Once Upon a Time Finale Lana Parrilla

Once Upon a Time's Lana Parrilla Opens Up About Regina's (Karmic?) Losses, Teases Finale's 'Intriguing' Arrivals

‘Tis better to have loved and lost…? If that’s what you’re selling, Once Upon a Time‘s Regina probably isn’t buying, not so soon after burying another great love.

As Lana Parrilla explains in this TVLine Q&A, with Robin Hood’s selfless sacrifice, Regina has not lost just a soul mate, she’s also hemorrhaging hope, which Snow White will be the first to tell you is critical to clutch onto. Is karma at play for the formerly Evil Queen? And for the short term at least, what out-of-town caper might help distract Regina from dwelling on Robin’s death? Read on for Parrilla’s thoughts on those topics, the flashbacks that made her misty, and the new faces arriving in Sunday’s two-hour Season 5 finale (airing early, at 7/6c).

TVLINE | I wanted to first rewind a bit, talk about the recent flashbacks with little Ava Acres as Young Regina, and seeing that she and Zelena were actually loving sisters at one point….
I loved that episode. I thought it was fantastic. It made me sad, that Cora was so underdeveloped on a spiritual level that she just could not figure out how to keep these two babies in her life. She was so selfish and self-absorbed, and she had her own agenda. It was heartbreaking to see her make those decisions for these two girls who had this friendship and then found out they were sisters. For both of them to have their memory erased…. I remember when I read the script, I was bawling.

TVLINE | I loved, though, REBECCA MADER, BARBARA HERSHEY, LANA PARRILLAhow when all was said and done, the Regina/Zelena dynamic was recontextualized.
Yes. As soon as their memories came back and we were in that farmhouse, all three of us holding hands…. That was a special scene. I really enjoyed filming that with Barbara [Hershey] and Rebecca [Mader].

TVLINE | The three of you were just fantastic in that scene.
Thank you. Thank you. I love when you have these open-ended storylines that are like, “OK where is this going? How are we going to get some closure to this?,” and then we get to actually do those scenes because it’s not only a gift for these characters but a gift for our audience that’s been following these characters over the years, rooting for their relationships.

TVLINE | Turning to current events, will Regina have any time to mourn Robin? It looks like she and Emma are running off to New York on some mission.
I think mourning will continue, over time. Regina is a very private person, she doesn’t really share a lot of what’s going on inside. Internally, she’s conflicted by so many things that she doesn’t even talk about. So I’m curious to see how she deals with this loss at this stage, at this time in her life. There’s been so much evolution,SEAN MAGUIRE, LANA PARRILLA she’s come so far, she’s been in the shoes of the hero for the last couple of years, so I’m curious to see how she’s going to handle this big loss.

TVLINE | Is there any “Woe is me,” or is she bigger than that?
There’s a little bit of that. It’s not so much that she’s playing the martyr or the victim, anything like that. It’s more that she’s confused by life and feeling constantly betrayed by life.

TVLINE | “No good deeds go unpunished.”
Yeah. And she’s also getting to a place where she’s starting to believe in karma, and a lot of this I think is karmic for her. She’s done so many terrible things in her life — she’s slaughtered villages and hurt so many people — that these two loves [including Daniel] have been taken away from her. We touched upon that in an episode, I think last season, that it seems like no matter what she does it doesn’t really amount to anything, she’ll always be unhappy. And then she fell in love, so…. I think she’s probably back to that thinking, “No good deed goes unpunished,” but she’s also losing some hope. And that’s really our theme, isn’t it? Hope. I feel like Regina is in a hopeless place right now, and we’re going to see how she deals with those emotions in the season finale and also in Season 6.

TVLINE | Sean [Maguire] told me that he was a little shocked to learn that Robin wouldn’t be surviving Season 5. What was your reaction?
I was shocked, but I also understand that from this will come storytelling and the writers have a vision, and we all have to understand and respect their vision. They felt that they needed to write this story to, I think, facilitate other characters and to help move the story forward. As special as that love was for Regina and Robin, I’m really curious to see what happens with Regina from here on out — what is she going to do, and what new stories are going to come out of Robin’s death? I feel like their love transcends death; I don’t think that that love is ever going to die. He may not be on the show, but that love will still live within her.

JENNIFER MORRISON, LANA PARRILLA TVLINE | There are stills of Regina and Emma in Robin’s/formerly Neal’s apartment in New York. Will there be a line to address who’s paying the rent on this place, who’s stopping by to dust and ever-so-slightly redecorate…?
[Laughs] It’s very funny, I was wondering that the day that we were filming in that apartment — “By the way, who’s in charge of the rent for this place? Keeping a New York apartment for this long is not cheap!” I’m guessing we have rent control.

TVLINE | What all is Henry up to in New York? He’s worried that Regina will go back to being evil, so he’s out to destroy all magic? Something like that?
There’s a bit of that, where it has to do with Regina, but it has to do with everything. Magic has gotten us into so much trouble. It has hurt us more than helped us. Henry understands that and sees that, so he’s taking matters into his own hands to fix the No. 1 problem, which is magic. Ultimately, that’s why he goes on this journey with his girlfriend [Violet]. And we know what [destroying magic] would do to Gold, so Gold is out hunting him down. And we know that Gold’s hunting him down, so Regina and Emma band together to find Henry and save him, to stop him from destroying magic… [Laughs] There’s a lot going on!

