Grey's Anatomy Season 12

Grey's Anatomy Scoop: Shonda Rhimes on 'Rebirth' for Meredith, 'Exciting New Romances' for Callie and Arizona

Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes let her spoiler guard down Tuesday while speaking with reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, divulging a number of teases about Season 12 of the ABC drama. Here are the standout scoops:

* The new season of Grey’s takes on “a much lighter tone” in the wake of Derek’s death, Rhimes shared. “Meredith is single and she is living this life that she’s never thought she’d be living again. She’s living in a house with her sisters. She’s surrounded by women who are dating and having a whole life and she’s not interested in all that. [Meredith is] starting to wonder is there a second life here or are your best years behind you? I guess the theme[of Season 12] is rebirth. That evolution for that character is beautiful”

* Despite buzz that new cast member Martin Henderson was coming on as a love interest for Ellen Pompeo’s newly-widowed character, Rhimes insisted that she’s still figuring out “what I’m doing with [him],” adding that the Off the Map actor doesn’t even debut until “the middle of the season.”

* Three months will have lapsed when the new season picks up and Rhimes confirmed that April made good on her threat to resume her overseas work, leaving Jackson high and dry once again.

* There will “definitely some new romances for” Callie and Arizona this season, Rhimes revealed, adding. “And some pretty exciting ones, too.”

1. AddieM says:

Enough already with the misery on GA…we do need new & exciting romances esp for Jackson. That man has not smiled or been happy in forever.

2. Mary Kate says:

Please let Jackson and April be happy!!!! They’re the only source of happiness for me on this show after MerDer went kaput.

• leash10 says:

Seriously! Please keep them together. Yes, it’s understandable that they’re grieving and finding different ways to deal, but instead of splitting them up, find a way to work it out & bring them back together.

• anon says:

It’s sadder (or maybe even worse storytelling) because up until the Dead Derek aftermath, they WERE dealing. And they did seem to be working through the grief together. Until they all of a sudden weren’t.

3. Sonja says:

SHONDA SEREOSLY WHAT ARE YOU DOING, it’s dead enough that you kill Derek and left the merder fans angry. But women you need to stop with this BS and bring calzona back together because we need an leading couple on grey’s again and sorry but jolex, japril, ben & bailey are not one of them.

I will give you the first half of the season to do the right thing and bring them back togheter. AND I SWEAR to God if you bring back home wreck (Lauren) I’m done.

• abz says:

Why does the show NEED a leading couple? Why can’t it just be about a bunch of characters living their lives? Some may have partners and others may not.
      I personally don’t think “the right thing” is to bring them back together. They are much better and more interesting characters apart I think.

• Maria says:

I totally agree!

• RJ says:

I agree. Character development in their chosen career of medicine, the medical drama of saving or losing lives are the basis of the show. The romances just add some spice and insight into what makes each character tick.

• Jamie says:

Ugh, Calzona makes me want to vom. I genuinely hope they don’t put them back together. Jackson and April (and Jo and Alex if they could actually get some storylines) make for much more interesting couples. Callie and Arizona just make each other miserable, and it’s depressing to watch. Seeing Callie dance when they split up earlier last season reminded me of how much joy she used to have and why I loved her character. Plus, Shonda Rhimes literally spent the last few seasons proving that they are better/happier apart. Please please please let them stay divorced.

• Jenks says:

I totally agree. I do not get the Calzona love. Those two are toxic, or at least Arizona is. What a selfish whiner. I wouldn’t wish her on my worst enemy. Callie just wilts around her and comes alive when she’s on her own or interacting with somebody else. I also don’t see why we need a “leading couple.” I like the show much better when the characters are interacting in other ways rather than slogging through couple drama.

• CW says:

Agreed. They were a highly dysfunctional couple and I’ve never liked them together. Here’s to hoping that they both truly move on and get new love lives that are successful.

• tvjunkie says:

Those 2 have too many issues to get back together in any sort of plausible way.

• Linda Farmer says:

Bring Calzona back – please! Such natural chemistry.

4. abz says:

So glad they are having Callie and Arizona move on. I like them SOOOO much better apart than together. They are more interesting characters. Hell, even Arizona is a character that I actually enjoy watching now compared to a couple of the previous seasons. I loved watching her friendship with Herman. And while I really enjoy Callie’s miserable drunk sessions with Meredith (more drunk Callie in season 12 please!!), I want to see Callie have some fun again. I want them both to move on, but try to stay as friends or at least good co-parents.

