Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Good Wife, Arrow, Once, Grey's, Chicago Fire, Gotham, Outlander and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to

Question: Anything new and scoopy on The Good Wife? —Brandon
Ausiello: This is new, scoopy and curious: I hear CBS has quietly extended the contracts of the primary cast — that includes Julianna Margulies, Christine Baranski and Matt Czuchry — for two more seasons beyond the current sixth. That’s interesting coming off of Good Wife cocreator Robert King’s comments in last week’s Ask Ausiello, in which he hinted that even though he always envisioned the show ending after seven seasons, the decision, ultimately, rests with CBS. An insider, however, cautions not to read too much into the two-year thing, calling it “typical TV dealmaking.”

Question: Do you have any scoop to offer on Kalinda’s exit from The Good Wife? — ABZ
Ausiello: I heard she was getting killed off. Then I heard she was going to jail. Then I heard she was entering witness protection. Then I heard none of those things are true. Then I heard the killed-off rumor again. Then I saw the below photo Archie Panjabi tweeted Tuesday while on a break from shooting the season finale, and I thought to myself: “Self, that’s not the face of someone who’s about to shoot a death scene.” Does that answer your question, ABZ?

Question: If Once Upon a Time’s Cruella and Ursula fell through the portal at the same time as Maleficent’s baby, why didn’t they take care of her? Will we see what happened to them right after they went through? —Larry
Ausiello: Those questions — as well as the matter of Lily proceeding to age a couple decades while Cruella and Ursula didn’t — will be answered at the beginning of the winningly titled April 19 episode, “Sympathy for the De Vil.”

Question: I’ll take whatever you may have on The Flash during this pesky one-week break! –Liz
Ausiello: OK, here goes:
* At WonderCon, Danielle Panabaker hinted that we may see Caitlin dabble with her Killer Frost fate sooner than expected.
* There are no flies on Iris, who will very quickly glean that Eddie is hiding something from her. (And when she finds out about all who have lied to her? Think: angry + devastated.)
* The Grodd episode promises to be scarier — and funnier — than you might imagine.
* The inclusion of Captain Cold and Heat Wave in the Arrow/Flash spinoff series will affect The Flash’s storyline toward season’s end – and is one of the reasons Cold learned the Flash’s secret identity.

Question: Longtime reader and fan, first-time question-asker! I’m wondering what kind of Outlander surprises might be in store in the second half of the season for those of us die-hard book fans? Any crazy changes/additions we should prepare for? —Tracy
Ausiello: Creator/executive producer Ronald D. Moore recently told TVLine about a slight discrepancy taking place at the very end of the season. To keep it spoiler-free for those who haven’t read the Diana Gabaldon novel: There’s that thing that happens at a place that rhymes with “Schmentworth,” and then “instead of going to France and playing all the abbey scenes there, I chose to keep the abbey in Scotland so there is still a danger to them and a need to escape.” But, he reassures fans of the books, “the abbey scenes are still there.”

Question: I’d love a New Girl scoop! —Candice
Ausiello: How about some dish on a beloved cast member everyone thought might be leaving? Lamorne Morris assures us that Winston’s furry friend Ferguson will be seen before the end of the season. (Oh, did you think I was talking about Damon Wayans Jr.? Nope, he’s definitely gone at the end of the season.)

VeepQuestion: Any scoop on Veep? —Gem
Ausiello: Season 4’s second episode, airing April 19, features a jaw-droppingly funny/sad/poignant scene between Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ Selina and Tony Hale’s Gary that has been three years in the making. BONUS SPOILER: Someone becomes a big fan of Jonah’s gonads.

Question: I thought I read that Chicago Fire‘s Casey would be showing up in an episode of Chicago PD this season, and that it would involve Voight in some way. Did I imagine this or is it really going to happen?!? —Wendy
Ausiello: You’re not losing your marbles, Wendy. Casey’s troubled history with Voight will be palpable during the next Fire/P.D./SVU crossover event, airing April 28 and 29. “The problem is they can’t really bring it back up because I don’t think they’d get over it,” Fire star Jesse Spencer says. “The idea is that they’re going to be forced to work together in a situation that involves the [strip] club. So the tension between them is going to be palpable, but they have to aim for their objective first and try and put the personal stuff behind them, which is not going to be easy.”

Question: Is there a tiny bit of hope for a fifth season of our beloved Hart of Dixie? —Elisabeth
Ausiello: Answer’s still no.

