NCIS Casts Sarah Clarke

NCIS Casts 24 Vet Sarah Clarke as Special Agent Tess Monroe

Hmm… Once a double agent always a double agent?

Former 24 traitor Sarah Clarke is joining NCIS in the potentially series-regular role of FBI Special Agent Tess Monroe, TVLine has learned.

As TVLine first teased back in January, Tess is a quick-witted, tough and shrewd agent who recently transferred to D.C. from New York City. A multiple divorcée who’s as sexy as she is strong, Tess has no kids so she views her fellow agents as family. Beneath a no-nonsense shell, Tess has a big heart. She believes in honor and justice and doing what’s right. And she’ll fight to protect those values, and her team, with fierce determination and a tinge of sarcasm along the way.

Clarke, who also played a federal agent on Covert Affairs, will guest-star in this season’s final two episodes and has an option to return as a full-fledged regular in Season 14.

“We feel so fortunate to have Sarah Clarke joining us to play Tess,” said NCIS EP/Showrunner Gary Glasberg in a statement. “I’ve been a fan of her’s going back to 24 and, more recently, Bosch. She’s a gifted actress, a total pro, and we can’t wait to introduce her to our NCIS family and have some fun.”

Tess is one of two fresh faces NCIS is adding to its canvas in advance of Michael Weatherly’s exit. The other new character, MI-6 intel agent Clayton, is still being cast.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Jim says:

I already don’t trust her.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Just wait until she meets SECNAV Porter!

• Paige says:

Oh my goodness!!! The main reason Nina (Sarah) is one of TV’s all time greatest villains is right in front of her. I already posted it will take awhile to get past her villainess to accept her as Tess, but now even more so. Yowsers!!

2. Andrew Hass says:

I think this is good casting by NCIS.However the show may want to make sure her character works before deciding to make her a regular for next season.Plus i’m assuming the 2 final episodes this season will be a 2 parter.

• Chicago Dan says:

That’s why it’s an ‘option’ for S14. If her character tests poorly, she won’t be there. It’s smart to set it up that way.

3. Murica! says:

I didn’t like her in Covert Affairs and I don’t trust her. I bet she’s going to betray the team in the future.

4. Jeanne says:

IMO they could have waited until S14 to bring in new characters. This just takes away more time from Michael Weatherly’s final episodes. I want to see him not new agents.

• Ginger Rogue says:

Every episode has new characters. They make up the “story of the week”. You wouldn’t know she was supposed to be a cast regular unless they told you. There is no reason you should see her as any differently than any other guest actress there to tell the story. No reason she should have any bearing on Weatherly’s exit.

• dlraetz says:

Maybe this is part of Tony’s next step. Maybe something she says or does has Tony going to the FBI in NY

5. Jason says:

Every role she has has since 24, everyone just assumes she’s up to no good. It’ll be nice to see her portray something different. The character discription sounds like the writers are designing a character who would pair off well with Gibbs. Maybe they want to put a little romantic tension in his life.

• Leo says:

That could be, we’ll know with the first 3 episodes if that’s what the writers are angeling for. Personally, I’m still pulling for Holly Snow as Gibbs perfect match.

6. Why can’t they bring Borin in as Tony’s replacement??

7. ndixit says:

I knew CBS was overreaching when they said they were looking for a movie star who was potentially looking to come to tv.

8. Moonlight4evr says:

I do not like her acting all. Covert Affairs was same as 24. The only role she was partially exceptable in was on The Tomorrow People. This was a total miscast. I only watch NCIS when the commercials look interesting.

I think Willam Levy should replace Tony. I would definitely tune back in to the flagship show.

I watch NCIS NO and LA faithfully.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

Sarah Clarke should be a great addition to the cast of NCIS come next season. I’m always a huge fan of 24 since the beginning and I know how bad her character Nina Myers can be.

10. DELETED says:

11. Steph says:

I know Amazon hasn’t renewed “Bosch” yet but I’m assuming they will. Will she be able to do both? I really don’t want her leaving that show. She has great chemistry with Titus Welliver.

