NCIS Renewed for Season 14

NCIS Renewed for Season 14 and 15

NCIS isn’t going anywhere anytime soon: CBS on Monday renewed the long-running procedural for Season 14 and 15.

“It’s extraordinary that in its 13th season and with over 300 episodes to its credit, NCIS continues to excel at such a high level on a global scale,” said Glenn Geller, President, CBS Entertainment, in a statement. “It is testimony to an amazing cast, led on and off the screen by the exceptional Mark Harmon, for skillfully bringing this universally appealing team of heroes to life; and to Gary Glasberg and his writers for crafting compelling stories that feature NCIS’s signature blend of mystery, quirk, drama and comedy every single week.”

The two-year pickup came after CBS inked a new deal (also for two years) with leading man Mark Harmon.

NCIS this season is averaging 17.1 million total viewers and a 2.3 demo rating — ranking No. 1 and No. 5 among all broadcast dramas. Those tallies swell to 21 mil and 3.2 with Live+7 DVR playback.

For Season 14, NCIS is aiming to add two series regulars — including a female FBI Special Agent who has recently transferred to D.C. from New York City’s Counter-Terrorism Unit. The fresh blood is intended to fill the void left by Michael Weatherly, who is departing the show in May after 13 seasons.

In a recent TVLine poll, 32 percent of respondents expressed their wish that Weatherly’s Tony reunite with former agent Ziva David (played by Cote de Pablo) before riding off into the sunset, while 22 percent preferred to see him leave D.C. to head up his own NCIS team elsewhere.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. KeithH says:

I thought it was doomed after CdP left… how can this be?? Two years… WoooHooo!!!

2. Lisa says:

Seems premature – not going to be the same show without Michael Weatherly/DiNozzo

• Never the same, but it can be better… Who knows… Depends on the new ones…

• Murica! says:

LOL! Bettter? The first seasons were great, but the last couple of seasons aren’t nearly isn’t as good as the seasons with Ziva. Bishop is a horrible character and a psycho. The “Dear mister president” episode was the worst NCIS episode I have ever seen!!

• Yor opinion… More than 20 milion people every week… It is great

• Murica! says:

I was right. You’re clearly a fangirl.

• JacksonR says:

Well, I’m not a girl, but, I am a fan–a fan who recognizes the mean girl, bitterness of sour grapes. How sad for you, the doom and gloom predicated when Cote quit to do other things, never happened. No show failure, no loss of “millions of distraught fans”, as was posted a few times at around the internet. People who enjoy the show, watch it weekly–and the ratings show it. So, please, take your mean girl attitude and go pound sand……SMFH

• Night Owl says:

Nothing wrong with being a fangirl or fanguy of NCIS. The show has proven it’s value. For the record, I watch it every week, and also on USA multiple other days too. It’s worthy of the award it’s received for being #1 in the world. Even if you choose not to accept that it’s worthy, it doesn’t change it’s value.

• Leia says:

She’s right you’re wrong. There’s 20 million who watch every week, it is the most watched drama every week and even beat Sunday night football, and often TBBT

• Jane says:

The Walking Dead and Empire are just as big with time delayed viewing and much bigger with viewers under 50 like 2-3 times bigger

• Leia says:

Well Jane actually not, empire can’t even come close this yr, in total viewers, and even zombies don’t. Of course the demo is another issue, but then I’m not in the demo, so I don’t care. By the way Baywatch went off the air like 20 yrs ago but it’s still available to watch on cable, just like Miami Vice.

• mary says:

Well it is 20 million who watch, why is she a fangirl for stating a fact? Maybe wait til they announce who will be added. Might be someone you really like.

