Regina Frozen Out? Once Upon a Time Bosses Urge Fans to 'Wait and See'

Once Upon a Time Regina Season 4

This past Sunday on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, Emma, Hook and Charming were stymied by an ice wall conjured by Frozen‘s Queen Elsa — yet no problem-melting fireballs from Regina were to be had.

PHOTOS Once Upon a Time‘s Emma Nabs The Knave, Sadness for Regina

Rather, Storybrooke’s resident Evil Queen (played by Lana Parrilla) was holed up in her home, presumably plotting to track down the author of son Henry’s storybook and strong-arm her own happy ending, with Robin Hood. (Further, as revealed in a deleted scene, Madam Mayor outright shrugged off responsibility for tackling the town’s latest woes, instead putting Mary Margaret in charge.)

RELATED Once Upon a Time Season 4, Episode 2 Recap: Icebreaker

When we raised that very issue with Once creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis at the series’ recent premiere event, Horowitz was quick to correct, “‘The Frozen story’ is not the way we look at that. It’s ‘the Frozen characters coming into Once Upon a Time,’ and when they do, how it affects everybody.

“An important thing for fans to know is that while we are telling this arc with the Frozen characters, we are in no way leaving the arcs of characters like Regina aside,” he stressed. “We still want to explore them.”

RELATED Once Upon a Time Scoop on Rumbelle’s New Trouble

To that end, Kitsis enthused that including and beyond Robin Hood and the hoped-for storybook rewrite, “The plan we have for Regina this season is one of my favorites…. Although she is a part of the Frozen storyline [and] is affected by it, she also has a few arcs of her own that we’re introducing at the beginning of this season, so I think fans should wait and see what that is.”

(With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Angela says:

blah, blah blah, they always make excuses when they get called out for their awful writing. Regina will never change, she’s ALWAYS the victim and never has to own up to anything till backed into a corner

• kate says:

I agree. Is a shame her storyline is only about Robin Hood.

• Lisa says:

same here. crying over somebody she dated for 3 days while the interesting stuff are happening around Frozen

• Zelda says:

Congratulations on not understanding the complexity of the Regina character in the slightest. I shudder to think about what the character would look like if the authors were to listen to this type of comment. It’s days like this that I’m beyond glad that Horowitz and Kitsis stick to their own vision and understanding of characters like Regina and Rumple.

• Angela says:

I understand her completely, she’s written to whine and cry when things don’t go her way, and then get revenge even when SHE is in the wrong. She’s one note, there hasn’t been anything complex about her in at least 2 seasons

Enjoy Rumple, he’s been ruined too. The Belle & Rumple stuff is gagworthy as well

• Bianca says:

Do you even watch the show? Crying over someone she dated for 3 days? Her story is about SO much more than that. She saw this as her second chance, Regina had hope. It took how many years for her to even open up again to someone after Daniel? Look at the bigger picture here. She sees this as much more than “someone she dated for 3 days”.

• Moment says:

Absolutely spot on, Regina wants her happy ending.

• kate says:

Maybe you don’t watch the show, she started to “love” Robin Hood until she saw the tattoo on his wrist. At least her romantic storyline with Daniel was more credible.

• Bianca says:

Actually Kate, I watch multiple times. Regina was clearly interested in Robin prior to seeing the tattoo. Flirting. Interested. And actually, when she saw the tattoo, she ran FROM him again. It was only after Snow telling her to not hold anything back that she decided to open herself up and go for it and stop holding herself back to a happy ending.

• Moment says:

Personally I think the two characters had the spark together, she clearly loved that he was willing to look beyond her past and see the good inside her, and give her that chance. To some she’s the evil queen, to him she was Regina.

• Alex says:

I agree with you a 100% !

• Angela says:

I’m sick of them screwing over canon couples like Robin & Marian and Belle and Beast just to get their jollies. Regina doesn’t deserve a happy ending

• Shane says:

Canon couples? What? They’re not OUAT canon. They’re not just tracing over old stories. If you want to see those stories, go throw on a DVD. The show has a right to spin things around like redeeming the Evil Queen and…kind of Captain Hook. And showing Pan for a bad guy. I don’t really see why anyone would want them to just to blandly retell old stories.

And I presume you include Hook in “doesn’t deserve a happy ending” as well since you called out the other two villains. All three have murdered, maimed and done horrific things (and not taken as much credit as we might like) so by that standard, none should have it.

