Sleepy Hollow Recap: Feint of Heart

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Recap

God may have given His Witness Grace Abigail Mills many gifts, but the ability to BS isn’t one of ’em.

So in this week’s Sleepy Hollow, when Abbie’s frustration with Katrina mounts by the second, you can see every single fiber in Lt. Mills’ body ache with the desire to strangle Ichabod’s witchy wife.

Abbie’s urge is easy to understand, particularly when the redhead makes a startling move near the end of the hour. Still, that tricky Katrina, ever the victim enchantress, proves herself a very useful rookie member of Team WTF throughout the episode — so it’s hard to be mad at her for taking action that just might, as Ichabod notes, turn the tide in the ongoing battle against evil.

(For the record, I still don’t trust Mrs. Crane to do what needs to be done. So write that down in George Washington’s Bible or Benjamin Franklin’s sketchbook or wherever you’ll be able to find it when we’re all pleading for mercy in front of Moloch. P.S. — That day looks like it may come sooner rather than later, no?)

Read on as we review what happens in “Heartless.”

RELATED Sleepy Hollow Sheriff Sakina Jaffrey on When — or if — Reyes Will Learn What’s Up: ‘I Want to Go to That Party!’

DEAD SEXY | Let’s get the Nasty of the Week out of the way up front: She’s a succubus, or a demon who seduces the lovelorn and then feasts on their life forces, killing them in the process. Henry summons her and has her troll the thriving Sleepy Hollow club scene (?), among other places, for yummy human essences. By the second time we’ve seen her in action, the succubus’ game plan is clear: She reads a person’s deepest longings and then transforms herself into a vision of their desire.Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Recap

So when a nerdy (read: he wears glasses) guy is too chicken to approach the nerdy (read: she also wears glasses) girl for whom he longs, the sexy succubus makes herself look like the Brooklyn hipster of his dreams. Then they go to his car, where she transforms into a horned beast and gives him a decidedly unhappy ending. And then ol’ Sucky runs back to Henry, where she vomits the bespectacled sad sack’s soul (or whatever) into the same jar of energy that Henry filled at the end of the previous episode. And there’s something in there, but at this point, it’s not clear exactly what.

REALITY SETS IN | Over at Corbin’s cabin, Ichabod and Katrina have a a very flowery disagreement about love… which, as it turns out, is sparked by conflicting views of the Bachelor-like reality show they’re watching while cuddled up on his bed. (Heh.) Katrina thinks the romance in the series is real, while her husband calls it “shameless groundling kabuki.” Though they’re happy to be back together, things are not 100 percent OK between Mr. and Mrs. Crane. As they chat about the past few weeks, he admits that “it pained me to think you were not who I knew,” and notes that secrecy — which she employed to great benefit as a spy and a witch — “is a hard habit to break.” (Side note: I realize, while Ichabod and Katrina talk, that one reason Ichabod and Abbie are so watchable is because she is a tart squeeze of lemon to the meringues with which he embellishes his speech. It’s not Katrina’s fault, but she’s just as ornate as her fancy husband. More than one meringue at a time, and my teeth start to itch.)

They’re interrupted by Abbie busting into the place — and when Ichabod remarks that his partner isn’t interrupting anything, I’d like to you take note of Katrina’s “Oh, really?” face — with information that she’s put a trace on Henry’s Internet usage. Soon, the Witnesses are called to geeky guy’s murder scene, where Crane makes it clear he hasn’t given up faith in Henry. After all, he notes, faith can be rewarded: Katrina was returned to him against all odds, and “So were you.” Aww.

THE WITCH PITCHES IN | Katrina starts being helpful back at the archives, when she looks at the corpse’s wound pattern and realizes something leeched out his life force. But soon after, the witch gets the vapors and has to sit down when she has a vision of Henry standing over a cradle at Fredericks Manor. So Ichabod turns down Chinese take-out in order to escort his (again) ailing wife home.

Abbie eats a sad personal pizza (even the box seems to mock her!) and then consults Hawley… who assumes their meet-up is a date. He says he knows nothing about the succubus in town and then soothes the sting of yet another Abbie turn-down by sliding up to some comely ladies at the end of the bar. The move registers enough with Mills that she mentions Hawley’s desire to “get lucky” to Crane later. Off his puzzled look, she tries to explain what she means, but he quickly infers. “Ah, macking. He was macking on a lady,” Ichabod says, his enunciation so sharp that I’m pretty sure I’ll have the “ck” ringing in my ears for a week.