Question: I would love to have some scoop on Gotham. I really need some spoilers about Bruce and Alfred. —Veronika
Ausiello: Be careful what you wish for, Ronnie. Gotham boss Bruno Heller told Matt Mitovich that although stabbing victim Alfred will be up and about when the Fox drama returns on Monday, he’ll have a dickens of a time stopping Master Bruce from discovering “something about his family that is earth-shattering.”

AAQuestion: Please tell me you’re moderating the Gilmore Girls reunion panel at ATX TV Fest in June! —Nick
Ausiello: I would if I could but I’m not! I (quietly) campaigned for the gig, but ATX organizers very respectfully turned me down. Trying to find out who they chose so I can key their car wish them the best of luck!

Question: I’ve been a loyal TVLine fangirl for years now, but never e-mailed before. The Blind Item at the end of last week’s Ask Ausiello, however, is driving me nuts! Can you give us another hint, pretty please? —Taïs
Ausiello: I can tell you, unequivocally, that it is most definitely, 100 percent not anyone on a CBS show. I can also tell you that it’s…. Nope, that’s all I can tell you.

Question: Any scoop on HBO’s Looking wrap-up special? Will it be a handful of episodes? A movie? Something else entirely? —Seth
Ausiello: It’ll be a two-hour movie, and it’s scheduled to start shooting in September with an eye on a tentative January 2016 premiere.

Question: Please tell me that Nashville is going to be OK. When I heard that Connie Britton was joining American Crime Story, I immediately began searching for info about Nashville. But I’m not finding anything out. So what’s the scoop? —Hope
Ausiello: She’s a guest star in Crime Story, not a series regular. So one has nothing to do with the other. The ABC drama is currently holding steady at “could go either way” on our Renewal Scorecard, but it’s slowly creeping into “safe bet” territory. (At least this week.)

saulQuestion: Too early to ask about Homeland Season 5? —Gerry
Ausiello: It’s early-ish, but I’ve got a few nuggets for you. Season 5, which picks up nearly three years after the events of the Season 4 finale , will find Carrie and Saul somewhat estranged. “As we open the season, Saul is back in the CIA and Carrie is out of it,” exec producer Alex Gansa shares. “So that’s going to create, by definition, a distance between them.” Carrie will also be apart from another former colleague — Quinn. Speaking of the almost-lovers, Gansa admits the writers room remains divided on “how much of the connection between Carrie and Quinn… is actually romantic [versus] operational,” adding, “How much is just that they recognize each other so well? How much is the desire for both of them to move on past this job that they do. Those are the questions that we’re wrestling with. We wrestled with them last season. We’re wrestling with them again.”

Question: Arrow scoop, please! —C.J.
Ausiello: This just in: The title of the Season 3 finale is “My Name Is Oliver Queen,” as confirmed by EP Marc Guggenheim on Twitter. (And speaking of the finale, should fans be concerned about any of the cast missing from this picture?)

This AAnd That…
My gut is telling me Shonda Rhimes is taking a “go big or go home” approach to this year’s Grey’s Anatomy finale, which will air in two parts and feature at least three, new, potentially recurring characters.
Controversial opinion: I’m not convinced a Twin Peaks revival shepherded primarily by co-creator Mark Frost would be an unmitigated disaster. Would I prefer to have David Lynch involved? Yes, absolutely. But keep in mind, Lynch/Frost already justifiedturned in all nine scripts, so DL’s fingerprints would still be all over this thing. And Lynch was one of many excellent directors who worked on Peaks‘ first 32 episodes (Frost being one of them). In summation, please don’t hurt me.
On the eve of the its series finale, I think I’m ready to declare Justified one of the most underrated shows of the past decade. Who’s with me?

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman and Kim Roots)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. LADY_in_MD says:

I think the blind item might be about Elizabeth Hurley on The Royals I know the show is outlandish but I do love it and can see her being a bit of a drama Queen lol…plus the ratings are ok and its already been picked up for a 2nd season…but what do i know…

2. Renee Boyle says:

Hurray for you including Outlander!!!!

• 1mars says:

Absolutely and as both a tv and book fan, I have no problem with that little change of the abbey’s location. Now I’m hoping that doesn’t mean there will be a change in the final event, it’s pretty darn important.

3. Kimberly says:

I completely agree with you on Justified–AWESOME, underrated show–so is The Americans!

• gdv says:

Justified is amazing! I wouldn’t say the entire series is underrated considering it’s been nominated for several awards, especially in its first seasons. However, I DO think its last few seasons have been underrated. (I’m thinking of the Drew Thompson season. “Decoy” was the best episode of anything I saw that year.)

