Nashville Recap: The Dawn of 'Deyna'

Nashville Rayna Deacon Meet Recap

A quick user’s guide to this week’s Nashville:

1. Keep your thumb hovered over your remote’s rewind button
2. The first time you view the various flashbacks to Deacon’s early years, including the epic moment when he and Ms. Rayna Jaymes first lock eyes, focus on nothing but their hair. Their giant, never-met-a-tease-comb-it-didn’t-like hair. (Don’t worry; this will be your first inclination, anyway.)
3. Press rewind.
4. Pay less attention to the ‘dos and more attention to the CGI work that de-ages Charles Esten and Connie Britton. It’s mesmerizing. (Again, this will happen naturally.)
5. Press rewind.
6. Now, with all of that out of the way, focus on the sentiment conveyed in the scenes — but don’t worry if you have to tap that button a few more times, so distracted are you by the exquisite Delia’s-ness of mid-’90s Rayna.

PHOTOS May Sweeps/Finale Preview: 100+ Spoilers and Exclusive Pics From Your Favorite Shows, Including Nashville

Watching our two favorites meet brings up some important questions. Chief among them: Would young Mr. Claybourne and his redheaded soulmate still have set off on their decades-long love affair if they knew it would involve tears, arguments, tears, break-ups, tears, fudged paternity, yawn-worthy placeholders and unfortunate tank-top-vest combos?

While you’re pondering that, feel free to muse about whether Juliette’s new-mom flailing is a sign of something more serious, what Teddy could possibly offer the feds in exchange for his freedom, whether Gunnar and Scarlett should really be in a band together if they can’t make it through an episode without arguing and where in the name of the International Male catalog Will has disappeared to?

Let’s review what happens in “Time Changes Things.”

RELATED May Sweeps Scorecard: Weddings, Deaths, Breakups, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

HELICOPTER MOM | Juliette thinks Avery is mad when he shows up at band practice with Cadence in her car seat, but he reassures his wife/bandmate — as he hands the baby off to Emily like she’s a pile of dry cleaning — that all he wants to do is help her find a balance. Their moment of marital equilibrium is broken by Glenn saying “We’ve got a problem.” (Side note: If Bucky and Glenn had a dollar for every time they had to utter that line, they’d be able to start their own damn label.)

The problem at hand: No promoter will back a Juliette tour, given that she’s been out of the game for a while and that her shows weren’t selling out even before she had the baby. Bucky counsels a gradual approach to rebuilding her brand, but Ju’s never been the patient type. So pretty soon, she’s saying things like, “Glenn, I need a helicopter.”

NashvilleNo, Juliette’s not launching an air assault on the Highway 65 offices. (Though I have no doubt she could do so successfully.) She’s putting on a surprise concert on the H65 rooftop, and it’s a hit. Juliette/Hayden looks amazing, the song is great and kicky, and a giant crowd gathers to watch Ms. Barnes’ comeback. Ju is so juiced up afterward, she demands elevator nookie of her willing husband, then proceeds to get on him like me on a cake pop when I have a free pastry coupon at Starbucks. Later, at home, Avery is jazzed when Cadence wakes up for her evening feeding. Juliette looks way less excited about the whole deal.

RELATED Quotes of the Week: Zingers From Nashville, SNL, NCIS and More

A SIS DIS | Rayna tells Deacon she’s heading to New York for a business meeting, but she’s actually traveling to Natchez, Miss. She’s there to lobby his sister, Beverly, to donate part of her liver so he’ll live. “You know he’s got way too much pride to beg. But I don’t,” Rayna says frankly. “Please, please save his life.”

Beverly continues to be the absolute worst by refusing to comply. She fixates on how Rayna “stole” her career by luring Deacon away on tour — a moment we see via flashback. We also see the aforementioned first time Rayna and Deke notice each other, which takes place when she wanders into The Bluebird while he and Beverly are on stage. (Side note: I’m pretty sure I owned that dragonfly necklace, or one very similar to it, in my 20s. Remember how, for a while, everything was covered in dragonflies and/or glitter?)

The only thing these flashbacks prove, aside from the fact that a weathered Deacon is a far sexier Deacon, is that Beverly has been a horrible piece of horribleness for-freaking-ever. The indefatigable Ms. Jaymes sticks around all night, even watching Bev sing (rather well) at a local bar, and compliments her afterward. But Beverly and her stupid peekaboo-shoulder shirt huff off in anger, so Rayna eventually brings the battle down to Bev’s trashy level: She drops a $1 million check in the (for once) speechless shrew’s hands, effectively buying Deacon a liver… if Beverly complies.