HEARTSICK HAWLEY | With Katrina’s help, the Witnesses track the succubus to the harbor… wait, that’s where Hawley lives! Yep, the delectable demon Abbie’d herself up and went after the bounty hunter soon after Mills left the bar, and Crane and Mills arrive just in time to save him from turning into nothing more than a pile of ash in an unbuttoned henley. Ol’ Sucky gets away, though.

Ichabod informs Hawley that the creature is drawn to those who hold desire in their hearts. I can’t decide who does a better job of communicating volumes without words here: Matt Barr, as Hawley gazes upon Abbie; or Tom Mison, as Ichabod notices Hawley’s unspoken longing and then puts together that the swaggerific mercenary is pining for his partner. Lovely work all the way around.

TWO WOMEN ENTER… | Crane trips over himself giving Abbie his blessing to pursue something romantic with Hawley, but she thinks he’s insane. Plus, Mills and Crane soon realize they have a much bigger problem than originally thought: Thanks to Katrina’s increasingly specific visions, they learn that the spell that ripped Fetus Moloch out of Mrs. Crane’s babymaker didn’t destroy the demon or send him back to Purgatory — it just shunted his energy somewhere Henry could trap it. So now the Horseman of War is growing his master in a jar until he’s ready to be embodied again, Voldemort-style.

Even better: This news leads to Abbie and Katrina throwing down about who’s a better soldier in the war against evil, and damn if it doesn’t feel good to watch them both finally say what they’ve been thinking since the season premiere. The situation gets so heated that Ichabod literally has to stand between his ladies and beseech them to get along and… Sorry, I zoned out, thinking about who’d win in a witch-vs-Witness brawl. Hey, why don’t we vote?

THERE IS NO ‘I CAN’T STAND YOU’ IN ‘TEAM’ | Armed with the knowledge that the succubus can’t be killed until her heart — which Henry is keeping in a cemetery in town — is destroyed, Abbie and Katrina go to destroy the organ while Hawley and Ichabod go to “Club Twerk” to find her. (And if you want to know some silly stuff about this scene, including who the heck that blink-and-you-miss-her brunette is at the end of the bar, check out my behind-the-scenes post about tonight’s episode.)sleepyhollow_s2ep8_dw

Ich eventually corners the demon in a storage room, but she makes herself Katrina-esque and it stops him long enough for her to start sucking his lifeforce. (Not a double entendre.) Hawley saves him right as the women are successful in their mission, and a few bullets put an end to the succubus. All that’s left is for Abbie to pretend she doesn’t notice what a young buck Hawley is as she’s helping bandage him up, right? (Side note: You totally should’ve given Ichabod your firearm, Hawley, considering you had two massive guns of your own.)

THE EVIL STORK DOES A FLYOVER | Actually, there are one or two pieces of housekeeping to deal with: 1) Katrina has returned to Abraham in an effort to get close enough to Moloch to kill him, and 2) She thinks it’s a really good idea to make Abbie tell Ichabod about this change of plan. Ichabod takes it much better than I expect him to. Maybe that yoga is doing more than firming Crane’s double-jug, because he’s very zen as he explains to Abbie that he must trust his wife.

That said, Ich doesn’t know that at that very moment, an Abraham-chaperoned Katrina is approaching the cradle Henry is standing near, and that inside lies not a disgusting, black baby demon but a sweet human infant. (Perception spell, anyone?) And that look of joy on Mrs. Crane’s face? Troubling, in the extreme.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Hit the comments and tell us!

1. Joey says:

Offtopic but, no Gotham recap from Matt tonight?

2. Jimmy says:

Considering her necklace was glowing I would suspect the same magic that allows her to see Abraham’s head also makes her see a cuddly baby. Good episode overall. I may be in the minority but I’m rooting for Ichabod and Katrina to be be permanently reunited.

• Angela says:

Yeah, it’s definitely no coincidence that necklace glowed when it did. I’m hoping that it’ll prove beneficial to her as time goes on, with what it might allow her to see. But given perception spells, who knows?
      I adore Ichabod and Abbie, but I love Ichabod and Katrina, too, so if they’re permanently reunited as a result of all of this, and can work out their issues and be happy, then I say hooray :).

• herman1959 says:

Yup, it was definitely the necklace that allowed Katrina to see the baby. That was the reason Henry made a point of asking if she was wearing it as she approached.

• Skittles&Bits says:

I also hope Ichabod/Katrina work out. Ichabod/Katrina give me sibling vibes; I adore their relationship but it doesn’t strike me as romantic. I’m hoping for a happy ending for the Crane family. That snot nosed bugger Henry included…sorta :)

3. Angela says:

I was loving all the moments between Abbie and Katrina tonight, both tense and not-so-tense. I’m glad they finally got a chance to hash out some of their issues with each other, and I like that Katrina took the initiative to apologize later as well. I also like that Abbie, while clearly disagreeing with Katrina, at least does understand on some level where she’s coming from. Same with the end, and Katrina seeming to come a little more to the center on her stance regarding Henry-I think Abbie’s words are having an effect on her, which is great. I saw that smile on her face at the end as a very uncertain one, as though she was wary about what she was really seeing, and realizing just how far Henry is willing to go.

