Report: ABC Eyed Cutting Real O'Neals Season 2 Episode Order in Wake of Noah Galvin's Incendiary Interview

Noah Galvin‘s big mouth nearly cost him — and his Real O’Neals castmates — dearly.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, ABC considered cutting the comedy’s Season 2 episode order as quasi-punishment for Galvin’s incendiary Vulture interview, in which the gay actor accused Eric Stonestreet of “playing a caricature … of a stereotype” as Modern Family‘s Cam. He also lashed out at Arrow‘s Colton Haynes, referring to the actor’s recent coming-out interview as “f—ing p–y bulls–t”.

When word spread that ABC was considering reducing the sitcom’s order, one of the show’s exec producers begged the network not to take action, per THR. The trade goes on to note that this wasn’t Galvin’s first run-in with ABC brass. The network reportedly warned him on multiple occasions about his “ego” and sense of “entitlement.” (ABC declined to comment.)

Galvin eventually issued a mea culpa for his Vulture rant. “I think Eric Stonestreet is a wonderful actor,” he tweeted less than 12 hours after the interview went viral. “I apologize to everyone I’ve hurt with my comments and understand the damage that has been done. I am new to this and will certainly commit to being more thoughtful and wiser as I navigate all of this moving forward.”

The Real O’Neals, in which Galvin plays a 16-year-old boy who comes out to his conservative Catholic family, was recently renewed for a second season.

1. Chris says:

Even though he did a backpedal apology, the rest of the cast and crew shouldn’t have to suffer. It’s not like this comment was made on the show. If anything, he should be the only one to be punished.

• Dave says:

Totally agree with you. I bet that’s why they ended up deciding not to cut the order. They should just cut his screen time (probably difficult since he seems to be the star) or recast him since he sounds like such a jerk

• Gerri says:

Even though the poll indicates otherwise I do suspect there might be a large number of people turned off of him and will stop watching. That will be punishment enough when the rating come in next year.

• Daniel says:

It was one off hand comment that he made when he was pushed by the interviewer… and then they moved on. It’s not like the whole interview was like this. They moved on & he answered some great questions. No need to cancel a great show over a few honest answers to an interviewers questions.

• ChrisGa says:

And did you see his response when asked how he deals with young gay kids reaching out to him–“I don’t have time to be your f****** soothsayer.” Stay classy dude (not to mention insanely petty and bitter).

• David4 says:

It wasn’t a one off thing. He was a dick throughout the whole interview and even here there are reports of his ego being out of hand and him being a stereotypical gay drama queen which he claims he can’t stand in the character of Cam.

• You clearly did not read the interview and also don’t understand the meaning of “off-hand”. He ripped into Colton, Eric Stonestreet’s character, coming out and Bryan Singer’s alleged shenanigans. Although I didn’t disagree with much that he said, he came across as arrogant and obnoxious. Off-hand. How ridiculous.

• Et al. says:

Recasting him with Colton Haynes would be hilarious (age issues aside)

• Belle says:

I would have dumped the kid and recast…he sounds like a total jerk with a chip on his shoulder! Dude you better get that attitude in check fast – everyone is replaceable and you’re no exception!!!

• Isobel says:

agree the other actors haven’t done anything wrong, punishing them would’ve been wrong

2. steven says:

Can’t they just cut the number of episodes that he appears in like what happened to Angus T. Jones when he bashed Two and a Half Men?

• Rob says:

Ehhh Galvin is the lead of the show whereas Angus was a half a lead and at that point extremely expendable.

• Mare says:

At this point, it might not be that hard to recast him. He didn’t make the show (for me), rather the entire cast was delightful and a wonderful ensemble. But I’d rather have recast him and keep the rest, then lose everyone because of his actions.

3. Diego says:

He’s just a kid, who needs to understand that he’s not as smart as he thinks he is. But reducing The episodes and punish innocent people sure isn’t The right thibg to do.

• johnhelvete says:

He might not be experienced with how to talk to the media and deserve a second chance but he is 22 years old, legally an adult by four years. I would agree about not punishing the rest of the cast, though I can understand ABC might be deeply concerned about a ratings decline due to his comments especially since the average rating was a 1.12 (18-49).

• just saying says:

he’s beyond old enough to know better about making comments in public. and he’s waaaay beyond old enough to realize he is extremely lucky and blessed to have the opportunities he has. Sounds like a kid who has aserious case of affluenza and entitilement.