• I agree too. Justified is highly underrated. I love it so much!!! And yeah, The Americans too!

• Chitown_mimi says:

Completely agree!! “Discovered” Justified last summer and love it to death! Might end up being one of those shows that is discovered by the world via Netflix.

4. J says:

5. That photo is a little misleading as it is really only half the table or so. Roy is probably one of the seats behind or to the side of the camera.

• I’m hoping!!!! Please don’t kill of Roy!

• MattySi says:

I was hoping for the same thing but he is main character so he should be at the head of the table with Felicity, Oliver, and Diggle. But then Ra’s is up there too with John Barrowman’s character so maybe Roy just isn’t a main focus of the episode. Also I do notice that Willa Holland isn’t there so maybe she and Roy took off?

6. Sa says:

Did you read the sides again when it comes to Grey’s, because according to the sides we will maybe get three new interns, or do you have inside source?

• Tina says:

I was thinking the same thing after reading this Grey’s scoop, according to the 11.22 sides they are casting 2-3 new interns.

• Pearl says:

After those tweets from Ellen Pompeo, I’m leaning towards Nina Dobrev being one of those interns.
        I mean… Shonda is a smart woman, this would breathe new life in the demo, since Nina would bring lots of young fans, and Nina said that things would not be what people were expecting, so I’m guessing that, while everyone thinks she’s going to try the movie business, she’s actually going to another series.

7. Al says:

I love Grey’s big finales

I wonder what will happen this year?!!??

• TVNerd says:

me too I can’t wait!!! The shooter in the hospital and the air plane crash were one of the most entertaining finales ever!! Last year was disappointing and I don’t like it when they don’t do something outrageously big!

• I love them as well. I understand why they are criticized for the manufactured drama and why people complain that there is just no way so many crazy things would happen in one hospital, but these big finales have resulted in the finest acting the show has produced thus far. The episode featuring the shooter also produced a masterful performance by Bailey…she was incredible. I can extend my disbelief enough to appreciate the results.

8. alistaircrane says:

I agree about Twin Peaks. The episodes are still co-written by him. Obviously his directing them would be the best option, but I just want those 9 episodes produced. Hopefully Showtime will get their act together and make amends with Lynch asap.

• johnhelvete says:

I think the best option might be Lynch directing episode 1 and maybe episode 9, which would keep Lynch involved in the series but realistically he was never going to direct all 9 episodes. Also dont see what Showtime has to make “amends” for because I dont believe that whatever budget proposed by them is so out of whack.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

Great scoop on Homeland but it’s too early to tell on what will happen in Season Five. The season finale let viewers down and what are the chances Peter Quinn aka Rupert Friend comes back for the upcoming season?

• ajdito@gmail says:

Why wouldn’t Rupert be back? After the Paleyfest panel, the writers even made hints that led me to believe Quinn would still have a story in S5…

10. Joel says:

I hope the blind Item isn’t Taraji P. Henson. I have always liked her.

11. Stephanie says:

I’m not usually a big fan of the CF/CPD crossovers but I’m definitely looking forward to seeing Casey and Voight having to work together. Jesse Spencer and Jason Beghe had some great scenes together in season one of Chicago Fire and their characters meeting again has been a long time coming.

• Denise says:

I only watch Chicago Fire so I get a bit annoyed by all these crossovers or having characters appear on another show without notice but I might actually watch that one. Last night’s Chicago Med backdoor pilot was actually good.

12. Grover says:

What??? A Gilmore panel w/o you — an actual former cast member (okay, extra) — as MC??? That seems as wrong as Lorelai without Luke!

13. Jennifer says:

Yasss, more Cruella!

14. Gail says:

So Roy’s (Colton) not at the Arrow table read? RIP

• Nate says:

Neither is Quentin.

• Willa is missing as well. I don’t think that the photo is necessarily telling of anything.(Plus, I don’t think that the showrunners would allow for such a major spoiler to slip. If anything, they may have used that pick as a sort of misdirection.)

• Alexa says:

I mean it be to bold that 3 key characters are not in that reading table, like the show is going to kill off 3 main characters at the same time. That is not likely but I have this hunch that something is going to happen to either Roy or Lance something bad. The last episodes had been like throwing up hints of what could had happen in the season finale and something tells me is not good for either Roy or Lance. Thea I dont know

• Isobel says:

Dectective Lance I’d say, as Roy could still have comic storylines they could explore like his drug taking

15. Trish says:

I’m not concerned. I’m hopeful. I’m praying that my theory is right. Arrow needs more John Diggle and original team arrow focus. *crosses fingers*

16. Kit says:

Did anyone else notice that the “address” on this is coming up as “” Is there a spoiler we aren’t being told about?