Personally, I wish she’d stayed with Ichabod and Abbie, ’cause I really enjoyed seeing all of them work together, and I’m all for Abbie and Katrina becoming friendly allies. But if she can finally start using her own skills again, like she did tonight, and she can manage to really mess with Abraham’s mind (and possibly Henry’s), then fine. Bring it. I still think things won’t work out quite the way Katrina hopes, but I’m interested to see where it all goes.

Also liked Ichabod and Hawley bonding a bit as well. Ichabod’s concern about Hawley’s intentions with Abbie were sweet, as was his and Abbie’s talk in the car. But still, if Hawley and Ichabod can form a grudging respect and interaction with each other, at least, I’m all for it. Especially if it means Hawley can do things like take Crane to a bar. That was fun :D.
    Good episode tonight. Next week looks amazing-I’m excited for that one.

4. Gem says:

I’m sorry but more and more I see why I like Ichabbie than IchKat. Don’t see the chemistry and her English drones out his. It’s like I’m not watching but listening to paint dry. These two interacting briefly yes. So happy when she said she was going back to Abraham. I’m not feeling Abbie and Hawley either – I understand what the producers are trying to do but cut it the hell out! I get it that you don’t want Ichabbie together but don’t overstress the romance angle; let’s stick to fighting and beating the dar kside.

• Ian says:

I hate that i liked his stupid hot body at the end there, but i still cant get behind him and Abbie. I understand its not his fault he banged Jenny before he ever even knew Abbie, but its still gross.
      I DO, however, really want Abbie to have a love of her life of her own. It just isnt fair that Ichabod had Katrina and Abbie has no one. They were definitely stressing that point tonight too with the third wheel dynamic scenes they played. She deserves love. And not anyone her sister’s had sex with.

• the girl says:

I completely agree with you re: Hawley. I will be really disappointed if Abbie hooks up with him. I would love for Abbie to have a life or at least to make an effort at a life but I am happy waiting until we find someone else, and NOT Hawley.

• herman1959 says:

“It’s like I’m not watching but listening to paint dry.” – COLD!

5. Babybop says:

All I could think at the end of the episode was that this is not going to work out as planned. Katrina looked happy when she saw that baby… and I have a feeling she’ll be extremely protective of it even though it’s a demon – though it’s not necessarily her fault considering it doesn’t look like a demon to her. (And on a side note: Lookin’ GOOD, Hawley…)

6. Kae says:

Isn’t Hawley sleeping with Abbie sister?

7. tv stalker says:

Team WTF?! what is this dastardly acronym? I must know is it team witnesses or literally WTF?

8. lisbeth says:

I’m 98% certain Katrina’s gonna die by the end of the season. They really seem like they’re setting her up to martyr herself for either of her demon children or for Ichabod.

9. daisy says:

You skipped the part where Abbie performed magic!! Is she a witch? Or does she have Witness powers? This would be the second or third time this season she’s done an incantation and had it work.

10. tom says:

Missed Jenny and Irving again this week.

• gdv says:

YES! Please bring them back. The dynamic between all the characters was great in S1, so why are they hiding Jenny and Irving in the background? Hawley and Katrina just don’t interest me all that much.

11. Everything that I loved about these characters in the first season has been weared down by spreading the show’s focus too thin.

12. onelastemperor says:

I hate Abbie and I adore Katrina…….and I, apparently, the only one)

• Lady T says:

yes, you are

• F.G. says:

I like both women and I hope we get to see more of them working together in the future.

• MJ says:

I love Katrina. I hope Ichabod and Katrina can be together.

• Ella D. says:

I’m really curious as to why anyone would love Katrina and HATE Abbie for any other reason than being a huge racist.

• Rebecca says:

I’m curious. Why?

• onelastemperor says:

Well, she’s beautiful and smart, she’s a witch and a redhead, she’s deceptive and manipulative…….and her accent…….her background with Abraham, she’s a potential villian and she’s dangerous, and I love dangerous women, I already see it, she is lured to the dark side by Henry or Abe and she become jealous with Abbie and Crane’s bond, and she kills her and become the Horseman of Famine…….awesome season 2 ending…….and Abbie’s sister can replace her as a witness)
        And as for, why I hate Abbie, it’s just she’s kinda lame and dull, and I most certainly don’t appreciate her involving with Cranes family business, talking about killing Jeremy, she turning Ichabon on his own wife, make him question her decisions, she just want a piece of that fine brit ass for herself!

