Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on The Flash, Teen Wolf, Once, Wayward Pines, iZombie, Major Crimes and More

The Flash Season 2 Spoilers

Who is The Flash‘s new hero? What will make Teen Wolf fans hit rewind? Where is iZombie‘s sis? Will a Major romance create problems? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

I’m dying for some Arrow or Flash scoop! –Matthew
Arrow is seeking an Iris West type… No, just kidding. (Too soon?) The Flash, however – in addition to Wendy – is casting the season-long role of a classically handsome, square-jawed hero in his 30s to early 40s, a slightly cynical man “with an edge.” The casting call lists the character as “John Clark,” which is obviously fake/a nod to the DC Comics letterer. Though I must wonder if one of Clark’s works hints at the character being introduced….

Will Peyton be back for iZombie Season 2? –CJ
In a word, possibly. Explaining the absence of recurring player Aly Michalka from the finale, show boss Rob Thomas iZombie_Liv_Peyton_Major told Vlada Gelman, “There were a certain number of episodes we could use her for, and we had used up our allotment, plus she was doing a pilot (ABC’s Chevy). And if that pilot [is picked up], you might not get her back, so we had to write her in a way that if she didn’t come back, that we’d at least have a reason.” Since Chevy didn’t make the cut at ABC, “She is available to us again, and we hope to see more of her,” Thomas said.

Some Teen Wolf updates would be much appreciated! Particularly Stiles and Lydia-related. –Alexandra
If you’re hoping for something romantic between the former flames, you’re sadly out of luck. But if you’re as into both characters as you appear to be, you’ll definitely be hitting the rewind button during the June 29 premiere. They both deliver insane, gasp-worthy moments that will leave you worried about them for weeks to come.

The CW is withholding The 100‘s Season 3 [for midseason]. Can you please give me some scoop on what to expect? –Spinae02
When I caught up with Marie Avgeropoulos at Upfronts, she suspected that Octavia will continue to be torn between her the-100-205-01origin as one of the Sky People and her new (albeit shunned) status as an honorary Grounder. “Octavia and Lincoln are back in Camp Jaha, which is a very awkward situation for Lincoln, because he’s a Grounder — and at the end of the day so is Octavia,” she reminded. “And yet the strongest alliance is family, is Bellamy — Octavia is the only one [of The 100] with a sibling, so she’s in a really difficult situation. We’ll see what position she takes in Season 3!”

What’s going on with Once Upon a Time‘s Will Scarlett? Is Michael Socha still a series regular? –Emma
I am reminded of the Facts of Life theme song’s opening lyrics as I report that, just as Sean Maguire and Rebecca Mader have been made series regulars for Season 5, Michael Socha alas will not continue to be one — which is not to say we’ve seen the last of Will, however. (This is where y’all get to dream-casting what other show Socha could now join. New Grey’s doc?)

On the Castle TV show, I was wondering if Espo or Ryan are leaving? –Molly
I can confirm that Jon Huertas and Seamus Dever, as well as Tamala Jones, Susan Sullivan and Molly Quinn, all are on board for Season 8 (along with, you know, Nathan and Stana). Penny Johnson Jerald is the only departure.

Send me Wayward Pines updates! –Maarge
“Send”? That seems a tad intimate. OK if I just reply here? Because after Carla Gugino hinted to us that the finale will hint at places to go for any possible Season 2, I checked in with showrunner Chad Hodge, and he made clear that Episode 10 will provide great closure. “There’s a hint of [a future],” he allowed, “but Wayward Pines was always designed to be just these 10 episodes. So the promise that we’ve been making, that there’s a beginning, middle and end, is a real one, and we deliver on it.”

Please, please, please, some Major Crimes scoop! –Ashley
If anyone is crying foul at the real-world implications of a Sharon/Andy, Captain/Detective romance, rest assured that the show will address such issues. “Yes, there are workplace protocol considerations, but mostly they have to do with disclosure,” show boss James Duff notes. “You must disclose if a relationship has gone beyond, ‘We just go to dinner sometimes’ to, ‘No I think our relationship is a little closer than that.'” What’s more, Duff teases, “You also must disclose that information, maybe, to the people you’re living with….”

Can you find out if the fourth season of Major Crimes will be extended from 15 to 19 episodes? –Maayan
Would you settle for 18? Because that is how many you are getting.

Will my guilty pleasure show Wipeout be on this summer? –Ruth
No more big red balls for you! I am told that ABC has no more Wipeout on tap for the future.

