Gotham Season 3

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on The Flash, Chicago Fire, Outlander, Gotham, Bones, Grimm, UnREAL, Empire and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Any hints on The Flash‘s Season 3 Big Bad? I’m hoping Mirror Master is introduced! —Mike
Ausiello: I’m seeing nothing firm (yet) on Mirror Master being introduced, but here’s a curious new breakdown to wrap your noodle around: For Season 3, the CW hit is casting the major recurring character of Barry’s slightly older, slightly geekier contemporary, a guy who is as smart as he is intuitive. As such, this newcomer doesn’t buy Barry’s nice guy routine and sets out to learn what he’s hiding — all while concealing some secrets of his own….

Question: I would not be angry if you dropped some Grimm intel. I would not be angry at all. —Sarah
Ausiello: Is that a threat? I can’t tell. Either way, here are two fresh scooplets: In Season 6, Eve will debut a new power, and we will finally get an answer to the question, “Who will Nick choose — Adalind or newly re-Juliette’d Eve?”

Question: I am a huge Outlander fan, and I need something on the finale. —Mindy
Ausiello: Are you sure about that, Mindy? Because, according to cast member Duncan LaCroix, the episode may run you through with an emotional bayonet. “Get your tissues ready,” he tells TVLine, saying that the 90-minute season-ender — in which the doomed Jacobite army meets the British at Culloden Moor — is going to be harder to handle than Episode 7, AKA “Faith,” AKA watch-Caitriona-Balfe-sing-to-Claire’s-dead-baby. He adds: “You’ll also see Caitriona’s strongest performance to date, as well, which is going to be off the charts.”

Question: Any hints about what’ll happen when Fear the Walking Dead comes back? —Sam
Ausiello: Yup. Showrunner Dave Erickson recently told TVLine that you can expect to meet a whole new Alicia in the back half of Season 2. Gone will be the impetuous girl who gave away critical intel over the radio to a stranger, and in her place, “We’ll see a woman who really comes of age and hopefully regains her connection with her mother and steps into more of an adult role.”

Question: Just wondering if you’ve heard anything about a Season 4 renewal for Penny Dreadful? It’s my new favorite, and I would hate to see the end of Vanessa, Ethan and company! —Holly
Ausiello: No news yet (but since Mr. Lyle’s “jaunt” to Egypt bodes well for the Mummy’s introduction in a potential next season, here’s hoping!). What I can tell you is that in Sunday’s penultimate Season 3 episode, Ethan and Vanessa finally are and aren’t reunited, the Creature takes the risk of his life (well, his lives), and Dorian has, let’s say, a strong reaction to Lily and Justine making him the odd man out.

Question: Any news on John Barrowman’s status for Season 5 of Arrow? Will he return as a regular? —Brian
Ausiello: Unclear at this time.

Question: Bones please. What’s upcoming for Booth and Brennan? —Tessa
Ausiello: By the looks of the exclusive image from the David Boreanaz-directed Season 11 finale (airing July 21), what’s upcoming for Booth and Brennan is a veritable s–tstorm at the hands of the show’s latest serial killer. (Looks like an explosion at a school, yes?) As co-showrunner Michael Peterson previously told TVLine, “It’s going to be as big a climax as we’ve ever done.”

Bones Season 11 Finale

Question: You hinted that Nashville might lose a few cast members during its likely transition from ABC to CMT. Care to be more specific? —Danielle
Ausiello: I do not care to be, actually. Suffice it to say there would likely be some belt tightening if and when the show moves to CMT.

Question: What’s the deal with Empire‘s Tariq? Is he supposed to be good or bad? —Jacquie
Ausiello:
Ask as simple question, get, well, a somewhat complex answer. “Tariq thinks he’s a good guy — and that Lucious is a bad guy,” says EP Ilene Chaiken, when the subject of Morocco Omari’s character comes up. “But Lucious, of course, doesn’t see it that way at all.” Whatever the case may be, Chaiken warns that Lucious’ new nemesis will be a major player in Season 3. “Tariq is very motivated, and he has a very personal grievance against Lucious. He’s not just a fed who wants to make his bones taking down Lucious Lyon — he’s Lucious’ half-brother,” she notes. “We’ll peel away layers of his story and learn why he’s coming so hard after Lucious. Hopefully, the last scene of the [Season 2] finale gave you a taste of that — that he has a real bone to pick with Lucious.”

