Ratings: ABC Dramas Slip (But By How Much?), Mulaney and CSI Tick Up

Once Upon a Time Ratings

ABC’s Sunday dramas all suffered slippage this week, though by exactly how much remains to be seen.

But as it stands now — pending Nielsen’s release of “restated” (AKA corrected) Week 2 demo numbers — Once Upon a Time (7.7 mil/2.6) is down 16 and 21 percent, Resurrection (5.5 mil/1.4) fell 18 and 30 percent (opposite The Walking Dead‘s season opener) and Revenge (4.6 mil/1.2) slipped 13 and 14 percent.

*Nielsen thus far has only released ABC’s adjusted, glitch-free demo numbers for Premiere Week, adjusting Once down two tenths (to a 3.5) and Resurrection down one tenth (to 2.2).

RELATED Read Our Recaps for Once Upon a Time and Revenge

Over on CBS, Madam Secretary (11.5 mil/1.5) and The Good Wife (10.3 mil/1.3) each ticked down 5 percent and a tenth, while CSI (8.9 mil/1.4) grew 10 percent and a tenth.

RELATED The Good Wife Recap: Red, Red Wine… Stay Close to Me

Boosted by football, Fox’s The Simpsons (7.3 mil/3.3) surged 70 and 65 percent, while Brooklyn Nine-Nine (4.5 mil/2.1) rose 36 and 31 percent. Leading out of a Family Guy rerun, Mulaney (2.2 mil/1.1) ticked up a tenth from its premiere.

NBC Sunday Night Football (15.6 mil/6.0) is down 14 percent from last week’s fast nationals.

As always and forever, meaningful cable ratings (e.g. the Walking Dead premiere) will be reported much later and under separate cover.

1. AR says:

Do you know the numbers for Family Guy rerun? Comparing it to Mulaney’s numbers says a lot

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

3.4 mil/1.7

(Last week’s original did 3.6 mil/1.9)

• AR says:

Thanks! So does this mean FOX is better off with Family Guy reruns than original Mulaney episodes? Or People at FOX see that one tenth as an improvement for Mulaney?

• MCO says:

I don’t think it’s an improvement at all. Last week, the lead-in wasn’t as strong than this week, hence the 65% surge for The Simpson. Mulaney should’ve been up more than a tenth to be considered an improvement.
          Dare I say, the show numbers could even been considered worst than last week.

• Name That Tune says:

Fox is always better off with Family Guy, reruns or not. It’s attractive to a certain demo and does well on the streaming media. It’s one of their dependable performers.

2. Babybop says:

Yay for Brooklyn 99! The episode yesterday was hilarious.

3. TVSERIESADDICT says:

Like i said… Once upon a time is definitely renewed.. its the top drama of the night!
    Worried about Revenge though; pretty sure they’re going to cancel it, with david clarke being here i don’t see what they can come up with in another season.
    Once’s episode was very strong last night it’s sad to see it drop but i’m happy because it still slayed the ratings!

4. herman1959 says:

Obviously Resurrection took a hit due to Walking Dead’s premiere; too bad, because this week’s episode of Resurrection was the best ever. So much happened that it makes me laugh when I remember how some people complained the series started “slow”.

5. Rocky says:

That 1.3 demo rating for The Good Wife really hurts me, but hey Nielsen tells us adults between 18 to 49 prefer the likes of Once upon a time (not a criticism of the show) and plethora of reality shows e.g. ( The Bachelor) over TGW who are we to disagree.

• Boiler says:

If they would start listening to the likes of me whose age is over the demo The Good Wife would look much better. I like Madam Secretary also and these 2 shows had by far most viewers but lowest demos. Makes no sense to me. I also watch OUAT. As time goes on the smaller population decides what is on network TV while the growing population of folks over 50 get screwed

• Rocky says:

I’m a 27 year old male and I love The Good Wife and I’m also enjoying the Madam Secretary very much, I guess I’m an abnormality when it comes to the demo rating.

• herman1959 says:

I just happened to watch Madame Secretary last night (hadn’t planned on it). I did enjoy it, but I just don’t feel compelled to watch every week. Maybe that’s part of the attraction – you can enjoy one episode without keeping up with each week.

6. Catfish says:

Loved the CSI episode last night. It was one of their most thrilling ones.

7. Sarah says:

ABC killed Revenge the minute it was moved to sundays, last night’s episode was very good

8. N says:

Hope Revenge is ok!

9. rowan77 says:

I watched Mulaney and this was a much better episode than the pilot, but I think part of the problem – other than just that Mulaney is super-stiff, like worse than Whitney Cummings stiff – is the almost complete lack of movement. They stand and speak for a minute or two, then one person goes and sits, the others follow and they don’t move or conduct any bits of business. If you watch Seinfeld (another show with a stand-up/non-actor in the lead) they all are doing something. They help themselves to something in the fridge, they monkey around with his things – they move. Just because physical direction not specified in the script, that doesn’t mean that they should stand around and do nothing. As actors they need to work with the director (or with each other) and find something to do. They blocking is atrocious. Any chance they can get John Burrows on board? He’ll whip this into shape.

John Mulaney is one of my favorite stand-ups out today, but he really does need to work on his acting.

10. Jonathan Lighthill says:

Aren’t there just too many good dramas on Sunday night. I watch Good wife, Homeland, Walking Dead, Resurrection, Revenge. My wife loves Csi. Thank God we live in the UK and these shows air across the week. Shame OUAT was cancelled here.

11. Name That Tune says:

Very interesting. It seems that I am not the only one who stayed with Fox after watching Dallas beat Seattle yesterday. Went right into The Simpsons and forgot to turn the channel to OUAT, which used to be must-see TV.

That 20% drop in OUAT’S numbers is not a surprise.

12. Mary Kate says:

I want to like Mulaney, but I just can’t. The acting is robotic and it’s just not very funny. I was hoping for more!

13. It’s kinda weird to even do ratings stories anymore, given that the Nielsens have been doing it wrong for … most of 2014, apparently?

Are we supposed to just assume they’ve not done it in the past? Heh.

14. Lisa says:

Matt, when did Billy Petersen stop being an EP of CSI? I caught the credits at the end of this weeks ep and his name was not listed. Thanks!