Ratings: DC's Legends Has Super Start, Gives The CW a Two-Year High

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow on Thursday night premiered to 3.2 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating (per finals), giving The CW its best demo number in the time slot in exactly two years (Vampire Diaries‘ 100th episode).

Legends doubled predecessor Vampire Diaries‘ season-to-date average (1.3 mil/0.6) and bested TVD‘s year-ago numbers in the time slot (1.6 mil/0.8). TVLine readers gave the series debut an average grade of “B+.”

For those who may wonder of the spinoff’s sires: The Flash this season is averaging 3.6 mil/1.4, Arrow 2.7 mil/1.0.

Leading out of Legends, Season 3 of The 100 opened to 1.9 mil and a 0.7, a sharp increase over The Originals‘ season-to-date average in the time slot (1 mil/0.4) and besting its own Season 2 average (1.5 mil/0.5). It was The 100‘s highest-rated outing since the second episode of Season 1; TVLine readers gave it an average grade of “A-.”

All told, The CW enjoyed its most watched Thursday in more than three years (since 10/11/12) and its highest rated Thursday in more than two years (since 11/21/13).

Elsewhere in the ratings….

NBC | The Heroes Reborn (3.8 mil/1.0, average grade “B-“) finale matched series lows, The Blacklist (7.4 mil/1.6) was steady and Shades of Blue (6.9 mil/1.4) rose a tenth.

CBS | Leading out of an old Bang (11 mil/2.2), Life in Pieces (8.8 mil/2.0) and Mom (8.5 mil/1.7) were steady, while Angel From Hell (7 mil/1.4) ticked up. Elementary (6.3 mil/1.1) was flat.

FOX | American Idol (9.4 mil/2.4) was up 8 percent and two tenths week-to-week.

ABC | Beyond the Tank (4.3 mil/1.0) and the Diet show (2.3 mil/0.6) were flat.

1. Poodleshark says:

YIPPIEE!!

2. Lindsey says:

Excellent! So Happy for The 100!

3. MissEllys says:

I’ll be very interested to see the Live+7 ratings. I think the 100 should be a lock in for renewal. They should cancel VD and Crazy EX

• Guy says:

They won’t cancel Crazy Ex-Girlfriend since it got them some awards attention, which is very rare for CW shows.

• James says:

I’m worried about iZombie, though. It’s a great show, but one that could be in danger considering Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got them awards attention. And I don’t think they’re going to cancel Vampire Diaries this season either.

4. Goldenvibefan says:

I expected legends to have better ratings than it does.. Really happy the 100 is doing well.

5. gabriel says:

CW beating both ABC and NBC, what a night everyone, what a night!

6. Iz says:

Legend’s ratings are a bit underwhelming. When you compare them to Flash and Arrow, they’re not really that great. Even Arrow managed to score 1.3/4.3mil for its series premiere way back when. They’re also not even close to Flash’s series premiere numbers. With all the promotion that went into Legends and with the fact that it already has an established fanbase of sorts, I can’t help but to be a bit disappointed at these numbers.

On the other hand, The 100 returned better than expected. It’s really picked up and I’m glad to see it gain some energy.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Fair points. I would note that Arrow and Flash benefited from iconic heroes at the fore, versus an ensemble of unarguably less-familiar characters. Legends also debuted at midseason (versus the sexy/splashy fall TV season), when it’s famously harder to open big. #Flarrow also had Comic-Con showcases still in their rear-view mirrors.

But fair points.

• Goldenvibefan says:

Totally agree. I was expecting in the mid 4 million- maybe even 5 mil. So proud of the 100s numbers though :)

• ndixit says:

Those are some unrealistic expectations. Even Flash didn’t hit 5 million and he is a more famous hero than all the Legends combined.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

LOL…. If I get time later I’ll research the last time any one CW show has drawn 5 million viewers in a single sitting.