• Erin says:

Totally agree with PART of what you said. I used to LOVE this show, was my number 1 show in early years. But then it hit it’s stride and was getting number 1 in the ratings everywhere… we lost the showrunner to NCIS LA and it started playing it too safe, diluting what it once was and giving more of the major under cover type missions there and keeping original NCIS the typical case per episode apart from a yearly arc where Gibbs is in trouble and then plays hero and or goes for revenge.This is the reason why it’ll still be successful – it never changes. The plots are fairly predictable as are the characters, people don’t like change. So the viewers especially older ones (a major part of the demo) will be satisfied. But it’s also why a lot of original fans (including me) are leaving. I will admit I am not a fan of change either especially when something just works. But there’s a difference between keeping it’s winning formula and stagnant where these characters never grow apart from McGee who is slightly newer than the original crew of Gibbs/Tony/Abby/Ducky (though now he’s a bit stuck like them), and Bishop who IMO is a good addition despite the Ziva fans fans hatred (though her entrance and first few episodes sucked, they did an atrocious job) . The original four – Gibbs is constantly rude and grumpy, Tony is goofing around, Abby is a caricature and Ducky monologues. I am disappointed with their trajectories (especially Tony who was stellar in earlier episodes like SWAK, Twilight, Chained, Semper Fidelis and Truth or Consequences). Plus the emotional episodes don’t give a gut punch anymore nor surprise me in the slightest. Chicago Fire excels here but NCIS lost it’s mojo. I still watch albeit rarely but when Tony is done I think I will be done. That said we all have different tastes and I’m sure it will still do well ratinsg wide. But ratings and people watching does not equate to a ‘good’ show. Look at those reality shows that rake in ratings and like someone mentioned upthread, Baywatch used to be the number one watched show in the world, as did Bold and the Beautiful. Doesn’t mean they’re amazing shows. The formula still works but it’s tired and definitely not as enjoyable as it was.

• Ozwitch says:

Agree, sadly. I used to adore the show back in its early days, before it became so huge. They actually did things on ships and didn’t sneer at the military. It was about the Navy and not about Gibbs and the office will-they-wont-theys. Then we got that appalling Jenny as Director and it all went downhill after that. I haven’t found it interesting for years. I may watch it again once Di Nozzo is gone just to see if it changes the dynamic, otherwise meh.

• John NYC says:

Once Mark Harmon signed it was right on time.

• DawnMacc says:

That’s what people said when Ziva left too. I guess that turned out pretty well.

• Night Owl says:

The show has survived many cast changes. I’m sure it will survive this one also.

• San says:

Not the same without Tony!

3. Mr. Tran K says:

With Michael Weatherly gone after this season, what are the chances NCIS should end after 15 seasons? It may have the same number of years CSI and ER did.

4. Robert says:

woo hoo!!!

5. Shaw says:

I love this show I had never watched it before this past summer were I sat for a month and binge watch all 12 seasons and fell in love…

• brandi says:

haha, I did that with Grey’s Anatomy. Sure I knew it existed but never watched an episode until last spring. Bing watched all 10 seasons in 3 months. Now I watch it regularly.

6. Annie says:

Honestly I’d much rather it end after this season and go out with some semblance of integrity. Letting a show run this long is gonna strain the quality, no matter what show it is.

• NCIS is #1 in USA and in the world… It is the best show on tv… It had to be renewed.

• mary says:

If it ended this year, it wouldn’t have the time to go out decently. Why is it when someone doesn’t like a show anymore, they say it should end? Like everyone thinks the same way. Hate to disappoint you, but the majority don’t even go on these forums. They will know when viewership goes down, down down, Has a bit of a ways to go.

7. brandi says:

I’m not sure the show can survive without DiNozzo. It did survive Ziva, but she wasn’t an original player. Losing DiNozzo is a big deal.

I sure wish they could get Jennifer Garner as the new female FBI lead. She would be great. If they can’t find a decent enough replacement, and I use that term loosely in this case, for DiNozzo I don’t know how the show can survive another 2 seasons. I personally don’t think Bishop is all that great. They could have done better.

