Outlander Recap: A Trial, Some Truth-Telling and Another (?!) Time-Traveler

Outlander Claire Geillis Trial Witchcraft

Aw, rats.

And darkness. And seeping damp. And the bone-deep certainty that death is but a few hours away.

What are: Things Encountered in the Thieves’ Hole by Outlander‘s Claire, Who Maybe Should’ve Listened to Jamie and Kept Away From Her Sketchy Friend Just This Once?

This week’s episode is a big one for both Oldlanders (those of you who read Diana Gabaldon’s book and therefore knew what was coming) and Newlanders (those of you who likely were gobsmacked by the end of the trial/end of the episode double whammy).

There’s so much ground to cover, we canna waste a minute. So let’s get right into reviewing the big stuff that happens in “The Devil’s Mark.”

RELATED Ask Ausiello: Outlander Scoop and More!

LOOKING BLEAK | We pick up with Geillis and Claire getting dumped into the aforementioned hole in the ground, where they’re left to await their trial in the morning. Mrs. Fraser is quite unhappy with her redheaded frenemy, who proudly confesses that she started poisoning Arthur with arsenic months before he died. Claire rips a hole in Geillis’ sanguine attitude when she informs her that Dougal’s been sent away, and Jamie is on the trip with him. “No one is coming, Geillis,” Claire growls.

The next day finds them manacled and hauled into the Cranesmuir church. It’s probably a bad sign that the townsfolk are already building a huge stake outside, no? (“Is that what I think it is?” “Well, it’s not a maypole, Claire.” Heh.) A pair of angry-looking examiners will decide whether the accused are witches or not; the rowdy crowd that has gathered already seems to have made up its mind.

BETTER CALL NED | The “trial” is barely underway — yet somehow already going tits-up for Claire and Geillis — when Ned Gowan bullies his way into the proceedings and sweet-talks the examiners into letting him represent the pair. You can see a spark of hope light in Claire at the geezerly lawyer’s appearance, though the glow wavers like a birthday candle near a ceiling fan as witness after witness arrives to speak out against Lady Broch Turach and her pal.

The Duncans’ housekeeper. The mother of the dead baby on the fairy hill. A guy who says Geillis can fly “like a great winged bird.” Ned shuts (most of) them down artfully. (Side note: It’s a treat to see this character in his element. You may be asthmatic and ancient, Mr. Gowan, but you’re the Billy Flynn of your day.) When the proceedings adjourn for the day, Ned manages to slip Claire two things: a flash of whiskey and the knowledge that he’s there on his own (translation: Colum didn’t send him, and the clan chief actually might’ve had a hand in the arrests).

RELATED Outlander‘s Sam Heughan: Jamie’s Temptress Is Actually a ‘Good Girl’

GEILLIS’ FIRST CLUE | Back in the thieves’ hole AKA the worst sleepover ever, Claire and Geillis pass the booze while Geillis spills all about her evil plan. Here are the basics; if you want a more authentic experience, read them aloud in a Scottish accent while making crazy eyes and swilling Macallan 18. Geillis has diverted a lot of money from Arthur in order to restore “bonny Prince Charlie” to the Scottish throne. (I loved the exasperated tone of Claire’s voice when she cried, “You’re a bloody Jacobite?!”) Geillis’ love for the mother land is part of why she’s so enamored of Colum’s brother: “Dougal fights for all of Scotland.”

When Geillis grandly states she’d do it all over again, Claire snarks out the Nathan Hale quote, “I only regret that I have one life to lose for my country” — and take careful note of Mistress Duncan’s face there, aye?

YOU AGAIN | Sunrise brings a return to court and, likely, a really terrible death. First, though, something even worse: Laoghaire. She saunters into the church like she’s not a complete piece of rancid haggis, then cries big, fat, stupid, fake tears down her stupid, fake face as she weaves lies about Claire’s time at the castle. (Well, not the part about getting slapped. That one’s true. And it’s awesome.)