• BrightLight says:

Well he’s 22, so I guess some consider that still a kid. My mom probably would LOL. At that age, he should know better than to run his mouth to a journalist of all things. Interesting to learn that he’d already been in trouble with the network before the infamous interview so I wonder if they are taking that into account as well.
      I do agree that punishing the rest of the cast and crew for his stupidity and lack of mouth control, isn’t the best solution.

• Tony says:

I find it hard to believe he or any other actor doesn’t have people handling how he or anyone else interacts with the press. So being a kid (which he isn’t) is a lame excuse.

Now, should this dissuade actors from sharing their honest opinions in the future? No. But your opinions better be backed up with facts or at least some knowledge of what your talking about, especially when commenting on other actors (who, if I’m not mistaken, this guy doesn’t even know the two on question)

4. bostonjay2014 says:

I’ll pass on season 2. Season 1 wasn’t that funny, and his my-gay-vs-your-gay rant was inappropriate. We have enough self-hating gay guys (um, Orlando shooter) that we don’t need anymore, or reward them.

• Will says:

What a stupid comment. You guys insist on turning the Orlando TERRORIST gay cause his ex wife says so!) and deflecting the fact that it was pure and simple muslim terrorism, the kind the middle east and north Africa get every day – 175,000 people died this year as a result of Muslim terrorism (most of them Muslim) and there’s A VIDEO of the imam of his mosque preaching killing of gays and lesbians. What more does a person has to do (killing, shouting in the name of Allah, calling 911, declaring allegiance to Isis) for you idiots to get that he did it because of an evil ideology?!?

• Jbj says:

So he can’t be both an America-hating, radicalized Muslim AND a self-hating, closet case? BTW, more people than his ex-wife have come out (npi) about him being attracted to other men.

5. I don’t watch the show, but why not recast him?

6. Mare says:

I love that show and while it won’t effect me watching it in season two, it does effect my opinion of Noah Galvin. I really hope this doesn’t effect the cast and crew, who do NOT deserve to suffer because of his egotistical and hurtful rant. Frankly, I’d rather recast him then lose the show. It’s charmingly written and acted by the entire cast. They don’t deserve to have their careers harmed because of his immature actions.

7. The Kaibosh says:

They’re on the same network. I say write Cam and Mitch into the show for a guest appearance. Let’s see how he deals with that.

8. Amanda says:

I don’t agree with Martha Plimpton on most political issues, but I continue to watch shows she’s in. If someone speaking their mind about something stopped me from watching, I’d miss out on a lot of tv and movies!

• Anne says:

Haha I’d never watch another Tom Cruise movie again if I was that strict. He’s completely off his rocker, but dang his movies are fun.

9. analog says:

wow so the guy actually has an attitude problem huh? once this show gets cancelled, good luck finding work

10. Kat says:

He’s young. That doesn’t mean his words aren’t hurtful, and I sincerely hope he does learn from this and feels differently and isn’t just trying to do damage control. But kids say and do stupid stuff while they’re trying to navigate growing up and figuring out their place in the world and how to feel about things that are important to them. We all said stupid stuff when we were kids, most of us weren’t speaking to Vulture when we said them. Young people who are in the spotlight don’t get the luxury of having their mistakes play out privately or on a small scale while they’re trying to figure out how to express their feelings appropriately about issues that are important to them. Again, that doesn’t mean his words weren’t hurtful and inappropriate, but the kid deserves a chance to grow and learn from this and not have it derail not just his career but those of his castmates.

• rowan77 says:

Well, if this was the first run-in he’s had since the show began I’d say, you’re right. But apparently he’s got on-going ego and entitlement issues that they’ve already talked to him about – and there seems to have been no change.

I love watching Jay R Fergusen and Martha Plimpton, but I could take or leave his performance, even before this blow-up. It’s not fair to the rest of the cast and crew to lose money based on his behavior, but then, maybe he needs this big of a humility lesson, and an uncomfortable workplace (of his own making) to get it through his thick head to stop being a PITA.

11. Michelle H. says:

Of course his comments on Bryan Singer were likely completely true (it’s not like they’re new accusations), but he had to back off those, too.

