The Blacklist Redemption Series Order

The Blacklist Spinoff Gets Series Order, Official Title at NBC

The Blacklist just got one mother of an offshoot. NBC has greenlit The Blacklist: Redemption, TVLine has learned.

The Peacock Net has ordered the spinoff, which on Thursday aired its backdoor pilot as an episode of the original drama, to series.

In the new venture, undercover operative Tom Keen teams up with Susan “Scottie” Hargrave (played by Famke Janssen), “the brilliant and cunning chief of Grey Matters, a covert mercenary organization that solves problems governments don’t dare touch,” per the series’ official description.

RELATED Fall TV Burning Qs: Will Supergirl Stay Sunny in New Home? Do Romeo & Juliet ‘Fit’ #TGIT Lineup? And More!

In Thursday’s episode, Tom learned that Scottie is really his biological mother. The new series will find them joining forces to work within “a dangerous world of deadly criminals;” at the same time, Tom will go on a mission to learn as much as he can about his murky past.

In addition to Janssen (How to Get Away With Murder) and The Blacklist‘s Ryan Eggold and Edi Gathegi, the cast also includes Tawny Cypress (Unforgettable).

The Blacklist‘s Jon Bokenkamp and John Eisendrath will write and executive-produce alongside The Blacklist‘s John Fox and John Davis.

1. Vi-Chan says:

I love how everyone that works behind the scenes on this show is named John.

• lechatnoir says:

it is a reflection of the upper echelon of the corporate world. In every fortune 100+ company , there are always John, Andrew , Michael and the occasional Susan. White

• jenna says:

ha I had to do a double take when I read that

2. Kevin K says:

Redemption sounds like a good title for the Blacklist spin-off. Wonder if there’s going to be a crossover episode between James Spader and Famke Janssen.

3. Blue Note says:

Famke Janssen as Tom’s mom? That’s a HARD SELL. She could be his girl friend. However, I will watch it & Blacklist for as long as the air it. One of he truly best and original shows on T.V.

• Gospino says:

Janssen is about 20 years older than Eggold. So it works.

• madhatter360 says:

I just looked it up. She’s 20 years older than him. So it’s realistic though just from looking at her you’d never guess.

• lechatnoir says:

she could easily play his girlfriend and nobody would notice she is older. I have a hard time believing this mom/sohn relationship .

• Harvey says:

Well she does look older than her, just maybe not old enough for mother but she still does look quite old.
        Though, when he held her by the throat, shouldn’t have shown tension there.
        Also, it would be odd if she pulls the act she pulled at her entry scene with the man’s hand on her breast…

• bobC927 says:

@Blue Note – Janssen is 51 and Eggold is 31. A definite possibility for mother and son.

• Famke Janssen is 50. She looks fantastic.

4. Now the only pilot left to go to series is Cruel Intentions. It was the only one I was interested in…though it seems like it would be more suited for Netflix or the CW. I hope that NBC gives it a chance!

• Kris Schmidt says:

Supposedly, the top network brass really love the pilot and want it to work, but they are still in ongoing conversations to make a deal with Sony TV, so it still has a shot! :)

5. George H. says:

Got kind of creepy there once we found out she is Tom’s mom, lol.

• lmk says:

I agree. I thought they were going the sexual tension route when he grabbed her (albeit by the throat) and they were staring at each other. Eesh.

6. CK says:

I liked the backdoor pilot. My only complaint would probably be Janssen’s character. They’ll flesh her out a bit more, but she has been pretty flat/dull in the two episodes so far. She needs a personality injection stat.

7. Broadwayfan says:

I heard Solomon was going to be in this series. I can’t imagine how Tom could work with him. He wants to kill him every time he sees him.
    I don’t know how I can pull for this man. If nothing else, think how he tortured Dembe. I’d kill him for that.

8. Murica! says:

So far this is the only new show I’m interested in. Title is good, but could be better. I hated Tom in the beginning, but he’s really grown on me. Famke was ok, she was a lot better in the last episode. She was a little creepy. I hate Solomon and think he’ll be great as the big bad. I’m not a big fan of Tawny Cypress. I thought she was the weak link in Unforgettable and after what she did to Samar, I just want her to die.

9. ndixit says:

I am not really sold on this show. Tom might make for a better lead than Liz but Famke’s Susan seems really flat to me. She doesn’t have any of Red’s charisma to carry the show. Plus, the set up isn’t particularly appealing. We are basically following a bunch of crooks and killers. I mean Soloman is a straight up sociopath.

10. Joey Padron says:

Good title for the show. I would check out the show since I like Tom and Scottie character is pretty good. Will miss him on The Blacklist. I’m surprised Edi’s character would be on the show since Tom did hurt him pretty good in latest episode of The Blacklist.

11. mooshki says:

I’m hoping it gets canceled quickly so Tom can come back to The Blacklist. I love him and Liz together. And not interested in a Blacklist without Spader. It isn’t the writing that keeps me watching!

12. Trevor says:

Sorry. I’ll pass – I have no interest in that Tim person

13. wrstlgirl says:

Cool, I’m way more interested in Tom’s back story than I am Liz.

14. Nancy says:

Awesome news! Very excited to see this. 🎉💥🍾❤️

15. davido says:

Pass. Can’t bear to give Eggold one hour of my week. What a bland vanilla.

16. datdudemurphy says:

I can’t say that I’m in for this….Never liked Tom….Spader makes The Blacklist.

Also….kinda wish they hadn’t made Famke Tom’s mother.

17. HAP says:

I’m betting that there will be considerable crossover activity between these two shows.

18. J says:

Love Ryan and Famke but I just can’t get into The Blacklist. That’s the worst when you love the actors but hate the show.

• PatriciaLee says:

I know the pain. I loved James Purefoy in Vanity Fair and Rome, but I could not bring myself to watch The Following. I’m watching some of the Blacklist, now, to catch Ryan’s scenes, and fast forward through stuff. I do that with Gotham, too, since I am only interested in Alfred and Bruce. It works.

• PatriciaLee says:

J, fyi: I dvr recorded this season’s episodes 13 to date, waiting to see them and not wanting to see them if they screwed up Tom/Ryan’s arc. I thought to glance at them, now, with the spinoff in mind. I hadn’t seen Blacklist for a few years, other than to check into some Tom centered scenes, but it seems to me this season’s episodes 13 onward are a prequel to the spinoff, and are not as painful as earlier Blacklist years. I’m enjoying them, so you might also.

19. Leo says:

Well there goes my hope about Famke being promoted to regulars on HTGAWM.

20. TFD says:

I thought they were calling it The Blacklist: Chicsgo?

21. jj says:

The only good thing about this spinoff is hopefully we won’t see him on Blacklist again.

22. Amber says:

I am so torn. I want to watch this because I love Ryan Eggold, but then I don’t want to watch it because I can’t stand Famke Janssen.

23. Carol says:

Hats off to the BLACKLIST writers and producers. I almost didn’t watch the show after Liz died. WOW. I was glued to every episode. It was intriguing, suspenseful, thrilling. I have not been so entertained by a program in years. I hope the new season and the spin off will be just as exciting. My new number 1 show!!!!!

24. Drew says:

I love Famke Janssen While I wish she would be on ”How To Get Away With Murder More”, I’m glad she’s getting her own show as the lead! Can’t wait for this!