I’m excited for Complications - Season 1Matt Nix’s new show, Complications. Any scoop? –Lisa
I must admit, I had some concerns about USA Network’s trajectory, after losing Burn Notice, Psych, Covert Affairs and White Collar in one 15-month swoop. But between Complications – which stars Jason O’Mara and you-ain’t-seen-her-like-this-before Jessica Szohr, and is a very interesting twist on a medical drama (in that it by and large really isn’t one) – and Mr. Robot, whose premiere felt like a very cool techno movie, the cabler is making some bold moves.

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com!  (With reporting by Andy Swift)

1. Mary Kate says:

I’m still holding out hope for stiles and Lydia! Maybe by 5B??? Still psyched for this season, thanks for the scoop!!

2. jeff says:

I hope iZombie can get Peyton back as a series regular. Her character needs to be fleshed out and I want to see her reaction to finding out Liv is a zombie.

3. emily says:

Michael Socha is no longer a series regular on ouat… not surprising since ouat refused to use him other than a 2 second scene here and there. smh.

• MelindaB says:

Can we trade in Zelina for Will? I was excited that Socha would move to OUAT after OUATIW ended, but that was wasted emotion. Please let him find work on a show that I actually watch/would watch!

4. AT says:

So sad Will Scarlet won’t be a regular on OUAT. He was underused last season. I still hope they’ll explain his transition from the other show to this one and what happened with Anastasia.

5. StephonJS says:

poor Michael Socha. this keeps happening every season on OUAT

6. Ian says:

Loved the Mr. Robot premiere. Very much a smart tech-y human thriller.
    And I could take or leave Peyton returning on IZombie. As long as introduce another girlfriend for Liv and love interest for Ravi, she isn’t necessary. I’m still of the mind it would have been cool if they’d let Ravi be gay.

• AddieM says:

Ohh no Ravi can’t be gay coz I kinda ship hi and Liv a lil bit…lol even though I love Major. Peyton has not done enough this season for me to really care if she goes

• murley says:

I prefer Ravi straight and he and Liv as friends. If Rob Thomas proved something with Wallace and Veronica it’s that he can write a great friendship between a guy and a girl without it ever going there. That is a gift!

7. Sara says:

Why people keep insisting in a Stiles & Lydia romance is beyond me…we already saw she prefers douchebags with to much testosterone and is pretty obvious they are only friends and look much better this way.
    Stiles has to much drama coming his way if the trailer is any indication so the romance may be kept in a low..thought I will like to see Stiles with someone else, not Malia, they would have to introduce a much better character to keep up with him and to much time has pass.
    Hope this is a great season.

• Stephanie says:

What a worn out argument. You act as if Stiles has openly admitted feelings to her, he hasn’t. He never admitted to liking her to her face so she doesn’t know. If she is unaware of his feelings and how deep they run how can she be expected to do something about it? And also to counter your argument that might have worked a few seasons ago, both characters have grown. Maybe Lydia wouldn’t have dated Stiles a few seasons ago but she has changed and she has learned from her past relationships. She barley knew Stiles in the first few seasons but now she does and now she cares about him. It wouldn’t have made sense for her to date him when she barley knew him and didn’t know of his feelings for her, that would have been a stupid pairing. As opposed to now when you can see how much they care and know about each other. Its been important to build their relationship as friends before anything because it proves how strong they would be together. If Jeff just threw them together from day one, it wouldn’t make sense. Now, now it would if the timing was right and if they weren’t dating other people. Its okay not to want them together but its annoying to see how many people ignore their progression and act like it’s Lydia’s fault for them not getting together sooner.

8. Jennifer says:

Not at all surprised about Socha but man, what a waste. Shame because I really like his character.

9. Tatiana says:

LOL at the Flash joke. At least it’s clear no one is here for another “Felicity-type” love interest. Excited for a new hero, though!

10. M. says:

If InsideLine would only cover other TNT-shows as much as “Major Crimes” I’d be happy.

I’ve been asking for some scoop on “Rizzoli & Isles” for weeks and there’s nothing :(

11. johnhelvete says:

The Mr Robot pilot is really terrific. Best pilot I have seen in at least a year. Looking forward to Complications.

Matt, you didnt like Satisfaction last summer? I admit the show did get a little less interesting after the pilot, the pilot was an A- the show overall a B-, but the show is worth watching.

12. ellen says:

Would really like to know why Secrets and Lies last episode is still not posted. Great show.

13. Steve F. says:

No Wipeout this summer? Man… then again, seeing how American Ninja Warrior has blown up, I think that took its thunder.

14. John NYC says:

“John Clark” is also a Tom Clancy character for whom that description is pretty close.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Huh — and the character is also described as “Think Harrison Ford.” Fascinating…………. ellipse…..

15. John Line says:

Is there any chance with the escape of Rusties stalker that Chief Johnson will return?

