Post Mortems
Grey's Anatomy Jason George Ben

Grey's Anatomy's Jason George to Producers: 'I've Got a Job Still, Right?'

This week’s Grey’s Anatomy left viewers with the very real impression that Dr. Ben Warren will be of work for the next six months, but what does this mean for the man behind the scrubs, Jason George? The question crossed George’s mind when he first learned that the events of Thursday’s tragic, tense two-hour episode would lead to his character’s suspension.

Below, the actor addresses his and Ben’s currently employment status, while also teasing the “long slog” ahead for Ben and Bailey in the wake of her, you know, trying to end his career.

TVLINE | How do Ben and Bailey go back to being husband and wife after this?
That’s a really good question. [Laughs] I don’t know. Each of them feels some level of betrayal from the other. She’s my wife and she’s supposed to have my back no matter what. And, at the end of the day, she’s the one that voted to end my career — period. But from Bailey’s perspective it’s, “You’re a surgical resident and you think the rules don’t apply to you because you happened to be a doctor in a discipline before this.” They have to get trust back on a medical level. And then they have to get trust back in terms of the relationship. And then they have to set ground rules for how they continue to work in the same space. And none of that happens quickly, if it happens at all. It’s going to be a long slog for Ben and Bailey. The fun part is I love me some Chandra Wilson. She’s a fantastic actress and we get to go places we haven’t gone before as Ben and Bailey. These are two powerful personalities.

TVLINE | What happens to Ben during this six-month suspension? Do we just see him at home with Bailey now?
That’s what Ben is trying to figure out. A six-month suspension to a surgical resident is basically saying there’s no way you’re going to finish, and he tells her that. He’s fighting for his career. It’s like saying you’re going to miss two years of high school. If that happens you don’t graduate. You can say it’s a suspension, but what it really means is his career is done. So he’s trying to figure out what his life is without work. He’s never not had a direction or a goal… I think you can expect to see the “plastics posse” circle the wagons and commiserate about how to deal with the women in their lives. [Laughs]

TVLINE | It’s a medical show. You play a doctor who just got suspended for six months. When you read that in the script, does part of you go, “Um, should I look for another job?”
[Laughs] A little bit, but not really. I’ve been coming in and out of the show for five years now. And this is my first year as a series regular, so I didn’t think they would bring me on as a regular only to let me go at the end of the season. But I jokingly said to [exec producer] Stacy McKee, “I’ve got a job still, right?” And she laughed and said, “You’re not going anywhere. You’re not that lucky. You’ve got to stay here and go through the grind.” And that’s the fun part of Grey’s. The medical is important, but there also all of these other elements [to the show]. At the end of the day, the medical [stuff] is just a lens to look at all the relationships through. So the fact that Ben doesn’t have a lens to look at his life through is a new lens. That’s what I’m bringing to the show for the next little bit.

1. EM says:

I currently like Ben and Bailey not so much. This episode was meh. Much ado about nothing. Strong performance but didn’t really care. Too much about secondary characters IMO. For two hours I expected a lot more.

2. Larc says:

Just because Ben got a 6-months suspension from the residency program, that shouldn’t mean he couldn’t work in the hospital in some other capacity.

• Oscar the Oddity says:

Agreed. Also, it doesn’t mean that his career is over. He could always make it up the following year. That’s how it worked on ER anyway.

• rowan77 says:

I thought he still had privileges as consulting anesthesiologist (he can still do that at an attending level, just like before), but I doubt Bailey would be on board to let him practice in Grey-Sloan regardless. What I don’t see is why the suspension should derail his career? Bailey is the only one who thinks he should be ousted. Yes, his ego is larger than his ability as a surgeon, but that happens with a lot of residents. So what if the finishes his residency 6 months later? It’s not like he was going to become an attending at another hospital. He would end up at Grey-Sloan anyway. I think the “career-suicide” thing for him doesn’t ring particularly true.