Not even the parish priest tearfully confessing that Claire saved a boy he had dismissed as possessed (the mushrooms kid from earlier this season) works to move the crowd; as Ned informs his clients during a brief recess, Claire will need to publicly renounce Geillis in order to save herself — otherwise, they’ll both burn.

When he steps out, the redhead demands to know, “Why are you here in Scotland?” And when Claire starts to recite her cover story, Geillis yells, “Stop lying!” Once Geillis has ascertained that Claire arrived via some kind of accident, she seems to make up her mind. “Looks like I’m going to a f–ing barbecue,” she scoffs… and remember how Jamie didn’t know what that word meant?

VIDEO How Outlander’s Caitriona Balfe Nabbed Her Role With One Line

IN WHICH THINGS GET INSANE | What happens next happens quickly, so stay with me. Claire refuses to name Geillis as a witch, so they’re both condemned. Ned jumps up and tries to defend them with a pistol, and the already riled-up crowd goes insane. Geillis takes advantage of the audience’s momentarily distraction to whisper, “The question you had before, I think it is possible: 1968.” Before Claire can even think “huh?,” she’s bodily removed from the witness gallery, her bodice is split up the back and she’s whipped right there in the church!

She’s crying. The crowd is frothing. Wait, who’s that at the back of the room? Oh, just one James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, who rushes to his wife’s side, knocks down the men holding her and keeps everyone away with a sword in each hand like the ginger badass that he is.

But if Jamie’s entrance was the opening act, Geillis is about to bring down the house. In short order, she declares herself a witch who’s pregnant with Satan’s spawn, points out a scar on her upper arm as “the devil’s mark,” then illustrates her sinfulness by stripping to the waist and baring Dougal Jr. (and a lot more) to the masses. Moments before she’s hoisted aloft and carried outta there like an overserved undergrad at Coachella, she says one word to Claire, “Run.” (I loved that the series kept that moment from the book in the action.) While Geillis and her kicky little red shoes are paraded through the street, Jamie and Claire make their getaway.

YOU CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH? | Once the Frasers are a safe distance from the mass hysteria, Jamie bathes Claire’s cuts, determines them too shallow to leave scars (and he’d know), then calmly asks if she’s a witch. After all, he points out, he’s seen the “devil’s mark” on her arm, too.

“I’m not a witch, but maybe after you hear the truth, you’ll think otherwise,” she says fatalistically, then launches into a discussion of vaccines, which is probably not the most direct way to tell someone you’re from 200ish years into the future. She’s crying and babbling and finally gets around to mentioning the time travel; Sam Heughan’s face throughout her admission is the epitome of inscrutable. Maybe that’s why when he says he believes her, Claire looks at him like he’s the one who needs some lithium and a nice long nap. (Side note for those of you book readers who’d been waiting for the honesty pledge to show up: Does this scene slake your thirst?)

Outlander Claire Geillis Trial WitchcraftHer relief causes her to talk and talk and talk — it’s like the reverse of their wedding night, but with fewer prospects of Jamie being naked anytime soon. Mixed into her stream-of-consciousness monologue: a brief overview of how bad things are going to get in Scotland in a few years and the realization that Geillis , too, was from the future, namely 1968.

It should be noted that Jamie is taking all of this extremely well. Like, unbelievably well. After he realizes she was just trying to get back to Frank, he even has a moment of chagrin for spanking her. But if I can accept that Claire’s hair looks shampoo-commercial ready after two days of literally living in a ditch, I certainly can accept that her man is able to suspend disbelief in the name of love.

RELATED Flesh and Bone: Starz Drama Gets Premiere Date

CLAIRE MAKES HER DECISION | They ride for days; in a voiceover, Claire tells us she feels adrift and unable to invest in Jamie’s chatter about his family home, Lallybroch. Maybe you’re not adrift, Claire; maybe you’re just floating because, oh look, your very attentive husband is once again waking you up by giving you a little tickle in the business. (As many of you mentioned last week, James Fraser: World’s Best Alarm Clock.) This scene, of him with his hand working overtime under her voluminous skirts, can’t possibly get hotter, right?