16. HeatherC says:

Dang, I’m bummed about no more Wipeout. I love that show! =( And I would love to see Michael Socha move onto bigger and better things rather than being wasted on the mess that is OUAT anymore. He deserves better than that and I’d be game with him joining GA as a new doc! =)

17. Becky says:

OUAT really dropped the ball with Will’s storyline. He was such a great character. Zelena, on the other hand, needs to disappear again.

• AT says:

This! I can’t stand Zelena. And it’s not a love to hate kind of thing. She’s annoying and this whole story line is stupid.

• Jane says:

I thought I was the only one who couldn’t stand Zelena. I had already been wondering whether I wanted to witch next season and when I read she was going to be a regular that pretty much killed the show for me.

• Syl says:

You are definitely not the only one who can’t stand Zelena. I’m in the exact same boat you are. As soon as I heard that she is a series regular next season, I knew I wouldn’t be watching next season.

18. USA Network also lost Psych in that time period. I’ve kind of given up on USA – the only remaining show I watch is Suits. I was mildly interested in Mr. Robot, but then saw an AWFUL promo that killed any desire to watch the show. Wish USA would schedule more of the “characters welcome” dramedies that made them awesome. Until then, the CW has become my new go-to network.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, PSYCH too! Lemme go add….

• NotBri says:

I’m still not over them axing Covert Affairs. That show had gotten so good!

• Nick says:

I’m still pretty mad about the Sirens cancellation, TBH

• EXACTLY. How they can get rid of such a great show like Sirens and keep crap like “Chrisley Knows Best”. Obviously they didn’t do their background on that guy; sexual harassment suits up the wazoo.

• JBC says:

I miss White Collar the most. USA network has surely changed. I watched the pilot for Mr. Robot and really enjoyed it. I think it might be a success for the network. I will check out Complications because of Matt Nix-Burn Notice creator. Graceland is the only other show I watch on the network anymore.

19. Luis says:

They need someone to fill that helmet that fell out of the wormhole on the “Flash” finale – my eternal pining for “Flash of Two Worlds” continues . . .

20. Mara says:

yay! yay! yay! thanks for the major crimes scoop! shandy ftw :D

21. spindae2 says:

Thx for answering Matt ^^

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You are welcome! We’ll of course get much more at SDCC next month. I was just happy to stand next to Marie for a few minutes :)

• spindae2 says:

I hope TvLine will do a private session with some of The100 cast. Such an amazing show.

SDCC is like a holiday for us TV fanatics. I’ll plan to go in 2017-2018, I’m coming from Serbia.

22. Larc says:

If OUAT isn’t going to use Michael Socha fully, they need to cut him loose so another show can grab him up. He’s far too good an actor for just an occasional short appearance.

• lauren says:

But he *has* been cut loose. If they want him back now, he can simply say no/too busy. Being a series regular simply means if they call, you must come.

• Lily says:

Exactly…. but I still cannot understand why Socha was made a regular, in the first place. The writers never had any plans for him other than comic relief, and even then the scenes were not all that funny.

23. Stephanie says:

While I appreciate you thinking Stiles and Lydia are former flames, they really aren’t. They’ve never dated sadly!

• pep says:

This! I was going to correct him but then I kind of knew someone has already said this in the comments and here you are. We all just kind of wish they were a couple.

• Stephanie says:

Yeah it would be nice if they were actually a couple already. Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part lol.

24. Kripe says:

Thank the gods Sosha is free of that garbage Once.

25. abz says:

I was kind of hoping The Flash would bring back the Pied Piper (Andy Mientus) at some point next season. And I can’t wait for Killer Frost to happen.
    Kind of bummed about that Castle scoop. Would love to see Ryan and Espo leave and have the show bring on some brand new, fresh and interesting characters.

• Nick says:

I’m kinda thinking the opposite about Castle. That Ryan and Espo are the only characters that are interesting.

• abz says:

I just find them annoying. Ryan is boring and nosy. Espo is typically a douche. Any episode centered around them feels like a chore to get through. I don’t find them very interesting. I’m hoping these new showrunners can really shake up the show next season. Can’t keep going the way it has been. Cases are all the same and boring, character story arcs like Castle’s story this season have not been great. They need to put serious effort into making some creative changes to the show, otherwise it could and perhaps should be the final season.

• MelindaB says:

I am not as amused by Ryan/Espo as I once was. It seems as if they consider Castle a friend, until they don’t–they refused to believe him about not remembering his missing time, which I thought was incredibly douchey of them. Had I been Castle, I would have been more hurt and outraged than he was. And then they got mad because Castle and Beckett had the wedding without them?

26. Nick says:

I’m seriously upset about Michael Socha. He was the best part of both OUAT this season and Wonderland.

27. HAP says:

Given the question on Major Crimes brought to mind that in reality its cast is geriatric. Mary McDonnell is 63. Tony Dennison is 65. GW Bailey is 70. Paul Michael Chan is 64. Name another series on TV with a group of main cast actors in that age bracket.

