Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Flash Boss on Wells' Agenda, Joe's Secret, Barry's New Girl

The Flash Season 1 Spoilers

On Tuesday night’s The Flash, the prodigal son, Hartley Rathaway (AKA Pied Piper) returned to S.T.A.R. Labs to expose Dr. Wells’ deep, dark secret.

No, not the one about him being Reverse-Flash, but the fact that he knew the particle accelerator might explode yet went ahead with the launch anyway.

RELATED The Flash Tangles With Spartacus Star Liam McIntyre as New Weather Wizard

Meanwhile, Joe couldn’t ignore his instincts that Dr. Wells is hiding something and thus tasked Eddie with investigating him.

Here, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg reveals when we’ll get answers about Wells’ mysterious plans and what toll Joe’s secret will have on his relationship with Barry. The EP also previews Hartley’s future and the introduction of Barry’s new girlfriend.

I’M FRIENDS WITH THE ‘MONSTER’… | Dr. Wells’ “endgame will happen this season,” Kreisberg promises. “Wells has a definitive plan. When you look back, you’ll see he’s had a definitive reason for doing all the things that he’s done throughout the course of the season. We think it makes sense. Hopefully, you all will, too.” And it sounds like Barry’s mentor is truly a villain despite some of the good he’s done for the Speedster. “As secrets start to come out, how do you reconcile the Harrison Wells that we see in this episode, who’s a friend and selfless and kind, with this monster?” the EP posits. Another big question in the writers’ room after the doc’s identity was revealed to viewers: “The only debate we had amongst ourselves was how long will the audience accept knowing he’s the villain and having the rest of our characters not know, which is something we’ve been dealing with for the back half of the season. Are people going to feel like they’re dumb for not realizing this? Part of what’s keeping these next stream of episodes going is how good at hiding his villainy Wells is, and how strong Tom [Cavanagh]’s performance is.”

The Flash Season 1 SpoilersEXAMINING THE DOCTOR | Joe and Eddie’s secret mission to dig into Dr. Wells’ background will unspool “in pretty interesting ways,” Kreisberg teases. “In an upcoming episode, Joe and Cisco – without letting Cisco know what he’s really thinking – launch a pretty spectacular investigation into what happened the night Barry’s mother died, which plays out in a really cool way.” While their plan is “definitely going to be causing problems for everyone,” Joe and Barry’s father-son bond will not suffer in the process, Kreisberg assures. “It’s more about what they’re going to do as opposed to creating a schism between them.”

RELATED CW Eyeing DC Comics’ Atom Series

The Flash Season 1 SpoilersPIED PIPER’S ENCORE | Viewers won’t have to wait long for Hartley’s threat against Cisco — he’ll soon let him free because he has intel on Ronnie’s whereabouts — to come to fruition. “The repercussions of that will play out in the next episode,” Kreisberg previews. “Caitlin’s reaction to this information and also the knowledge that Cisco closed the door on Ronnie in the accelerator is both surprising and not at all surprising.” As for the Pied Piper’s future, Kreisberg is “hopeful” that Andy Mientus (Smash) will reprise the role beyond next Tuesday, and that redemption is possible for the character. As such, the EPs took care to make sure that while Hartley “tries to kill people, there are no actual deaths.”

PICTURE PERFECT | Shockingly, that selfie – which, if it got into the wrong hands, could mean big trouble for Barry – will not rear its ugly head again. “We don’t have any plans for that to bite us,” Kreisberg admits.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU | You may have noticed that the show made its first mention of the Speed Force this week, which plays a big role in Flash comic book lore. “For now, it’s a catch-all phrase that speaks to a grander universe and a grander power and, ultimately, grander abilities,” Kreisberg says.

LOVE IS IN THE AIR | Looking ahead to Barry’s romantic life, Kreisberg describes love interest Linda Park (played by The Vampire Diaries‘ Malese Jow) as “a spark plug. She’s a firecracker. She’s a lot of fun. She’s ballsy and she speaks her mind and she’s cool. Barry can’t believe that somebody like her is interested in him.” Her presence will also “cause all the other women in his life to maybe see a little green.”

1. herman1959 says:

Too much spoilage! I’m not looking forward to seeing Barry with anyone other than Iris.

2. Skittles&Bits says:

Harrison’s body is having a hard time controlling the speed force. So he jumps back in time to become his arch-nemesis’ mentor; he trains Barry so that once Barry’s power mature enough, Harrison can steal it?

• herman1959 says:

What about the accidental time travel…think there’s a connection?

• Skittles&Bits says:

To be honest, I feel like Harrison time traveled on purpose. It seems like he needs another speedster’s power to drain before his body loses all connection to the speed force; according to the newspapers, the Flash in his original time had disappeared by then (probably traveling back in time to stop the Reverse Flash from killing his mom). It’d be cool if they did an episode where present-day!Flash learns the truth about Harrison from Future!Flash.