Or this show can continue to be one about redemption and hope.

• Bianca says:

But this has always been their take on these fairy tales? Never did it say “the couples that were together in this movie will absolutely be together on our show”. It’s new takes on the stories. And Marian didn’t even exist in some versions of Robin Hood, so…..it’s not like there’s only one version they “have” to go with.

It sounds like you’re really unhappy with the show. Maybe not watching is the best option if you are so sick of what you want not happening? Life’s too short to waste it watching stuff that you don’t enjoy!

• MS says:

Emma= Zelena=Tinkerbell=Anna Hook=Kristoff What I mean is on the outside they appear to be Hook and Emma and have their memories, but on the inside they are not. Remember how Bo Peeps staff couldn’t find Anna? That’s because she is not lost. She was sitting right there.Something happens when they go back in time and then come back. Change forms. I think it’s got something to do with their hearts. Go back to the finale. Re watch the portal scene. Hook is carrying Maid Marian when they go through the portal, yet when they land Emma and Hook are together. Robin Hood is the real Hook, Maid Marian the real Emma. Regina ends up with Hook. Emma with Baelfire who is still alive. It’s the wizard of oz. Walsh! Remember he asked Zelena to bring him something of Rumples? I know this sounds far fetched, but mark my words. I’m right.!!!!

• Shane says:

LOL. What???? Did you even bother to read what was said in that article or just copy and paste irrational character hatred? There was nothing in there that should have created the “always a victim” comment except just a weird desire from you to insert it into this. But pretty sure there’s no character on this show that has changed more from S1 to S4.

Also for the person down below who is saying that she’s whining about a guy she dated three years ago, you do the understand the nature of losing hope, right? The idea that when you finally believe again, believe you can be happy and then lose that happiness, it can be crushing. It has almost nothing to do with Robin and everything to do with how she’s fought to be a better person (which is the ACTUAL narrative as opposed to just HATE HATE HATE character because well who knows or cares). It’s all about believing that nothing she does will ever matter. Which you know, is an adult emotion.

Thanks, Matt, for the update – it’s good to know the Queen is as important to the show as she is to a massive part of this fan base. I wouldn’t dare speak for everything, but she is certainly my reason for watching and for my money, the most compelling story there is.

• Danyelle says:

WHAT does any of that to do with whether she is in Frozen story or not??

• Jeri says:

Yup. It was actually really refreshing to have an episode that had less Regina in it.

• nate says:

well someones a little bitch

• DRush76 says:

Why do people always bitch and moan about Regina failing to own up to anything, yet never complain about Rumpelstiltskin doing the same thing?

2. Fan says:

I hate Regina’s storyline so far. Meh.

3. Just give me the Knave. I’m eager to know what happened to some of the Wonderland characters.

4. Bianca says:

Awww, I hope so. Regina’s what keeps me tuning into this show. Love her, and Lana Parrilla is EPICLY talented. I am looking most forward to her story with Robin Hood and her story with Henry.

5. Lisa says:

she may be affected by it, but if her other arcs are the one with Henry and the one about Robin Hood…it means she’s not having scenes with Emma and it means I’ll keep not watching.

6. Taylor says:

Good. Def needs more Regina.

7. Lauren says:

Regina was the best character for 3 seasons and now not only they destroy a fairy tale epic as Robin Hood now an amazing Character as Regina. Well done Writers and Producers

• Dan the critic says:

Actually, Rumple was the best character. He should have won an Emmy for the first season. Since the Knave is coming will they bring Alice too? What happened to the Mad Hatter? Will they bring Ruby back since Intelligence was cancelled?

8. Jen says:

I hope this next episode will kick start her arcs, because Regina is not one to stay stuck inside all day. Totally understand her reaction for an episode or two, as he is her soulmate. Looking forward to her quest with Henry, and I’m still pulling for Outlaw Queen. Hope we will get to see Robin missing her as well. And I would love to see some Regina/Snow Queen scenes!

