt Weiner and MM team… and thank you Kimberly for all the great MM reviews!!

HELEN SLATER – YOU ARE AWESOME!! :)

Coke – it’s the thing.

19. Jean Farrell says:

I think Peggy wrote the Coke ad.

20. writer553 says:

I am coming clean. Owning the fact I was yearning for a final scene with Birdie and Don. Just the two of them at the kitchen table, reliving a shared memory of oh, maybe one of their kids. Some Morricone music in background and a fade out…Now I’m crying.

21. North shore gene says:

california in the 60s and 70s is the land of second chances…Smart ending, Door wide open for more…

• Nero tTVf says:

There was never, ever, any question in my mind that Don would end up back in California at the end of this series. It is indeed the one place left to ‘hide’ and reinvent oneself.

He does so, and then back to NY to begin his second act at Madison Ave with that Coke ad, which really captured the moment back in the early 1970s.

A nice way for MW to end the series. Bravo!

22. linsey says:

It was Don’s idea for the Coke commercial. The reason we know this is that the woman at the front desk with the pigtails with red ribbons through them was actually shown in the Coke commercial.

23. LLA says:

Don draper always land on his feet The perfect ending! U think for a second he really wants to get in touch with the inner Don and find the meaning life. and in a way he did – he writes the coke ad. And, for those too young to know–that was one of the most successful ad campaigns ever :)

24. trf says:

We know the Coke ad is famous. It is history. That moment of meditation is the spark. “new day, new ideas, a new you. ding.” the smile. Of course, Dick, as he is called here, goes back to New York. He pitches the new age jingle. The rest they say, is history. And another story (series).

25. Shan says:

The actual ending wasn’t horrible, I kind of like it. But the episode was terrible!

26. Janine says:

Remember when Don was on the phone with Peggy, she said aren’t you excited about doing the coke ad? … the very last scene was a clue that his experience at the retreat was the inspiration for the coke ad… it was an awesome ending to a great show! …

27. johnd says:

ditto that sherrie…. horrible!!! Drunks like Don don’t drift off to the sunset and join communes. Ridiculous. They drink themselves to death more often then not. Otherwise they get clean and spend rest of their life’s trying to make it up to all the people they hurt. Instead he once again dumps on his family and gets a new life…while Betty dies. So unrealistic and stupid.

• Dr. Mantis Toboggan says:

I think you missed the whole point of the finale, either that or you’re just disappointed it didn’t end the way you wanted it to. Do you actually think he went ‘full hippy’ and lived the rest of his life in that commune? That appears to be the point you’re making.

28. Jason says:

It was pretty good. Though the whole time I kept sitting there thinking “I’d much rather watch Don be interacting with the main cast right now”, it was the final episode after all.

But mostly I really wished there had been one final scene verifying that Don does in fact go back home and makes the Coke ad.

I’ve just never been a huge fan of the “write your own ending” approach to finales (prime example being the Sopranos).

29. Kristin Stevens says:

Read the story on how the Coke Ad was created and you will see Don’s thoughts with the therapy guy and his realization

30. Meh says:

Awesome, so the retreat inspired Don back to success. It would have been great to see him hitchhike out of that commune though. After all, Don never met a hitchhiker he didn’t like so why not become one! Could have stretched out the series by at least one more ep with Don hitching back to the east coast.

31. Shelly says:

I don’t think he goes back to McCann. I think he makes one more person to person call with Joan and ends up making the most memo commercial on history under her production company.

• Aob317 says:

Yes. And Peggy was at the typewriter working on it. We know she was already working on Coke.

• thop says:

Or, maybe she was typing up her resignation letter to McCann, with a plan to join Joan. Right before that shot, we see Joan answering the phone at her new company, and then Peggy at the typewriter, with an affirmation from Stan. With their new declaration of love, maybe they decided it best to keep it separate and not work together. So Peggy CAN actually have everything she wanted (i.e., love, and a new partnership of her own). (Just a thought.)

