Fall TV Preview
Agents of SHIELD Season 4 Quake

S.H.I.E.L.D.: Chloe Bennet Talks Daisy's Rogue Existence, Quake's True Agenda

Daisy Johnson will be shaking things up in Season 4 of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — the question is, to what end?

Following the six-month end-of-season time jump, the newspaper headlines spoke for themselves: Is the Inhuman dubbed “Quake” a rogue or hero, given her association with a string of seismic, nationwide events?

Chloe Bennet tells TVLine that Daisy, as she still calls herself, “is much more thoughtful than thshield-quake-headlines at,” to simply make (or shake) mayhem. That things may not be as they seem.

“You’ll see coming up that there might be chaos happening and buildings might be collapsing and bridges might have been broken, but people are always miraculously saved and taken care of, the bad guys always seem to be losing,” the actress shares. “I think she’s becoming more of a vigilante than maybe she would like. I think she’s trying to do good.”

So, why go “rogue” in the first place and splinter herself off from S.H.I.E.L.D., leaving the likes of Coulson and Mack to hunt down their former colleague? One need only skim a recap of the ABC series’ first three seasons to get the answer to that.

“She has a bad track record,” Bennet acknowledges with a laugh. After her mother needed to be put down, her father was subsequently brainwashed into a mild-mannered existence. On the romantic front, onetime crush Grant Ward went from traitor to beast, before being blown to outer-space smithereens in the company of her latest beau, Lincoln.

“Daisy cares so much about the people that she’s with, the people of S.H.I.E.L.D., that she feels like if she gets too close to them, something bad is going to happen, they’ll get hurt,” Bennet explains. “I feel like she’s protecting them, in a way, by going rogue.”

All told, between this new path for Daisy/Quake, big changes going on at S.H.I.E.L.D. (including new Director Jason O’Mara and a promoted Jemma) and the imminent introduction of Ghost Rider, “I feel like there’s a fresh, new start to this season. It feels different,” Bennet says. Though one cosmetic tweak is still taking some getting used to.

Quake’s look “is perfect for Daisy Season 4, but I don’t think it’s perfect for me,” Bennet admits. “But it’s growing on me!”

1. ndixit says:

The whole ‘everyone around me dies so I have to distance them’ is such an overused cliche. It’s quite exhausting to see it played out across so many tv shows. I honestly feel that AOS reached its creative zenith in the last part of season 1 and the first half of season 2. Since then, the storylines have promised a lot but not really delivered. The whole inhuman storyline was particularly exhausting across both season 2 and 3 and it’s just continue to bleed across seasons. Also, Daisy drama has gone past its expiry date for me. It’s just one angst after another from season to season.

• Rahajicho says:

The ultimate drinking game: Take a shot every time someone in a superhero shows says, ‘It’s my fault’ / ‘It’s not your fault.’

• Ben says:

I’ve enjoyed all the seasons, but I’d find it hard to justify the front half of season 2 as the creative zenith. The back half of season one was pretty damn good. But season 3… I really do feel like that is the creative zenith so far, with episodes like the one on Maveth and the episode where Bobby and Hunter left seriously hitting home, and I can’t wait to see what season 4 has.
      I have to agree with you on the cliche of where Daisy is at now, though.

• NoName says:

@ ndixit:
      I totally agree. I loved Agents of SHIELD’s season 1 and 2, because it revolved around a team of Agents without superpowers, dealing with different threats and doing spy-things.
      I stopped watching in season 3, because everything in season 3 revolved only around super-powered main characters and Inhumans right from the start. I intended to try season 4, but it seems, that season 4 is again just all about super-powered main characters and Inhumans. So, I’m not interested.
      Back to Doctor Who and Warehouse 13 for english listening-comprehension- practise.

2. Walkie says:

She her rogue existence means she needs to wear 10 pounds of makeup?

3. Tom says:

Sorry for being pedantic, but isn’t it Jemma not Gemma?

4. Cynthia says:

Not much longer now! :0)

5. Skrull says:

The producers’ continued obsession with this character has killed my interest in AOS. Every season starts with Bennet talking up the massive angst Skye/Daisy will go through in her self-centered journey through life. Every single time S/D blames herself for the teams woes, which seems to happen several times a season, all I hear her saying is “Me, me, me! Why does this happen to me?!? Woe is me!” Then the writers use her self-dramatizing behavior as an excuse to have the story focus on her. Again and again and again.

What will it take to convince the Whedon gang that S/D isn’t the fascinating creature they believe she is? The ratings have plunged to epic lows during the Daisyfication of AOS, yet the producers soldier on. Next season is probably the last. It will be interesting to see how far the demo drops below 1.0 by the time the axe falls.

• Well aren’t you just a ray of sunshine. If any season was heaviest on Skye/Daisy storylines, it was the first. So your ‘theory’ that the show’s ratings are because of her are nonsensical.

Going on opinions in the forums (Reddit, AVClub etc), most people agree that her character has improved dramatically post-season 1.

• NoName says:

@ Skrull

Demo drops probably on 0.8, / 0.7 live+same day, 1.4 / 1.3 live+7. But I’m sure, it’s not only because of Daisy.

6. Mad Hobbit says:

well I really stopped watching the show mostly, I will watch the first and last episode of the season , I consider the rest useless filler. at the most I will skim read on a web site a overview/synopsis of the episode. this show has fallen into the same hole as voyager did when they added 7 of 9, new non “trained” powerful char with unknown background is easy to write for . 7/9 on her regaining her humanity, D/S on adapting on being a agent and inhuman. I assume the move to later time is to allow a bit edgier show. They can not go as far a Netflix, but it moves them out of the “family” hour . I enjoyed her when she was a hacker but the more she became a agent the less I liked her , mostly lost it when she used a sniper rifle to kill a villain. they made so she had no choice, still did not like it and as for Ward and other dying in the ship. we did not see the inside as it blew up, there could be another teleporter after all Fish Mooney fell off a cliff, was gone for most of a year and then came back.