9. Zelda says:

I’m glad to hear that, but I wasn’t overly worried.
    I’m sure the Regina and Robin Hood story will pick up pace again, but it makes perfect sense that it’s moving slower right now since the characters are stuck in an impossible situation. Regina loves Robin, Robin loves Regina, but Marian is back and Robin feels bound by his code, and even if that were to change soon it would still take time for Regina to be able to allow herself to trust anew. She’s a woman deeply scarred by her past and never feeling good enough for anyone. It’ll take time, but I’m good with that as long as it takes time on screen and not off screen. Give me angst and awkwardness and slow growth, give the story the attention it deserves and everything’s fine with me.
    I’m also super excited for Regina’s story with Henry and the fairytales book. That’s probably the story I’m most excited on OUAT this half-season to be honest. It’s a matter that I wanted explored since season 1 and I’m so happy and excited that they made Regina one of the protagonists in it. There is so much room for personal growth for her in this. Bring it on, OUAT! :)

• Bianca says:

I agree! I am excited for Regina’s story this year, and I really can’t wait to see how much development we see with her again, her redemption arc has been one of my favorite parts of ouat.

• Kyle says:

Well said.

• kacerho says:

I’m sorry but Outlaw Queen is probably the worst story line I’ve seen on this show. Regina killed Marian in the past and wasn’t the least bit remorseful once she found out that she did it. In fact, she tried to figure out how she could kill her again by going back in time before Emma rescued her. What stopped her? Knowing that everyone would blame her if Marian showed up dead, and then realizing that with changing the book, she could pretty much wipe Marian out of the story altogether. I love Regina. She is one of the most complex villains on TV and Lana is wonderful at portraying her. But let’s not pretend who she is. How can a man be ‘ok’ with the fact that the woman who he loved so much that her death left him so despondent that only Roland’s existence saved him from possible suicide (his speech in 313) was killed by Regina? His child was left motherless by Regina. How can he as a man, as a father, not care? It doesn’t say much for him as a person or a father that he’s ok with the fact that he had to lose a wife and raise a child alone because Regina murdered her. That is no basis for a love story. How do you explain that later to Roland? He lost out on critical years with his mother because of Regina. It wasn’t a curse, it was murder, a murder that Regina has no remorse for. How do you explain ‘redemption’ for Regina if the only way she gets her ‘happy ending’ is because she murdered her competition? I want Regina to have a true happy ending with someone who knows who she was as the Evil Queen and totally accepts it, not tries to pretend she wasn’t as awful and cruel as she was. That’s not real love if you don’t accept and embrace all of who someone is.

• Heather says:

I disagree with you. What stopped her was watching her interaction with Marion in the Enchanted Forest, when Marion told her she was evil because she didn’t have love in her life, etc. Right after seeing that, Regina made the choice to save Marion’s life from the snow monster, despite the fact that everyone else was knocked out. No one would have known she was there or blamed her for Marion’s death if she had let him kill her. She is changing strategies by looking for the author of the book.

Regina is my favorite character, so I always miss her when she isn’t featured in episodes.

• Zelda says:

You’re misinterpreting Robin Hood’s approach to Regina’s past. He spelled it out again in the season premiere: He knows who she was. What she has done as the Evil Queen. He is aware of it. But he believes in the ability of people to change and he respects their honest attempts to grow, to become better, to redeem themselves in their own eyes and in the eyes of others, and he supports Regina trying to let everyone see that she has grown beyond the Evil Queen.

That the person who captured Maid Marian that day in the woods is the person she was. (Pay attention to her reaction when Sidney shows her that moment in the mirror. Lana Parrilla’s acting is subtle but fabulous as always, Regina’s disgusted with her past self.) Not the person she is now. The person that saved his son, the person that was willing to risk her life for the others (she left Snow a note because she did not believe herself that she would come back alive) that night they went through the secret passages to lower the Wicked Witch’s magic shield around the castle, the woman who fought with him and everyone else, side by side, against Zelena for a whole year in FTL and then again in Storybrooke. The woman who was left broken after realizing that the letter she had treasured all these years because she thought with Rumple at least someone considered her good enough was actually about Zelena. The woman who entrusted him with her heart, literally. The woman who loves Henry more than anything in the world and who broke Zelena’s curse with a true love kiss between them. I could go on and on with examples like this.

THAT’S what matters to Robin Hood. That Regina has changed and wants to change further, wants to become better. He sees her for who she is now, sees the woman behind the Evil Queen facade. And he explains that one of the reasons why he can do this is rooted in his own past. He used to be a different man; he has a dark past himself. But he turned his life around. He changed. He became better. And he recognizes the strength, the struggles and the temptation to go back to who he once was in Regina’s own fight to become better. He wants to be seen for who he is now, not for who he used to be. And he treats Regina how he himself would like to be treated by those who know about his past.