• Ashleah Youn says:

Well, if there’s three new characters who could become recurring, that probably means a few characters are going to snuff it so there’s room.

My vote’s for Stephanie, since she’s pretty much dead weight.

17. Ross says:

I absolutely completely agree about Twin Peaks!! Sure David Lynch is preferable, but I would be perfectly willing and happy to have Mark Frost in charge.

18. Sarah says:

when will shonda rhimes get that the new recurring characters always suck?

• Kenbud says:

Yeah, cuz when she brought Callie on … that sucked.
      Then she brought Arizona on … man, did that suck.
      Then Owen … oh wow, SUCKAGE!
      Jackson is the worst … can’t believe she brought him on. #sarcasm

• Ali says:

I quite like Jo & Stephanie. They’re growing on me for sure

• Babygate says:

Callie joined during the second season with a lighter cast, and she was an award-winning actress, so was more seasoned. The newbies are more polarizing. Lots of people still hate Arizona, Owen can’t stand on his own and Jackson is pretty but a total snoozefest without April. And the last batch of interns were pretty awful. I’ve learned to tolerate Jo because she’s funny, Stephanie I still don’t like much.

19. Lauren says:

So with you on’s always been so good and underrated. I’m glad that its final season has been especially stellar. I will be sad this time next week but I am sure it will go out with a bang. Any news on what the cast members will be doing next?

20. Steven says:

The fact that they renewed some contracts on the Good Wife seems like a good sign we’ll get at least 1 more season.

21. eva says:

I was watching Chicago fire last night good episode by the way i was wondering if anyone nos if Peter Mills character is leaving Chicago fire

22. Totally agree on the Justified comment. Especially this year – best since Mags!

23. kenL says:

I agree re your comment about the Twin Peaks revival. I’m also of the opinion that Showtime, having committed itself to doing the revival and working with Lynch, wouldn’t have shortchanged the production so much as to make it undoable. Of course, I have no idea if I’m right….maybe they were nickel and diming Lynch on how much they would spend, but something doesn’t sit right here. A big question is would the actors remain on the project without Lynch directing?

• Joey says:

I’m sure that its more Lynch nickel-and-diming Showtime. He knows how much he’s wanted by fans so he probably thinks he can milk Showtime for much more money than he probably deserves.

24. lorna says:

Im so sick of shonda always expanding the cast, even recurring wise.

25. schiss says:

I have never missed an episode! I will truly miss Justified!

26. Tv diva says:

I couldn’t agree more about Justified. I love/loved the series and hate to see it go!! Timothy Olyphant definitely deserves an Emmy, as well as Walton Scoggins.

27. abz says:

Thanks, Michael for answering my question. I didn’t think she would die especially after Will died last season. I’m thinking she might end up being prosecuted and going to jail. LOL just had a thought of Kalinda being in Orange Is The New Black. That would be pretty interesting.
    “Sympathy for the De Vil” is pretty much one of my favourite titles for a OUAT episode. It’s just so awesome! I can’t wait to see Cruella’s episode. I hope we get to see more of her powers and Pongo as well. Also, glad they will address the portal thing.

28. Ryan says:

I am completely with you about Justified. This is the best season yet, IMO. The actress playing Ava is the MVP of this season, IMO.

29. Jenn says:

Maybe you guys need to send Shonda a nice basket of goodies to get back on her good side? You do realize that it is dangerous to report sides as scoops? You end up believing a character is in an accident when they are just talking to a kid on a phone…

• Gratiana says:

No need to be so hateful Grati. I’m sure you’ll be getting MD scoop soon enough.

• Babygate says:

Last time he was accused of using the sides when he said that the tall police captain could be possible love interest for Callie, and he was right. Just sayin’

30. NOLANOLA says:

”BOYD CROWDER” actor Goggins should have been nominated for MULTIPLE ACTING AWARDS by now.
    real shame.
    the WRITERS too.

31. Sims says:

Enjoying ‘This AAnd That…’ feature, hope you keep it up :) Also think that it’s Mindy Kaling for that “bonkers” leading lady blind item.