Nashville Rayna Deacon Meet RecapPARTY FOUL | Jade and Luke are over. Reason: He doesn’t love the her big spectacle of a life (but I secretly think he’s bummed to find out her Los Angeles mansion has such an obvious greenscreen behind it. That thing is Castle levels of rough, y’all.) Jeff and Layla are… unclear. She makes him attend a big party at Jade’s place, then drinks too much and makes out with a ridiculous dude named Sully who has lady hair. When Jeff angrily wonders what she’s doing, Layla slurs that being seen as Sully’s saliva receptacle will be good for her image — an argument that might hold more sway if both of her eyeballs could focus on Jeff at the same time. When she passes out in Jade’s front yard, Jeff tweets a photo of Layla, Lady Hair and Jade from earlier that evening — that Jade had explicitly asked Layla to keep to herself — from Ms. Grant’s account. (Side note: I very much enjoyed when Luke and Jeff did their best Statler and Waldorf impressions while grumbling about being the oldest guys at Jade’s bash.)

RASH DECISIONS | Deacon walks in on Maddie and Colt putting their clothes on, prompting my favorite line of the night from Deke: “You need to run,” he tells the boy, who indeed skedaddles away from his girlfriend’s angry dad. “You need to run away from me right now.” (Ha!) When Juliette happens to stop by, she helps a freaking Deacon by sussing out that Colt’s stallion might’ve gotten a rub-down, but he never actually left the stable: In other words, the teens didn’t have sex. The Juliette-Maddie scene is really lovely — I’ve liked that odd friendship since the beginning of last season — and it goes a long way to helping Deacon and Maddie not be super weird around each other later in the episode.

Meanwhile, Maddie’s other dad, Teddy, fields a call from Ol’ Leopard Panties: She’s still in Nashville, she was wearing a wire, and he’s in a buttload of trouble because the feds are coming for him. (Side note: And yet, it still takes them until the end of the episode to make contact.) Teddy buys both of his kids nice Tiffany necklaces (to remember him by) and preps to go on the lam — but an old friend who works at the U.S. Attorney’s office shows up and says he can help Mr. Mayor out of his jam. We don’t know yet what he wants in return, but you just know it’s not good. And because it’s a spectacularly bad decision that will eventually get Teddy in even deeper trouble, odds are that he’ll be cool with it.

RELATED Nashville to Introduce Will’s Dad

KILEY DROPS ANOTHER BOMB | Kiley shows up at Gunnar’s, looking for Micah. Gunny is angry at her for a lot of very understandable reasons, but then she tells him that Jason raped her one night when they were all younger and drunk, and that changes things. In her defense, she claims she never knew for certain that Michal wasn’t Gunnar’s, and I think I believe her.

Scarlett tries to help but winds up getting into a row with her bandmate, who finally admits that he doesn’t like Caleb and who mocks Scarlett for the fancy dress she wears to one of Hot Doctor’s work functions. You listen to me, Gunnar: For once, Scarlett is wearing something that can’t double as a doily. LAY OFF. So Scar winds up at Caleb’s place for the evening, while Gunnar listens while Kiley tells him she “really did love” him. Great.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? (Notting Hill as the best romcom of all time? Please.) Sound off in the comments?

1. bill says:

Maddie got a hug from her dad after she skipped school to have almost-sex in her dad’s house. Good parenting? I don’t think so. Also, Layla sure is a sloppy drunk.

2. Isadora says:

That Green screen situation was just wrong… So bad… 😌

3. Tarajifan says:

Come on, best line of the night was Glenn to Bucky “welcome to my world.”

4. april-ann says:

That was truly an awesome recap to something I, humbly, feel was filler. This episode solidified some things we already knew, or are about to know, but it was still fun. This show is fun. Period. Love sweet Scarlett and the doctor, finally someone who really likes her, wants to be with her and dare I say that overused word? – appreciates her. Oh well, this show by its very being begs for overused words.

5. Anna says:

Juliette was great in all her scenes and surprisingly Gunnar and Kiley were just okay although I don’t fully understand why she’s back. Guest stars seem to have more screen time on this show.
    The whole ‘in malibu’ was outrageous and excessive and not believable.