Mo nighean duinne, I want to watch you,” he whispers, stopping her when she tries to bring him into the party. WRONG. I WAS VERY, VERY WRONG. Jamie helps Claire summit her own personal Munro and there’s lots of not-quite-kissing and high-pitched breathing and her grabbing his lapels and damn, this is a sexy show.

But as it turns out, Jamie was really just creating one last memory, because the next morning he delivers her to Craig na Dun to make the trip back to her time. Jamie mentions all of the things she’ll return to, including Frank. “Frank,” a dazed Claire parrots in precisely the same way you’d say, “tapioca pudding” or “wallpaper paste” or “a cup of warm skim milk.” Ever the pragmatist, Jamie tamps down his feelings, kisses her goodbye and then heads down the hill, where he’ll wait until nightfall to make sure she’s gone safely.

After sitting and thinking for a while, Claire comes to a decision and walks toward a stone… but it’s a fake-out, because she’s actually gone down the hill to find Jamie asleep where he said he’d be. “Take me home to Lallybroch,” she commands after he wakes up, and they’re both smile-crying as he grabs her and kisses her. Bravo, Outlander: I’ve been waiting decades to watch this scene play out, and you didn’t disappoint me one bit.

1. lori says:

Awesome episode! The only thing that confused me was the priest. Was he genuinely sorry or was it a ploy. His face after he testified made me think it was a ploy but I’m not sure.

• sls says:

Oh that was one heck of an act! He was down right evil, with his play to save face with the poisoning situation, had the court ordering him to stay in town. That smirk told it all. He knew exactly what he was doing. Ugh! lol

2. Kelly says:

Claire Fraser is one lucky, lucky lady.

3. sls says:

Best episode yet!!! Finally Claire and Jaime’s relationship takes a HUGE step forward!!! Everyone was fantastic tonight! I like TV Gellis way more than book Gellis (for now). Lotte was terrific. And Ned Gowan was amazing…look at him with his gun and everything. Finally the truth has come to light. I was moved to tears several times in this episode. Can’t get enough!!!

4. Mauigirl99 says:

I have not read the books so every aspect of this show is new to me…and I am soooo loving it! And please forgive me for asking (and anyone who does not want to see the replies to my question, please skip any following responses)…is this how the first book ends?

5. Kristen says:

Absolutely loved this episode. Have been waiting all season for the scene at the stones & so glad they didn’t leave her decision as a cliffhanger. The music throughout was beautiful as well.

6. JAO says:

Great episode and recap !

7. Amy says:

I loved this episode and I too have been waiting a long time to see it. In the book though, Jamie does not snatch Claire back from the stone because he’s “not ready”, he does it because he “starts to see her go”, sees the terror on her face and reacts to protect her. I love that part SO much because any doubt in his mind about her sanity is erased at that point. My husband, who has not read the books, said that he thinks they chose to show it this way because Jamie trusted Claire completely and did not need proof. While I agree, I really, really wish they showed it like it was written. That is the one scene that I read and re-read and RE-READ all the time.

• sls says:

Yes, I have mixed feelings at the moment. While I would have liked it to be more obvious I guess I will just wait to see what they end up doing with the time travel aspect. I think they are trying to keep it a bit mysterious for now, hence the reason we got the black screen right before Claire was going to touch the stone. That and I think they may have been trying to keep a bit of mystery to her situation…did she touch the stone and it didn’t work? Did she choose not to touch the stone and go back to Jaime?

• Forgive never read the book but I wish to know did Claire indeed tried and it did not work ? Or if it worked she just came back ? And did she also tell Jaimie that her husband is a great great great great grandson of Black Jack Randall … thanks if you reply :P

• sls says:

Well the tv show leaves things a bit unclear, since it faded to black before Claire could touch the stones. So, for anyone who doesn’t want spoilers, please look away……… in the book Claire decides not to touch the stone. She chooses to stay with Jaime. She does tell Jaime at some point that Frank is a relative of BJR but I don’t recall if this is when she tells him. So that part might still be coming up or she may have told him already but I think the show will make it clear at some point that Jaime knows. It’s been awhile since I read this book. I am re-reading it just behind the episode so that I can keep the show and the book a little bit separate in my mind. There may be other book readers here that can better answer if Claire has told Jaime yet.