TVLINE | Lastly, COLIN O'DONOGHUE, JOSH DALLAS, REBECCA MADER, GINNIFER GOODWINwhat can you tease about how the finale sets up Season 6? [Once creators] Adam and Eddy told me that Sam Witwer and Hank Harris are not necessarily playing who the press reports have said they’re playing. Will we get a sense of who they in fact are, and what the new wrinkle will be?
Yes, you will get a sense of who they are in the finale. They are both really interesting characters, and both very talented actors. I was watching the finale last night, and I was extremely intrigued by both of them. In Season 6, I think we are going to see some new villains, and some old villains are going to resurface and surprise us in ways that we weren’t expecting.

Want scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. JonesAry says:

Robin Hood character was weak and lacking acting skills. Missing in episodes. Glad he is gone. Meh character.

• Gabrielle says:

Yes! Thank you! I’ve been saying this as much as I can all over the Internet!

I’m excited to see the new setup for Season 6. There’s always some edge of your seat, oh no I didn’t see this coming moment.

• Eran says:

Personally, I can’t really critique Sean Maguire’s acting, for better or worse, and if only for the fact he had been given throughout his entire tenure on OUAT so little to work with. He *was* by definition, the quintessential supporting character who never really got to exist independently of Regina. Would I like to see him in a future show? Of course, if the premise excites me. Will I miss him on OUAT? Not at all, but at no fault of his own.

• JonesAry says:

I think its obvious his acting was lacking (well for me i saw him on other UK shows) here for sure,. Because you are in show with fantastic actors such Bobby, Jen, Colin, Ginny, Josh and Lana. You can tell Sean was not good or up to it, up there with this group of actors who are all fab.

• Eran says:

Well…he’s gone. And moving forward, I can only hope this pushes Lana’s character towards further growth as opposed to stunting it.

• Maro says:

Why am I not surprised the first comment on this comes from the same CS troll who is stalking articles only to spread this sort of unnecessary negativity about characters other than her favorite? Do you copy and paste these comments, like from the various Sean Maguire interviews you’ve commented in this exact same manner as well?

• JonesAry says:

Firstly you dont need to be any sort of troll you comment on a article which is basically finding Robin lacking in character and actor. And he was Meh. i think most ppl see it, they literally thing he is some object for Regina to keep around… because she is happy, and doesnt matter if he doent get any development

• Zelda says:

You get called a troll coz you get a lengthy Parrilla interview about a ton of things about Regina, but your instinct is to talk about Robin and how happy you are he’s gone. Very respectful to both the reporter and the person who answered his questions.
          And coz you already said that in comments on Sean Maguire interview about Robin’s death. You can change usernames, but your wording and you posting the same things everywhere gives you away. Maro’s not the only one to notice.

• Josie says:

He’s a very talented actor, he just got bad material. Waste of a character and a talent. Why’d they even promote him to series regular anyway? They should really kill off Belle, another waste of a great character and talent.

2. Denny says:

Regina is a very private person? No one knows what’s in her head?
    Now I’m lost.

3. Azerty says:

As long as Regina doesn’t go back to the Evil Queen blaming Emma I am on board. Hopefully they won’t go there…And my wish for Sam Witwer and Hank Harris is that they are future Henry and future Baby Neal travelling back in time to prevent something awful (since the show likes to be repetitive let say a curse).

4. Leo says:

Old villains resurfacing? But who?

• Nicky Aiuto says:

There are those who are still alive. Such as Regina the Evil Queen (as spoiled), that jerky brainless oaf Isaac Heller (no longer an author), King George, Rumplestiltskin, and Zelena.

I wouldn’t count Hook, because the sneak peeks seem to clue us that maybe Regina might kill him off for the unfair thing about Robin.

And for Maleficent (if she does not turn bad again) she seemed very different from Regina. She wants to move on and last time we saw her, she and the Charmings seemed to have formed a friendship. And who knows, Mal might be Regina’s replacement as Snow’s evil witch friend. Maybe Mal would ask Snow about mother tips with Lily like how Rumple asked David about dating tips with Belle.

5. piebokou says:

So can we kill Hook next lol I just don’t feel like snow white and prince charming kid should end up with captain hook. Let’s find a prince for this princess lol how about Cinderella son lol

6. Nina says:

Two are the chance.
    Either A&E answered to these question on behalf of Lana Parrilla
    Or she’s the kind of person that
    “We’re killing Robin Hood” “Oh no we had such good chemistry and the story was so loved…” “You’re going to be Evil Queen again” “Oh yes when can i start to choose dresses and make up?”.
    I don’t know what’s worst.

And i don’t care about new developement, twist or dark atmosphere.
    When i look for them i watch game of thrones and i will NEVER watch OUAT to get them.
    I Watched this seris looking for (and founding) love, hope, second chance, dream.
    5×21 has betrayed that and there is nothing that can bring that back.
    Maybe it’s time i let it go and start a simple 1-4 season rewatch.

7. Mai says:

I am so sad Regina has to go through all this pain again. She deserves better. Yet I know it won’t be the same this time, she’s changed for the better, she’s become part of a family, a unit of friends, she’s redeemed, she is a hero now and as a hero I hope we see her having her happy ending soon. She only deserves that, she’s proved you can be in the dark and go back into the light. She is my biggest inspiration.