Exclusive
NCIS New Cast Member

NCIS: Meet the Female Fed Who Will Join Gibbs' Team for Season 14

NCIS will be adding a real pistol to its armory in Season 14.

As first reported by TVLine’s Ask Ausiello — two weeks before Michael Weatherly’s end-of-season exit was announced — TV’s most watched drama is aiming to add two series regulars for the foregone conclusion that is Season 14. And now we have intel on the female of the two noobs.

To be introduced in time for the Season 13 finale, the CBS drama is seeking a “name” actress to play “Tess,” an FBI Special Agent in her late 30s who has recently transferred to D.C. from New York City’s Counter-Terrorism Unit. Described in the tentative casting breakdown as “quick-witted, sarcastic, shrewd” and “two parts bulldog, one part sweet kitten,” the G-woman can just as easily keep up with a group of politicians talking at a black-tie fundraiser as she can truck drivers at a roadside diner. In her mind, sleep and sex are “overrated” while a good martini and a rare bacon cheeseburger aren’t.

A three-time divorcée (because the husbands apparently “can’t keep up with her”) who has no children, Tess is content acting as “Mamma Bear” to any co-worker who needs a shoulder to lean on. Just don’t make her angry, because that’s when she tends to ruffle even her superiors’ feathers.

Which “name” actress in her late 30s would you dream-cast to join Gibbs’ evolving team?

1. Luis says:

Thrice-divorced,eh?

2. Steven says:

let this show die

3. Daya says:

Sara Rue would be interesting in this role, but I think it probably needs to be someone who has already been in an actioner, like Summer Glau. (Since Jessica Alba and Jennifer Garner are busy with motherhood…and are probably too old…?)

I thought of another actress that I haven’t seen in a long time, but not only is she in her 50s (most likely), her husband is more of a name than she is.

If this were any other show, I’d say Cote!

4. Sara says:

How about an Asian NCIS agent for a long-overdue change? Or is #diversity just an #Oscars thing? LMAO @ how pale this show remains after 13 seasons? Cop Out.

5. Gary Dube says:

I would really like to see Gibbs (Mark Harmon) and Lt. Col. Mann (Susanna Thompson) have a lost lasting relationship and have Gibbs get married again because this one works out.

6. Jerri says:

What about Christina Hendricks?
    Or Yvonne Strabovski? Since she won’t be in the new 24 reboot?

7. Andrea says:

I know I’ve heard that Alana de la Garza got a gig on the Criminal Minds spin-off, but that keeps being delayed. If I were CBS, I’d consider her for this.

8. Evangeline Lilly? Annie Wersching? Wersching has technically already been on the show once, but she’d be great anyway. I think they’re both probably busy on other projects right now though.

Sarah Lancaster? Yvonne Strahovski? (I know kind of a Chuck binge here) Technically Yvonne is only 33, but I don’t care, whatever it takes to get her back on my TV screen.

• She’s nearly 46, but she’d be great. She could pass for late thirties.

• Sam says:

Gabrielle Anwar could never pass for 30’s. She was looking older than that during the first few seasons of Burn Notice and that was years ago.

• Andrea says:

Her age is listed as 43, but Angie Harmon’s a name, and I could see her playing a character who’s been divorced three times. Might be a tad too close to Rizzoli,though. Gabrielle Anwar is a great choice except I’d wonder if I’d keep seeing Fiona from Burn Notice.

• Rem_Marshall says:

Angie Harmon to replace the former desk of Sasha Alexander, ironic ! I think Angie would be a perfect fit. And her last name is Harmon so that’s not a coincidence, as the other Harmon would say !

• Sherry says:

No Fiona ! She’s just not right ! I think that Cuban Male that played an intern on Bones would make a Great Agent , he’s GOOD LOOKING , FUNNY AND WOULD FIT IN PERFECT to take Tony’s place ! He used to play on General Hosp. too ! Also the girl that is on Graceland and used to be on Law and Order would be good as one of the Woman , she’s strong and can fight and has an attitude and Abby would love her ! Of Coarse Abby , Loves Everyone ! I love Abby !

• Night Owl says:

Now that Heroes Reborn is officially dead and buried, I’d love to see Zachary Levi succeed Michael Weatherly.