• Chanelle says:

Interesting. I’m a black woman and I have a “fine Brit ass” for myself in real life! Sounds like you are the one with a certain problem. Interracial relationships occur in real life sorry you can’t do anything about that.

• Chanelle says:

What I believe people hate is that the English can be open-minded with women like me.

• Annette says:

I think there are certain people not used to seeing shows where black women are leading ladies like this one, scandal, and how to get away with murder. These last few years are proving that TV WRITERS even more than film writers are willing to take risks and certain people are not having it. TOO BAD! I’m Russian btw.

• onelastemperor says:

Actually I love Viola Davis on HTGAWM, but that has nothing to do with her race, it’s because she’s killing it in that role, and she is awesome…….and Abbie is not……I just don’t like her……I’m not racist, Penny Johnson Jerald on Castle and 24, Gina Torres on Herc/Xenaverse and Firefly, Cynthia Addai-Robinson on Arrow and Spartacus – I loved them……all thought I kinda hated Naevia at first but that was characterwise and had nothing to do with her skin color of her skin…..
        I’m Russian too)

• Angela says:

We’re agreed on Viola, but you and I are clearly going to be in vast disagreement about Abbie, then, yeah, ’cause I think Nicole’s doing an awesome job playing Abbie. I love her.
          I personally just find it weird that it always seems to be a “one or the other” thing with either woman amongst the fans-I must be in some sort of minority of viewers who likes BOTH Abbie and Katrina. They each present totally different types of personalities and attitudes, and the contrast between them, their individual views of the worlds they inhabit, as well as how they each relate to Ichabod, is fun for me to watch. And I really loved seeing Abbie and Katrina interact this week, and I want more scenes like that, because I think they could make for a good team in their own right.

13. Coal says:

Let’s see now, there is the Crane/Katrina/Abraham love triangle, there is the potential Crane/Katrina/Abbie, another potential one is the Crane/Hawley/Abbie let’s not forget the most dread of all Abbie/Jenny/Hawley. Good griefs, its no surprise that Henry is the only actually getting things done.

• Abby says:

LOL. For reals. I am sick unto death of Hawley, especially since it comes at the expense of Jenny and Irving. I like Abbie taking witching lessons from Katrina. They’re a formidable duo when they put their differences aside.

• Coal says:

I’m in total agreement with you, for me Jenny was the breakout character of last season and it was wonderful getting Irving into the fold towards the end of last season. Now even a previously headless horseman is getting more screen time than them.

14. Tina says:

Always been a Katrina naysayer. Did not care for her character up until last night’s episode. I must say, it was much better than last week’s sloppy mess of an episode. It was focused. The pace was slower and it took time to explore the character’s personality and relationships. Another monster of the week episode but it was better tied into this whole mytharc. We get to see Ichabod’s growing personality, as well as his feelings towards his wife. Things will never be the same for any of them, as they stated. The fact that they verbally acknowledged this set a tone for the series going forward, in my opinion. Back to Katrina – while I still do not trust her, I opened myself up to see things from her perspective. She is a spy. A soldier. She has a mission and she seems to be doing whatever it takes to achieve it. EXCEPT – she is letting her personal feelings and emotions drive her, which is not good. This is the same characterization that comes with all villains. They start off good, but they try to do what THEY feel is best, which ultimately leads to bad things happening, and in the end, turns them into villains. And I have a feeling that’s where her character will end up – as a major villain aligned with the horseman. Things I didn’t care for in this episode, again, was the lack of Jenny and Irving. I hope they do a better job at bringing the main cast into the story from now on. That’s been a huge disappointment for me. Also, I still do not care for Nick Hawley. This is a useless character, in my opinion. He serves no purpose other than to drive the story AWAY from the main cast of characters and I wish they would eliminate him as soon as possible.

15. DM says:

It would be better if comment just referenced “disgusting, baby demon” but otherwise a good recap. Thanks.

16. Liza says:

Please keep Hawley around!!! And not just because he is smokin’ hot (and thanks for that shirtless scene, btw)!! And not necessarily as a potential love interest for Abbie. But I am really into the possibility of a bromance between him and Ichabod. They are a fun duo to watch!!!!

17. I like that Ichabod is jealous of Hawley but I think Abbie has her eye on the ball. As soon as Abbie & Crane become sexually involved the Show is Over – Remember Moonlighting? I hope that doesn’t happen. I believe a Man and Woman can be true Best Friends without sex being involved.