The Mindy Project Recap: Practice Made Perfect?

The Mindy Project Season 3 Recap

If you thought Mindy was the biggest flibbertigibbet in the Lahiri clan, may we re-introduce you to her younger brother, Rishi?

This week’s Mindy Project brings back Dr. L’s feckless sibling, who’s dealing drugs and making a mess of his life in San Francisco. But the super-frustrating Rishi helps Min come to an epiphany regarding her academic future, and that epiphany keeps her in New York, so we’ll give him a pass.

Read on for a review of “Lahiri Family Values.”

RELATED The Mindy Project Pages Laverne Cox for Season 3 Guest Role

CALIFORNIA, HERE WE COME | The episode begins in the doctor’s lounge, moments after Mindy’s dropped the baby news on Danny. He wants to rush to City Hall and make her an honest woman pronto, but Mindy protests. Marriage, she says, “should be for love. Or, at minimum, for reality-show ratings.” (Ha.)

Danny reluctantly agrees, and they go back to his place. The next morning, it’s clear that the zygote in Mindy’s belly already completely owns its father. Danny presses his face to Mom’s abdomen and asserts that he knows the child is male. “I can hear his penis,” he claims. Charming.

But Mindy has to go back to San Francisco to start the practice with Rob, something Danny is shocked she still wants. She reminds him that women can have families and careers — “I mean, rich women,” she amends — and pretty soon, Danny is promising to move to California with her. She’s pleased, they exchange “I love yous,” and Mindy leaves to catch her plane.

RELATED Mindy Project: Star Mindy Kaling Reveals How That Big Twist Came About

DEADBEAT RISHI | Problem: When Mindy and Rob apply for a small business loan, they’re turned down because Mindy co-signed on an apartment that defaulted. She immediately marches to Rishi’s ‘Frisco pad — the door of which is covered with eviction notices — and simultaneously scolds him for being so irresponsible/reveals the fact that he’s going to be an uncle.

Dr. L has a solution to her bro’s money woes: He can use his biology degree and be a med tech at her new practice. Rishi nearly has the gig… until Rob realizes that the younger Lahiri is dealing drugs.

A furious Mindy drives Rishi to his boss, who goes by “Big Murder”… and he turns out to be a B-school nerd (played by Selfie‘s John Cho) with a thriving illicit pharmacy operation going on. Min realizes that Rishi deals not (only) for the cash, but for the affirmation that Big Murder doles out on the regular. Still, dealing drugs is not OK (thanks, The More You Know!), so Min forces Rishi to quit — and then reluctantly walks away, herself, when Big Murder offers her seven figures to write fake prescriptions.

RELATED Mindy Project Adds Vanessa Williams

ACTUALLY… | Everything ends well, except that as Mindy talks with Rob, she realizes that she misses the Island of Misfit Toys that is Shulman and Associates. So she bails on the California practice and drops out of her Stanford program, but soon realizes (with Neepa and Rishi’s help) that she can start her own practice in New York. And wouldn’t you know, Cliff happens to be moving out of his office space right then…

DADDY DID IT | The installment’s B-plot involves everyone at the practice thinking that Danny is dying when, in fact, he’s just planning to leave to live in California with Mindy. It’s the classic Morgan-incorrectly-deduces-something-and-then-everyone-believes-him-even-though-he’s-almost-never-right deal, but the interactions between Jeremy and Danny are pretty funny. Anyway, the entire staff is ticked when they realize that Danny and Mindy are planning to leave, so Dr. C blurts that he’s going to be a dad — even though he warned Mindy not to say anything until the second trimester — and everyone instantly starts cheering and hugging him. (Side note: The series is going to go all the way with this pregnancy, right? Though academically I think it would be interesting to see how Danny and Mindy would handle a blow like a miscarriage, no part of me wants to watch that actually play out.)

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Favorite line? Sound off in the comments!

1. Mare says:

NO, NO MISCARRIAGE!!! Bite your tongue! That’s way too sad and heavy for a show that’s supposed to make me laugh!

