Post Mortems

Grimm Post Mortem: David Giuntoli on the Newest 'Biest, Wu's Confusion

Grimm Season 4 Spoilers David Giuntoli

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Grimm’s fall finale.

Let’s look on the bright side, Grimm fans: Maybe Nick secretly likes a Juliette on the street and a Hexenbiest in the sheets?

Because if the final few moments of the NBC drama’s fall finale are any indication, that might be a combination he’s going to have to get used to.

It appears the spell Juliette did to help her honey get his Grimm-ness back left her with a lingering case of Adalind-itis, “a major side effect,” star David Giuntoli notes.

Then again, “Isn’t everything a side effect of something in this show? Everything,” he says. “There’s always some hidden side effect, and we’re always in a rush to treat some illness, and we don’t think it all the way through, do we?”

Need something to tide you over until the supernatural series returns next year? Read on for Giuntoli’s take on Adalind’s upcoming visit to Portland, Wu’s Wesen education (finally!) and what he really wants to call the secret group targeting Monrosalee.

TVLINE | We haven’t seen more of Adalind and Nick being able to see through each other’s eyes. Does that come up again in what you’ve seen/shot so far?
Not that I know of. There are even more side effects to Juliette turning into Adalind. There should be, in the Spice Shop, some type of side effects list. We’re in the 21st century. We should be jotting this s—t down. We should also digitize this very soon. As part of Obamacare, we should digitize the side effects.

TVLINE | Adalind is on her way to Portland, and if Juliette morphs back into her, there could be two Adalinds running around the city.
There could be an epic showdown one day between two petite blondes. The featherweight championship of the world, somewhere in Grimm’s future.

TVLINE | You and Claire Coffee shot a love scene, which I imagine neither of you thought you’d be doing anytime soon.
I mean, listen: Yes, Adalind has really gotten around. Captain Renard, Hank and now Nick. Though it really wasn’t Adalind with Nick, but yes, Claire and I never thought that would… [Sighs] Acting is an awkward business from time to time. [Laughs] And sometimes you have to do a love scene with someone who feels like your sister.

TVLINE | We noted how it was a little dirty, at least for your show.
The sex scene?

TVLINE | Yes.
Yeah. The funny thing is, Bitsie [Tulloch] was in the room. She was up next. She did a morph thing. Y’know, workaday business!

TVLINE | When Nick got his powers back a few episodes ago, he turned that zombie gray a little bit.
He did.

TVLINE | Are we ever going to get to the bottom of what that is? Anything coming up about that?
I think as the show goes on and we can kind of build toward a closing point, one day, if we ever know when that is, God forbid that ever happens, I think everything will be answered.

TVLINE | Trubel’s not around in this episode. Will we see her again soon?
I don’t know. We will not be seeing Trubel in the next episode. Hopefully, we will be seeing her down the line. Even more hopefully, she gets her own spin-off show, which I think is great. I can do guest-star [appearances] every now and again. The aging Grimm. I can put my children through Ivy League universities by going on The Trubel Show.Grimm - Season 4

TVLINE | Your aforementioned wish is not going to come true, because Wu now knows about Wesen.
That’s right. Wu knows!

TVLINE | You’ve said you didn’t want that to happen.
I know. I don’t know if I should have said that. But it’s true. I think they did a brilliant job with it, and they know more about what they’re doing than I ever do. I think Reggie did a wonderful job of knowing, of finding out. Poor Reggie Lee now is in practically every scene with Hank and me. So he’s getting a taste of that. [Laughs] But I think it is great that Wu knows. I was scared. I think David Giuntoli fears change, but now that it has happened and the paradigm has shifted slightly, it’s a really cool thing. It’s wonderful to get him in on it.

TVLINE | How does he deal with the new knowledge?
I don’t want to speak for him, but when he’s been through so much torment and mental anguish that the news that this is in fact for real is a little easier to swallow. Reggie’s been playing it like he’s got an eye on us, on Hank and myself a little bit. But he is tentatively accepting this as OK. This is all making sense.