Regina used to be the Evil Queen and we’ve seen her be cruel and murderous in flashbacks multiple times. There’s literally not a single character on this show that wasn’t affected by her villainous actions in the past. (The same is true for Rumplestiltskin too by the way.) Yet people ship her with a wide variety of characters. People she’s captured, manipulated, tried to kill, people she’s used dark magic on, people she’s condemned to lives of loneliness, separated from their loved ones. And this list, too, can go on. And why do they ship her with these characters? Because they trust their favorite character can do exactly what Robin Hood is doing now, in canon. To believe in Regina. To support her struggle (and struggles do include mishaps, slips) for personal growth and redemption.

No one’s forced to like Robin or Outlaw Queen. Different strokes for different folks. But excuse me for not being able to take this “how can he love her, she’s a monster!!” line of argumentation very serious. Even less so if it’s coming from other shippers.

• Heather says:

Well said!

• Joa says:

Perfect response. I agree with all you said.

• Lauren says:

Thank you! But your actual facts are going on deaf ears. SQ fans don’t watch the same show we do.

• Tha says:

Yes yes and Yes

• Mer says:

OMG! He has known Regina for a couple of weeks. And it seems that have limited interactions in the missing year in EF. It is just not realisitic, how they currently written it, that Robin has some supernatural, deep understanding of Regina. He especially shown his ignorance when he waved off Regina’s concern about turning into the Evil Queen when the Shattered SIght curse hit. He truly does not know the extent of the damage she can do in that persona. And you guys still can’t acknowledge the fact that Robin was single in the place because of Regina. It kind of ruins your Outlaw Queen shipping goggles.

• Lauren says:

Go away SQ shipper, seriously. Your post reeks of bias and goggle viewing.

• M&M says:

I agree with you!

10. Kathy says:

The Charmings alone can’t carry this show. I don’t understand why characters like Regina and Rumple are being sidelined. Boring.

11. Simon Jester says:

Just watched the deleted scene. Often they are extraneous moments that were unnecessary to being with… but this one should not have been cut.

• Zelda says:

I agree. The fact that they released a deleted scene like that after the episode aired makes me think they knew themselves how important it was and that it should have been in the episode, but I don’t understand why they couldn’t make room for it. I mean no disrespect, but I don’t think the episode would have suffered if some of the Hook stuff material had been cut short and Charming’s speech about his father in flashbacks was also very long. The Regina and Snow interaction would have helped the episode if only because it would have made the Snow as Mayor story less choppy and jolty. And besides it’s a relationship that always deserves more attention on the show and it makes me sad when they do film Snow and Regina scenes, but then end up cutting them. It’s not the first time this has happened after all.

• abz says:

Agreed. While I am enjoying Frozen, I’m baffled as to why they decided that this scene had to be cut. It was such a beautiful scene between Regina and Snow. They could have cut David’s whole never-ending boring speech about his father in half and made room for it.

12. Steven says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Matt Mitovich, for using the word “enthused” CORRECTLY!!

13. C says:

Who honestly cares about Woegina? Ep 2 was awesome for the mere fact that there was very little of her whiny self.

14. Moment says:

It’s hard not to like Rumple, he’s just so, Rumple. When he’s being Rumple, he really shines.

• ninergrl6 says:

I’ve never liked him, sorry. I have no sympathy for him as Rumple or as Gold, and I don’t think Robert & Emilie have any chemistry at all.

• Ciarda says:

I agree, and I find it amusing that a lot of the big Regina haters are Rumple shippers. They make all kinds of excuses for Rumple. They conveniently forget that Rumple along with Cora emotionally traumatized Regina for years until she broke and became the evil queen. Rumple did it just so Regina would be the one that cast the curse that would bring them to Storybrooke…. Rumple killed Milah just because she left him and chose to be with a man that didn’t emotionally abuse her. Rumple quite relished emotionally abusing Belle for years, and it’s still not a healthy relationship.