Question: Is there any news on Tom Welling’s Section 13 pilot? Has it been picked up? —Ronnie
Ausiello: There is news, and it’s… not super. Matt Mitovich asked around, and the Smallville vet’s espionage-themed CBS project is sadly not moving forward.

Question: I love Chicago Fire and am a huge fan of Dawson/Casey. Are there any spoilers for me? — Irina
Ausiello: If you’re wondering whether the couple will get hitched in an effort to grease the wheels of the custody process with Louie, executive producer Matt Olmstead says, “We’re not averse to that. [However], it’s not something that they would do ‘shotgun-style’ just to facilitate an adoption. They wouldn’t do it just for appearances sake. If and when they do it, they’ll do it because it’s time.” Might that be, oh, I dunno, Episode 100? “We want a big episode, for sure,” the EP teases of next season’s milestone outing. “There may be something big with Casey and Dawson. We’re not going to treat it like just any episode.”

Question: Anything juicy to look forward on UnREAL (aka my summer guilty pleasure)? —JA
Ausiello: Rachel ignored former flame Adam’s phone call in this week’s Season 2 premiere for good reason. “She’s really trying to move on, do her job and get her life together,” says Shiri Appleby. “If she goes back there, it would be too many emotions for her.” So, naturally, when the ex-Everlasting suitor resurfaces later this season, “He definitely throws a wrench into things.”

This AAnd That…
We called it. The ambitious young journalist named “Valerie” that Gotham is set to introduce in Season 3 is, as we predicted, none other than Vicki Vale.
bloodline-ep2-49-33 It pains me to report that TV’s annoying teen epidemic (see: Nashville, Masters of Sex) has now spread to Bloodline. The Netflix drama’s mostly-engaging second season was rendered unwatchable at times due to the obnoxious histrionics of Kyle Chandler’s onscreen demon spawn Jane Rayburn. On the bright side, her horrendous behavior gave us one the season’s most crowd-pleasing moment when Sissy Spacek’s matriarch boldly stepped up and smacked her to Timbuktu.
Did I tell you the story about how NBC briefly considered producing a two-hour holiday-themed Parenthood reunion movie last year? For a myriad of reasons it failed to materialize, but my gut tells me the Peacock will make another run at it in the next year.
There’s no “Ask Ausiello Live” this week on account of I forgot to shave.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Charlie Mason, Kim Roots, Michael Slezak and Vlada Gelman)

1. fiberlicious says:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the Parenthood movie…

2. jimbo says:

A Parenthood reunion movie? OMG, this NEEDS to happen.

3. Kia says:

Bones!! yay, I’m a little afraid of what they came up with! lol especially since we’ll have to wait longer to get a resolution (which I partly don’t mind, because I don’t want the show to end too quickly, so I’m happy the final season got pushed into the beginning of the next year)

4. MissEllys says:

Barry meets someone slightly older who is keeping secrets from him. That doesn’t sound redundant at all. But could this be a future version of himself?

• Ann Marie says:

I hope it is Ralph Dibny, the Elongated Man. He and Flash were good friends in the Silver Age Flash comics.

• TheDuck says:

Unfortunately, early in season one they listed off the names of people who had died in the particle accelerator explosion, and one of those was Ralph Dibney. So I don’t think that’ll be happening…

• Wordsmith says:

Except Barry just totally blew up the timeline, so everything we know about the show is currently up in the air.

5. Lisa says:

Parenthood!!!

6. Gail says:

Too bad the character on the The Flash is older than Barry. If younger, I would have guess it was an Allen sibling born because his mother did not die. Of course then you might end up with something like Dawn on Buffy so no thanks.

7. MissEllys says:

Ah, the annoying teen epidemic marches on. Which of our favorites will it cast its shadow over next? Hopefully not Humans Season 2.

8. Elly says:

Again NOTHING on Supernatural :((( I’m disappointed.

9. selma says:

what’s going on with The Fall?

10. Cassie says:

Thanks for the Chicago Fire scoop. I’m happy to hear they are planning something big for the 100th episode.

11. Kate Garner says:

So, two things: 1. Perhaps Tom Welling will suit up for Superman over on Supergirl now? 2. We will take you scruffy anytime, Michael, because we love you just the way your are!