TVLINE | Can you see Wu as one of the gang, hanging out at the trailer, doing research?
I do see him hanging out at the trailer. This is where it goes. I see him as one of the gang now. It’s fun, because he’s still in blue all the time and describing crime scenes and rolling his eyes. It’s very fun to watch him in the know.

TVLINE | Monroe and Rosalee are never going to get that honeymoon, are they?
Oh come on! Of course they’re going to get their honeymoon!

TVLINE | Not at the end of this episode!
The world doesn’t end at the end of this episode. This is a 22-episode order. There is time for them. I assure you that Hank and I will go to every length to get them onto that stinkin’ plane to wherever they decide to celebrate.

TVLINE | Not if Secundum… I can’t pronounce it. Not if that group has something to say about it.
Secundum Naturam Orden Wesen, which I like to call SNOW.

TVLINE | I was wondering if we could get an acronym.
I know. I asked them, and they said it was too ridiculous. I think the writers actually thought of that, as SNOW as the acronym, and I thought of it, too, but they said it was too silly.

1. TV God says:

Great episode!

• Jon says:

Agree — LOVED the episode, although I think they need to cut down on the number of plots stuffed into one episode. I mean, we had Monrosalie’s honeymoon, the Secundum Naturae Ordinem Wesen, Wu’s breakdown, Juliette’s transformation, the Chupacabra AND the Adalind/Prince Wesley drama. That’s a lot.

After the break, I hope we get more episodes that drop the WoTW in favor of fleshing out the show’s vast mythology…

2. Alichat says:

Ha! SNOW I think they should have Hank or Nick say that on the show. “What’s the nameof that group again?” “Secundum Naturam Orden Wesen” “We have really got to shorten that.” “I agree, but SNOW just sounds silly.”

I had a feeling the twist would be Juliette becoming a Hexenbiest or there being some residual Hexenbiest tendencies in her. If they have her turn into Adalind, I’m going to hurl. If she becomes a Hexenbiest, I’m asssuming they just un-wesen her the same way Nick took Adalind’s powers, right?

3. James D says:

oh snap Juliette went all kinds of Hexenbeast that should be interesting. good episode can’t wait for it to come back. Poor Wu :)

4. The Kaibosh says:

Just drink Nick’s blood and presto, problem solved for Juliette. It should be that straight forward. If it isn’t then I call BS on Grimm changing its rules to suit the false drama it comes up with.

• lassirrra says:

I think it would be changing the rules if someone was born a hexenbeist didn’t lose their powers with Nick’s blood. I don’t think it’s changing the rules if that doesn’t work with Juliette. She is not a normal hexenbeist. She became one with a spell and possibly has some sort of connection with Adalind or her powers. I don’t think it would be unfair for this to complicate things.

• bigdave says:

What with the talk about Grimm blood and all: Wouldn’t it be sort of cool if we find out little Diana is actually a Grimm? Think about it. Adalind get’s her powers taken away with the blood of a Grimm. At the time she had an unfertilized egg awaiting fertilization and, naturally, the “blood of the Grimm” takes care of that. So what we end up with is not necessarily Nick’s daughter but something like a twin sister. LOL . . . Crazy how many twists and turns you can take with a show like this.

• RicFule says:

Or to continue this line of thought: Half Hexenbiest-half Grimm. Since we know the baby has powers already, since she was making her rattle{?} float in the car when they left. And it would be funny if when the baby is returned, they do a DNA test.

“Um, Viktor/Sean/Adalind, this child has NO Royal blood.” {With the name of the person being told listed instead of all three. Because we KNOW there’s no way you’re going to get all three of them into a room together without a major knockdown-dragout fight.} Or maybe it would be Nick’s mother who finds it out?

And then Adalind would be like, “But I didn’t sleep with anyone else!” Then, once the Royals find out, they’ll want to kill Adalind for “lying to them” about the baby’s paternity. And as she escapes their clutches, AGAIN, she can steal one {or all} of their keys. She would then return to Portland and tell Sean that the Royals never had the baby and show him the key/s she stole. Which would eventually make their way to Nick giving him, potentially, 5 of the 7. {Which is another thing. Since they HAVE 7 keys total, wasn’t it quite convenient that the second key he got his hands on, fit RIGHT beside the one he already owned?

