Ruth Negga's Preacher Performance

Performer of the Week: Ruth Negga

THE PERFORMER | Ruth Negga

THE SHOW | Preacher

THE EPISODE | “Call and Response” (July 31, 2016)

THE PERFORMANCE | Preacher‘s Season 1 finale served up to its larger-than-life heroine some great, big moments, and as we expected, having been sold on Tulip’s portrayer from the get-go, Negga nailed ’em.

For instance, when Tulip’s true love Jesse insisted that it wouldn’t bring back their baby to kill Carlos — the double-crosser who’d caused her to miscarry — Negga poured all of her character’s sorrow and rage into her response of, “I know, and someone’s gotta pay!” Later, when “God” balked at taking part in Jesse’s Q&A session, the actress erupted hilariously, as Tulip ripped into Him for being a “sick, stuck-up… ” Well, you get the idea.

Yet, as thrilling as those explosions were, the rising star shone brightest during Tulip’s quieter scenes. When Jesse at last said he was sorry for breaking his girlfriend’s heart, Negga responded, “You should be,” but without a trace of attitude — exactly the way the tough chick would accept an apology. And when he agreed to shoot Carlos, Negga’s subtly softened expression let us know that Tulip wouldn’t really make him go through with it.

Such a dynamo is Negga that smitten Cassidy might have best put her effect on us when describing Tulip’s effect on him: “It’s like one look, and you’re done. She’s burned herself into your brain.” That being the case, the actress deserves more than just Performer of the Week, she also deserves French fries.

unnamed-2HONORABLE MENTION | Oh, to be a fly on the wall as Mary Elizabeth Winstead read the script for this week’s BrainDead. We can only imagine her reaction when she learned how Laurel would attempt to get deadly space bugs out of her brain — that is, by getting drunk, belting “I Think I Love You” at the top of her lungs and chowing down on salami and chocolate while having sex with Gareth (a delightfully skeptical Aaron Tveit) for the first time. In the hands of someone less capable, this wacky, awkward, uncomfortably funny scene could have been painful to watch. Instead, Winstead’s comedic timing — and her commitment to letting the typically-reserved Laurel lose all her inhibitions  — made it impossible for us to look away. (Or look at a slab of salami the same way again.)

Which performances knocked your socks off this week? Hit the comments!

1. Drew says:

I’ve loved Brain Dead since the start and though TVLine might have soured on it, so I’m glad you’re giving it and especially MEW some love this week. I get the feeling all of the actors are having a blast with this and just wished more people were watching it.

• ninergrl6 says:

I agree. This week’s ep was definitely my fave so far, largely due to MEW and AT, though the whole cast is spot on. I find myself anticipating each episode more and more.

2. Meg says:

I am so glad that TVLine is FINALLY writing about BrainDead. Week after week, it has not been mentioned in the questions of the week or lines of the week articles (I think a strong contender for line of the week is, “Because you were yelling at me to go faster while eating chocolate and salami.”) Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Tveit have amazing chemistry and they are so much fun to watch on tv, and it is nice to see that recognized. The entire cast is great…and so is this little show!!!

3. Ed Hunker says:

I thought that John Karna’s Noah on Scream deserved a shout out.

4. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

LOVE Ruth Negga!!!! Tulip is a badass and she deserves this for that finale performance.

5. Cate53 says:

Agreed on Winstead on Braindead. Shame the show hasn’t found much love as I’m enjoying it quite a lot. Bit upset there was no musical recap this week though. Does anyone else get itchy watching those bugs??

6. vicki says:

I really don’t understand why people don’t like “Brain Dead”. I think it is hysterically funny.

7. Nice77 says:

Ruth Negga has come a long way since Love/Hate on the streets of good old Dublin. Glad to see her career is continuing to rise over here.

• Mike M says:

Great performance – and it probably helps that “Tulip & Jesse” are actually a real couple OFF screen as well.

8. Shaun says:

Only 2 this week?How about Steph Corneliusson on Mr Robot?Or Chad on Bachelor in Paradise?lol

9. HAP says:

Netflix dropped a new stand-up special by David Cross on Friday. It was done in Austin. In my opinion it may be the funniest single show I have ever seen.

10. Citizen of the Internet says:

Constance Zimmer was fantastic on UnREAL

11. Joey Padron says:

Happy Ruth Negga got performer of the week! She’s great on Preacher!

12. fiberlicious says:

For the first time, I 100% agree – Negga was amazing last week.

13. Carol C says:

Go, Tulip!

14. Jenni says:

I absolutely adore Ruth Negga as Tulip – she’s incredible!

15. dancmh says:

I hated Ruth Negga on Shield but now I get that was the point of the character. Acting! Now that she’s playing Tulip I think I’m in love.