• herman1959 says:

I was referring to the fact that the EP has said that Barry will have an “accidental time travel” episode, but I wondered how that could be. Now, after reading your first post, I’m wondering if it has something to do with Wells – maybe he is chasing Reverse Flash and he gets pulled out of the present accidentally?

• Skittles&Bits says:

Oh that’s brilliant! I didn’t hear about that Barry’s accidental blast to the past trip! Now I’m doubly excited. I think it may be because Barry’s chasing RF like you said. Man, I cannot *wait* for that episode to air!

• Eminado says:

It involves a different villain called Weather Wizard.

• venok62094 says:

Harrison Wells is the future Barry Allen. Wells and Allen are one. That’s why the Flash is missing in the future because Wells travelled back through time to help his past (which is Barry Allen) to develop the Flash. As we saw in the last episode, Wells was running fast. His color is also red. That is also why reverse flash has also the same costume with barry’s costume because it was made by the future Cisco. :)) Also Wells killed his mother he thought she would be a hindrance for Barry to be the Flash that He is now.

When Barry discovered the truth, he goes back to the past to try saving his mother but he failed so he felt the guilt and he became hard-hearted that made him the new him which is Harrison Wells.

Just my assumption. :D

• venok62094 says:

Just my assumption. :D

3. phuong says:

i can’t wait I love Malese Jow!!!!!

4. jrex says:

Wondering if this Linda Park will be any relation to the older Linda Park who had a cameo in the pilot?

5. Nikunj Dixit says:

I just find this Linda Park thing a little queezy given that she’s Wally’s future wife in my mind. Also, why are all other women in Barry’s life going to be jealous? Iris I get. But the only other woman in his life is Caitlin and I don’t see why she would “seeing green”.

• Tkeman918 says:

Because the EP has already teased that Felicity will be coming back to town soon to have Cisco help with Ray Palmer’s ATOM suit. It would make perfect sense if she was jealous of Barry going out with someone.

• Briggs says:

I think bigger things than Linda will be happening by then. See this week’s Ask Ausiello.

• Nikunj Dixit says:

Yeah, that’s still a while away. That’s ep 18 if I remember correctly. Besides, I think they pretty conclusively friendzoned Barry and Felicity at this point. I don’t think Felicity would have any particular reason to be jealous of anyone Barry’s dating.

6. abz says:

I like the Pied Piper character. Hoping he can stay on even as an occasional guest appearance in the future.
    Love the Joe/Barry relationship. It really is a joy to watch and I’m glad they won’t be causing any rifts between them any time soon. I hope they don’t drag out the Barry/Iris reveal beyond this season. Not a fan of the trend of prolonged secrets on shows. One season I can deal with, but if she’s left in the dark till the end of the second season or beyond, then it just gets annoying and lame.

7. George Kon says:

I think Wells is Barry from another time Line trying to Help this Barry not make the same mistakes he did

8. Joey Padron says:

Good episode. Pie Piper did good in episode. surprised Wells speed powers is draining so fast. Glad to see when Cisco & Caitlin met in flashback. Hope Joe will be careful looking into Wells. Can’t wait for next episode!

9. schumi8 says:

Why was Hartley called the Piped Piper??/

10. Maryann says:

I hope that Wells remains three dimensional and that he has good reasons for doing the things he does.

11. justsomeguy says:

Well, if SHIELD proved anything, it’s that you can turn a good character bad in an instant and have it be believable if you pay attention to the trail of breadcrumbs along the way. I think the show is doing that, but haven’t completely revealed enough yet for it make complete sense yet. We know he’s the reverse Flash, and we also know he has traveled through time, and we also know he has lied about everything up until this point.

I sometimes find it hard to believe this show is only in its first season, having only aired 11 episodes to date. So much has happened, and the quality of the show really never dropped off. It has been really great to watch every week.

12. Nessie says:

I know that they keep saying Well is definitely a villain but I’m still holding out hope that he doesn’t end up that way. I want it to be more complicated then that (and obviously my bias is wanting him on Barry’s side in the end). My enjoyment of the show will dramatically decrease if he’s nothing more then a villain in the end.

13. Briggs says:

Did anyone else notice how Barry was able to readily commiserate over one’s hero not being what you expected?

14. Pat says:

Again, a very good episode. I really love the bond between Barry and Joe. I just wish Dr Wells would just tell the truth about everything, including the part where he can actually walk. For a brief moment when he was talking to all of them in the lab and telling them that he was going to gain back their trust I thought he was going to start by getting out of that wheel chair. I just do not know how to trust this guy when he is still hiding so much and he seems to be up to something that seems to be evil.

15. Raymond says:

I think Wells is actually Jay Garrick pretending to be RF in order to train and prepare Barry for His encounter with the true RF (future Eddie) and upcoming Crisis event.

16. RichCD says:

This is a good show, but some parts of it are really starting to bug me. In last week’s episode, Barry had to run from the two guys with the super guns. Couldn’t he have just stayed behind them? This week, he is shown taking the keys from three different bikers in about a second. Why couldn’t he do that with Captain Cold? Then, there’s the whole ‘prison’ set-up for the metahumans. So these guys just get shut away in a very small box. Sure it ‘looks’ cool, but do metahumans not need food or use the bathroom?