• MIKE BOGART says:

HOW ABOUT “EDDIE CIBRIAN” FROM “CSI-MIAMI” !! I THINK HE’D BE A GREAT FIT-IN FOR TONY !! PLEASE CHECK HIM OUT IF HE’S AVAILABLE !!

• Katrinka says:

I really like that idea! Burn Notice was one of my favorite shows & my husband continually argued with me about her age – she could easily play “late 30’s.”

• Denise says:

Totally agree with Gabrielle Anwar from Burn Notice. I loved that show and she was a bada$$. She would be perfect for the part. But I was always a fan of hers anyway. It doesn’t matter what we all think. I’m sure they already have someone picked out.

• Great suggestion! And if they kept her with the love of knowing so much about weapons, she would b great. Sort of like the female McGiver.

• Jerri says:

Ooh. Good choice. Loved her on Burn Notice.

9. jordan rochez says:

hilarie burton,yvonne strahovski,melissa sagemiller,or possibly missy peregrym

10. auntiemm says:

I’m disappointed they aren’t bringing Borin in full time. Still, does hiring a woman mean we’re losing both Tony and Bishop? They’re going to need to redo the bullpen for that extra desk or has Bishop’s divorce been setting up her departure from the series?

• Andrea says:

Though it’s never been confirmed, I think something soured the relationship between Diane Neal and the NCIS franchise. I’ve read comments about something that supposedly happened on Twitter, although I have no idea what it was. I’ve seen posters on more than one site (including this one) mention it.

• KeithH says:

When Ms. Neal was shooting her last NOLA appearance, she went on what appeared to be a booze-addled Twitter tirade about schedules and working conditions…I believe bridges may have been burned.

• Lynda Wilson says:

The “divorce” is probably to set her up for a romance with somebody. Not Tim, I hope because I think he’s had a long-time crush on Abby and I’d hope by now they would be a twosome, but you can’t have everything…

11. Bella says:

Angie Harmon, since Rizzoli & Isles is ending?

12. Does she “live in a van, down by the RIVER!”

13. John DeYoung says:

I was thinking Jennifer Gardner. Maybe Jessica Biels, Melissa Gilbert, Sarah Shahi, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Katherine Heigl, Piper Perabo, Emmanuelle Vaugier just to name a few

14. Cecille says:

Since we’re talking “name” actress, go for Sandra Bullock or Lucy Liu!

• Deb says:

Lucy Liu is busy with Elementary(and her son.)

• Penny Heist says:

I like the Sandra Bullock. She’s definitely played action and she’s got the comedy part down pat. Yeah, Sandra Bullock, although a little older than late 30-ish, could pull it off just great…although I think she prefers movies over TV.

15. Eric Fitch says:

I’d recommend Torri Higginson, Amanda Tapping, Tamlyn Tomita, or Erica Durrance.

16. Jeanne says:

Maggie Q. But Missy Peregrym would be great.

• Nichole says:

Maggie Q would be a good addition, was so disappointed that Stalker was cancelled. She would play the role described very well :) While Tony will be missed, it’s about time they added newer characters to the team, it’s been to unrealistic that the same people have stayed so long, Gibbs yes, but in real life, Tony and Timmy would have moved on years ago.

• John NYC says:

Margaret Denise Quigley would absolutely nail that role.

17. Paige says:

Like the idea of Yvonne Strahoviski and Garner, but also like Michelle Rodriguez and Liv Tyler.

18. The Popcorn Warrior says:

What about Tricia Helfer or KaDee Strickland? A role like this could be in either one of their wheelhouse. Helfer has played some tough badasses before while Strickland has the southern charm and toughness for the role.

19. spindae2 says:

Megan Follows? With Mary moving to Scotland doubt there will be much Catherine in Reign.

20. Irene says:

Angie Harmon would be my choice.

21. Irene says:

The show needs another bad ass female since Ziva is not willing to return.

22. John036 says:

Hettienne Park, even though she’s not a name actress. I feel like she would be great on NCIS.

I would hope they cast a POC, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Yvonne Strahovski.

23. Louise says:

Anticipating the “female Gibbs” to appear. What about Agent Born of Coast Guard fame?