• Walter Freeman says:

Seems like more and more studios are willing to let actors cross lines and do multiple projects, if only ’cause many shows are half-season compared to old network standards. I’d be surprised if she agreed to do NCIS now as a potential lead without long-term commitment, and no allowance to continue doing Bosch, but you never know.

• johnhelvete says:

According to another source you are correct, part of Clarke’s deal with NCIS allows her to do 3 episodes of Bosch.

12. Paige says:

It will take some time to accept her in that role due to past roles, although I’m sure she’ll do a great job.

Her character on 24 is considered one of TV’s all time biggest villains so it will be an adjustment to see her as someone who believes in honor and justice. If she’s half as convincing as Tess as she was Nina; she’ll be a fantastic addition.

• So agree…on everything…can’t wait…really excited to see her appear.

• Paige says:

I forgot that Leslie Hope (SecNav) also played Teri Bauer until I took a closer look at Matt’s pick above of Leslie and Sarah from 24. It’s a bit ironic.

• Pete says:

I’ve neither heard of her, nor seen her in anything she has done previously – so she is new to me – which is good. For me that will help in accepting her and the change that is coming.

• Emily says:

Same. I have no idea who she is and I’m not planning on watching anything she’s been in, so I’ll give her a chance. Looking forward to meeting her!

13. Annette says:

Sounds like this new FBI agent will take more screen time away from Tony. Which is what I’m hoping doesn’t happen.

• okay first Tony—Michael Weatherly has my guess has asked for less screen time because he’s actually filming Bull pilot right now…Second he’s got his own tony centric episode in April and alot of 303-306 will be swan song….I think judging something you haven’t seen yet is ridiculous….so many judge last nights episode before it aired got a huge slap in the face when it turned out to be nothing like they thought….Give it a break…I like the fact we are gonna meet her finally….

• Annette says:

Well, it went from her appearing only in the season finale to now the final two episodes. As for Michael, he’s due back on set on April 7th, which is when they’ll film the final two episodes of the season. And they did say we would also meet the male agent as well & Senior will be back for season finale. So I hope they have a good script for the final 2 episodes cause this should be about Tony. They can focus on new agents next season.

14. Jared Munson says:

She’s a good actress, but from the previous article, I really wouldn’t call her a “named” actress

• actually she is a named actress…she also has had roles on movies most known for Twilight Movie series…plus known for role on 24….I knew who she was the minute her name was announced…and so did many others. I think too many people thought named really meant big movie star…

• johnhelvete says:

I recall the article and thinking if Criminal Minds can get a Jeanne Tripplehorn for two seasons or a Jennifer Love Hewitt for one, NCIS should be able to get a similar “name” actress. I agree Clarke is a good actress but perhaps not quite the “name” that CBS thought they were going to get.

• Normandy says:

Jennifer Love Hewitt may be a name, but she’s not exactly getting flooding with acting offers these days.

Jeanne Tripplehorn’s film career never really took off despite the hot start in The Firm and Basic Instinct. Big Love has been her biggest thing.

• Whatever says:

But they are both have higher profile than Clarke. Both has been leading ladies of the shows they appeared. Clarke’s role with NCIS is potentially that.

• Jerri says:

JLH isn’t exactly a good example considering how she had her own show and would rather have it canceled than not when the creative team didn’t agree to her boy toy in real life to being her character’s baby daddy on screen as well.

• Jeanne says:

Neither would I, and it’s not what they implied they wanted.

• Pete says:

Of course you have been involved in the casting and know that they couldn’t get a “bigger name”?
        Perhaps they decided that they liked her better than some better know actresses?

• John NYC says:

Jennifer Lawrence insisting the character be armed with a bow was possibly a deal breaker…..

• no where does it state even in tvline’s own article about casting call did they say bigger name….it says named actress…usually that tends to mean someone who has done movies and tv and people know her ….I recognized her name the moment was announced from 24….then from the twilight movies and now bosch…some of these people read something and don’t read it properly…if they wanted a big movie star named actress they would have said it.

15. Andy says:

Welp, you know she’s secretly evil.

