Exclusive

The Flash Sneak Peek: On Earth-Two, Wells and Jay Garrick Have a Face-Off

‘Member how The Flash and Dr. Wells were rather buddy-buddy here on our Earth (before, that is, everything went so sideways)?

Yeah, so, the speedster’s relationship with the scientist was quite different on Earth-Two, as seen in this exclusive sneak peek.

In the flashback, Wells (played by Tom Cavanagh) is unveiling some nifty new tech when the Crimson Comet (Teddy Sears) crashes the press conference to cast aspersions on Central City’s resident supergenius. How will this other Wells, who when last we tuned in had come face to face with Earth-One’s Flash, respond?

“In the same way we had a push me/pull you relationship last year between The Flash and Harrison,” Cavanagh shared during our recent set visit, “[Jay and Wells] have… I don’t know if the word ‘similar’ applies, but we certainly do have a relationship. You’ve taken two of the larger personalities from Earth-One and you’ve put them together [in Season 1], and this season you’ve taken two of the larger personalities from Earth-Two and put them together.” With the latter match-up, Cavanagh says, “The viewers won’t be disappointed.”

Elsewhere in tonight’s episode (The CW, 8/7c), Barry learns that another “breacher,” Dr. Light, has traveled through the portal — and she’s got some truth bombs about Zoom to drop. Though Barry nonetheless finds time for his first date with Miss Spivot (previewed here). (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Evenmoor says:

Curiously, most of the other characters (and set pieces, for that matter) in Earth-2 here have a sort of retro style to them, while Harrison Wells is very modern in appearance.

I wonder if that’s a deliberate dissonance, and if so, is it an in-universe choice (i.e., Wells always is ahead of the game, even in style) or meta choice (the makers of The Flash are drawing parallels to Earth-1 Wells, who if I recall correctly dressed similarly on the night of the accelerator accident).

2. Kim R says:

This may very well be a stupid question so I will preface it by saying I am not a comic book follower. I thought Harrison Wells was no longer in existence when Eobard Thawne “removed him” from his body and took it over. How is it that he has not been erased?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s a different Wells from a parallel Earth aka Earth-Two.

• A says:

Because Harrison Wells & Eobard Thawne are two different people. Eobard Thawne impersonated Harrison Wells using some kind of future gadget.

• herman1959 says:

I think Matt is saying that the Wells we are now seeing on Earth-1 (Flash/Barry’s universe) is the Wells that has come over from Earth-2 (Flash/Jay’s universe). Matt, please correct me if I’m wrong.

• herman1959 says:

Also, Eobard Thawne is the one who was erased when Eddie died.

• Unluckily for Earth-1’s Harrison Wells, the erasure of Eobard Thawn did not retroactively resurrect him. Of course, if everything Eobard did was undone, it would create a HUGE paradox that would probably annihilate the entire universe, so I guess poor Harrison (and Nora, and Barry’s mom) just had to take one for the team?

• Kim R says:

Thank you for your replies. My brain is starting to hurt…just a bit. :)

3. Diane says:

This scene is great. I can’t wait for tonight!

4. dancmh says:

I’m glad a version of Wells is back. The show has been missing a little of the snark last year’s version brought to the table. I do wish Jay would get his speed back though…or at least a portion of it. He’s a little too helpless right now.

5. Joey Padron says:

Good sneak peek clip of tonight’s new episode. Excited to watch new episode!

6. bmac says:

Is the woman they focused on a couple of times supposed to be Joan Williams?