24. mark says:

how about who plays Olivia on SVU? in her 30s from new York..(palys a cop with nypd anyways) tough as nails too

25. Mary says:

A tamale Gibbs. Yay

26. Cari says:

FELICIA DAY. She would be PERFECT for this, and I would absolutely LOVE to see her on NCIS.

27. Z says:

I stopped watching this show this season.. just got bored with it and too many other shows on in this timeslot…

Why are they doing a female Gibbs? Shouldnt they be looking for a replacement for Tony? With him and Cote gone the show is lacking the fun comedy bits they used to do… need someone that can play lighter.

28. beth says:

isn’t that Abigail Born from the Coast Guard?

29. darkangel200 says:

She sounds just as aggressive, nasty and unlikeable as some of the show’s past female characters. And seriously, Gary Glasburg is going to take even more time away from Michael Weatherly’s exit to introduce this new character?! I’ll certainly never throw hate at the new characters like some did with Bishop, but Glasburg’s total dismissal of Tony, for the past few season’s now, is disheartening. When Weatherly goes, so go I.

30. Soji says:

Just bring ziva back

31. mary says:

While I love NCIS. I do think currently they need a little diversity. Thandie Newton, she’s a little older. Probably wouldn’t take a tv role though. Yunjin Kim I could picture kicking some butt. Everyone else I can think of already have roles.

32. Andrea says:

If her previous relationship with CBS hadn’t ended the way it did with Blue Bloods, Jennifer Esposito might have been a viable choice.

33. nigel bridger says:

ange harmon

34. Nicole S says:

Would love to see Melina Kanakaredes back on TV! Annie Wersching, JoAnna Garcia Swisher, Erika Christensen, or Joy Bryant also

35. diana workcuff says:

i like actress that plays in criminal minds-1st episodes, the dark hair one lady,pretty one

36. ChicagoDan says:

It’s time Jennifer Garner returned to acting full-time.

37. JulieM says:

First name that comes to mind is Jennifer Garner. Or how about adding some diversity to the team (NCISLA and NCISNO both have actors of color 👍🏼). So, I’m gonna throw out there: Aisha Tyler, Gabrielle Union and Maggie Q.

38. Jeanne says:

Tamlyn Tomita, Sarah Sashi. Kellie Williams would be great. Queen Latifah,

*Cobie Smulders!!* Would be a good choice *ANGIE HARMON!!!*

39. Clarissa says:

Alyson Hannigan or Keiko Agena? Would be interesting to see one of them play this kind of character.

40. Michelle says:

There are so many great actresses out there that would be great in this role but Jennifer Garner, Sarah Michelle Gellar & Mary Lynn Rajskub came to mind when i read this.
    Mary Lynn would have the whole CTU background already down to a T from her time on 24 & she did the whole sarcastic thing perfectly on 24.

41. Jeanne says:

Lauren Graham

42. Rem_Marshall says:

I have a question. What does “The foregone conclusion that is Season 14” imply ?
    I’m French so maybe it’s just a misunderstanding but that sentence sounds like you assume that Season 14 will be the final season of NCIS.

As for the female role, I would love to see Angie Harmon, Sara Shahi (though I still hope a season 6 for POI), Kathryn Morris (too old maybe ?), Julie Benz, Yvonne Strahovski.

• Andrea says:

@Rem_Marshall. In English, a foregone conclusion means that something is almost guaranteed to happen. Matt meant that we’re almost guaranteed to get Season 14 of NCIS.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“The foregone conclusion that is Season 14” = TV’s most watched drama will be renewed.

• Rem_Marshall says:

Ok thanks ! I got it the other way around. I thought you said it was guaranteed that Season 14 would be the conclusion. My bad ! Thanks ! Learning every day ! :D

43. zsazsa says:

Mary Louise Parker would be the Best for this team….

44. Melody says:

Annabeth Gish?

45. Dave says:

Sarah Shahi has proven to be able to handle a role like this. Mix her characters from Fairly Legal and Person of Interest, and you have something along the lines of this character description.

46. bill says:

I’d like to see Marriette Hartley – She can be soft or tough – whichever is needed

47. Pug Dodd says:

I really think Abby Bourne (coast Guard)!!!! Would love seeing her on NCIS full time!!!!

48. RH says:

How about Kate Beckinsale. She can play a bad ass and could pull of late 30’s.