Revenge Finale Gets Barry Sloane's Seal of Approval: 'Emily and Jack Were Always Supposed to End Up Together'

Revenge Finale Emily Jack

Two weeks after the series finale of Revenge, fans remain plagued by several irksome questions, including this particularly divisive issue: When all was said and done, did Emily Amanda really marry the love of her life?

Many fans believe that, had Aiden not been killed in Season 3, he would have been the one standing beside Amanda at the altar. If you count yourself among them, it might interest you to know that the late Mr. Mathis — or at least his portrayer Barry Sloane — believes everything worked out for the best.

“I think Emily and Jack were always supposed to end up together,” Sloane tells TVLine, adding that Aiden “really messed up that ride for a little bit. When he came in, it was supposed to establish that Daniel and Jack were Emily’s two options — but suddenly, Aiden became a third option.”

Ultimately, Sloane gives his blessing to the newlyweds: “I think it’s the right thing, considering [Daniel and Aiden] are both dead,” he says with a laugh.

Barry Sloane The WhispersSloane returns to ABC this Monday (10/9c) on the supernatural mystery drama The Whispers, playing a high-ranking official in the U.S. Department of Defense, a role he says couldn’t be more different from his Revenge persona.

“There wasn’t much scope for emotion with Aiden,” Sloane says. “He was so damaged that he almost became a brick wall, which affected all of my choices as an actor. It’s nice to play someone who hasn’t done all that work on himself, to see how he’d react in a crisis. Wes doesn’t always deal with things well; he breaks too soon. There’s a vulnerability to this character, which I’m excited for people to see.”

Revenge fans, do you agree that Jack was always meant to be Amanda’s last love, or do you wish Aiden could have lived to see himself become Mr. Amanda Clarke? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Missy Kelly says:

Don’t care much for horror or “scary” and wasn’t planning on watching The Whispers but will record the first episode just to see Barry Sloane. After Revenge, I am a fan.

2. B says:

Not too interested in The Whispers, didn’t realize this guy was in it. I was going to tune in for Rabe, and probably still will, but I doubt his acting will improve spectacularly on the new show.

3. Ian says:

The Whispers is going to get cancelled so fast and hard, I truly almost feel bad.

4. Letti says:

I felt sorry for Aiden when he died, but I’ve always thought that Jack and Emily had to be endgame. So I’m happy it became true. And well, I’ve always thought Aiden won’t live to see that.
    I’m interested in The Whispers. I hope I’ll like it.

5. Max says:

I wish Barry the best of luck with his new show. As for Revenge, they mucked it up by not letting Emily be a strong independent female – her love interests destroyed the show. Having her marry Jack was setting back female empowering. She should have chosen herself.

• Pedro says:

Getting married makes you less of a woman? What?

• Lauren.m says:

Um, what? You think women can only be empowered if they’re single?

• Letti says:

I don’t get your opinion. She was in love with Jack since she was a child. Why should she have chosen ‘herself’? Why should she have stayed single? It wouldn’t have made her happy. I don’t think marrying Jack would change her or make her any less. She deserved to be happy, and let’s face it, she always wanted Jack.

6. Julian says:

I always thought that Emily had so much more chemistry with Aiden and Daniel than with Jack. I would prefer to see her get married with Aiden and even when they start to change Daniel for good he was a better option

• rinaex says:

She really did. You notice they had to kill off the other two options to make Jack and Emily viable.

• kiwirevengefan says:

Exactly. At the wedding there was so few of Emily’s friends left to attend. Jack won by being the last man standing.

• Even if Daniel lived, I don’t think he would’ve ended up with Amanda. He was going to have a family with Margaux. He even said she (Margaux) was the only woman he really loved.

• emily says:

they didn’t kill off Emily’s other love interests to make Jack viable. they were willing to kill them, bc they were expendable. they weren’t as important to the story as jack was. he and emily were always suppose to end up together.

7. Julia says:

Yes they should be together.

8. Steph says:

I wish it would have been Aiden and Emily in the end. I stopped watching when Aiden died. Looking forward to seeing Barry in The Whispers.

9. Diane says:

I was never an Aiden fan. I agree with him that Emily/Amanda and Jack were supposed to end up together. I would have been mad if they didn’t.

10. Ashton says:

Honestly, of Emily’s three choices, Aiden was my least favorite for her. However, I did like Aiden as a revenge partner so I was very bummed that he died.

11. Natalie says:

Stopped watching the show when Aiden died, so you can imagine my answer.

12. ChrisGa says:

Loved Barry Sloane on Revenge and still say Aiden was Emily’s one true love.

13. Tvfan says:

It was always Jack. She just needed to believe she was worthy.

• Allie says:

Perfectly said. :)

• kiwirevengefan says:

You think Emily needed to be worthy of Jack? Personally I don’t think Jack was worthy of Emily. The amount of times he did not believe Ems or Nolan and deliberately wrecked their plans. He stuffed up so many times. The only reason Emily married him was because he was the last man standing.

14. Jen says:

It should have been Aiden. They had a real connection based on who they were as adults, not children. The scene that convinced me was the episode where her mom comes back. Aiden finds her sitting in her house alone after she remembers what her mom did and when he goes to comfort her, she started hitting him but he just hugged her anyway while she cried. Aiden knew when to comfort (even if she wasn’t willing to admit she needed it), when to talk her down, and when to force an issue. Aside from the night Sammy died, she never had that kind of connection with Jack – he was more of a self-righteous, critical big brother. Daniel was the best second choice. But from day 1, Jack was the planned endgame and they intended to make sure that happened – by killing off all other possibilities.