• Shar says:

Yes please to Jennifer Garner and then a natural move to lead if and when Mark Harmon retires.

• johnhelvete says:

I think the show will get a quality name actress but I dont think they will get the “movie star” type that CBS seems to be targeting based on the blurb from this site. That movie star type is not going to want to do 23-24 episodes a year.

• Ozwitch says:

Plus they start demanding all the good lines and air time like Elisabeth Shue and Lawrence Fishburn and both were a disaster for CSI.

• Kate says:

Brandi: I also think NCIS will take a ratings hit at losing Michael Weatherly; bigger than losing Cote dePablo. The replacement players will be key, as well as the NCIS viewers giving the new characters a chance. And I agreed that Bishop isn’t a very dynamic addition to the cast. TonyDiNozzo is my favorite character. So my future viewing is tentative. But I’ll give the newbies a shot.

• John NYC says:

The sole irreplaceable character is played by Mark Harmon. .

• Kate says:

I think Michael Weatherly is pretty near as irreplaceable as Mark Harmon. For 13 seasons Tony’s been the yin to Gibbs’ yang. Gibbs dower presence in the field is relieved only by Tony’s banter. No one else in the cast brings that confident, humorous ease to the grim circumstances they encounter. Michael’s leaving is a huge obstacle for the show to overcome. How they write out his character will go a LONG way toward either alienating fans, or leaving them with good enough feelings to stick around for a future without this very popular character.

• Elnm says:

• Night Owl says:

Agreed! If Mark Harmon was leaving, I think the show would end.

8. ndixit says:

Well, good for them. Personally, this season is my last watching. MW is leaving the stories are clearly getting tired and worn out. I do hope they finish before the ratings completely tumble. It will happen. No show stays on top for so long. I would hate for the show to be dragging its carcass the way Castle is doing right now.

• John NYC says:

This being your last season of viewing why care how it continues?

Bye, bye.

• mary says:

Before they completely tumble? 20 mil is not tumbling. And Castle, which was never that high, is far below. As for tired, well that is what the two new cast members will hopefully do.

9. LaraS says:

Wonderful news. My favorite show.

10. Luc says:

Very unexpected.
    Renewing the show for 2 seasons without knowing the reaction of the public to the exit of Michael Weatherly is a ballsy move.
    The idea of a guarantee that the show will go on might secure some unhappy viewers. Well done.

As a personal point of view only, i don’t fell like watching NCIS without a DiNozzo running around, but we will see what the future reserves.

11. willyam says:

Tragam “Ziva” de volta, ela faz muita falta.

12. Bella says:

Yay, great news! I was afraid it would go downhill after Ziva left, but it’s still an excellent show. While I am going to sorely miss Tony, with two new agents added to the mix, there are still stories to tell.

13. Susan says:

Awesome News for a change!!!!

14. Pat says:

This is wonderful news, I have watched this show from the very beginning, heck I watched JAG and I am so happy to get another two years.

15. Jim Carlton says:

On JAG when they introduced us to Gibbs & Co. Robin Lively played a very spirited ex-FBI agent. Ducky was a letch trying to date her and Abby had a thing for Tony and not as many Tats. How this show has changed from the original.

16. John NYC says:

Just excellent new. Still a very enjoyable and compelling show.

17. Gigi says:

This was my mother’s favorite show. She passed away at age 93 last summer and now when I watch I feel she’s there watching with me still. I’ve wondered whether Michael Weatherly would ever leave the show to explore new roles… I’m happy for him and look forward to seeing him in the future even though I’ll miss his character on NCIS. The show has always done a pretty good job of stabilizing itself when someone leaves, I’m not worried, I’m sure they’ll come up with new and interesting characters and storylines.

• Shannon says:

I’m sorry about your loss! But I agree, I’m happy for MW that he gets to have new roles after all this time. I think the show has the ability to bounce back from this if they pick 2 great actors and give them good characters.