• Gail says:

The ending was good in that it allows us to fill in the blanks about what ultimately happened. Realistically I don’t think a large company like Coke would go to a small start up like Joan’s company for their latest ad campaign but if you want to think that happened that is great and maybe it did.

32. Gail says:

I liked that Peggy got together with Stan. I liked Joan’s story and her starting her own business.
    Was disappointed that Don had no face to face scenes with the regulars. I agree with Sally that the kids should stay with Henry so that they have the same friends and school. Not sure what kind of father Henry is but Don is no father to his children. He is just not there for them.I am guessing Sally might step up to the plate and help her brothers. Not sure why they kept Harry around for the complete series when they basically just ignored him.

33. Aob317 says:

Don thought of the ad, gave to Peggy to write, called Holloway Harris to produce commercial. They did it together. Ding is the sound when you come to the end of the line on the typewriter. Like don fixed in the motel. The end.

34. Zach says:

I think the guys story about being unnoticed and un loved helped Don realize that he does have people who notice him and appreciate him. His life could be a lot worse and he earned his life. He does deserve it. I think that’s why he hugged him, not because the guy was voicing how Don felt inside.

• wendy says:

Disagree. He found someone who could understand him. He realized he was not alone in his feelings of aloneness. It was a relief to be able to relate to someone.

• Paul Kleiman says:

I think the guy in group was really speaking for Don. His main problem is that he never could accept love. His bug to the man was the first truly work of growth for him in the show. I took his smile in meditation as him finally doing the work to be happy (not an idea for the coke commercial). I thought the commercial was something that was done by someone other then Don, who now is on a path to not sell out true happiness for a coke and a smile. I am sure Mr. Weiner will say that it is open to interpretation!!

35. carterfrancis says:

Thank God it’s over….

36. Cate Amos says:

I know people will view Don as incredibly selfish for not rushing back to NY when he heard about Betty, but that’s who Don is. One of the most honest things said in the finale is when Betty points out that his absence is “normal” for his boys. He isn’t daddy material and he even admits that to Peggy when she asks him what was so terrible about the things he’s done. I would have been disappointed if he had hopped on a plane right then and there to get back home.
    Excellent send off for a great show. I literally did a fist pump when the Coke ad ran.

• Paratene says:

Don was actually being unselfish by not going back to NY. Betty didn’t want him to come back and he respected her wishes. The old Don would have been on a plane straight away and blundered in between Betty, the kids and Henry and just made things worse.

The scene between Don and Betty on the phone was one of the best scenes in the entire run of the show.

37. The beatific smile on Don’s face at the end was the clincher – yes, he went back to McAnn and created the iconic Coke ad. That was a good ending – although, as others have said, I would have liked to see him with his kids, perhaps watching the ad. As much as I wanted to see Peggy and Stan together, I thought the dialog in that scene was forced. Trudy? She should have her head examined.

• wendy says:

Forced is putting it mildly! Props to Peggy for her great acting chops. But I was rolling my eyes.

• Nero tTVf says:

Agree – nice job by Elizabeth Moss in helping keep that scene working – it was rushed, they had to accomplish a lot in getting Stan and Peggy together in a very short span of time.

Nice to see Trudy all dressed up that final time boarding the jet – she always had a great sense of style – one of my favorite characters. A nice ending for both she and Pete, even if (as you noted), she probably needs her head examined!

38. 70schild says:

Isn’t it a wonderful ending that we don’t know for sure. Nothing in life is certain.

39. Sara says:

I totally think he came up with that Coke ad during his meditation. That little smirk and the chime? Totally Don getting the idea. The biggest clue (in my mind anyway) that he came up with the ad? When he went to try to get a ride to leave the retreat and the girl who told him that people are free to come and go as they please had the pigtails and that somewhat iconic blue and red outfit that was featured on one of the solo singers in the coke commercial.
    I loved that finale. What a wonderful last episode.

40. Jeanne Duffy says:

He is happy! All you need is love.