• Thanks for the speedy reply really appreciate it how about Claire telling Jaimie that Geillis Duncan is also from the future 1968 i think … did she tell Jaimie or somebody else in the book … and if she is indeed not dead but rescued as well ? :P

• sls says:

I think you can kind of hear Claire tell Jaime something about Gellis in this episode. It’s hard to tell for sure what she is saying because there is music and voice over. But yes, she tells Jaime about Gellis and Jaime realizes Gellis is from the future like claire because of the vaccination mark on both women’s arms. We will not see Gellis anymore this season. So we don’t get to see what happens to her (unless they end up doing a flashback to it at some point). If I remember correctly, she is spared because she is pregnant, with the idea that she will be burned after the baby is born. But she gets away, with Dougal’s help I think. But she will pop back up in later seasons. Again, my memory on all of this is not the best as it has been awhile.

• Thanks again sorry for asking for spoilers for the rest :P

• tsevca says:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR NON-READERS!

It´s never actually showed when she tells him, but after Wentworth, when they think he was killed and Claire, he sends her to Frank. One would say he might not know, because without Jack, there is no Frank, but Claire also doesn´t consider Frank 100% dead. I think he knows before they meet Alex, but he definitely knows before they meet Jack in Paris. I think she tells him when she talks about what happened to her. She does mention Frank told her about Jack, Jamie would ask about him. And there isn´t really a oppurtunity later.

• tsevca says:

I´m sorry, but somehow I can´t reply to that specific comment.

SPOILERS FOR NON-READERS.

Yeah, it´s Dougal. He comes for the baby after the birth and she threatens to kill it if Dougal doesn´t save her, so he has some just deceased woman be burned instead. I really hope they won´t change that and mention Geillis in Paris. I love how Claire later realizes that if she visited her, she´d know for 20 years.

• Murry Wheeler says:

Yes! I agree Amy – I wanted to see that part so much and I personally think it would have been better to have Jaime see first hand how the stones work and watching Claire start to disappear. Thank you for confirming what has been going on in my head for two days – I thought I had misremembered that part!

• Christine M says:

That was the only thing about the episode that I was a teensy bit disappointed in, because I did want to see her start to go. But I like your explanation about why they might have done it the way they did.

8. Lisa says:

Omg loving this show!!! I just watched the entire season up until tonight last week. I’m totally hooked. I would love to read the books but maybe after book one is over. Tonight’s show was beyond my expectations, my husband wasn’t into it last week but after tonight … :D

• sls says:

Definitely read the books! I would wait until after the season ends so you can keep the two separate. Then after the season ends read book 1. Once you see the differences between the show and the book you can decide if you want to keep reading or just read after the second season airs. Might be hard not to read ahead though :)

• Lisa says:

I’ll keep that in mind about the books – I’m sure if I start reading I won’t be able to wait to go onto the next one. I’ll see how long I can hold out!

• Rook says:

I want to read them too but I did that with Got, in between the second and third season. When the third season started, the show wasn’t the same. All the twist and shocks were now bland because a few months ago I had finished the third book. I didn’t get the same excitement that I experienced with the first and second season, and it kinda killed it a little bit.

• Karen says:

If you’ve managed not to read the books yet (and I don’t know how you have!) then I’d recommend waiting. Like you said with GOT, you lose any excitement. I’ve read the books multiple times and I am finding most of this season pretty boring to the point that I was about to give it up. Tonight’s episode though was so much better than any other episode up to this point that I will keep watching.

• Ro says:

Thanks for the advice!

• tsevca says:

Just like sls said. Plus it really explains more. For example, I read a comment about how the person was surprised that Jamie took it so well. You wouldn´t be if you read the books. It´s explained why.