I kind of want Mindy to stay in Shulman though, sigh.

• JoMarch says:

I had the same thought; I wanted to see how Danny & Mindy would handle a miscarriage, but that would be really a downer. I don’t get why they added the pregnancy to the show because here’s 2 O.B.’s and they have an accidental pregnancy? If anyone should know how to prevent a pregnancy it s/b a physician.

2. Meg says:

Mindy Kaling has already made comments about how fun it is playing pregnant Mindy in the show, so I’d imagine they’re going all the way with the pregnancy.

3. Jess says:

Hey Kimberly. Kaling has said that she will not give birth this season (it will be next, assuming and praying that they get another season) and that they are fitting her for a baby bump for a couple of episodes from now. Based on all of this, I think we can safely say there will not be a miscarriage. Whew!

4. mary says:

I would support a miscarriage. I think it would be really good story that his show would handle amazingly. One of my favorite things about Scrubs was how it would mix heavy and funny. Mindy has done it too at times it makes the funny more intense. Probably won’t happy.

I freaking LOVE Rishi can we trade Ma for Rishi? So not Ma fan but I love love love Rishi and all Lahiris. This episode was hilarious. I was dying laughing at all the throw away lines. So good. I do wish they would have made the program shorter so she would have finished and then chosen to start a practice in New York instead of SF. I kind of hate she didn’t finish the program.

I will say this is was one of my favorite episodes of the season, loved the use of the other cast and having Mindy & Danny interact with other characters.

Did I mention I love Rishi, if I can’t have Peter I will take Rishi. I also loved we found out that Mindy’s parents might not be cool with her having a baby with a white man.

5. Samara says:

The best part of this episode was John Cho, I’ve really missed him, and I miss Selfie. And any episode with Rishi is always a great one, he’s hilarious, I’d really love to see him be a series regular, he’s way more entertaining than Morgan & co

6. B says:

Are they ever going to cool it with the “super catholic” jokes? Danny clearly doesn’t have a problem with premarital sex, so how can he have a problem with every other little thing that’s supposedly against his religion?

• Kay says:

Because people have the right to choose what they do and do not believe, even within a particular religion. He was raised Catholic and has that particular mentality- he may not be incredibly orthodox, but it’s a huge part of who he is.

• JoMarch says:

Because Danny is a “cafeteria” Catholic (a phrase coined by a priest in my parrish). They pick and choose what rules to follow based on what’s convenient to them.

7. Rafael says:

So Mindy misunderstood Rishi. Rishi is no drug-dealer, he is a educated person and of course drug-dealers are not all the time stupid.

So everyone notices about Mindy getting pregnant, but what about marriage?

Now I still think that I am desperate to beg for these ASAP:

1.) Get Beverly to see more of Annette and Dot so there will be a club of 3 B.A.D. cranky old women involved to socialize. (B.A.D. stands for Beverly, Annette, Dot).

2.) Let Betsy return ASAP to strengthen the interaction in this show.

• S. says:

Maybe have Betsy back and explain that she’d left to add to her education so she could work as a med tech or something.

• Rafael says:

Betsy should return as reduced and recurring guest, but we still need some additional guest characters, who are like Betsy, to appear more often in this show. I don’t need Gwen and Shauna anymore right now.

8. A fan of TV says:

This show tries to avoid cliches, and in my opinion the whole superstition of keeping it under wraps, accidentally blurting it out then losing the baby cuz ‘the warning was there’ is TOTAL cliche, and not a funny one, either.

9. TV says:

Great recap. I completely agree; i would love seeing a dark twist like that ensue in a sitcom.

10. Kate says:

I doubt a miscarriage basically because there is a lot of high end maternity wear that I could see the show more wants to explore. And then, the idea that Danny and Mindy have to make decisions about a third person? They could barely handle Peter! That has a lot more comedy gold in it.

11. jeremy says:

i THOUGHT THIS PROGRAMME WAS GETTING THE AXE

12. Jeremy says:

When is is getting axed, hope it,s soon.