41. Show of hands, who wanted Don to kiss that cry baby from the seminar?

42. Brian says:

Any one else watch the new episode of Happyish tonight? The coke comercial was played throughput the episode. Thought it was pretty funny since Steve Cook’s character said in the premier episode that marketing is nothing like it is in Mad Men.

• bobster427 says:

It was a variation of the commercial, I wonder if Coke wouldn’t let them use the real one or if MadMen got exclusive rights…

43. Barb W. says:

Don, Peggy, Stan and Joan did the Coke commercial and the opening “The Time of Your Life” photo montage,(the song used in a Kodack ad campaign from about the same time) was a foreshadow of another very successful project that these 4 did together!

44. jodi says:

When the last guy at the commune was telling of a dream he had, where he was on a shelf in the fridge, and people would open the fridge and smile at him…………..he could be describing a bottle of Coke!

I want to watch this episode again and pay closer attention to everything said at the commune, because I think there are a lot of clues as to what Don does. Peggy repeatedly telling him to “come home, you can come home” tells me he probably did.

45. Mr. Tran K says:

I give the series finale an A. This is how Don Draper is really walking off into the sunset and need meditation and relaxation. What a way to end the series on a “mad note”. Hope Jon Hamm gets Emmy nominated one last time for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series and fingers crossed if he finally wins a la Susan Lucci.

46. iHeart says:

I watched the finale and by the end of it I was thinking “I have a feeling that some people are not going to be happy about this”

47. Pat says:

I think that Don identified with the sobbing man. I had to rewind on that part to figure out that Don realized that he did not recognize “real love.” He was searching for something he had all along; thus his “bed hopping” ways.

48. 70schild says:

Favorite character -Don (complex, thoughtful, thoughtless, a drunk, tragic, brilliant)
    2nd favorite Joan, a season ago I would have said Peggy but Joan showed her chops in season 7

49. S says:

To be honest, I was laughing during all of the Commune scenes due to the fact that I knew it was going to tick a lot of people off. However, I get it, I’m not thrilled with it, but I do understand it. I thought for sure it would end with Don taking back responsibility of his children, however, in the end, knowing Don and his history as we do, I’m not sure that was best for the kids. Even sally suggested the kids are better off with Henry, and she has a point. maybe Weiner wanted to leave it open because there was know real answer to that. Knowing Betty, she could still pull through. I had read about the possibility of the Coke Ad being used earlier in the week, so I was expecting it to come up, especially after Peggy tells Don he can work on Coke if comes back.While i’m surprised that after the commercial we didn’t see don in an office getting complimented for it, it is clear he is responsible for it and thus went back to New York and Mccan in the end. Now I did have a few minor qualms about the rest of the episode, as I feel it tried to hard to fit everyone in. For example, I was Kind of surprised the episode focused so much on Joan as I felt her being fired/ quitting Mccan do to sexism was a powerful way to end her story, and I just felt sad for her in this episode as , in my opinion, she let her desire for success once again disrupt her personal life. Also, I really Like Peggy and Stan but I cant help but feel, as a fan of Peggy, the sharing of I love you’s was a little forced, as if Weiner wanted someone to find love in the finale and Peggy was randomly picked as they could come up with anything else for her. Thus, I was a little disappointed but I think in the end the whole second half of season 7 was one big finale and overall I am satisfied, if not overly joyed, by the way it wrapped up. I watched a lot of episodes during the marathon this week as was shocked by how well the episodes held up. This series was truly one of the greats and it will be missed.

• lovemuffin says:

Why can’t feminist let women fall in love? why is there always someone like you taking a crap on love?

• chris says:

I think Peggy and Stan confessing there love was a bit of series finale cliche. Them having there OMG we were in Love the whole time thing did feel a bit random and forced and it did feel a little out of character for peggy. However, once could say her conversation with don made her emotional enough to open herself up to stan. I just feel that whole subplot was nice but a little random and unnecessary.

• AnnieM says:

Well…personally, I think Bruce Greenwood’s character was in love with Joan; he left her briefly over Kevin, and realized his mistake. He’ll be back; we just won’t be there to see it.