12. Spence says:

Recast him. I’ve never seen the show, but I think it’s a slightly clever idea. Especially after Orlando, we need as much positive gay entertainment in media as possible. But this kid is not a positive influence for anyone and clearly ABC has issues with him. Don’t make the show and the rest of the cast suffer- just the one punk.

13. Robert says:

Eric Stonestreet’s take on a “modern” gay man is reminiscent of the way African-Americans were portrayed in the early years of television (“Amos & Andy”). Americans of a less evolved nature are historically more “comfortable” with stereotypes– it’s easier to put people in safely recognizable boxes than confront the possibility that we’re all more alike than different. Having seen Mr. Galvin’s interpretation of a gay youth, his critique of Mr. Stonestreet strikes me as a case of the pot calling the kettle mauve. He, and “The Real O’Neals”, are hardly breaking new ground. I suspect that ABC/Disney has its own ideas how LGBT people should be portrayed on their network, and Mr. Stonestreet’s interpretation reflects that.

14. Max says:

While I agree with most of his comments, I’m not in the public eye for a living. Agree that the rest of the cast shouldn’t be punished for his comments; but I’m not averse to a recast. It was a short first season, a second longer season with a new actor would help us forget Galvin. Witness Sarah Chalke!

15. Winter says:

Well to be fair I’ve heard the same thing from a few gay people about Stonestreet, but I think the stuff he said about Colton Hayes was unfair. No one gets to decide how and when another person comes out. But honestly I don’t watch the show anyway and it probably wouldn’t change my mind if I did. Unless they are total monsters or incredibly amazing I tend not to care what actors are like in real life.

16. Carrie Carr says:

The producers should do a “Rosanne”, and recast the little turd. “Hey, you look different. New hairstyle?” Could help the ratings.

17. Clarke says:

Replace Noah Galvin! He is clearly entitled, and doesn’t exactly foster diversity and acceptance with his vitrol (plus he certainly loves to use the anti-gay f word which is insulting to gay people everywhere…even if Noah is gay himself, that doesn’t give him the right to denigrate anyone else with such a devastating slur). Besides, he is one of the weakest parts of the show! Recasting him, while it may seem drastic, won’t affect the quality or success of the show. Keeping Noah Galvin around may potentially be a lead weight around the neck of the show that causes it’s premature cancellation just because of his behind the scenes buffoonery. Besides, ABC, do you want to teach gay kids that it is okay to tear each other down simply in the way of cattiness?

18. Commenter163 says:

All these arguments about how he’s young so it’s understandable are wrong. He’s on a broadcast TV show, he signed a contract, he knows what he’s in for. ABC has plenty of other actors around his age starring on comedies and they do just fine. Seems like he’s just a rotten apple.

19. nhogan47 says:

I mean, he’s still the worst part of the show. But I can deal with him to watch all of the other fantastic characters.

20. Abe Froman says:

I don’t get it. He’s on a sitcom that barely got renewed, how can he have ego and entitlement issues?

• E. D. Boddy says:

Once you’re renewed, the “barely” doesn’t matter anymore. Renewed is renewed. It’s like the old joke – what do they call the person at the bottom of the medical school class? “Doctor.”

• The Kaibosh says:

The sausage king of Chicago? You’re that Abe Froman?

21. GuessWhat says:

seems a bit dramatic for a comedy show
    sheesh

22. Ron says:

I’m sure he’s popular on set…
    I watched the show, liked it, and will continue to watch when season 2 returns. Just because I think he, as a person, seems like a brat with harmful opinions to the LGBTQ community (yes, there are people within the community that have horrible opinions about the way others within the community live/should live), doesn’t mean I’ll stop watching because I like the rest of the cast just fine. Though, I have to say, not only was his interview offensive–I give him a pass for not knowing how to handle the press yet; I don’t give him a pass for those horrible opinions he very clearly holds, but maybe this will be a teaching lesson for him–his interview was also incredibly stupid. When you are on a somewhat struggling, freshman sitcom that’s on ABC, you don’t insult that network’s most popular, highest rated sitcom…!!!

23. Andrew Hass says:

I don’t think the show should suffer because one actor’s actions.So maybe instead reducing the show’s episode order ABC could demand the show reduce the actor’s air time in the first few episodes somehow.He’ll still be in the episodes but his character won’t be the focus.

24. Toby says:

Dock his pay for a few episodes or make his character take the backseat for several episodes.