16. Mags says:

I thought they were planning to hire a movie star for this part.

• DannyT says:

They did. Seriously, do you realize how insulting you sound–or is that what you are going for? The woman is an actress who has worked in both movies and television. You haven’t even seen her in this part yet and already your attitude is insulting–wow.

• Mags says:

Yeah, i read their press release where they said they wanted someone with a big name.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Wasn’t a press release. Was something reported by TVLINE.

• I don’t think you used “big name” though Matt…you used named actress….which in part is who she is…she’s experienced and has done movies and tv shows…and is known for both. I know Matt Carter used big named movie actress but he made it clear he heard it from a rumor

• Jeanne says:

That’s what they said! Guess none wanted the part.

17. Shona says:

I must be one of the few people in the world that hasn’t actually watched 24, or Covert Affair, or the Twilight Movies. The only show I’ve seen her in is Bosch and I thought she was very good in that. It doesn’t matter to me if she is a well known name or not. As long as the character is worth watching and holds my interest then that’s all that I’m concerned about. Looking forward to seeing what she brings to the table.

18. Clearly not the “big name” I was expecting, since I never watched 24, so I’ve never heard of her before.
    But hey, I’m a good guy, so I’ll just wait and see !

19. Mary Kelly says:

No one can replace Ziva and NOW Tony….

20. doh says:

Well, they haven’t gotten a new addition right since Ziva why should we expect them to now. They shouldn’t have killed off Dornegut (spelling?), he would have been interesting as more of a regular than what they are adding now.

21. Jerry says:

Why do they have to add people from other agencies? Just and NCIS agents to the team. This show doesn’t seem to know the Navy had a large contingent of NCIS agents in Hamption Roads/Norfolk. They wouldn’t be sending people from HQ NCIS every time there is a crime in Norfolk. The NCIS LA thing is totally unbelievable, again because of large NCIS contingents at Camp Pendleton and in San Diego.

• Shaun says:

NCIS LA handles terrorism mostly….NCIS handles navy murders.So they each have their own track.

• John NYC says:

The initial concept for the group was a diverse background: Gibbs from the Marines, Tony from the Baltimore PD, Kate Todd from the Secret Service, later Ziva from Mossad, only the slightly later addition in the first season addition of McGee was an NCIS transfer. Even the mothership: Rabb was a Naval Aviator and not a career lawyer, at one point his boss was a former SEAL…

A choice they embedded in the show’s dna a long time ago.

Entertainment shows focus on a crew group of characters: this and the others aren’t documentaries where they’d bring in an entirely new cast to play agents in other offices for “authenticity”. That said the reason for L.A.’s existence at all has never quite gelled for me. More intelligence than Investigative… for that “I” in their acronym.

• LA always said they were an office of Special Projects. They have a bigger scope of stuff to work on, and not just the navy murders. NOLA seems to be a hybrid. They have the murders, but terrorism shows up every so often. Moreso than NCIS.

22. Good choice. Great to have a female SFA. Does sound a lot like Gibbs already.

23. Mitch says:

I see where Michael Weatherly is going to be starring in another show concerning Dr. Phil’s experiences. One piece of advice Michael… STAY THE HELL WHERE YOU ARE !!!! This show has the word CANCELLED all over it! Some people just don’t know how good they have it until they make the stupid mistake of jumping to another ship just to be the headliner.!

• John NYC says:

I’m not that certain: it sounds like a fairly straightforward legal drama from the newish perspective of a jury consulting firm rather than the law firm side of things. Cases of the Week etc. P{people love their cop and legal shows….

24. Lisa says:

YES!!! I like this casting. Loved her on 24.

25. Jo Gamma says:

Didn’t like her on 24 not happy now

26. HAP says:

Have only gotten to the Bosch episode where she and the daughter moved into Bosch’s place. However, up until now, I felt she had been greatly underutilized in Bosch.

And, in some way, the folks who don’t like her, mostly because of the characters she has played, just affirm that she is a good actress.

27. Steffi says:

I read the headline as “Sarah Chalke”.
    What a letdown.