I know it’s just ‘a comic book show’, but since this is in the Arrow universe, there is the expectation that the source material would be treated seriously and with a modicum of common sense.

• Rob Watkins says:

Flash was trying to make the guns useless.

As for the prison, get over it, I’m sure they get fed and go to the bathroom somehow, but why do we need to see it. It’s like any other show, why do we need to see the characters go to the bathroom? It’s not at all connected to the plot, it’s a needless detail.

How many times did Jack Bauer eat or even take a leak in 9 years on 24?

• Dipto says:

talking about arrow universe, how does slade wilson eat?? from where he gets the food in an island??

17. LT says:

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW!

18. jmatth says:

Wells isn’t the reverse flash. I think Eddie is and it’s some sort of twist we will find out later. I feel like eddie will want revenge when he loses everything to Barry and somehow gains powers at some point somehow. Dr wells is just making sure everything happens the way it’s supposed to so there are no bigger consequences in the future Since he is able to see it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

From this month’s TCA press tour:

TOM CAVANAGH: “Yes, I am Reverse Flash.”

• Reck says:

I think Dr.wells is future flash….In Ep11 when the glass shatter u can see him running and leaving red lightining behind………….

• Gail says:

Since time travel will soon be introduced it is possible that Dr. Wells is the future version of a present day character. Speculation has him being a future Eddie or Barry. When Tom said he was the Reverse Flash, it doesn’t mean he is the only character who is.
      Perhaps in the future he beat Barry and now regrets it. So he went to the past to make Barry faster and better so that Barry can defeat him when the time comes. I don’t want Dr Wells to be the big bad because that means he will eventually be defeated, which could mean Tom would be off the show.

19. Lauren says:

2 Lindas? I remember a Linda i the pilot or was it in Arrow? Plus, Linda is Wally’s girl.

20. Cassidy says:

Jealous Caitlin ;) I’m here for it

21. Michael says:

That’s not even his actual dark secret. Not that he knew there was a chance of it exploding, he knew it would explode and create The Flash

22. Jared says:

Would love to see the Pied Piper be apart of Team Flash at some point. Possibly S2? He’s a cool character and everyone loves a good redemption comeback.

23. Reck says:

Dr.wells is future flash….In Ep11 when the glass shatter u can see him running and leaving red lightining behind…………..

• Joe says:

It has been said on a previous episode that the Flash has a red suit and yellow lightning and Reverse Flash has a yellow suit with red lightning. Therefore as much as I hate to say it Dr. Wells is reverse flash and the red lightning actually proves that.

24. smick says:

…weird choice on the “Linda Park” as-a-love-interest for Barry “The Flash” Allen …seeing as she is supposed to eventually have romantic ties to Wally “Kid-Flash” West …are they just doing a wash with that ever happening in the future? …or is Kid-Flash going to be closer to The Flash in age than I would imagine? (…as in, …not so much a “Kid” as the name should imply)

25. javadude54 says:

Dr. West knew the particle accelerator might explode? You can take it to the bank that he caused it to explode.

26. Robby says:

Did anyone see the red streak behind Dr. Wells when he used super speed down the hall, then stated oh no, and fell to the ground. Seems like everyone missed that – there was not a yellow streak beyond Dr. Wells when he used super speed, it was red. I believe Dr. Wells is actually Barry Allen from the future! Eddie is the reverse-flash- think about it!!!

27. doyle says:

I hate to say it dr wells is probably RF bkuz if u go back to episode 9 the man in the yellow suit does have a red streak n flash has a yellow streak. The red streak proves he is RF

• Joe says:

Exactly!!! I’m not sure why everyone keeps forgetting this. When Cisco named him Reverse Flash he specifically said barry has a red suit with yellow lightning and RF has yellow suit with red lightning. Thus the “Reverse” Flash.

28. Mark says:

I am still patiently waiting for Grodd to show up.

29. phil42 says:

OK here’s my problem with wells being the only reverse flash at the moment. In the man in the yellow suit episode we see wells and the reverse flash together in the same scene, even going so far as to have the rf kick the crap out of wells. So is there two rfs or did I miss something?

30. venok62094 says:

Just my assumption. :D

31. Bro33 says:

If wells is the reverse flash why was his streak red instead of yellow when he took off to avoid the shattered glass?

32. karin says:

Am i the only one who thinks Hartley looks like a younger Wells?

33. Rayay says:

This is my theory. Harrison Wells is actually Barry from the future. But after fighting RF in the future, he lost his powers so he went back in time to team up with Barry. The reason he has the yellow suit is because he fought RF in the future and won. That would also explain the tachyon device. So now he is trying to get his power back to defeat RF once and for all

34. octavio vasquez says:

When is the final flash episode going to air?

35. octavio vasquez says:

If wells is berry from the future y is killing