25. Claire says:

I highly approve of your use of this screengrab

26. Max says:

Needless to say there won’t be a third season

27. Anne says:

Colton Hayes was really the only one needing an apology from this kid’s rant. Stonestreet’s character is a stereotype (which Galvin as a gay man has the right to critique) and rumours of Singer’s creep factor have been circling for years.

• ChrisGa says:

Galvin calling the character of Cam a stereotype was hilarious–has he actually ever watched an episode of himself on his own show? Pot, meet kettle.

• ScottJ says:

Galvin’s character is a newly come out 16 year old with no gay role models. While some gay men continue to behave like Kenny well into their 40s, 50s and 60s most do not. Cam is well passed the point where he should have ceased being a stereotype.

Gay people on television shows do not need to be wearing a GAY label in every scene they’re in. They should be perfectly regular people who just happen to be gay. Crazy Ex Girlfriend probably managed the best job of that with White Josh, and to a lesser extent Darryl.

28. Ben says:

I really don’t even see how his comments were even that offensive. He was callig out the truth. As a gay man, I find Eric Stonestreet’s portrayal of a gay man, as funny as he is, to be quite offensive and stereotypical. Instead of attacking this kid for speaking the truth, maybe ABC should seek ways to make Cam more realistic and less of a walking sterotype. The kid called out a Bryan Singer with allegations that are most likely true as he is not the first to say them. I find it despicable that he was forced to apologize to a known pedophile/sexual abuser just because he holds power in this industry. And the Colton Haynes thing is the one thing that I did not necessarily agree with, how and when a person comes out is an extemely personal and oftentimes dangerous decision to make. However at the same time I also don’t think Colton had the purest intentions when coming out. So give the kid a break, he made a mistake but these calls for a recast or pay deduction are absolutely uncalled for when all he did was state his opinion.

• I totally agree with you. I’m gay and sometimes find Cam to be cringe-worthy. He reinforces the illusion middle America has that gay men are all big, obnoxious queens.

29. CP says:

Get rid of him. I mean, Shonda Rhimes kept killing off people who did REALLY BAD s—. I mean, McDreamy, Heigl, the wife beater from Scandal, and she gets AWARDED despite that. Because his crap shouldn’t fly…

30. T says:

He could be recast and I would still watch. I find his siblings much more enjoyable on the show and think they would be harder to recast.

31. iakovos says:

Cutting series order of eps seems a wrong punishment. Recast the role. It’s early enough in the run. The show is not my cup of tea. I love Martha Plimpton but the rest of the exercise seems derivative of every other ABC family comedy and not as funny.

32. The Truth says:

I like the show and never cared for Noah Galvin. They should just fire him and recast the part. It’s the first time a show that has recast a actor part

33. ThatBob says:

He’s not good enough, and his show is not doing well enough, for him to have this big of an ego. But, it’s nothing a recast wouldn’t cure.

34. I’m a big fan of this show, it really grew on my husband and I this past season. Although it is extremely exaggerated, it plays emotionally true to being a young gay growing up. Plus the rest of the family dynamics are emotionally true and hilarious.

Patricia Heaton has said and done some things that I find offensive, but I keep watching The Middle for the same reasons.

Fresh Off the Boat has grown its audience in Season 2, even with all of the bad press Eddie Huang has given it.

At worst I think they should recast…say that the character got a ‘make-over’. At best, have Martha set him straight.

35. Dennis says:

ohhhhhhhh snaaaaaaaap
    yeah that really sucks but to be honest, he threw his own NETWORK under the bus… I mean come on, you don’t harshly criticize Modern Family, the show that prob. made it possible for Real O’ Neals to be on the air, and except to get away with it!

Sigh. It sucks but honestly, he had it coming…

36. Jared says:

Anybody who “comes out” will tell you that every story is different and everybody does it the way they feel is right for them. As far as Colton goes, I feel like he did it in a classy way that wasn’t over hyped but subtle in his EW article. Sure, Eric Stonestreets character on MF is over the top but their are plenty of gay men who act just like Cam and are proud of who they are. Not sure what Gavin was getting at when he made those statements or what it mattered to him. He should just support the gay community and not take such offense.

37. Personally, I believe no one should knock how another “comes out”, everyone is different and for him to gay bash, when there is enough of that is bull manure. And to punish innocent cast and crew members is like CBS/WB shutting down 2 & 1/2 Men when Sheen went nuts.Just recast his sorry self and see how he likes being an unemployed has been at 16.