9. Maiugirl99 says:

Love these recaps! It is because of Kimberly’s recaps that I got into this show! Enjoying every moment when Jamie and Claire are together…not so much when they are apart. Oh man, what a man!

• sls says:

This story is about their marriage…their life. It has crazy ups and downs. But it is also about their world, the people that surround them so it does take a bit of patience sometimes. It is worth it in the end though so hopefully you will stick around!

10. Elena says:

I have been anticipating this episode the most since the show was announced months ago, and it lived up to every expectation. Catriona and Lotte were absolutely killing it in all their scenes tonight. And even don’t even get me started on Sam Heughan. He is such a fantastic Jaime, brilliantly portraying the pain Jaime feels at letting her go and then that look of utter joy when she chooses to stay. This show is just the best:)

11. Follias says:

If and when you read the book, there is a great seminar on at storywonk.com that goes through the book chapter by chapter. Plans are for a similar analysis of book 2, either in the interim or after the second season airs. I saw the first season at the end of the run, and had to read the book. So glad I found internet resources to share my enthusiasm with.

Now how do we convince Starz to sign off for more seasons?

12. Alichat says:

Couple of things…….Column should be spelled Colum, and Malcom is Malcolm. Also Jamie wasn’t in a house while waiting for Claire to go through the stones. That was the book version. In this episode, he was sleeping by the same campfire they’d slept by the night previous. I thought the honesty pledge felt out of place in this episode. I’m glad they expanded it some from the small mention in the last episode, but I liked the book version better where Jamie basically says he promised he’d never ask her to reveal anything she didn’t want to, but for their safety, he had to ask her now. And I’m still not a fan of how blatant and conniving they’ve made Laoghaire. Jamie had to see her……she was right in Claire’s face when she was getting whipped, and walking alongside Geillis when they mob was carrying her out. So, how will they explain the events from book 3. As they played out in the book, I was still angry and disappointed. With the way things are playing out in the show, I can’t see how that will get resolved as well as it did in the book.

• Liz says:

I think Jamie only saw Claire in that room. He was a bit preoccupied at the time, trying to save his wife and all. And maybe Laoghaire hid when he came in?

• Alichat says:

Perhaps she did hide. It is true Jamie had a singular focus when coming in. LOL! I think this whole adaptation change bothers me because I never really fully bought the events of the book. I just didn’t buy that Claire wouldn’t mention to Jamie that Laoghaire gave her the note that got her to Geillis’ house. So when the events of book 3 popped up, I assumed if he knew, then he believed as Claire did….that she was just some naive, young girl. The way she’s being presented in the tv show, I don’t see how the ‘naive young girl’ argument can be made. Book Laoghaie is a delusional young girl, tv Laoghaire is a conniving borderline sociopath.

• sls says:

Yes. I think there will need to be some modifications down the line to better explain how things turn out. But hopefully those changes will happen. But also the place Jaime is in down the line, he is not his right self so I’m sure they will figure out a way for it to make more sense, hopefully more sense than in the books even. lol But who knows.

• tsevca says:

In the books, Claire never remembered to tell him. They had always so much to talk about, more important things that it never came up. But he would saw her there. Don´t forget the room is full of people that could shoot him, he has to watch the crowd for anyone that could attack them. Laoghaire steps back behind Father Bain after Jamie rushes in, but she is still visible.

• vicky kasel says:

Laoghaire was pulled away back by the priest when Jamie appeared

13. Liz says:

It was an amazing episode!! Lotte & Caitriona were both wonderful in the trial scenes! I will miss Geillis! (for now…).
    And then, Jamie & Claire… *sigh*. Finally, we got the “honesty” speech. And that scene, where Jamie creates one last memory of Claire, wanting to watch her, oh my…
    The only thing I didn’t like was the fact that, from watching, we don’t really know if Claire chose to remain with Jamie, or if the time travel didn’t work. In the book, it’s much clearer.
    I also missed those lines :
    from Jamie: “I prayed to be strong enough not to beg you to stay” and Claire answering she realized she couldn’t live without him.
    But oh well, they can’t be as detailed as the book of course. And Sam & Cait did such an amazing job…
    Can’t wait for the next episode!

