Grey's Anatomy Season Finale Preview: Jesse Williams on Jackson and April Reaching an 'Incredible Milestone'

Although Jackson and April’s baby didn’t RSVP for Owen and Amelia’s wedding in Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy season finale (ABC, 9/8c), nobody is going to object to the arrival of the surprise guest — least of all the beleaguered parents-to-be. “Just them even [expecting] a child that, by all appearances, is healthy,” says Jesse Williams, who plays Dr. Avery, “was an incredible milestone for them… and an incredible sigh of relief.”

Beyond just the miracle of the exes’ offspring being okay — especially in the wake of poor Samuel Norbert’s short life and painful death — the bundle of joy “gives Jackson and April both peace of mind that they’ve done something that does work,” suggests the actor. “Their relationship may not have worked, they might have stumbled along the way, but they did accomplish something. There is a silver lining that kind of buoys them.”

Now, if only the former Averys can keep Jackson’s Machiavellian mother from pairing that silver lining with a storm cloud. “I think Jackson has found a way to keep Catherine at bay,” Williams says, hastening to add, “But she is a clever one. She can be pretty deceptive, but it is, in her mind, always for the good of the family.”

What do you think? Will the exes have a stress-free — if unscheduled — delivery? Hit the comments with your baby name suggestions!

1. AD says:

I just want them back together. Samuel’s was the most painful storyline for me last year, much more so than Derek’s death, they’ve encountered too much pain in a very short time, they deserve to be happy & belong together. Fix them!

2. Sab says:

the last couple I care about in grey’s ,but knowing Shonda she’ll probably screw them over like every single couple on this show :)

3. Mary says:

I’m okay with this show having 1 good functional couple.

• cycworker says:

Me too, re: a good, functional couple. I’d just rather have that couple be Calzona. :)

• Candace says:

The writers are going to have to do a hell of a lot of work to make Calzona seem plausible again after this custody battle.

• Phoenix High says:

absolutely not….I can’t stand Calzona…Arizona started the whole thing by quickly going out and getting a lawyer FIRST without any attempts to compromise with Callie on custody….She wants to claim she is the victim but Arizona is and always will be the worst thing that ever happened to Callie…..She cheated on Callie with that random woman, and treated her like crap after the plane crash, blaming her for her leg being amputated….can’t understand why people love Calzona so much….Arizona is a selfish arrogant jerk who loves to act like the victim when really she is the perpetrator….I want better for Callie if she stays on the show….Jackson and April are the only reasons to watch now….

• Steph says:

I agree I wish Arizona would move on and stay gone ffs.. Callie has suffered allot through the years time for Arizona to feck off and how could they give Aridevil custody? So disappointing her work is more important than her daughter

• Brian says:

Well said!!

• Please…Callie was inconsiderate and thoughtless running behind Penny da Derrick Killer like a puppy love schoolgirl! NO. She is a GROWN ASS WOMAN with a child that she is sharing custody with! You can not just up and leave and move across the country without the other parent approving! Arizona tried talking to her and she did what Callie ALWAYS does…WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO! Looking for apartments, a new job and school for Sofia WITHOUT EVEN talking with the other parent first! Her SELFISHNESS cost her dearly this time!

• Danelle says:

I so agree with you…..

• Jamie says:

Totally agree with this whole comment (except the last sentence – I stay for my main man, Alex). But please, for the love of ShondaLand, let Calzona just die!

• Diane Walko says:

I was hoping the happy, functional couple would be Miranda (Bailey) and Ben, but apparently, Shonda couldn’t/wouldn’t allow that to happen! PLEASE, Shonda, fix things between those two; they’re my favorite couple on GA! :(

4. N says:

I like Japril

5. Jess says:

So done with these two and their endless drama. And I honestly don’t get what they did to bribe the writers, but how are they the only couple that constantly gets storylines when others have to take turns and get something once every 10th episode? And don’t tell me because they have potential and others don’t, clearly the writers are piling all the storylines on them. But why are they being favored so much?

• Gul says:

They’ve been on the sidelines for years before FINALLY coming into the center this season. Last entire season they literally had 1 SL reg Samuel than spanned like 3 eps and nothing for the rest. We hadnt even seen half the things with their relationship (1st meeting, their wedding) till this season. Every other couple, barring maybe Jolex has had their fare share of screentime in the past. Japril was due for theirs.

6. Cindi Sharpe says:

That woman needs to mind her business when it comes to her son

7. Gul says:

I’m glad their baby is ok. I couldnt handle it any other way. Now for them to get back together, hopefully by 13 mid-season. They need to be together, they’re the only couple left I find worth rooting for. Also, why has Jackson been conspicuously missing from all the finale promos? If they do anything to either of them or their baby, is2g bad things will befall the writer’s room.

8. Me says:

These two should just remarry and stop this nonsense!

9. So what? All that hype about someone is going to die only for that person to be Kyle? Ugh, I’m sick of them over-hyping something so disappointing. In all honesty, I was HOPING it was going to be a main character to die, seeing as they have so many series regulars now (16 I think?)… plus I was ready to have another crying session! (Ha ha).

• Diane Walko says:

I still think a main character is going to die, and for some reason, I think it’s going to be Richard (Webber); he just didn’t look good in last week’s episode, and I have a horrible feeling that Katherine is about to become a widow! :(

10. Marge says:

it would be nice if Jackson and April could have a happily ever after. As no other couple on this show can have it…..

11. Dee says:

Why would Shonda give them any happiness? There are no truly happy couples, including the ones who “might” get married. I love Jackson and April together. Just wish they were given more than 1 scene per episode.

12. kara says:

so excited for the birth of japril baby :)

13. Carmen says:

Please just put Japril back together this is stupid they been through so much let them have a happy ending already.

14. I LOVE THIS COUPLE, SHONDA!
    PLEASE PUT THEM BACK TOGETHER AND LET THEM LOVE AND RAISE THEIR BEAUTIFUL HEALTHY CHILD…MAMA AVERY…BUTT OUT OF THEIR MARRIAGE!

15. Nina says:

They were such a wonderful coupe in spite of how they got together. With them losing their first baby, sent them over the top. They deserve some happiness and the chance to be parents. Bring them back together and give them a year of nothing but good fortune, blessings and a stress free year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are good together.

16. Someone says:

Knowing Shanda and how she hates babies she will probably kill it off while April is giving birth.

17. Angie says:

I’d love to see them get back together and show how love strengthen the two.

18. Kathy says:

Steph…the reason Arizona was given custody wad because when Callie was asked the question which is more important her relationship with Penny or her daughter she said how do you expect me to choose…that told the judge that Callie didn’t put her child first

19. CB says:

Baby name A’Tavia

20. julie catey says:

my baby name idea is Harper Grace! (Harper after Jackson’s gpa and Grace after Seattle Grace Hospital where they met, fell in love and their whole life centers around)