Revenge's Emily VanCamp Speaks Out: Did Emily Really Get Victoria's Heart?

Revenge Series Finale

Despite the many storylines wrapped during last week’s Revenge series finale, viewers were left with one intentionally ambiguous question: Did Emily receive Victoria’s heart?

“It’s a fun question for the audience to toy with: If it did happen, what does that mean?” Revenge showrunner Sunil Nayar told TVLine after the finale aired. “It’s a bizarrely theoretical cliffhanger, which I hope inspires conversation. I like the debate of it.”

Well, unfortunately for Nayar, it appears the debate has reached an early conclusion. Star Emily VanCamp on Sunday night used Twitter to put all heart-related rumors to rest:

Of course, VanCamp isn’t the only Revenge star who’s attempted to set the record straight since the finale aired. In fact, Madeleine Stowe gave TVLine the inside scoop on the big twist, including how it changed from script to screen:

“When we did the table read, it absolutely happened,” Stowe told us. “But they wanted to go for a little more poetry and have it be in her psyche so that you saw she was troubled by this. They’d never tell a transplant recipient who gave the heart unless both sides agreed to it. In the original draft, it absolutely happened.”

How do you feel, Revenge fans? Are you anti-transplant, like VanCamp? Or would you rather it be ambiguous, like Nayar? And what could have possibly triggered this truth bomb, a full week later? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Impossible. Victoria was always heartless. (Good night!)

2. misty85 says:

I’m glad they left it open for the possibility… I personally believe she did get Victoria’s heart, it was kind of the ultimate karma for both of them as they both would hate the notion of it being true. I enjoyed the sail off in to the sunset ending (mainly because I’ve always wanted Jack/Amanda as endgame) but the heart thing topped it off as for me as a classic revenge twist. Although it seemed rushed, I was more than satisfied with the finale.

• Max says:

The heart twist was really good, but having Jack/Emily end up was regressing her back to being 9 years old. Even the real Count of Monte Christo didn’t have that sappy ending, shame that the writers didn’t take note.

• lorna says:

You may not have liked the couple, but they did belong together. I wish we had a lot more jemily. We really didn’t have a sex scene.

• rinaex says:

Yes, belonged together after they killed off every other contender, who were all more popular than Jack. Except that last guy, no one cared.

• Joy1013 says:

Amanda always loved jack but couldn’t be with him because of her revenge when she had her emily identity. The other guys just got her prepared to be with jack in the end. U can love many times but only are meant for one true love.

• Joy1013 says:

They did belong together and loved the ending! Waited 4 seasons to see it happen!

3. AddieM says:

I saw that truth bomb tweet too and leaped for joy…but I know in the Revenge universe, Emily will forever be haunted by that dream…if only she knew what we now know lol :)

4. EJ says:

How could it be possible? It was clearly a dream. There was no way Amanda heard Charlotte and the doctor say what they did while she was unconscious! Good for Emily VanCamp for setting things straight, anyway.

5. Sammy says:

I agree with Sunil’s version. Its something that people all over the world will have to think about and debate, love or hate. Its the smartest thing they have done since the premiere and the death switcheroo in season 2 for Victoria.

6. Lili Stuart says:

We will forgive, forget anything if you’ll just give us back our REVENGE!!

7. Mandy says:

I think Madeline Stowe commenting last week and now Emily commenting this week is just part of the debate drama. I personally don’t think she got Victoria’s heart due to the fact that Victoria’s heart may not have been viable because of how long she laid dead. I don’t know, I know nothing about the medical field.

8. Brandy says:

I viewed it as just a dream too. I’m surprised people think it was meant to be real.

9. Anthonyjeselnikfan says:

If one thing is clear it is this – Emily Van Camp is NOT a fan of Sunil. She has made no secret of that in almost every interview this year by taking the opposite view of Sunil every chance she gets. It’s getting old.

10. laurelnev says:

Emilymanda did NOT get Vicki’s heart; the dream is a reminder of how Victoria, and the past few years, will always haunt her. She’ll never truly get away or be able to let it go.