14. Dionna says:

I absolutely LOVED this episode! Every scene hit just the right emotional note. I’ve read the books and while there are a couple if minor differences, I’m not bothered by them in the least. I actually love what they are doing with Laoghaire. I feel like they are setting up future seasons well with that storyline. Keep it coming STARZ!

15. Vance says:

The writers let me down. Jamie said “Back…To your husband” when the line should clearly have been “Back…To The Future!!!!”

SMH.

16. milag64 says:

Enjoying the show very much, but disappointed that it seems to dilute the character of Geillis. In the books, she is much more pragmatic and its clear that she is using Dougal to advance the Jacobite cause, and that love doesnt have much to do with it. I think that making her all lovesick for him weakens her character and makes less interesting.

• tsevca says:

Right? Geillis is psychopath that makes a habbit of killing her husbands. She doesn´t think highly of Dougal, but Colum is out of her reach since she couldn´t seduce him, so she settles for Dougal, but in her opinion, he thinks with his dick. I love how she thinks they´d be the best match with Colum, while he can´t understand what Dougal saw in her.

17. milag64 says:

One other change from the books that I thought wasnt great for the characters. In the books, Jamie doesnt just use physical force to rescue Claire – he also plays the crowd by putting a cross around her neck, “proving” that she isnt a witch. That scene demonstrates Jamie’s intelligence and leadership skills (in fact Claire actually comments to that effect in the books). I think that at this point, we havent seen that Jamie is actually more than just attractive and devoted. I’d like to see the demonstration of his intelligence/leadership too.

18. Liz says:

What happens to the baby? I know what happens in the book concerning that plot point, and I don’t want to spoil it for anybody who hasn’t read them, but if they really burned Geillis alive things are going to be difficult down the road.
    Also, the witch trial really rubbed me the wrong way. It’s terrifying what you can see of human nature and mob mentality. There didn’t seem to be a reasonable person in that church. Vindictive, misogynistic, angry and gullible, except Ned. But that’s a whole other topic.
    The episode picked up and was so much better once Jamie showed up.

19. Beda says:

I have read all of the books and absolutely love the story. Jamie and Clare are perfect together although I do feel sorry for Frank. The acting in this series is superb. Going to read all the series again as I can’t get enough of it.

• tsevca says:

Even after all the books? I don´t want to be specific, because even if I write a warning, I could reveal huge spoilers to someone who just accidentally sees, but I hated him after Voyager, but in the last book, we actually learn that he was bastard, who didn´t have a problem to use a person he loved to hurt that person and both Claire and Jamie as a revenge.

• Janet says:

I’m sorry if this has been answered I tried reading all of the comments.. How did Jamie know about the witch trails and that Claire was there?

• tsevca says:

In the book, he has Alec, the guy he worked under in the stables, watch over her, while he´s gone. Alec then rides to tell him. But in the book, there are more stories with him. He is closer friend to both of them. So it might not be the same.

20. Susan says:

OMG! I happened upon the show when it began. I’ve been a loyal follower since. It’s so beautifully done and the actors, all of them, are so good! I didn’t read the books. But want to now. This show was so good. At times I found myself tearing up unexpectedly. it was so well done that it was just a natural response. A few things I didn’t understand was how did Jamie find out what was going on and that he needed to save Claire? Why didn’t Dougal join Jamie to save Geillis? Did Colum have something to do with Claire being arrested? And through all that was being said between Claire and Jamie why did Claire never tell Jamie that she loved him.?Did she in the book? She was about to go thru the stones and She says nothing but goodbye. Jamie is so loving and selfless. He truly wants Claire to be happy. I just feel that she could have at least told him she loved him unless she doesn’t in the book? I just feel it was really a missing point. Thanks for any help!