Looks like Rayna finally breaks down in next week’s ep based on the promo – we must have some good deyna scenes in the remaining two episodes.

6. I had a few main thoughts:

1] Beverly could’ve gone from backup singer to star. (I believe Sheryl Crow started out that way.)

2] I figured everyone would expect Maddie & Colt to be doing that (the way kids age 5 years over a TV Summer) once it was confirmed their respective parents’ marriage was off.

3] I missed a few episodes earlier this year, so I have no clue what Teddy might be saving himself from other than TMZ or the like letting the news out about the prostitutes,

7. Lucie says:

You are so right about the weathered Chip being so much hotter than the younger Chip. He was on The Office for a season pretty early in the series and I couldn’t believe the difference. Young Chip was way too boyish to be hot.

• I thought all of the younger versions were a bit creepy. Rayna, for instance, was freckle-free and it looked like her face was pulled tight by some vice-grip. Deacon has aged quite well.

• Amie says:

Young Deacon looked pretty silly, but Young Chip was cute even back in Whose Line (England) days. His hair was wonky in those days, but he was still cute.

• ellieca says:

On the show last night he looked like a wax figure, ,losing the character in his face, which, though different when he as younger, was still there, from pictures i’ve seen.

8. Jill says:

Aubrey Peeples must have felt right at home in this episode because the CGI was Sharknado level bad. What in the world were the producers of this show thinking? Deacon and Rayna were supposed to have been 19 and 16 when they met. I don’t care how much CGI you use, Chip Esten and Connie Britton cannot play teenagers! Plus the CGI was just plane awful. It was so distracting that it was hard to get anything out of those scenes. I really felt for the actors. There are other ways to tell backstory without flashbacks, or use younger actors. So glad Xtina is finally gone. That woman cannot act, and every scene with her in it in this episode reminded me of a bad movie on USA Up All Night if we’re keeping with the 90s theme. The only thing that saved this episode was the Juliette storyline. Other than that I will not be rewinding a second of this episode.

9. Love your recaps!!! Maybe they didn’t want to use younger actors because they know how much fans like Rayna and Deacon and wanted it to be them in the scene…I don’t know, but I am happy we saw when they met. Super happy there was a Maddie & Juliette scene! Other than all that Malibu stuff that (again) not many of us care to watch, I enjoyed this episode. Really hope there’s more Rayna and Deacon stuff in the last 2 episodes. Cmon ABC, #RenewNashvilleS4

10. murn says:

I really hope those flashbacks were how Beverly perceived things because there’s no way, even with CGI, that Deacon and Rayna were 19 and 16 in that retelling. I get so annoyed with how the writers just ignore or rewrite show history.

11. Nancy says:

I don’t understand why Reyna didn’t offer Deacon’s sister a recording contract! That would make a lot more sense than a check for a million dollars. After all, that is what his sister thinks she was cheated out of by Reyna…a big career.

• Jill says:

That’s what I thought was going to happen too

• wrstlgirl says:

The money gets her what she needs and that’s the end of it A recording contract keeps the selfish b*tch in their lives for the duration.

• Tina says:

YES! That’s what I thought too. Giving her a check was kinda an insult. If she had sincerely offered Bev a recording contact (with a big payoff), if would have given her the respect she craves. Rayna does seem to forget about her label a lot, however, so maybe she just forgot that she owns HWY 65 :).

• Nancy says:

Well, reflecting on another comment, I believe Rayna would like Bev out of her and Deacon’s life, and a recording contract would not accomplish that. BUT, I won’t like to see Deacon’s reaction when he finds out Rayna has tried to buy him a new liver, or does so.

As for Teddy’s line, the way they have set it up, it is pure entrapment. And even if the Feds were investigating a prostitution ring (why would they do that, unless there was a Congressman involved?), prostitution is not a federal crime, and usually is nothing more than a misdemeanor.
        The whole arc was unbelievable.

12. Nancy says:

And, while I am at it, how convenient for Teddy to have the US Attorney offer him a deal because he was Teddy’s best man. The whole prostitute-sting-embezzlement story arc is/was so unnecessary and overworked….the writers shouldn’t ever have gone there.

• Janet W says:

This prostitute-embezzlement thing needs to be put to rest. OVER IT!!! Teddy needs a new storyline ASAP.