5. Margaret says:

david & bitsie are dating, I know they’re both actors but that still had to be a little weird having her in the room!

6. Rich Abey says:

Juliette on the street and a Hexenbiest in the sheets….secret giggle! ;) Oh my this is indeed a dream come true. Before the midseason finale I was dreading having to sit through the obligatory ‘pregnant Juliette’ storyline but boy were we in for a treat during that last scene!

7. Dr Dreyeth says:

This is a excellent twist, I hope Juliette stays this way, standard US writing would string this along for awhile then have her cured, I prefer how a anime would handle this, she’d be a hexenbiest until the end of her days, anime has a tendency to progress and not backslide all the time like US writing.

Yep this is cool I hope it stays this way, she certainly is going to get a first hand glimpse of Nick’s and the Wesens world, I wonder if she’ll come to like the power being a Hexenbiest
    gives her, they’re pretty close to on par with the grimms.

Looks like shes going to be learning a little more then just potions now.

8. hannah says:

are Nick and Juliet ever going to get engaged?

9. Elisa says:

From the start I have loved the development of bonds between character’s. On screen your friendships transpire well. I do wish there was more background on Trubel. Looks like 2015 is going to leave us with Renards mom coming back and Wu having some mental relief. Adalind and Juliette, wonder if they are both pregnant by Nick? Can wait to see what is next.

10. Lucy S says:

I LOVED the show. I am looking forward to the education of Wu and the evolving of Juliette. This is going to be fun!

11. kristine says:

Please bring back trouble she should come back with the guy she left with and have those guys chasing her back to Portland

12. Rice says:

Will any more keys show up down the road? I love maps and am wondering when the map will really start to grow.

13. Jon says:

Kimberly, great interview! Who knew David Giuntoli was so snarky and funny? I love Nick’s moody heroics but I do wish they’d let David show the quippy side of his personality sometimes. Love this show!

14. Venessa says:

Well, it wont be as easy as drinking nicks blood and juliette is cured. As the hunk was saying, everything has side effects and her being potentially pregnant, means she already has his blood in her, so it wont work…muhahahahaha!

15. when are you coming back on in Britan

16. Pat Brown says:

I think SNOW is perfect, silly but perfect!! I thought Juliette would get pregnant but I was surprised that she got the side affects of becoming a Hexenbiest. I thought the baby would be one or have some powers like Adaline’s baby does.

17. Pat Brown says:

Also i love this show and really hope Trouble comes back really soon. I’m glad Wu is finally going to be in the loop.

18. Pat says:

Since Juliette has a Hexenbiest thing going, it would be fun if she started seeing the Wesen like Nick can. I also hope that the story of Trubel and Josh will continue – if they can follow Adalind in Vienna, they can follow Trubel in PA.

• bigdave says:

I’m wondering whether or not this Hexenbiest thing with Juliette will be just a passing thing or not . . . maybe something Rosalee can mix up some sort of concoction to undo the damage. But, like you said, it could add a fairly cool twist to the story if she retains those powers. Hexenbiests are pretty wicked, after all.

Sgt. Wu will also be a twist I’d like to see the writers get remedied pretty quick. That has gone on way too long. Surely by now they’d have locked the guy away for good, don’t you think?

Love this show. It seems to be maintaining a pretty good viewer rating, too. Hoping NBC will keep it going.

19. Misty Reese says:

I did love this episode, been waiting for Wu to be a real part of the team pretty much since hank found out. I know it was probably just a throw away line, but is their a possibility of Truble getting a spin-off? That would be Awesome! From her first episode on she’s been my favorite character and I absolutely think the character is strong enough to carry her own show. That never even occurred to me, but now that its been brought up it needs to happen!

20. Robin Ward says:

The prospect of Trubel getting a spin off show is such good news, I can’t wait to see her again. She is just brilliant as an actress and as a Grimm. Can we get a campaign going to get her new show going in the 2015?