• tsevca says:

In the books, Alec, the guy Jamie was working under in the stables was asked by Jamie to look after Claire, while Jamie is gone hunting with the duke. So when Claire is arrested, he rides to get to Jamie and tells him.
      Why didn´t Dougal went to help Geillis? I don´t know why in the show, but in the books, he doesn´t actually loves her. He knows what Colum plans and while he isn´t thrilled, he knows Geillis must be get rid of for several reasons, one is that she knows about Hamish. And Hamish being the chief one day is one of the most important goals both brothers have. They actually plan the trip and the arrest in the same time, so Dougal wouldn´t have to be present to it. I´m not sure about this one, but I think they even do it now, because they fear Geillis might try to blackmail him into marriage now when they are both single.
      No, it was all planned to get rid of Geillis, Claire is in the house, because Laoghaire, who heard the brothers plan that, tells her Geillis called for her, because she is ill. Claire doesn´t know about Laoghaire putting the spell in her bed and they don´t have the argument, so she doesn´t have a reason to suspect her. She even thinks Dougal knocked her up, not Geillis. Immediately after the arrest, Colum has the castle under lockdown to protect his people from another possible arrests. It takes a time to find out Claire isn´t in Leoch. He lets Missis Fitz to convince him to send Ned to help her, but only Claire and isn´t happy about it. He wouldn´t have her be arrested, but since she is… You see, book Colum would never say out loud Hamish isn´t his. Claire knows, because she recognizes his disease and one time they see Hamish fall, watching him from window, and Claire notes that Colum loves him as his own. Colum is scared Claire knows who the real father is, which she doesn´t, and is affraid she might talk. He wouldn´t hurt her, but uses the opportunity and doesn´t do much to help her. As you can see, some things were changed, but I think the main plot stays the same. Why include Laoghaire if it was his plan?
      Claire tells him she loves him after the spanking. On the way back, Jamie tells her how he used to get spanked by his father and others, how he was raised, how his father used to spank him publicly, so his tennants who would one day be his people knew that Jamie understands what justice is. And then he tells quite a funny story how he was at 16 spanked at Leoch, which also explains further why he offered himself instead of Laoghaire. Claire is laughing hard and the “I love you, Jamie!” is spilled. She doesn´t repeat it though, they live at Leoch for some time and the whole time Claire plans to leave, go back. Sometimes he says how he hopes they might have marriage as his parents even though they didn´t marry for love or stuff like that and Claire wants to tell him that she does love him, but thinks it unfair to say stuff like that and then one day leave. She almost tells him at Craigh na Dunn, when he walks away, but realizes it´d be cruel to tell him and go. At Lallybroch, they have two scenes concerning Jamie´s feelings and if they get cut out, they robbed you. But to be honest, they do things to show it all the time, but they say it rarely. Claire even asks once if she says it enough and if she should say it more often and Jamie answers that he always likes to hear it, but doesn´t want to get used to it.

I hope I helped you. If you have any questions regarding the books, look me up on youtube. I have the same nickname there and I think it allows personal messages not to spoil to other people. I have the whole series as e-books, so I keep rereading them and if I don´t remember anything, I can look it up.

• vicky says:

she doesn’t tell him she loves because she says it wouldn’t be fair to tell him now and then leave. “I love you, good-bye” Not good!

21. Christine says:

The episode was awesome. I look forward to seeing the rest of Season 1. I have read all of the books several times, but I didn’t discover them until the series started. Did anyone happen to notice that Jamie touched the stones, also?

• tsevca says:

He did. Why?

• vicky says:

in the book Jamie doesn’t believe 100% maybe 99.9% when he touches the stone nothing happens then he places her hand on the stone sees the look that comes over her and the fading that begins and pulls her back. Now he believes all the way.

• tsevca says:

I know, I read the books. But you can´t pay attention to those deatils in the show. They had no way to actually convince him, because in the show, she´d dissapear immediately.

22. Susan says:

To tsevca…
    Thanks so much for the info! It really helped me to understand many things. While watching the shows is so good I see that there are obviously things that can’t be put in them. I think I may just have to do some reading!

23. Joan toal says:

What happened to Ned. Did he get killed?

24. liz says: