Revenge Series Finale: Nick Wechsler Recalls 'Nightmare' Boat Scene, Jack's 'Weird' Wedding Speech and More

Revenge Series Finale Secrets

Sunday will mark four weeks since Jack and Emily Amanda sailed off into the sunset on Revenge‘s series finale, but that doesn’t mean we’re done talking about it — and neither is Nick Wechsler.

TVLine caught up with the actor formerly known as Jack Porter at the ATX Television Festival, where he happily broke down his thoughts on the show’s farewell hour, including what we didn’t see during his final scene with Emily VanCamp. (Hint: the phrase “it was just terror” comes up.)

TVLINE | Barry Sloane told us he approved of the ending because Jack and Emily were always meant to end up together. Do you feel that’s the ending we were meant to see?
In a way. I spoke with someone recently who told me they thought it was so good that it was bad, like it was too exactly what you would have expected from the beginning, and I kind of agree with them. I think it was basically what a lot of fans wanted, and I wanted something unexpected. I wanted to make a harsher comment on revenge and it’s consequences, so I wish we could have done something a little darker.

TVLINE | Personally, I was glad to see Jack and Emily get a new Sammy — though what a weird wedding gift. So much responsibility.
[Laughs] What a weird wedding speech! I just brought up all these dead people, I don’t know why I did that. … But as long as it works for the fans, that’s all that matters. Being on the inside, I have different ideas about how I’d like to see it done, but if it feels rewarding to the fans, I’m happy.

Revenge Series Finale SecretsTVLINE | Who was watching Sammy 2.0 while Emily and Jack took off on the boat?
Oh man, who knows? He was probably getting knocked around downstairs. … By the way, when we were shooting that scene, it was dire. The waves were choppy as s–t, and the guys who take the boat out for the person who owns it told us it only gets that bad about four times a year. It was really insane. They had to cut around it. In those big shots, and even the one where Emily’s sleeping … oh, God, it was a nightmare. I just think it’s hysterical that if you could zoom in on our faces in that final moment, it was just terror.

TVLINE | Looking back on the four seasons, do you have a favorite Jack moment?
Most of my favorite moments were with Emily. When Sammy died, it was a brutal, honest, open moment. She was a great scene partner for those kinds of things. We both look back on that scene and think, “F–k, that’s one of the proudest moments we had.” I also really liked when I went after Amanda in the hotel room to confront her and she wants the tapes … that was another scene I really loved. And when I lost Amanda and was in the hospital and had to try to take down Conrad. Jack spent a lot of time in the hospital.

TVLINE | Sometimes because of Courtney Love! What was it like working with her?
I never thought I’d be doing a scene with her. I actually didn’t do the fight sequence with her; I did it with a stunt double. So they had me lay down, then Courtney Love straddles me and threatens me with a knife and then they cut. That was it. Like, “Nice to meet you!”

Revenge fans, what are your thoughts on the series finale, four weeks later? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Anthonyjeselnikfan says:

Anyone who says “choppy as sh*t” seems like a good dude to me. I like him

2. diane says:

Love him, ever since Roswell.

3. Bartbro says:

It may have been what most fans wanted! It was and I enjoyed it tremendously! Thank you !

4. shutuprob says:

I thought the ending, with Amanda sailing off with Jack into the sunset as pretty much every fan wanted, was the right ending because, well, Amanda was just as much a victim of revenge as everyone else was. Her father basically used her to wreak revenge on the Graysons — given that Amanda is the daughter of a severely mentally ill mother, David could have and should have stopped Amanda’s revenge plot at any point in the previous decade since she was sprung from juvie — and Victoria couldn’t help but always retaliate because that’s all she’d ever been allowed to do by the controlling Conrad, having been married to him for decades. So the Two Graves of the episode title being David’s and Victoria’s rather than Amanda’s or anybody else’s were the right ones.
    Yes, to some extent, I’m saying that Amanda should be let off the hook entirely because she’s a little bit mentally ill, but honestly, I have no problem with that because Amanda never actually intended for anyone, even Victoria, to die — except Conrad, at the hands of the legal system, after clearing her father of Conrad’s crimes. She clearly thought that up and murdering anyone (as directly opposed to killing anyone in self-defense during a fight) was letting them off too easy, so she had a better-developed sense of morality than usual for the rare someones in her position. Ultimately, Amanda and Jack and their relationship with each other are all the diametric opposites of David, Victoria and their mutually destructive and mutually self-destructive relationship. All the deaths and all the damaged lives of those who survived, including Amanda, were the collateral damage of Victoria betraying David and David using Amanda as a proxy to exact his own revenge on her.