I don’t watch the show had no idea what it was about but sadly, this kid sounds like he has an ego that will get him into a lot of issues. Look at how many child stars have truly messed up their lives because they felt entitled at a young age.

38. John Davis says:

This is awful. I love the show but this guy was really out of line. I’ll keep watching because of Martha Plimpton, Matthew Shively and the amazing writers, but Noah Galvin just lost a fan.

39. TvLover says:

I agree with the re cast of this guy. If he is supposedly difficult to work with, then ABC should just cut their losses now and let him go. Don’t let it affect the rest of the cast and crew.
    Honestly, out of the entire cast, even though he is the main character, I found that it took me a a lot longer to like his character than the rest.
    Hopefully, this was a one time thing, otherwise I’m fine if they pull a ‘The Fosters’ I.e. Jesus. Replace Kenny during the summer and make a sneaky comment about how he’s changed.

40. Melody says:

Whats going to happen is they are really going to WATCH the ratings next season. They could end up cutting the episode order then if the ratings suffer.

41. Reagan says:

I think ABC cared less of what he said against Bryan and Colton. But the fact he insulted one of the stars of there biggest non reality show is a big problem. They obviously want to keep Eric happy. Rather then one of the stars on a barely renewed show.
    I for one think they should just replace him. The true stars of the show is Martha(The Mom) and the break out star is the girl who plays the daughter

42. Alex says:

That’s just not right.

And btw what about the freedom of speech?

• Sheila says:

Freedom of speech doesn’t make it right to insult people the way he did. And it was unprofessional & crass.

• KayBee says:

What about it? Freedom of speech means the government can’t censor what you say. ABC isn’t the government, they’re his employer, and they have every right to be upset with an employee denigrating another in print.

Additionally, freedom of speech doesn’t equal freedom from consequences.

43. KLS says:

Just re-cast him. No big deal. ABC is really having a bad couple of months….

44. Phil says:

Come on – if Modern Family doesn’t take this ball and run with it in their season premiere, they aren’t the in-thforward-thinking show they pride themselves on being.
    Also, I wish ABC would fire Galvin – the lawsuit this kid would clearly bring for wrongful termination would be GLORIOUS, completely deserved and might actually change this industry. Which they know, which is why they won’t actually retaliate. The most we might see are less billboards – which know one can quantify anyway.

45. BillyBobJohnson says:

Fire his a** and find someone who appreciates having the gig. No one would miss him.

46. Mo says:

I only watched a few episodes, but he was my least favorite part of the show. I don’t care how young he is or how new he might be to the PR part of show business… it’s not that hard to be a decent person. That’s a quality he seems to be lacking. And his apology smacked of the sort of response from someone who is sorry they got called on their bull s*** rather than an apology for the actual bull s***.

47. He's a punk says:

If they aren’t going to recast him, they should at least take it out of his pay. He’s probably making a ridiculously high amount as it is, so hit him where it hurts; the wallet. They could call it an a-hole tax.lets see how arrogant he is when he’s only making minimum wage.

48. I understand that not everyone in Hollywood is politically or culturally savvy, especially when a teen or even in their younger 20’s, like he is. I’m gay and while I found what he said ugly, he has the right to say it. I’m a fan of both Bryan Singer and Colton Hayes and while what he said about Mr. Singer could end up being libelous, he has a right to feel as he does. I don’t appreciate what he said about either, but then again, he’s probably new to interviews in general and just jumped in with both feet (and then got them caught in his mouth.) I’m glad their not axing The Real O’Neals, as I watch it and while its humor is junior, I’m just glad we’re represented (and I think he does a wonderful job on the show.) Let’s forgive and give him time to grow, both as a person and an actor. Who hasn’t said things we’d love to take back later? I was a tool when I was in my 20’s and I regret I wasn’t more mature, then. I just wish I could have known then what I know now, but it doesn’t work that way, does it? Give the kid a break. :-)

49. Jeri says:

All I can say is, this guy is STUPID. Put that on your resume. If he works in the industry he knows you cannot do an interview like that, he could not have been SOBER. Which is not an excuse.

50. Welcome to Hollywood, where letting out the industry’s dirty little secrets and home truths will lead to nightmares and career suicide.