• Gail says:

It would be nice but I would be surprised if he appeared on Supergirl. I don’t think he has done much in front of the camera since Smallville went off the air. Why would he return to the role he has been typecast as. Still I bet it would be the CW’s highest rated show if he did come back for two episodes.

12. Marybeth says:

What happened to Tom Welling’s Section 13 for CBS there was such hope for and enthusiasm for it when it was announced in January

13. I agree with the demon spawn mention of Bloodline’s teen annoyances; John’s drama queen, nosey, annoying and bullying daughter, Janey. Don’t forget to also mention Danny’s manipulative, annoying and criminal son Nolan. Enough already. Bad enough with Eve and Ozzie or is it Olly grifting and conniving? Despite of all of these things I am looking forward to season 3. Hopefully a more satisfying story season.

• Jeenee says:

WordPress changed stuff and of course you have to stumble around to fix their mismanagement of a person’s ID and public presence. Thanks WordPress. Another your can’t trust ’em place. Beware.

14. Patrícia says:

OMG about that Parenthood movie!!!!!! This has to happen!!!!!!

15. wrstlgirl says:

That’s great news for Alicia on FTWD. The actress has been sorely underused so far.

16. Nancy says:

I am loving that Chicago Fire scoop! Thank you!!

17. webly3 says:

A Parenthood reunion movie would be awesome.

18. Tea says:

UnREAL’s answer has a dead link, thought you should know. Great info though!

19. So, Eve turned back into Juliette but has a new power??? I like Eve so much better! And Nick and Adalind… This is literally the only show I freak out about like this!

All I ever want John Barrowman to do is be Captain Jack Harkness once again…

• darkn3ss says:

I personally don’t want them to go the Nickette route again, I like Nadalind they fill more meant to be, after all she was the first woman we saw Nick check out in the premiere. Way before we met Juliette, even thought he was coming out from buying her engagement ring, he was checking out this hot blonde and BAM she wogued !!

20. Nancy says:

Does that Bones picture of a destroyed school have anything to do with Christine or Michael Vincent? Do you know if the kids are off limits as far as danger coming down on them?

• kmw says:

Sorry I am late to this but I would assume their kids are off limits. It seems to me that Brennan is the one in danger. Very creepy episode coming up

21. Steveo says:

When CMT cuts Will, at least I’ll still be free of this dumb show.

22. TVLine Fan Girl says:

Aww. You must look sooo good with scruff, ala Oliver Queen. Too bad . . . we will never know!

23. Mary says:

Cutting the budget on a new season of Nashville may be the best thing that could happen. They could finally get rid of all these randos that keep popping up then disappearing within 1 or 2 eps, and do very little to forward the story. They have more than enough wonderful core characters to work with.

24. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Grimm-If Nick chooses the ”RE-Juliette” that would be a HUGE slap in the face for a lot fans, which i’m one of them. I use to like Juliette as the show grew I got tired of her. I hope Eve gets back to ”her old self” cause I like her way more and she’s interesting.

• mooshki says:

Some fans like Juliette, some like Adalind and some like neither. Any way they proceed, some people are going to be made unhappy.

• dean says:

I like both as characters, and neither as love interests for Nick. I wanna see some Grimm on Grimm action.

• Grimette says:

I agree I hate the Juliette character but not the Eve character. Eve is far more interesting, I hope the writers keep Eve in some way and do not make her become Juliette again and forget about Juliette as the character.

I wonder which new power Eve will have.

25. Goldenvibefan says:

Gah, mirror master was supposed to be introduced in season 2.. He better show up in season 3, or imma be mad.

26. Max says:

They need to lose a lot of the characters (i.e., mainly the kids) for me to watch the new Nashville.

27. Luis says:

Vicki Vale? I get that Bruno Heller doesn’t feel any connection to Batman canon, but is every supporting character in the Barman mythos other than Selina going to be dead or collecting Social Security by the time Bruce grows up?

28. You “forgot to shave”? Or are you a Penguins or Sharks fan?

29. "A" says:

Vicki Vale !
    Thoughts on who Barry’s slightly older, slightly geekier contemporary might end up being ?
    A older sibling ?

30. Murica! says:

Too bad Tom Welling’s Section 13 wasn’t picked up. It sounded great.