5. N says:

I miss Revenge!

6. Letti says:

LOL he didn’t like the ending. But whatever, I loved it and it was completely rewarding. One of the best finales ever for me.

7. Pedro says:

It sounds like this set was tense. None of the actors seem satisfied with the way the show unravelled in their interviews.

• Hurding Katz says:

That’s because the show didn’t end. In your own word, it “unravelled.” The final season was a lot of starts, stops, dead ends and broken promises. The arc of the seed revenge plot ended midseason, with Daniel’s death as did the new arc of the big bad after Dad. It was followed by a lot of filler. The writing may have been on the wall, but it didn’t make it to the screen, more’s the pity.

In order to gather the crumbs of the core story — usually embodied as meaningful looks from Victoria or Emily/Amanda — we had to endure the broken story promises. Margo’s family and business intrigue; the social-worker love story; a wasted comedy pairing; stalkerish behaviour; family reconciliation (two, actually); political intrigue; a new family psychodrama; and a got-bucks with a mission were never developed. They came. They fell off a cliff (one literally.)

The last episode was left to tie up ALL (but two: one old, one recent) of the loose threads, (Jack returning to town, the puppy, the frame job, the wedding, the tearful recriminations, the showdown, the final revenge, dad’s passing). It was a season’s worth of core-story material pressed into one hour, when it could have played out in place of the half-season of nothing.

In the end, it was too neat, too clean. Too bad.

• Shirley says:

I finally got people to watch the show and it ends…bummer! What happened people were asking me! I said ABC doesn’t know a good thing when they see it! This was the only show I always looked forward to seeing on Sunday nights, and what do I have now… ah nothing! I don’t even watch TV any more on Sunday’s! Can’t wait till football season!

8. I think the fact that Nick Wechsler is such a down-to-earth guy helped make Jack Porter such a down-to-earth guy. (That’s called great casting.)

9. Ronnie Darby says:

As a writer, it could have been much more “artsy” and cleaver. However, as a real fan of the show and vested in the characters, any other ending would have left a terrible aftertaste. One can’t help but personally experience the darker side of living, so one escapes into fantasy. Fantasy, for me, should take the edge off, and the finale did that for me. It was perfect.

10. lisa cortese says:

I miss this show. I adored it since day 1! I can’t wait to see what the actors get into next, especially Emily, Nick and the guy who plays Nolan whose name is escaping me at the moment. I was very satisfied with the ending. If anyone hasn’t seen this show yet, I suggest spending the summer watching it.a really well made show with great characters <3

11. I’ve watched the show from the first episode I love this show i was ecstatic about jack and Emily getting back together after all these years I was also on edge because I couldn’t wait to see what happened with Victoria I would watch it over and over again

12. B says:

I liked him from the beginning. The cast of Revenge was stellar. I wish them well. I’m looking for bright things in their futures especially Emily!

13. B says:

The first season was one the best seasons of TV ever!

14. Going miss my Revenge, but glad Jack & Amanda finally got together..

15. Sarah UK says:

Angel had a `darker` ending and I’ve never really gotten over it! Lol! I’m glad Jack and Amanda got their happily ever after ending. It just aired here in the UK and I loved every minute of it!

16. Helen Clay says:

Loved it.everyone got what they deserved
    Hope there is a season 5.

• Dave says:

Revenge has been cancelled!
      There won’t be a Season 5!
      But I am hoping there will be a Nolan Ross spin off TV show!

17. Television Watcher says:

Reblogged this on The Television Watcher and commented:
    Super cool interview that Nick Wechsler did with TV Line. Check out the article.

18. Jodee Ortiz says:

Revenge is an amazing series and Amanda,David,Jack,and Nolan are amazing people.I would do anything to meat these guys and anything to have a picture with my arm around Jack,he is one of the most gorgeous men I have seen in along time,and Amanda could teach me some of her badass skills.This is one of my favorite shows!!!!!