• Hailey says:

I’ll save you the effort matt never!. But numbers wise that wasn’t a bad outing for them hope their numbers can stay steady to justify almost ruining my fav show in order to set it up.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TVD’s series debut in 2009 drew 4.9 million. TOP MODEL did north of 5 million its first seasons on The CW (2006-2007).

7. Luli says:

Yes for the 100!!!! Also I know it’s a good increase, but how much of a difference is 0.7 from a 0.5?

8. Mr. Tran K says:

Looks like LoT is destined to be the first breakout hit of 2016. As for Heroes Reborn, NBC did the right thing for having just one season and done but it was a disaster much like the original series that lasted four seasons from 2006 to 2010.

9. Et al. says:

So very happy for the 100!

10. Joey Padron says:

Happy Legends got great ratings for their first episode. Really like the show a lot. Can’t wait to see part 2 of the episode next week!

11. That sexy Mick Rory did ti for me

12. lame says:

Good lead in for the 100 and good complex start to the sesson for the Arkers and grounders.

13. Boiler says:

Wish Elementary would get more love. They do well in DVR so maybe that, along with syndication would keep it going. Also would be interested to see numbers if Life in Pieces and Angel from Hell in same hour. The Wednesday comedies doing well with more competition currently

14. Gerald says:

Not surprised the LOT did well. They have promoted it well. But… it isn’t that great and I am shocked the 100 held some of those numbers. I am sure when the dust settles there will be less people into the LOT and the 100. Numbers should drop in future weeks. I am all for the CW to have good rating nights. Just these shows are not their best products.

• PJ says:

Agree Gerald one of thrir best shows is consistently over looked and that is Supernatural 11 seasons and going strong. Both Jane the V and Craxy Ex were put forward bythe CW network for awards before either had left infancy. Where’s the CW’s love for it’s long standing dramas

• Luli says:

The 100 is one of their best shows. also they had a nine month break, where more and more people discovered it thanks to netflix. I’m one of them. Maybe that’s why there was an increase. Also 100 was more enjoyable than legends. But well, everyone has different tastes.

15. Babygate says:

Very happy for The first 100. And Shades of Blue has surprised me with how good it is. Then again, Ray Liotta steals the show. I find him fascinating to watch. Excellent performance.

16. Tim says:

Very disappointed. Hated it actually. A whole show about saving some guys kids. I hate kids. Don’t see it lasting.

17. Longmire4ever says:

So excited that LOT did well. I loved the entire cast except for the Hawks. Find them to stiff and they have zero chemistry together. Hawk man from Smallville was way better. The Prison Break duo so fit in. Can not get enough of Capt. Cold and White Canary’s antics. Firestorm and Jax are a great team. Bring on episode 2.

Just discovered The 100 on Netflix. I am on Season 1. It is pretty good. I will stick with it as Zoe from Person of Interest is on it.

Where is Person of Interest???????

18. Lynn says:

I didn’t like LOT at all. The two that are supposed to be these great love of each other’s lives through centuries don even have any chemistry, the prison break guys are just criminals and kind of unlikeable and I liked firestorm on the Flash when the other half of him was Robbie Amell but this new guy and the other guy seem to have no chemistry or something. As for white canary I’ve never watched Arrow so don’t know how she was on that show but she doesn’t seem to stand out much here. The atom guy, same thing, never saw him on Arrow but he’s kind of boring here. Wasn’t even crazy about the time lord guy and how he lied to them. The whole thing was kind of boring.

19. Bob Jones says:

How in the name of Creation did The Blacklist completely fall off? Is it Scandal, the Winter Solstice, El Nino?

I mean, you have Raymond Reddington [James Spader] monologing in every episode like its 2005-06 Boston Legal, Samar Navabi Mossad doing her thing, Ressler, Aram, Mr. Keen, Dembe, the guy from the Matrix and Dollhouse . . . and Megan Boone

20. Enjoy the show hopefully Supergirl will appear on the show.