15. Jon says:

i think Jack and Amanda were really supposed to be the end game. Problem is, they brought in Aiden who she had crazy chemistry with. They probably did ‘t expect people would root for them as a couple. They made more sense than Jack and Amanda.

16. Kellen says:

Aiden was the love of Emily’s life, the only person in her life who understood her. She said herself that she’d never loved anyone as much as him.

17. Sara says:

I really liked that Aiden knew and understood Emily/Amanda. He could relate much more to who she was and her motivations. They made a pretty great couple and I admit to being devastated when he was killed. But at the same time, I don’t know if either of them could have really and truly let go of the revenge lifestyle in the long run together and just settle down. Maybe she ultimately needed someone like Jack, who could support her endeavors up to a certain point, but then also showed her a life beyond and separate from Revenging. I’m good with her ending up with Jack, but I would have been just as happy if Aiden had lived and they’d ended up together.

• kiwirevengefan says:

And yet in the end scene it seems as if Emily still cannot ever let go of the revenge lifestyle. I predict they would divorce within a few years of marriage. Emily would just get so bored with boring Jack.

18. Scott says:

Aiden was her one true love

19. Kathy says:

I agree with what Jen, Jon, & Kellen said. We read, we heard several times the endgame was for Amanda & Jack together, but indeed! Aiden was written in and the writers? were surprised how many fans REALLY liked him! Jack really didn’t understand Emily, but as you all said==Aiden did. And she understood him. Considering that as actors, they had real life relationships outside of the show, makes their chemistry even more remarkable==good acting! Wonder what would have happened if he hadn’t been killed off? Since the show became what it became, I can live with her & Jack==it’s better than her being killed @ the end, but in my heart, it’s ‘Team Aimily’ forever! And, oh, btw TVLine, Aiden would have NEVER been Mr. Amanda Clarke==he supported her revengagenda for one reason: get it done, to get her out, to be WITH HIM.

Good Luck to Barry in his new show and future projects.

20. Gabrielle says:

Seeing as how we got way more romance screen time with Aiden then we really ever got with Jack I was a lot more Team Aiden (pre-death obviously) but seeing as how he wasn’t available. I’ll swallow the Jack/Emily marriage just fine just as the Barry did just fine.

21. grace says:

I loved Aiden & Emily the most

22. Bella says:

Not me, I loved Aiden and Emily, never saw the appeal of Jack & Emily even at the very end.

23. Joey D says:

Aiden was a perfect match for Emily Thorne. When she revealed herself to be Amanda Clarke, she than became a match with Jack as she always felt was her destiny. Over the 4 years, Aiden was the best chemistry.

24. Mr D says:

I think he played Aiden brilliantly, but I was never a big Aimily fan, their “relationship” was very exhausting, so much make up break up, the stupid plot with them wanting to live on some lonly island forever after revenge (yeah, for about 2 weeks, and then?), the awful engagement in that context, way too much time was spent on that on the show. Way too much time was spent on Emily’s love interests in general in my opinion, and as mentioned by Berry in the article three’s a crowd, especially when it comes to love interests. Jack and Daniel were already enough.

25. Romyna Mar says:

I always knew Jack and Amanda were going to be endgame, it was pretty obvious! And as Sunil Nayar said in an interview “the question of who did Emily (Emily VanCamp) really love – Daniel (Josh Bowman), Aiden (Barry Slone) or Jack (Nick Wechsler) – will also be addressed in the finale!”, and there was this moment in the finale, before they made love, when Ems told Jack “… I know things got complicated since then with Aiden and Amanda, but I never stopped feeling that way when I was around you.”; and there was also another moment in the previous episode when she told Jack ” …but I was five minutes too late, maybe… four years too late.”, which implies that if she could go back in time she wouldn’t have been with anyone else

26. Jack and the Amanda he married.Emily and Aiden, but both died.

27. Ethan (rather go by matthew) Satkowski says:

Everybody makes mistakes and the parents did make it right so no it shouldn’t be canceled

28. Aphr0dit3 says:

I think the finale is bull. When it was Team Daniel or Team Jack, I was rooting for Team Daniel and when Aiden showed up, I was Team Aiden all the way. The reason the show couldn’t survive another season is the death of the main cast and yes, I know Aiden was not introduce until the 2nd season. I’m curious though, if Barry Sloane didn’t leave the show, would the end game have been Amanda and Jack or Amanda and Aiden? I don’t think the writers of the show expected the popularity of of Amanda/Emily and Aiden. Throughout the series finale, I was waiting for Emily to say goodbye to Aiden, maybe visit his grave, since she visited FauxManda’s grave and even walked by Victoria’s grave. But no, we get nothing. I think Jack’s speech during the wedding may have lumped Ben and Aiden’s name together, but I’m not positive. I’m glad the show ended and will now be a dedicated fan to “The Whispers.” Maybe Emily VanCamp can hop on over and be his love interest now that Revenge has ended.

29. Ugonna Wosu says:

He’s right in the sense that jack and Emily were the original endgame, but I believe aiden became the love of her life. However, since sloane wanted to leave, it made it easier for the writers to go through with jack and Emily.