11. Alex says:

Who cares, actually? The show is over.

12. Luiz says:

It’s pretty clear that Emily DID receive Victoria’s heart. Too bad Nayar cowardly decided to make it seem like just a dream. If he had guts, that could have made up for one of the most boring, un-original and bland series finales in TV history.

13. dsrbroadway says:

I’m her Twitter’s blown up with that damn question, so she probably had to end the debate by giving an answer.

14. jj says:

Based on the injuries, I don’t see how it would be possible. Victoria would have needed to be brain dead but still have her heart be functional.

15. Dude says:

Emily and Madeline disagreeing on the cliffhanger is such a Revenge thing to do.

16. JKR says:

Is no one catching the joke? Of course she’s right. Emily did NOT get Victoria’s heart…. because SHE died in a boat accident. Amanda, however, “may” have.

17. The answer to the question is very simple.

Hearts are not readily available on a moment’s notice at the snap of the fingers or blink of an eye. Unless someone wants to suggest Amanda got a heart because she is rich, odds are the heart belonged to Victoria, and that is the perfect ending..

18. LT says:

Y’all know you’re debating over two fictional characters on a TV show that is now over, right?

19. Ana Polanco says:

Now what am I suppose to do on Sunday night. Is there going to be a sequel or something similar? I absolutely love this series. Give us another please

20. Dennis says:

Emily VanCamp played this character masterful until the end, I’m sure she wanted Emanda to have an honest, happy ending, and with no secrets between her and Charlotte. So, I think she just wanted to set the record straight!

21. Davey says:

I like it better that Emily did not receive Victoria’s heart but has dreams about it. That is enough for me.

22. and the real question here: did they really needed 23 eps of this season when they could’ve ended it with 88 episodes total…this makes me cringe /got it? double infinity?/

23. Jan says:

Glad that was cleared up. It made no sense that Amanda received Victoria’s heart. There wasn’t any way Charlotte was her healthcare proxy. It would have been David, Nolan or Jack. I doubt they would have agreed to this. It seemed sinister.

24. Bill says:

There’s nothing ambiguous about it. Nightmare.

25. James says:

It’s interesting that it’s a nagging question for a lot of people. I guess these same people would need an answer to inception’s ending

26. Blukik says:

The best movie so far not long too not short its intresting to watvh a serious which has not gone far and become tiredy ….

27. Cherry says:

You can’t transplant a dead heart and Victoria looked dead to me!

28. RevengeFan says:

Wow! I don’t know if Charlotte would have done that to Emily? Because she knows that if Emily had of found out she’d rip that heart out. I’d like to think that it didn’t come from her and actually came from someone else? But I’m glad it ended and didn’t leave us hanging.

• am so sorry Revenge is over with, now we have trash shows and not worth watching, does it really matter if Emily got Victoria`s heart since she never had one and only thought about Victoria. When are the networks going to get smart about what show to cancel, some of the new ones about to air should be gone before they start. Jolianofwww.jolianoffl.com

29. David says:

WTFinale???Did you REALLY think hard about this? WE NEED REVENGE PEOPLE PLEASE!!

30. Maui marlo says:

Thanks for clarifying that i thought it was in her head…I miss revenge SOOO much withdraw !!!!

31. Maui marlo says:

Thanks for clarifying that i thought it was in her head..I’m glad jack and emily ended as soul mates as well as Nolan …I did feel the end was so abrupt and it tied up very quickly …but it made its point .I still miss revenge SOOO much withdraw !!

32. Don Rudolph says:

No way it actually happened. Charlotte’s “Mother would have wanted it that way” comment is something she never would have said in those circumstances. She’d be more likely to dance around singing “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” and saying it served Victoria right that she’d die and provide Emily/Amanda with what she needed to live.

33. It`s too bad this show was cancelled, if you see the previews of what`s coming this fall might as well not watch anything, I looked forward to Revenge each week the only good thing on the air even if Victoria was a mean and hateful bitch. Bring back REVENGE. Jolian

34. Lynne Seymour says:

I loved the show and hope it will be picked up! It at times kept you at the edge of your seat!!