• S. says:

The Mindy Project’s done for the season so Mindy couldn’t presently be driving anybody bonkers and it sounded like this was happening present tense (or relative present and even that wouldn’t include TMP since for her show to wrap in March, it’s been a few weeks at least since they were filming). Her cast and writers seem to love her in all her glory, plus TMP hasn’t been renewed (yet, but hopefully…) so I doubt they’re dreading going back to work next season. They don’t know there *will* be a next season. If Mindy were that bonkers, I dunno that she’d pull people like Colbert to appear on her show. There are an awful lot of notable people willing to appear on a low-rated series. It can’t just be promise of exposure or money because there isn’t that much. They must want to work with her so that speaks volumes. This is probably the most underrated show on tv that’s not called The Americans.

• Sims says:

Have you been WATCHING TMP lately? It’s awful. It used to be good, now it’s a disaster zone. Plus if you look at the number of people that leave the show, the staff turn around suggests she isn’t the best show runner in town.

32. Andrew says:

“But keep in mind, Lynch/Frost already justifiedturned in all nine scripts, so DL’s fingerprints would still be all over this thing.”

That’s only true if you think Lynch’s sensibility is primarily conveyed through his writing. I don’t. I think it’s conveyed most through visuals and post-work, with writing a distant third.

• Geo says:

Excellent point. Think about the Red Lodge, for example. Given what it represents in the script, a lot of directors would have just made it this spooky, dark place with a lot of fog or something. Lynch made it distinctive and iconic. Same thing with the performances. Imagine Pete in episode 1 saying the lines “she’s dead… wrapped in plastic.” He could have said those lines in a normal sad or upset way, but Lynch has him say it with this really distinctive and offbeat cadence. It can’t be underestimated how much of an influence David Lynch has beyond the scripts.

33. Traci says:

I think Debra Messing is the leading lady.

I love the big Grey’s finales so I’m excited and hoping its something huge. I’m not thrilled about potential new characters mostly because it probably means someone else is leaving/dying. I’ll reserve judgement until I see it, Bring it on, I say.

34. Leah says:

Could it be the Vampire Diaries, since the leading lady just shared that she is leaving? I don’t want it so am not sure about the ratings…

35. Chris says:

Mike – I think you have an AA spinoff with your this AA and that AA. Just saying (exec producer credit necessary)

36. Marge says:

Tell Shonda to stop adding characters to Grey’s Anatomy.

37. a says:

Any update on Castle negotiations?

38. Mr. Smith says:

Justified IS THE most underrated show of the past decade! Going to miss this show when its over.

39. Tahina says:

I hope one of those potentially recurring characters is Dan(Kevin Alejandro) on Grey’s. .would love to see him back for Callie.

40. Mary says:

Not too worried about who we can’t see in that Arrow pic. Most are focusing on the fact that Colton is missing, but he isn’t the only one. I don’t see Willa Holland in it either, but then there are people we can’t fully see or even at all that are there.

41. SoFla says:

I will very much miss Justified when it ends. The cast is amazing, they have done a fabulous job this season keeping me entertained and the addition of Sam Elliott was just icing on an already fabulous cake. Wish it wasn’t ending, but glad I had the opportunity to watch.

42. dman6015 says:

“…stopping Master Bruce from discovering “something about his family that is earth-shattering.” OMG! He has a twin sister on Alderaan and his father was Ralph Nader!

43. Bill says:

1. Not worried about Arrow pix. It doesn’t include the whole table!!!

2. With you on Justified. Shame it never got proper recognition. Hope Olyphant has another project – don’t want him away from TV for too long!

44. Justified has been consistently the best show on television for its entire run. I’m trying to imagine a life without Boyd and Raylan, but I’m still in denial.

45. bj says:

I agree completely about Justified. It’s one of my favorite shows. I hope we see the actors in new series soon.

46. erninlow says:

Justified is one of the most underrated shows on TV and has one of the best casts and characters (Raylan, Boyd, Ava, Arlo, Loretta, Dewey, Wynn Duffy Bob Sweeney, just to name a few!). It is a shame that there has been no Emmy love for the show, the writers, Timothy Olyphant or Walton Goggins. This season has been good and I can’t wait to see what will happen in the finale.

47. Amanda says:

I agree with you about Justified! Great show, but then I have watched “I am Number $” 1/2 a dozen times just to see Timothy Oliphant. I hope to see him in anything- or nothing….

48. Babybop says:

I vote Halle Berry as the “bonkers leading lady”. I’ve heard many a rumor that she can be crazy. Though I don’t know if Extant counts as “popular”…

49. Dizzle says:

I still think the Blind Item could be Connie Britton on Nashville, although I really don’t want it to be!

50. Nan says:

Absolutely correct that Justified was underrated! It was one of our favorites and will be sorely missed!