• DeeLoge says:

Both you and Shannon gave great opinions that I totally agree with. I wish Michael the best of luck and I will be watching in the fall to see the new cast members. I do think The team will miss Tony more than they will ever know!

18. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy that NCIS has been renewed for 2 more years but not that surprised either.

19. nooooo Tony can’t leave * he was to be the new Gibbs * continuing the Franks/Gibbs trend as Gibbs/Dinozzo era

20. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Never understood why this show is popular. What am I missing?

• mary says:

It’s about the characters, not as much about the plots each episode. That’s why people get upset when one leaves.

21. Yay, my mom will be thrilled!

22. Jane says:

NCIS fans keep briniging up it’s ratings as a measuremt of quality. It’s exactly like CSI and every other murder shows. It’s not even TV’s number 1 drama with DVR delays or viewers under 50. The people who like this show like unoriginal generic tv shows and movies and ignore things that actualy push the medium forward.

• JacksonR says:

Well, since you have such a disdainful opinion of it–why are you even commenting on it? The fans who do enjoy it–REGARDLESS of their age, are happy to see it continue. What pray tell is the things that push the medium forward? I mean the things that don’t get cancelled after five showings? You seem to have ALL the answers on what makes everything great–please share your vast knowledge, so, all us lowly peons can marvel at your aptitude in running networks. I mean, you are running a network aren’t you? Uh-huh, right, I’ll not hold my breath…..

• mary says:

Do you know everything else we watch? No, you don’t. NCIS is one show we fans watch. I am sure you watch something others don’t like. Not everything has to “push ” the medium forward. Sometimes we like to enjoy something that is familiar. Interesting that you just had to take the time to comment about a show you don’t like. Don’t have anything better to do, like create your own tv show?

23. Clark Drew says:

I would rather see Tony reunite with Dr.Benoit

• Clark Drew says:

Tony belongs with Dr. Benoit

• Rickie Pool says:

I disagree! In the story line, Tony met Jonbenet (Can’t spell it) on a mission for Jenny. I think he hated leading her on and later fell for her on the rebound from Ziva. If he gets a message like the one he got when the three agents “quit” because of Gibbs being under investigation, I think he would just smile and go! Dr. Benoit was a good character to show Tony’s better side, but I think Ziva will always be his first true love. Okay! Now that I’ve shown my feminine side…

24. Byrdi says:

Glad to hear of the renewal for NCIS. Started watching it when it spun off from JAG and will watch it until it ends it’s run. Also, In response to those who still hate Ziva’s replacement. I think she is a fine actress but the writers are to blame for her character (Ellie) being so dull. I just hope when they do end NCIS, they DON’T place a silly vampire/zombie show in its time slot. I out grew those walking dead type characters when I was 10 years old. Give me a break. Only thing worse would be another reality show or another stupid sit-com. Why can’t we have one network which creates good drama, mysteries, and characters who don’t insult our intelligence?

25. Elnm says:

I think dear Michael Weatherly should just ride off into the sunset. Period.

26. richardkcc says:

I am from Singapore and I say Hurrah after hearing that NCIS is renewed for season 14 and 15. So long as Mark Hammon and Pauley Perrette is in NCIS and with the writers I am sure the series can go beyond 15.

27. I like the show so much after watching ‘Season 8’ that I’ve downloaded all the way back to ‘Season 5’, I’m glad there’s going to be another 2 series at least because to deny it’s popularity just because “You” don’t enjoy it is ridiculous!

While it’s a shame that Tony’s gone, sadly along with Ziva (Allegedly) the show must go on as does life in those situations. Judging by the performances of the 2 touted replacements in the last 2 episodes of Season 13, they will do fine & I already hope they’re both in Season 14……

28. San says:

So far, not working for me without Tony.

• San says:

Having said the show is not working for me without Tony, I do want to say that I love Mark Harmon and Pauley also very much on the show but Tony, Mark and Pauley worked.