• Sonja says:

Calzona has a huge fandom who wants them to be together and not with other people. The fans don’t want them to dat others. We are probably going to see japril having te storyline that calzona fans have wanted since season 9 with them communication about their problems and hot have it all in one episode and think that the fans will be okey with the outcome after that episode. Episode 11×05 was a good start and we gotten always everything we wanted, therapy, talking about the cheating, a “sex” scene……

• abz says:

Well I am a huge Callie fan and I’ve come to actually like Arizona and I think they are better and much happier apart. I’m happy with this decision and it’s for the good of the characters.

• Jamie says:

This comment is on point – Arizona was so much more tolerable in that storyline than she’s ever been before, and I really wanna see Callie return to the fun-loving lady she was pre-Arizona. I’m excited to see what love interests they have coming for Callie!

5. Anna says:

Yay for new love interests for Callie! I need to see her happy and dating again!

And poor Jackson. He lost a kid, too, and he really needed his wife. I hope they can get past this.

6. Nitemar says:

My 2 cents on Callie and Arizona’s new romances: Callie with the new intern and Arizona with Maggie?, but I’d rather see Callie go back with “stake knives” since I think Arizona was lying when she said she wasn’t jealous. But, still believe Calzona is endgame.

7. BetsyBoo says:

Am I the only one confused about Meredith living with her “sisters”? plural? Legitimately – I’m asking – have I blocked out another secret sister other than Maggie? Or is Shonda including Amelia? So does that mean Amelia is living in the original Grey house, too, once Mere sold the post-it house out from under her? OR does Shonda mean her sister-friends? Am I thinking about this too much?

• abz says:

I believe she means Maggie (half-sister) and Amelia (sister-in-law). I forgot if they mentioned what was happening to the house Derek built.

• Jennifer Sands says:

I was wondering the same thing. Mer does have another half sister–Lexi’s sister, who hasn’t been seen or mentioned in several seasons. But I doubt that’s who Shonda is referring to. Probably Maggie and Mer’s sister-in-law, Amelia.

• TinLV says:

I think she meant Maggie and Amelia, but it does bring up another point I’ve always wondered about. Why did Shonda never bring on Mer’s other half-sister, the one who was Lexie’s full sister ? I can’t remember her name, though she was mentioned a few times. They could have at least touched base and either bonded or hated each other on sight when Lexie died.

• EM says:

Other sister is Molly who is out of the country with her military husband. Meredith met her when Molly was a patient of Addison’s in season 2 or 3. I think rhimes meant Maggie and Amelia. Three adults and three kids in three bedrooms?

8. DarkDefender says:

I can’t wait. I trust that whatever Shonda has in her writing bag of tricks (good or bad) I’ll be entertained. Bring it on.

9. Ashley says:

New romance for Arizona, please! I hate seeing Callie drag her down since Season 7, and it was so nice to see Arizona step out of Callie’s shadow this past season, and being her happy, perky, badass self again. Next step is a new love interest that loves her for who she is, and respects her and her opinions. Season 12 would be great if it could do that.

• Ellen says:

Finally someone who is able to see the truth, and is not blinded by their love for Callie. I really hope that Arizona will have a new relationship ON SCREEN, and not just talked about. And I want that person to respect her and listen to her, Callie did neither. I’m definitely not saying that Arizona is without fault, because she isn’t. But I’m tired of people who are putting all the blame on her.

• Olivia says:

Preach!

• tvjunkie says:

Callie always seems to be the dominate one in a relationship, whether with a man or a woman and dominate to the point of sabotaging those relationships.

10. Rachel Danielle says:

The only couple I have left to root for is April & Jackson (Bailey and Ben are boring, I like Joe and Alex but I’m not invested). With Jackson and April, I’ve loved them from the start! With them it felt like they took over for Izzy & George, whom I miss. Not the romance part but the friendship they had, the relationship that was built into a marriage. Greys use to be a fun show to watch, especially in the earlier seasons, but over the last few years it’s become really become depressing and sad. I hope Shonda can lighten it up a bit, oh an put April and Jackson back together!!

Also Callie and Arizona’s relationship was awful to watch. It’s sad they are over but they should be. They were so destructive as a couple.