• Shannon says:

It doesn’t even make sense. Can the cops legally arrest someone for something they essentially blackmailed him into doing?? This whole story is dumb. Teddy’s story lines have always been terrible and over the top. Let’s just have him pop in on scenes to drop the kids off at Rayna’s and call it a day.

• Normandy says:

For a moment that’s how I thought they were writing Teddy out by making him go on the run, which would’ve been really stupid. He’s been a useless character since he divorced Rayna and the showrunners killed the Lamar dirty politics/business side of the show. I thought they had found a great way to bring him into the music scene through Jeff, but then they dropped it.

13. Susannah says:

I hope Beverly agrees to the surgery but doesn’t make it after donating part of her liver and is never able to cash that check. Her character is just selfish and horrible!

14. wrstlgirl says:

I about fell over laughing when I saw young Rayna. OMG hilarious. Deacon was almost as bad but Rayna, LMFAO!!!! Anyway, good filler ep setting things up nicely for the final few. I thought for sure Teddy was gonna take Daphne and disappear. And where the hell were Kevin and Will. Sidelined again, that’s where, ugh.

15. The Kaibosh says:

That was some of the worst green screen action I’ve ever seen. We’re talking Ringer level bad.

16. MiaB says:

Two notes:
    A. I’m pretty sure Juliette has post-partum depression.
    B. I like Scarlett boatloads more when she’s not playing the woe-is-me-hiding-under-a-piano damsel in distress. Give us more, PLEASE!

17. javadude54 says:

I keep thinking that Teddy’s story is going to end with him in prison or on the run after killing someone.

18. izzieb says:

Did anyone else think Teddy was going to take Daphne out of the country when I called to ask if the girls were home? The second I saw his passport I was waiting for it. Glad he didn’t though!

• John says:

Yes. I thought he planned to take both girls, but was taking just Daphne since Maddie was already with Deacon.

19. izzieb says:

And again, was it just me, or did Beverly seem unusually jealous about her brother Deacon back in the day? She’s a little overboard! (and unstable!)

20. Irv says:

Rayna should have also used the “I helped Tyra get into UT” card.

21. ellieca says:

I enjoyed the episode a lot, but my least favorite part was the flashback and that is so disappointing. I’d rather not have THOSE images in my head, lol. Rayna looked older than she did in the engagement scenes from the cabin and Deacon looked like a figure from the wax museum. That was better left to my imagination. And, I couldn’t quite figure out the timing of it all. Panetierre (sorry spelling) shined in her scenes with Deacon and Maddie. She made me cry in 1 second flat. Actually enjoyed Scarlett & Gunnar– I like Scarlett with moxy!

22. Tammy says:

What Deacon’s sister really wants is a record deal. Come on Rayna, you own a record label…. make it happen.

23. ABC!!!! DO NOT CANCEL THIS FINE SHOW!!!! Because all you will do is give us stuff like criminal minds, twisted minds and all kinds of shows with violence and ugliness. Those things are the LAST thing this country needs!!

Nashville is well written, great , believable characters, warts and all.
    Hoping Bev the mean witch does give Deacon a part of her liver. OR….maybe it could be Rana?

Oliver Hudson is starting to be likable, as is Luke. How Avery has done a complete 360 since we first met him is a mystery. And yes, Juliette is still Juliette.
    Give Deacon a break as a new Dad…to a teen! Anyone who has been with teens that age knows full well that it’s an uphill battle.
    Rhetorically: as in the review….would most of us have married or chose whatever we did if we had been able to see what was really coming? Nothing usually turns out exactly as expected. Ever.

24. Great show. Keep it ABC. Deacon is a “new” Dad. To a full blown teen girl! Scary!
    Will it be Rayna, who will be the match of a liver? Or will the newly wealthy buy a heart for herself and do the right thing?

