Arrow/The Flash Crossover: Barry-Oliver Tension, Life-or-Death Danger and... a Shirtless Felicity?

Arrow The Flash Crossover Spoilers

The CW’s first major crossover between Arrow and The Flash has it all: epic fight sequences, big secrets, not one but two worthy villains and Felicity Smoak in a PG-13 situation.

Yes, we’ll explain the 911-level emergency plaguing everyone’s favorite IT girl in just a moment. But first, the cast and executive producers preview the strange and delightful interactions between the shows’ crimefighting teams, the dangerous enemy putting someone’s beloved in jeopardy and the worst-named villain ever.

Oh, and star Stephen Amell and the creators also weigh in on a not-so-little Arrow surprise that happens on The Flash (airing Tuesday at 8/7c).

TEAM SPIRIT | The Flash and Arrow camps helping each other out – and at times, conflicting over their differing tactics – makes way for some unexpected exchanges. “I have a really interesting interaction with Dr. Wells,” Amell teases. “And it’s not so much interesting for what we talk about. It’s more interesting for what I take away from it.” Even “Felicity’s Arrow The Flash Crossover Spoilershairs stick up a little bit” during a scene with the mysterious scientist, Emily Bett Rickards says. “But it’s taken away so quickly by another urgent matter that it almost gets pushed under the rug.”

On the other end of the spectrum, there are plenty of laughs courtesy of deadpan reactions from Diggle when he meets The Flash. “When Barry arrives for the first time in his suit, and Diggle sees that, honestly, it’s just like my favorite moment in both episodes,” Grant Gustin says. His co-star Carlos Valdes also singles out his scenes with David Ramsey and Colton Haynes as being among his standouts – for their inability to keep a straight face. But who can blame him when there’s so much for Cisco to get excited about upon meeting Team Arrow and then seeing the lair? “He spends so much time geeking out about Barry being a part of his life and becoming The Flash and getting to be a part of Team Flash,” Valdes shares. “And now you’re adding another component to the mix, which is, ‘Now we get to work with Arrow?!’ He might explode. He might spontaneously combust.” And does he have a signature Cisco reaction when he finds out Oliver is the masked vigilante? “Yes, he does. I’m not going to give that away,” Valdes replies with a laugh.

Arrow The Flash Crossover SpoilersMeanwhile, Caitlin is, at least initially, less welcoming of Oliver & Co. “She’s a little skeptical at first, that first moment where there’s so many people at S.T.A.R. Labs,” Danielle Panabaker describes. “Caitlin’s worked very hard to protect Barry and make sure nothing happens to him… That’s definitely a challenge for her. She’s skeptical, but happy.”

BAD GUY #1 | “What I liked is we picked villains that reflect the tone and sensibility of both shows and then used those villains to put our heroes through their paces,” executive producer Marc Guggenheim shares. The action kicks off in Central City with The Rainbow Raider (played by Paul Anthony), “which is actually one of the worst names of a comic book villain ever,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says with a laugh. “Usually, Cisco coins the names for the bad guys, and this episode, it’s actually Caitlin, because somebody who’s not quite so nerd-cool would come up with a silly name like that.” But don’t let the moniker fool you – The Rainbow Raider is a worthy foe who “has the ability to engender anger and hatred in somebody.” And thanks to his special powers, he manages to turn The Flash against the Arrow, leading to an huge blowout fight. However, “the tension doesn’t really carry over” into Wednesday night’s Arrow installment (8/7c on The CW), Gustin reveals.

The bad vibes could be revisited “down the road,” he speculates, “because some things are said that were clearly real things. For now – guys kind of move past stuff like that. But who knows?”

Arrow The Flash Crossover SpoilersBAD GUY #2 | The second half of the spectacle features Boomerang (Spartacus’ Nick Tarabay), a well-known foe of the speedster. “It makes a lot of sense because he’s not a metahuman character even though he fights The Flash,” Guggenheim says. “Having one of the Flash’s only non-metahuman villains appear on Arrow first, it’s pretty cool.” But some of the Starling City crew might disagree, given the character’s troubled history with a certain loved one. “He’s a former member of the Suicide Squad who’s out for revenge,” Kreisberg explains. “He’s targeting Dig’s [ex-wife] Lyla, so it’s up to The Flash and Arrow to keep her safe.” Adds Amell: “Conveniently, [Boomerang] sets up a scenario that if it was just Flash or if it was just Arrow, we couldn’t solve it. But the fact that we are this big team together gives us an opportunity to hopefully thwart [him].” That’s good news for Diggle, who’s not handling the life-threatening situation well and “may end up having to depend on Flash a lot quicker than he thought,” David Ramsey says.

WHAT THE SHIRT? | If you saw a foreign promo for the crossover online, you may have spotted Felicity with Barry in S.T.A.R. Labs — and missing something very crucial: her blouse! “Yes, there is an emergency and I have to take my shirt off,” Rickards explains, noting there’s a moment where her quippy character is put in genuine danger.

A QUEEN SECRET | Much has been said about the big Arrow moment that will be revealed in the Flash hour of the crossover. But since viewers will be privy to the information before Oliver himself, the fallout will have to wait for another day. “Obviously, the ripples will really hit when Oliver learns what the audience learns,” Guggenheim explains, while Amell assures, “It’s not the type of thing that we’re going to tease and then not deliver on.”

Excited about the Flash/Arrow crossover? Which character interactions are you most excited about? Sound off below and check out a brand new trailer for the event, plus a sneak peek of Captain Cold and Heat Wave!

1. Netty says:

The Flash or Arrow…I cant choose..leaning slightly more towards the new kid on the block maybe (The Flash). Love them both though.