28. M says:

As long as the writing is good, don’t care. New additions with strong stories is always good for the mix. Now if better writers were assigned to NCIS Orleans, that would be a plus.

29. Natalie Strumbeck says:

“Tess Monroe” character sounds perfectly boring – what are her unique qualities? I don’t mean to be negative, but how can she top Ziva?

30. Loran George says:

She has the same facial bone structure (pretty much) of the current Blondie. Must be a soft corner from the one casting the role. You could dress both up with the right make up and they would look like sisters.

31. Alyssa says:

Uh oh, SECNAV better stay away from her. Haha, just kidding.

32. Sue Kirk says:

Replace Michael with Diane Neal!!

33. Jan says:

Great casting. This is going to be a fun ride.

34. kath says:

not going to be good if tony’s leaving unless his going to catch up with ziva that would be a great ending bit of romance

35. Cindy says:

She went to her prom with a then unknown Jon Hamm (friend of her brother) and is married to Xander Berkley (24, The Walking Dead). She’s got her TV cred!

36. Bill says:

If they want a new regular, I wish they’d just have Diane Neal’s agent Borin move from CGIS to NCIS already.

The fans all love her and her character.

37. Chloe says:

Nina was one of my favorite characters on 24. I like the actress so I’m happy about this. Now if they could just add Carlos Bernard, too…..

38. bobC927 says:

Play nice, Nina Myers.

39. Agent86 says:

Does this mean she won’t return to Bosch or that Bosch won’t return?

40. denise says:

I know actors want to go and do other projects! I just don’t know If I can deal again being without Michael Weatherly (Tony) I am obsessed with show! I can Identify with all the Characters, sad to say!! I miss Cote DE Pablo(Ziva) now we have to deal losing Tony NO MORE- MCGOO, MCGEEK. ELF LORD, MC DOWNLOAD, MCTEASE…AND SO FORTH, HE WILL BE TRULY MISSED, 13 YEARS, WE JUST TRYING STILL GET USED TO ZIVA GONE!!

• Leo says:

GG’s writers are some of the best in the business, within time the new agents with the fans will be absorbed into stories that puts their lives on the line and though we will never forget Tony or Ziva, we will move on an accept them as part of Gibbs team and family. The day Mark Harmon leaves is the day NCIS ends.

• Trey says:

I actually disagree. I think the writers have written very poorly for Gibbs this past year or so. I think they could write Gibbs off and promote DiNozzo to team leader without a problem. Obviously with DiNozzo leaving, that is not an option. I just think Gibbs is being taken down the crazy train direction too far, and they are not going to be able to keep him on the show without the whole show going off the deep end. Tony and McGee are the two “irreplacable” characters in my book. I really hope next season will recapture the magic that it seemed to have during the first 12 seasons. If the first season was a awkward as this season has been, I never would have kept watching it.
        As for the whole “named actor” debate that has been going on, I think bringing in someone who has been in fewer well known roles is better so the fans do not have preconceived notions about the actor, or see them in their other role while watching NCIS.
        Finally, I don’t think the devout Ziva fans or haters will be commenting as much now that Tony is leaving.

41. Beverly Palo says:

I would like to see Eric Zmada who played Greg Sanders on CSI JOIN the cast. Sure miss him

42. chuckfanforever says:

Boring!!!! This is not even an average casting choice…..

43. Joan says:

who is Tess replacing ?

44. scmaize says:

It’s “hers”, not “her’s”. That’s not even a word. Maybe hire a professional writer here and there.

45. marje says:

I cannot think of the blondes name. I never liked her and feel she does not fit in well. I still miss Ziva. I am bad with names but never forget a face.

46. SoWench says:

No no no too pushy. Please no!!!!

47. Marty Morgan says:

Hate this character. Please don’t do this to NCIS. Also hate the Brit agent. Just doesn’t work. Not at all. Not now. Not ever.

48. j graham says:

just watched may 13/16 episode and our opinion is big mistake in bringing her into the show. Not believable. Show this week very disappointing. Hope it’s not going the route of 24 or bye, bye.