• Pat says:

More Grimm would be great! Fans among my family and friends would love it. We really enjoy how quirky, but not silly, the show is. Great acting, great sets – something different for once! Good vs. evil without all the political ideology you find in shows today. I hope they don’t lose that.

• bigdave says:

I really believe even as great as all the actors are on the show that it is Nick, Monroe and Hank and their interactions that really make it work. Also, without the guy who plays Monroe, I really can’t say for sure the dynamic that makes the show so enjoyable would be there. . . . . I really do hope they get Trubel back in the action again. She is a great actress, and I think we all agree Nick’s mom being such a kick-butt Grimm is very cool. The first two shows of Season 2 along with her appearance in Season 3 bringing Adelind back from Europe are my favorite episodes.

• syscrash53 says:

Shows do spin-off all the time. This time do something different. Make it a spin-off but only with intentions for it to have a short run. Use it to dig deeper in Trubels past, the keys, Royals, and any of the other subjects that would just bog down the Main show.

• syscrash53 says:

They did that on Buffy / Angel to explain the return of Faith. Even though it was only a couple of episodes, they use scenes from these episode in Buffy promos

21. I am really looking forward to seeing some more outstanding acting from Silas Weir Mitchell in the next episode. I absolutely love Monroe, and he and Rosalee are such an adorable couple.

Adalind needs to get her baby back. Nick’s mom is no longer on my Christmas card list until she returns that baby to her mommy, where she belongs!

• syscrash53 says:

Returning Diana to Adalind not a god idea. The whole thing started because she sold her baby to get her powers back. The baby is in high demand, Adalind is not even close to having what it takes to protect her. But even if she could protect Diana. SHE SOLD HER BABY. For that reason alone don’t give her back. You can make the argument she never intended on completing the deal. She was planing a double cross all along. She still put Diana on the auction block.

• Nick’s mom is not the ideal person to have Diana. She gave up her own child because she thought it was too dangerous to keep him around, but now she thinks Diana will be safe with her? That makes no sense. Diana should be with her parents. Together, they DO have what it takes to keep her safe. Plus, they have a Grimm in the neighborhood! Also, that baby can obviously take care of herself. She is one powerful Hexenbiest!

• syscrash53 says:

Adalind showed how bad her priorities and judgement skills are when she was trying to escape the castle. Example when instructed to ignore everything an get to the other door. Knowing it was not real she still was unable to complete the task. See is to easy to manipulate. Sean is to high profile and would be under constant attack. Plus I could not see Sean doing well on the run. other then Kelly, Sean’s mom is the only other character that could take care of Diana. I for the life of me don’t see why they did not introduce Elizabeth earlier, so she could have been the one to take care of Diana. Do the writers have something up their sleeve. Possible mom on mom fight.

• Sarah says:

Anybody else getting the vibe that Trubel could be Nick’s mom’s daughter (aka Nick’s 1/2 sis)?

• Sandymoschetti@hotmail.com says:

Wow that would be something if trouble was Nick’s sister. What a story that would make. I really miss her. She made the show funny at times.

22. Terri Tabor says:

Why does the captain ,Sean Ranard, wear a wedding band?

• D.LaRocque says:

I think he wants his fan base to not dream about him so he won’t have to put up with stalkers. I like to think he secretly has a very jealous wife hidden somewhere in Europe.

23. Verle Luthy says:

I got quite used to Truble Love her,. Bring her back real soon. The spinoff idea sounds great.

• Sandymoschetti@hotmail.com says:

I love this show and all the characters. I really like trouble. She has just fit in so great. And I do like the new guy she went off to help. Love love this show.

24. Lily says:

What will happen between Nick and juliet when Nick finds out about her morfing into a hexinbeast?

25. Sandy Moschetti Young says:

So glad trouble is back. Love this show, my favorite. Is this show filmed in Portland or LA? I read in the newspaper that some fans were running around town trying to see the stars. It would be great to have it filmed in Portland instead of LA. The smog there is horrible. I don’t see how anyone would want to live there. I’m from the bay area and never wanted to live in LA.