11. T.W.123 says:

I’m loving these spoilers for GA! My only (small) complaint is that if Shonda is going to go all in on the “Meredith and her Sisters” storyline- which I assume means Meredith will be building a deeper relationship with Maggie and Ameila- then I think they really need to spend a little more time on Meredith dealing with Lexie’s loss on camera last season. I know that Meredith will likely primarily be focused on the loss of Derek, but we never really saw her “grieve” Lexie and she barely mentions her since her death. I would imagine that being surrounded by these new sisters would bring up some old Lexie-emotions for Meredith.

• Jenks says:

Lexie’s death happened, what, three seasons ago? Plus a big time jump last season. I think Meredith has dealt with that by now.

• T.W.123 says:

Yeah no,I agree with you that Meredoth has long ago dealt with Lexie. I was just always perplexed that we never sawing of that process on camera. And now that she is surrounding herself with these two new sisters in her life, it seems like an appropriate time to revisit that particular past.

• Brenda says:

And what about Meredith father? Maybe he can make an appearance.

• Joshua says:

I just saw re-runs of Season 9, and I think Meredith came into terms with Lexie’s death when she operated (and saved!) that woman who got stuck under her car. I think that’s her best coping mechanism.

12. lana says:

ok so after killing derek , shonda next goal is to destroying japril too..not interested in this. hope the show fail this season

13. Khaira says:

Let’s hope She Will bring Lauren back for Arizona’s storyline

14. paola says:

Muito feliz Arizona com novo interese. Amoroso,e Arizona voltando a ser feliz

15. aph1976 says:

I’m wondering if down the line the show might try to pair Meredith and Jackson up or even just have them flirt a little.As for Callie and Arizona maybe they each need to date to realize they want to get back together but right now they might just be trying to be friends again.

16. Larc says:

No matter what she’s been through, April is being incredibly selfish. She will doubtless come to her senses, but it will serve her right if Jackson has already made other arrangements by then that cause him to be permanently unavailable to her.

As for Callie and Arizona, they’ve become too boringly tedious. I wouldn’t care if they both take off for parts unknown and never come back.

• Jackson was incredibly cold when they first realized there were issues with the baby. He was very “doctor like” and quick to want to be rid of the baby. She needed time to come to terms and I think she was rushed to induce labor before she was really ready to mourn the baby. Yeah he finally came around to mourn the baby as well it wasn’t quick enough and it did become an issue for them. That’s my take on it…..He’s already “over it” and she still isn’t. She’s not ready to move on from it yet and he already had.

17. jen says:

Seriously? April re-enlisted and just effed up her marriage! SMDH They can’t even be happy for a season.

18. Amanda Lowery says:

Been watching Greys anatomy since it first premiered. My husband and I watch this show religiously. Love the work and a fan for life. Thanks for the great story lines!! We can’t wait for Season 12

19. Japril was the only reason I watched. Won’t be watching anymore unless they make their marriage work.

20. Season 12 coming up soon and I can’t wait. Thanks Shonda Rhimes!

21. Melani says:

Bring on Charlie hunman, no more calzona -they are stronger characters apart, get rid if Geena Davis, she has NOo place there…seriously at least one cameo from Christina NO way Meredith goes through this without contact from Christina

22. Of course she “let her spoiler guard down.” She needs her viewers back and she’s worried after the backlash over Derek’s death (GOOD). I hope that seat is good and hot, Shonda, Squirm a little,

23. Christy says:

Excited to see that Christina is coming back!!!

24. amanda says:

Please no more Calzona!!!!! I love Callie but she needs to find someone else. April and Jackson i understand splitting up. She needs to do what makes her happy if he can’t deal with it then fine split. Poor Owen needs to be truly happy for once Please!!!!

25. kelly says:

Bring April and Jackson back together. They were the only couple I still liked watching on there.

26. kandy Johnson says:

I think Yang should return maybe even Burk

27. leeann says:

Bring Derrick back say he was in Washington and know one could no except the white house

28. Lisa Tew says:

I am still totally upset that Shonda took Derrick out of the picture since both Grey and he were the mainstay of the whole show. This is so disappointing as an avid viewer to see the new season showing he is really gone and Meredeth is on her own..there is no one who could take his place. What a mistake and a shame. Would love to discuss. . . .

29. Itchel says:

Bring calzona back please. Im begging yu shonda please

30. Tiffany Weir says:

I really liked Arizona and Lauren together. They were cute. I hope she is her new romance.