Regina’s development makes complete sense- in essence, she’s taking agency to be the good person was before that was crushed by Cora and Rumple. That’s why Henry is so supportive of her plan. Robin sees that woman even without knowing the details. (If he did i don’t think he’d be as kindly disposed toward Rumple, especially since Rumple hasn’t changed that much, unlike Regina)

And Sean is a far sight better actor than some of the others on the show: Robbie Kay, Emilie, and the actors that played Prince Phillip and Aurora. And he’s not a bland looking pretty boy like the actor who played Prince Phillip. Sean is a handsome man who carries off the Robin Hood role much better than the usual pretty boy actors it usually goes to. Sean looks like a man who has actually experienced life- not coasted through it on his pretty boy looks.

15. Z25 says:

Thank you for this article, Matt. I was worried about the Frozen ‘invasion’. I like them. But I like the original main characters more and Regina’s one of the best charas, one of the pillars of OuaT. I always want to see more of her journey.

16. dioxinblues says:

Regina and Robin Hood as a couple are exceedingly dull. Regina alone – or with the Charming family – is far more interesting.

17. Maroni says:

I don’t need her to be much in Frozen. Not a fan of Frozen. Too cutsey Disney for me. But I’m here for Regina & Robin Hood, Regina & Henry, Regina & Snow, Regina & Rumple. More of that makes up for less in Regina in Frozen for me.

18. Racer32 says:

I miss Regina and Rumplestiltskin both. They make the show. Without them Once Upon a Time is just another fantasy show.

19. Elodie says:

I feel the disappointment when there are episodes when Regina is only in 1 scene. The trailers for the next episode on ABC and on CTV are good! Watch them if you can! Regina and her son spend time together and I think it will have emotional scenes of unfilled love with her and her true love Robin. ♥

20. Aly says:

I love Regina/Lana, and probably wouldn’t watch this show without her, so I’m glad she’s getting some interesting arcs of her own. I can’t say I’m that invested in the Frozen storyline, so I’m happy if Regina has her own story with Henry. Their mother/son relationship is the most important one on the show for me, so I’m always happy for more scenes between the two (though I’m also hoping for more Regina/Rumple scenes too). I think I’m more excited about Mal returning in 4B, and what that means for Regina.

21. Kyle says:

Thx for the scoop! To be honest Emma and Hook can have Frozen for all I care. Regina’s stories with Henry and Outlaw Queen are more interesting anyway. Although on my wishlist for season 4 is Elizabeth Mitchell’s Snow Queen and Lana Parrilla’s Regina sharing at least one scene. Two of my favorite tv actresses.

22. Don says:

I was quite disappointed with last week’s episode. i love regina! to me she is the most interesting. The actress too is exceedingly talented which makes Regina wonderful to watch. I didnt like that there was too much of charming’s background and hook scenes that seemed to me less important than the deleted scene with snow and Reg. Snow being mayor all of a sudden is also a downer. My reaction to that is like what emma usually says “Really??!!” I wish to have more of Regina and more sense in the show than just the frozen storyline.

23. Jennifer says:

Regardless of what her arcs are or are going to be, not asking for Regina’s help with the ice cave was a logic fail, plain and simple. At least try to give an explanation. Sheesh. Then again, this is the same show that killed a wooden man with a taser.

• Rigerty says:

Didn’t Rumple explain in the pawn shop scene that fire wouldn’t help? I don’t remember the whole conversation, but I thought they established they couldn’t simply have someone with magic use fire to get them out. But I’m not saying it was a logical explanation, lol.

• kacerho says:

I agree, not only did they not ask for her help, but they also never even thought to ask the Blue Fairy either. There was not much of an explanation as to why the magical people of the town were basically ignored in this ‘crisis.’ I know Regina was isolating herself, but there’s no way she wouldn’t try to help if she knew Emma was dying, and so would have Blue and the fairies.

24. Rigerty says:

Thanks for that. More Regina’s alway a good thing.

25. vn-zip.net says:

)Do you seriously want to take your Visalus home business to a new level.
    Food being part of the physiologic needs of people should be taken with some sort of
    discipline. 7 million which was up $ 110 million compared to the
    year previous.

26. holly says:

Regina’s my fav so thanks for the good news.

27. Leonardo says:

Honestly everyone needs to chill. Just because Regina was barely in one episode doesn’t mean they’re writing her out. Each episode is going to be focused on different characters.

28. Di says:

I wish Lana Parrilla and Robert Carlyle would quit OUaT. They deserve better than to be part of the Captain Swan show. Seriously, 4×02 was painful to watch.