• Tahina says:

..and they look damn good, specially GW Bailey, 70 really! and Tony is freaking sexy as well as Mary McDonnell really knows how to carry it well.

• Mary Ann says:

G.W. Bailey played a recurring character on M*A*S*H* back in the day. He’s been around a long time. One of those guys that always seems to have a job.

28. StephonJS says:

the flash: The Martian ManHunter. John Clark aka J’onn J’onzz

29. arial2 says:

Much as I love James Duff’s work, I have to ask “What universe is he living in regarding office personal relationships?” He might like Sharon/Andy to be okay, but it isn’t. Section 271 of LAPD policy has an interesting note attached to the personal relationships section that says “Off-duty personal relationships not involving a chain-of-command conflict are not reportable as conflicts of interest under this Section.” So that would mean chain-of-command conflict IS a reportable offense. This would be a particularly sensitive issue when it involves a high level officer and a direct subordinate. Military and Police are held to a higher standard than corporations. And, although we know Sharon would never abuse a personal relationship, everything this show has shown about Andy’s sailing close to the wind indicates he WOULD use a personal relationship to his advantage. I didn’t develop the character that way; James Duff did. You can’t yell “do over!” at this point in time without building up a change in behavior. And that would likely change the basic nature of the Flynn/Provenza bromance. Personally, I’d rather sacrifice the idea of Sharon and Andy if it means we get to keep the wonderfully comedic antics of Provenza and Flynn.

• Sally says:

If you read the quote from James Duff above, he is clear that Sharon WILL REPORT the relationship, which will comply with LAPD regs. He is a stickler for authenticity and works closely with an LAPD detective. In fact, he said on a recent Reddit AMA that the reason the show hasn’t given Sharon a promotion yet is because under the regulations, she would have to be transferred if she had a higher rank. As for Flynn using a personal relationship to his advantage, I think one of the great things about the show is that it realistically portrays personalities and relationships. Flynn has grown a lot as a person and a cop since the beginning of The Closer. At the beginning of that show, he never would have been interested in someone as intelligent, powerful, and old as Sharon. He’s grown, as real people do. I have complete faith in James Duff to portray this relationship realisitically. I just wish he’d show MORE of it. These little tidbits are killing me. I wanted to see “the talk.”

30. Jen says:

LOL I appreciate that Iris West joke though I’m still pissed about this “Wendy” character. All I want is for westallen to be together…ugh this show.

31. USA is splitting good & bad moves… “Complications” brings in actresses from “Burn Notice” & “Leverage”, while “Mr. Robot” features the TV Grim Reaper that is Christian Slater!!!

32. Sylvia says:

What a huge disappointment that Will will no longer be on Once. I don’t understand the reasoning sometimes of this show. They bring a character like Will who IMO added a lot of potential and totally underuse and then use in the most horrid way, a love interest for Belle, but then spend almost all of 4a on frozen, and totally underuse the core characters as well. They really dropped theball on Will then gave us that FUBAR’d story of Zelena//Marion/Robin and now Zelena is a regular. Though on this show that is probably not the best. I hope next season the stories are thought out better, not contradicted, characters are not added as an afterthought and characters like Robin and Hook are more than just boytoys!

33. Letti says:

I’m so disapointed in OUaT now. Will was the best in Wonderland, and there he got a great happy ending. But they got him on OUaT last season, and while I was happy to see more of him, I wanted to learn how he got back and what happened to him. But he was so underused last season, it was dissapointing. And they had a whole season, yet we didn’t learn anything about his ‘quest’. Like c’mon, couldn’t they give him just one episode about him? And now he won’t be a regular…It’s reasonable, but disappointing. Now they should just explain him ASAP and send him back to Wonderland to his happy ending. And then Michael Socha can join a series that will use him properly.
    Oh and I love Will,but I don’t care one bit about Robin Hood, and while Zelena was a great villian, it was enough and she shouldn’t stay.
    On iZombie, I hope Peyton will return. I like her and Aly is great. She could be a regular.

34. Dj says:

My first thought was Jay Garrick and It could be done with Barry seeing this cynical hero as what could happen to him. But since they showed Hawkgirl maybe it’s Hawkman.

35. Troublemaker says:

Please, oh please, let Lucas Bryant of Haven be considered for this role! He’s classically handsome, square jawed, rugged, 36 and plays stoic and cynical sooooo well! Great actor and wonderful human being! They’d love this man on set!

36. Mc Dissorder says:

The Flash casting is probably for Jay Garrick

37. I want Wendy to be either Wendy White or Wendy Harris, basically the same version of Wendy from the Superfriends cartoon.