31. NP says:

Yes! parenthood reunion would be epic

32. Rachel says:

So I don’t care if nick doesn’t pick adalind but please dear God I hope he doesn’t pick Eve/Juliette.

• Jordana says:

I really think that most Grimm viewers would be far more interested in seeing NIck wtih a new power rather than Juliette/Eve, whose character has become less an less relevant. As for the love triangle, Nick choosing Adalind seems like the most natural progression, given how their relationship has developed. But then again, keeping Juliette dead also seemed like the most natural progression, but she’s still here, gaining new powers as we speak

33. kaliber says:

As much as I love John Barrowman, Malcolm Merlyn needs to leave town for a while.

34. abz says:

Please no more John Barrowman and his TERRIBLE acting. He’s reaching Joe Morton/Eli Pope levels of bad. The acting on Arrow isn’t something to brag about but my god is he cringeworthy to watch and I feel like his character doesn’t really add much anymore. He’s just there sucking up airtime.

35. abz says:

I think American Crime Season 2 this year was an exception to the TV Teen Epidemic. It’s one of the few shows I can recall where the young actors and their characters were just as compelling and well acted as the adults.

36. D.BECK says:

THE new character on FLASH, could be Barry’s brother… Malcolm Thawne AKA Cobalt Blue.

37. Spence says:

About Bloodline, as annoying as Jane was this season, she really only had her small arc in two or three episodes- and they were brief scenes at that. It didn’t distract me too terribly!

38. ScottJ says:

For the second time you’re a week out with Penny Dreadful. We have just has episode 6, and there are 3 episodes still to go. So the episode this coming Sunday is not the penultimate episode except on a technicality. The schedule I’ve seen has episodes 8 and 9 being run back-to-back the following weekend.

39. Amanda says:

DO NOT TEASE ABOUT PARENTHOOD!!!

40. tyranthraxus says:

Oh Joy. A Grimm Love Triangle. Ill be frank. I prefer Eve over Juliette.

41. ToyCannon says:

As long as Rayna, Deacon, Scarlett, Avery and Will return on Nashville, I will be happy. They can start the season with Juliette’s star studded funeral with cameos from Country Music royalty in attendance.

42. If John Barrowman’s is not confirmed returning to Arrow – might he be returning to a very famous UK british sci-fi show?

• Gail says:

I first thought why? There is no one still on Dr. Who with whom he worked and almost everyone is dead on Torchwood. But then Sarah Jane’s return on Dr. Who was pure magic so why not.

43. Thanh says:

Grimm – I know I’m in the minority, but I hope Nick doesn’t choose Adalind, but slowly, maybe be season end, choose newly re-Juliette’d Eve. It just makes more satisfying storyarc considering the entire series, since Juliette was his great love for most of the show so far, but events happened that changed her. If Nick can get his happy ending back with Juliette, it’d be a great bookend to the series, I think.

44. JenE says:

Really sick about hearing how great Catriona Balfe is. Sorry but she is overrated. The strong actor on this show (if they’d write him as such and let him get on a roll) is Sam Heughan. She is really wrong for the role and mostly just looks like a deer in headlights

• Cat says:

Totally agree…really don’t care for her acting.

• Dave Allen says:

That’s curious – it would appear that just about everyone in the Entertainment industry disagrees w/you. From the show’s producers and directors, to the rest of the cast and crew, to the HFPA, to Sony Pictures Television (who are risking 50M pounds/year on her performance), ALL of them praise her talents.

45. 134sc says:

Man I hope that Parenthood news comes to fruition. Such a great show

46. Normandy says:

Nashville could drop everyone who wasn’t there from day one — Luke, Layla, dropping Will might cause some outrage though — and reduce the daughters to recurring status so you don’t have to pay them for every episode and feel obligated to give Maddie something to do every week. Bucky and Glenn would have to be kept around as recurring characters. This would also help put an end to random characters constantly showing up with plots that go nowhere.

47. peterwdawson says:

Here’s hoping Barrowman isn’t a regular so he can finally do something else and Merlyn can stop being a chain around Arrow’s neck.

48. John says:

Hey there,

Any chance you can get info to us regarding sam and dean Winchester and that amazing 67′ impala. I need me some supernatural. And anything on weather castiel is coming back.

49. Margaret says:

WOW!!! How great it would be to see what the Bravermans are up to now. NBC, this is all I want for Christmas.