Jessica Capshaw Goodbye to Sara Ramirez

Grey's Anatomy's Jessica Capshaw Bids a Heartfelt Farewell to Sara Ramirez

Grey’s Anatomy may have hurled Callie and Arizona into a bitter custody battle as Sara Ramirez was wrapping up her decade-long stint with the ABC drama. But behind the scenes, the departing actress got nothing but love from her longtime leading lady, Jessica Capshaw.

“Congrats on 10 incredible years!” Robbins’ portrayer tweeted to her now-former co-star. “I wish [Sara] the very best, [and] I celebrate what Callie has given to all of us.”

Clearly, Ramirez and Capshaw weren’t among the Grey’s castmates that occasionally… um… didn’t get along quite so famously. And, right up to the end of Ramirez’s impressive run with the show, she and her on-screen ex-wife were tearing up the material that they were given. After directing them in “Mama Tried” — in which custody of the divorcées’ daughter Sofia was awarded to Arizona — Kevin McKidd (Owen) marveled at how they’d “really knocked it out of the park,” especially when their characters took the stand to testify.

As for the future, Ramirez has said that she would be taking some time off. Capshaw, meanwhile, will be reporting back to work for Season 13: Her current contract will keep her at Grey Sloan through May 2018.

What do you think? Are you hoping that Ramirez will guest-star now and then? Hit the comments!

1. rebecca says:

Sigh… Can Shonda bring back the firefighter Arizona flirted with a bit before her gf walked in?

• Olivia says:

I’d like that! (I’ve said the same thing a few days ago on the departure article haha). I was hopeful for Arizona during that ep but then again it’s a Shonda show so of course it had to fail.

• Kay says:

YES! She was great! Arizona could use a good, solid new love interest.

2. N says:

Love to see Callie back

3. Sandra says:

Sara Please come back. I miss Callie already and I want her back full time.

4. NC says:

Callie and Arizona are the best together. I hope Sara comes back one day before the series finale so they can end up together. It’s the last chance.

• Anna says:

Callie and Arizona made each other miserable. They were cute for like two seasons, and then they just became incredibly depressing to watch. God, they were awful to each other for their last few seasons together.

5. NM says:

As much as I would dislike an ongoing cast member, I really would like to see a love interest for Arizona this season. Over the last for seasons, it’s been divorce, a plane crash that led to a physical impairment, departure of a fellow mentor and friend, helping her best friend through the loss of her child, childhood friend dying and now this with Sofia. As much as haven’t really liked Arizona since she cheated on Callie (and a bit prior to that), seeing Arizona get her groove back both personally and professionally over these last two seasons has been fun. I really hope Shonda gives her a fun and exotic girlfriend that isn’t a doctor, but maybe a lawyer or police detective. Someone who can understand her work hours and committed to a character who has really pulled her weight these past couple of seasons.

• Pamela says:

I agree. The cast need some love interests outside the hospital that aren’t storyline fillers for a few episodes. It’s not realistic that they only date people at work, well among many other things on the show but you get my point :)

• DeeDee says:

I would be happy if Arizona finds a serious relationship. I don’t enjoy watching the chief go out with her as her ” wingman.” It was cute, once. Either focus more on work or get into a relationship. She needs to find maturity and stop the one-nighters! Of course I would like Callie back! It would be great to have her back, with Arizona in a serious relationship.

6. Babygate says:

How much of a non-story is this? IMO, that tweet is pretty generic.

7. Molly Intlekofer says:

I really hope that Sara Ramirez guest stars every now and then or even comes back!!! I believe that she will take her deservedly time off, but then she will be back!! Sara’s character Callie Torres’s end game is going to be with her now ex wife Arizona!!!

8. Boris says:

like what the actual f..k, such a poorly written exit for Callie like what, she has been there since season 2, i don’t understand, she needs to be at least in 2-3 episodes of season 13. That didn’t feel like an exit to me, and i’m so pissed off right now, Callie is one of my favorites.

• Larc says:

The last scene Callie was in was apparently “in the can” before Sara told Shonda she wouldn’t be returning next season. There was no time to shoot anything different. But it worked to an extent although it may not have been perfect.

• Anna says:

It didn’t seem like an exit to me either, which makes me think it wasn’t really a real exit. Like maybe Sara will be back for an episode or two next season, but just not a full time cast member. Or maybe she only plans on taking one year off to go back to Broadway or just to take a break from acting.

9. Tony says:

Would it be wrong for me to say that I would love to see Hilarie Burton brought back on as a series regular?

10. Pandra Borum says:

I would like to Callie come back as a guest appearance I miss her already I no shonda is going give Arizona a new love interest but i really hope Sara do return to the show

11. Ness says:

I’m hoping that Sara comes back after a year. Everyone keeps saying a break, so I’m hoping that’s all it is and she’ll sign on again after next year.

12. Vickie Crowell says:

Yes, it would be nice if Callie did some guest appearances.

13. Ruthie says:

Callie it was always like a fish out of water on the show and removing the tension her character created will be a welcome relief. Sara is a great actress and I’m sorry her part was a difficult one.

14. I love this two couples let them stay, greys anatomy would never be complete without them.

15. Spikenalabama says:

I’d rather have Callie back and Arizona leave.

16. Danna Twist says:

Doubt I will watch year 13 unless Cally Torres returns in a primary role.
    I would love to see her get back with Arizona Robbins.
    Would also love to see more realistic plots and less over-the-top drama.
    I’m watching on Netflix.
    When will year 13 Be available for streaming?

17. Danna Twist says:

Callie and Arizona were a big part of the attraction for watching the show for all 12 seasons. Definitely bring back Dr Callie Torres