3. Andrew Hass says:

Depending on what happens in the final episodes of this season next season could begin with a time jump where a few months has passed.Plus i’m sure Ben is not leaving because even though he’s been suspended he and Bailey are still married and have issues to deal with,

4. Circuswife says:

Didn’t Ben used to be an anesthesiologist before joining the surgical residency program? Couldn’t he go back to that during his suspension?

5. I don’t see how this ruins his career. April had to do an entire extra year of residency so why can’t ben recover from 6 months?

• Al says:

George O’Malley had to redo a year of his internship (at first), so yes, I don’t see why this has to be an “all or nothing” kind of deal. Doctors miss time for all kinds of reasons, especially on this show. Izzy (post Denny’s death and when she had cancer), Meredith (recovering from being beaten), Yang (PTSD), never mind anyone else who took time off post the plane crash, shooting, or various accidents they’ve all been in. Sheesh, Karev was right – that place really is Seattle Grey Mercy Death…

BTW, I just have to point out that some of the way Bailey’s acting has got to be because she feels a bit responsible, too. I mean, she is the one that called the Code Pink. If she hadn’t, the hospital wouldn’t have gone into lock down and none of this would have happened. Yes, she made a judgement call, and no she shouldn’t feel guilty, but human nature being what it is…well, I just think that this would be interesting to watch this play out.

6. Mike says:

I have never worked in a hospital, but shouldn’t all doctors and nurses have a swipe card that lets them get through locked doors in a Code Pink emergency? It would seem foolish to lock everyone down in a place where there are life and death emergencies happening all the time. No one knows how long a Code Pink will last.

• Brian says:

It’s been 16 years since I worked in a (large) hospital so I acknowledge that things may have changed, but in my time this would not have happened. The Director of security was right. A Code Pink is a nuclear option. However, movement through out the hospital was never restricted and patient care was never compromised. While we never had an actual Code, I participated in several drills. The most glaring thing that most people would notice during a code pink is several staff members, mostly security, facility and non-medical personnel rushing through the facility to cover exits and that they would not be able to exit the building.

7. Linda Mosley says:

Can Ben still practice in his other discipline, anesthesiologist?

8. Jim says:

I think what should happen is that Bailey is ordered to appear before the medical board regarding her violation of the patient’s DNR order. Her license to practice medicine suspended for six weeks while an investigation takes place. As she exits the board hearing, she is served with divorce papers. Further, when she returns to her office at the hospital, she is served with another set of papers for a lawsuit (initiated by Warren) against the hospital and specifically naming her, because of her wrongful suspension of Warren.

It will come out over the course of court hearings that the three doctors on the board did not recommend disciplinary action against Warren, that she acted with malice toward her husband.

The only suitable outcome from all of this is that Warren will win his lawsuit against the hospital and Bailey (awarded about $5 million) and that Bailey will get a six month suspension of her medical license and then be only allowed to practice medicine for a year following that. The hospital will pay the award to Warren (who will enter private practice out of necessity) and that Warren is granted the divorce and sole custody of their son.

9. Jaquie says:

I catch this show every so often when there is absolutely nothing else on at the moment and I have some down time. The reason for that, is that EVERY woman on it is written like a 10-year-old lunatic that never knows what she wants. Based on that, I caught the episode I guess before this one where the hospital was on Code Pink (and REALLY? Not just lock the outer doors but close off all inside mobility – no way in real life. The hospital would be negligent in that case.) and I really liked i. It was very graphic I thought, and made me look away a couple of times but I liked it. For once it wasn’t about one of the females having a really dumb breakdown of some sort and throughout the whole thing I thought he was covering for DeLuca. Good episode that one and I hope they keep this actor on.

10. Jenny says:

What kills me is that in real life, Bailey would never be her husband’s boss, much less in charge of deciding the fate of his career. Weber should have taken the lead on this one. Very unrealistic.

11. I did not like the way that Bailey threw her own husband under the bus. She called the Code Pink so some of it was on her too. Also, why would doors internally close 2 doctors in one section in a hospital? Dr. Warren being in those situations were not of his own doing. They should have been able to go from section to section within the hospital. I hope he leaves her since being chief is so important to her. I know that she felt she had to punish him, but six months? It shows that she still thinks of him as less than her.