25. sladewilson says:

Okay here goes: Glenn’s line was great but Deacon won this round. “You need to run” was absolutely perfect. (And being a father to two young women, I can attest to saying that line also – and meaning it just like Deacon). I liked he called Luke and they could actually handle this like adults. Smart and real. Love Jules and Maddie’s relationship. As for Jules – come on – nobody sees what’s coming here? Can anyone say “Postpartum disorder”? I just hope they don’t go for the grand slam and make it Postpartum Psychosis and destroy my fave relationship – Jules and Avery. I can already see Jules taking out all her hate on Emily (again) but please – don’t go all Soap Opera 101 and have Em and Avery hook up. Ewwww, like the kids say. As for Rayna and Bev (Ugh – she just disgusts me at every turn) – okay, you’re jealous. If she wasn’t such a greedy shrew, I could see her telling Deacon about the check trying to drive a wedge between Deacon and Rayna. But that greedy shrew will probably take the money and still try to back out. As for Teddy – I’m so tired of his storyline, I was hoping he would go away. Far Away. And take Xtina with you. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top please.

26. Skaddadle says:

Am I crazy for missing Avery and Scarlett together? I know there’s no way of that happening again but I just really liked them together. At least more than her and Gunner. :/

27. Amie says:

Please tell me we are done with Kiley/Micah/Dead Brother Guilt. Please. PLEASE. I think she’s lying. I am tired of her and the horse (or kid) she rode in on. I want no more of that nonsense unless she has a liver for Deacon and she’s on her way into a neat and tidy death that preserves the liver.

• “Unless she has a liver for Deacon” LOL!!!!

• Isobel says:

I think she was truthful about not knowing if Micah was Gunnar’s or Jason’s, I don’t believe Jason raped her though

• CMarie says:

Same! I felt sort of guilty for not believing her rape story, but she’s such a piece of lying garbage that I just don’t believe anything that comes out of her mouth anymore. And it really angers me that Gunnar is giving her any sort of sympathy at this point.

28. V. says:

The flashbacks gave me everything.

Gunnar and that chick, oh lord, that story was so overdone and we did not need to add to that.

I loved Jade St John’s stay in Nashville, especially last week’s episode, but her ending was so anti climatic. WTF?

ps: was so happy that Teddy was leaving and we would not need to see his face again, and in the end he is staying, why oh why?

29. Rita says:

Okay I need more Connie in these episodes yall! The promo looked good for next week, cant wait!

30. PFitzDC says:

Kimberly Roots–you are starting to give Michael Slezak and James Hibbard (EW) a run for their money as funniest/most clever TV recapper on the Interwebs these days. Loved this–and your Outlander recaps!

31. H says:

I am the only one that thinks that Beverly has every right to decide on her body parts? And why hasn’t Juliette been arrested?

32. PFitzDC says:

But really, Kimberly? I know that rape is a serious topic for which snark is inappropriate, BUT we’re not even going to question the fact that Gunnar doesn’t hesitate for a SECOND to believe that his brother is a rapist, when the claim is made by a woman who abandoned her son for MONTHS without any word to anyone?!?! REALLY?

• Normandy says:

At the rate they’re going, Jason will also be blamed for Teddy’s legal problems, Lamar’s death, Deacon’s drinking, Avery’s bad record deal from season one And Vince Young being a QB bust for the Tennessee Titans.

• Isobel says:

Yeah, while Jason was a troubled guy, he didn’t come across as someone who would rape anyone, and she looked after Micah for a decade without issue till she wanted to be with her boyfriend who didn’t want Micah

33. Nancy says:

Juliette arrested why? For her rooftop concert? I am sure the police department thinks the PR of not having a heavy hand is worth the extra traffic control and other expense. She is good for Nashville tourism, after all, just like other music stars there.

34. Tedi says:

Hayden is a phenomenal actress but I don’t think that gives the writers a complete free pass to throw every potential emotionally draining storyline at her. At this rate she’ll be spiraling and alone by season’s end……Which seems to be a trend with Juliette.

35. Mary says:

Uh, Rayna met Deacon when she was 16. She might have been 16 in the 80s, but no way either of them were 16 in the mid-90s. The two of them are in their late 40s in real life and look it (not to say they don’t look hot–they do.)4

36. Mary says:

Sorry. I meant to write that they were supposed to have first met when they were 16.

37. lorna says:

I wish they would kill off Beverly. Such a nasty woman.

• Nancy says:

Just think, though, if Beverly would die after donating part of her liver, Deacon would go into a massive guilt funk, enough to ruin his relationship with Rayna, which he would sacrifice to assuage the guilt. It would be too tragic in terms of the show’s direction. OTOH, she could die in a traffic accident, and having signed donation permissions, Deacon could get his new liver that way without the guilt. But that would be just too convenient.