2. Kate says:

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, I think I’ve guessed the big secret. And it means an introduction of at least a reoccurring character on the Flash. I believe we meet, in the present, Sandra Hawke and, if nothing else, she puts up a picture on her desk (I’m imagining her either a) working in the police station or b) working at a news outlet where Iris gets an internship) of a certain say ten year old boy who has far too steely a stare for a kid his age. And those of us who watched Arrow’s episode where they killed his mother (I think) will know who that kid is and only know her name if you read the comics or saw interviews afterward because Moira never said the girl’s name.

• Anne says:

I’m thinking it’s definitely something along those lines. That’s the only reveal I could think of that would be as earth-shattering as the EPs are making it out to be.

• Shelley says:

Especially, since Oliver doesn’t know about it yet. The reveal that is. I think who all sees this happen, the Flash team and/or Arrow team won’t understand its significance. Wow, if this IS what happens it’s gonna be good. Now, how can Oliver be so closed minded after he finds out? You know what I mean? Love these shows. The Flash is more easy going while The Arrow without Felićity and Diggle can be rather dry and serious. They compliment each other.

• Mel says:

Yep I think so too. Can’t wait to see how Oliver reacts to having a son.

3. Joey Padron says:

Great scoop about crossover episodes. Can’t wait to watch the episodes tomorrow night & Wednesday night!

4. John NYC says:

Taking her shirt off? Can the salmon ladder be far behind? lol

5. Luis says:

Shirtless Felicity? I nearly spit taked my soda!

6. GildedRose says:

Looking forward to this crossover a lot. Mostly it just sounds like fun, but I’m craving some good Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity “team Arrow” action above everything, so a good double-dose of this is just what I needed.

7. kath says:

It looks so good.

I’m looking forward to something lighter with Team Arrow. It’s been so depressing this season.

8. SamiJ says:

Hmm, seems that Barry is getting a little bit cocky there. He forgot how scared he was last week without his powers. Oliver doesn’t need super powers to catch the bad guys. #TeamArrow all the way.

9. Briggs says:

I’m interested to see the interactions between Wells and Oliver and Felicity. I mean, if he’s really from the future, or just knows it, anything he has to say to either of them is bound to be intriguing.
    I want to know what *viewer* has been able to keep a straight face when Cisco opens his mouth. Just because he’s that adorable. Oh, and Oliver dealing with another fanboy is going to be fun to watch. Did he learn anything last time?
    All eyes on Caitlin. I can’t really blame her. I mean, S.T.A.R Labs is like a second home, for her. Not wanting them in initially makes perfect sense.
    Boomerang sounds fun. Can’t wait to see what happens, there.
    And once again, Oliver may walk in on Felicity in a compromising position. Poor Felicity, she may actually notice this time.
    Ooo, Oliver’s child. I give it to the end of the season before he finds out. It’s much too big to keep under wraps for long, it looks like.
    Is it Tuesday yet!?!

10. Fosho says:

This “big reveal” has been teased, spoiled and theorized so much that if it is about Oliver’s kid or baby momma, I’m gonna kind of be disappointed. I would prefer it to be something else now because I’ve been hearing about it for so long that if that’s what it is I won’t even care. BOOM -Oliver’s kid revelation!!! ME- I know, next!

• Briggs says:

Given that it’s the only thing I can think of that we know but Oliver doesn’t that’s connected to Central City, I’d say we watch how it’s executed, then pass judgement. It’s not like Oliver even knows what’s up when it happens. Chances are, he’ll still be clueless for a while.

• redjane12 says:

I have no insider scoop but for maximum dramatic impact the baby secret should come at a time when Oliver is trying out some type of relationship with say Felicity or another woman? You know as in the past coming back to kick your ass and remind you what an ass you used to be?

I am expecting something more related to superhero mythology or Starling city…

But I may be TOTALLY wrong…

11. Mark says:

So can not wait! Really enjoy both of these shows.

12. lizo says:

I AM JUST SO EXCITED!!!! I want more crossovers between these shows. MORE I SAY!!

13. Jess says:

Can’t wait for tonight. This is so going to be sooooo good.

14. brenna says:

I can’t wait for these episodes. They look to be so much fun in every way!!

15. Ninoska says:

I hope the result of this crossover will be as good as they had promised. Cause they been talking about it for weeks I hope it succeeds otherwise what a big turn off it will be

16. wendy says:

I am not undestanding why Sarah Lance is all of a sudden some weak dame who can’t fight. In season 1 and 2 she pretty much kicked some butt when they broke into her apartment and in other episodes. She credited her cop father with teaching her to fight, but all of a sudden they made her a weak girl, beat up by some guy, not able to even LAND a punch…now taking boxing. WHY THE CHANGE? Anyone watching the first two seasons saw a much stronger and capable Sarah BEFORE her sisters death, so that shouldnt have changed her to an incompetent weak ling.

• kath says:

Sara Lance was indeed an awesome fighter. But she was killed by plot contrivance so her sister could take her place.

You’re thinking of Laurel Lance. While she did take self-defense classes because of her cop father and she does know how to use a gun, in season 1 the only guy she did take down was a rich nightclub owner who had his back to her and she shot the guy breaking in to her apartment. In season 2 premier she took down a bad guy only to immediately be held up herself by the next one.
      She had lf-defense classes but they’re not enough to make you the kind of fighter Sara was. She’d never had any boxing or martial arts training so showing her not being a fighter is consistent with her training. Sara probably had the same self-defense classes but it took 5 years training with the LoA to turn her into the fighter she was.