29. mikazuki says:

I was fine with less Regina, didn’t even notice it really. I have more of a problem when she takes over the storyline. Something that happens a little too frequently for my taste. I prefer her in small doses. I thought it was a great episode. It was fun learning more about Charming’s past and I was glad to see Mary Margaret given something to do. I really liked seeing Emma and Elsa getting to know each other, and the small scenes we got between Emma and Hook were amazing. Not saying it was perfect, but overall, I enjoyed it immensely.

30. cm0011 says:

These comments are sad. If no one noticed, the whole first episode was practically Regina and Frozen. I was actually kind of sad it didn’t have much of any of the other character’s arcs in it. Even then, doesn’t mean I hate the episode. I actually loved the first episode. And the fact that they put some Captain Swan in there in the second episode made up for the lack of it in the first. Each episode focuses on a certain thing. Be patient. Like someone else said, I am very glad the writers stick to what THEY want to write – they have not failed yet in my eyes

31. Kaitlin says:

I feel that Regina is only getting started when it comes to her character arc. She was only JUST recognized for her change like what, two days ago? When she used her light magic? I feel her story is the central point of view. Her’s and Emma’s. This show, yes is about fairy tales and the new adaptions of it by Adam and Eddy, but it’s about the untold story of the Evil Queen (not so evil anymore) and the Savior. I hope, for the shows stake and the real true story line, Robin and Regina do NOT get back together. I feel bringing back Marion, has lost all hope. Otherwise, why bring her back? Sean is not a good actor (sorry he is sweet and a very nice man, I can tell…) But he is not “worthy” enough to stay on the show and stay with the lead actress. I feel that this Frozen story will be a basis of the original characters themselves. Emma and Regina mirroring the Elsa/Anna story. Somewhat different, but very close in the meaning behind it. I hope we see A LOT more Regina and Henry scenes, along with Emma and Henry scenes (like the beautiful season one). I want to see more of Emma and her past, which we were told we will get. & I cannot wait for the Regina/Emma episode because their relationship is so rich and so real. Their arc started on season one, episode one. Look how far they have come? Let just hope this season is slows down a bit. More like season one. Character Development. Real conversations. Real like situations. I just love those scenes where you feel like you’re watching a story. This jumping around stuff like season 3B, just will not do. Anyone agree? disagree? (: Love this show, and I hope there will be more seasons to come.

• i agree to seeing more focus on the main character’s. I’d like to see a season (half season) that has no big bad and just deals with them. But disagree that Regina is the main focus of the show along with Emma, for me it’s Emma’s story and I’m actually glad that she’s taking centre stage a bit more this season in that we’re learning more about her and seeing her grow as a person. At the end of the day we all know that each character will have their arc play out as the season goes on and will have an episode that uses them more – they’ve set up so many storylines it makes sense that they focus on one at a time.

32. tracy says:

I love Regina, this last episode was one of the worst, too much CS and boring Charming flashbacks. I almost fell asleep. Good to see that Regina will not be sidelined in 4A. She’s by far the best character on this show.

33. kacerho says:

I’ll take a wait and see approach. The first 2 episodes were very Frozen heavy, and it feels like the main characters, including Regina, are being overshadowed by the hype, and this is from a huge Frozen fan who doesn’t mind them on OAUT. However, I am glad that she has a story line that involves Henry. I hope there is some great interaction between Regina and the Snow Queen, because it seems like she is “frozen” out of that story and it doesn’t make much sense. I don’t like the Robin Hood/Regina/Marian story line because it feels like OAUT is ruining his and Marian’s story (which is pretty iconic), plus that whole “I make my own destiny” speech seems like nonsense since now ‘fairy dust’ makes fate for Regina. Oh, well. We shall see.

34. ivy says:

Regina’s an amazing character and it would be a shame if she was overshadowed by Frozen and Captain Swan. I hope she will be a part of Frozen storyline because it would be very disappointing if her only storyline is pining over Robin Hood. Sean Maguire’s awful acting ruins every scene he’s in and it’s a disservice to Lana as an actress and to her character that she’s paired up with such a bad actor who makes all their scenes unwatchable.
    I hope she’ll have more scenes with other characters and they won’t be deleted!

35. Alex says:

Umm, I’m gonna say it; is Robin going to completely ignore the fact that it was Regina who killed Marian in the original timeline before the wonder due screwed it all up? And get together with Regina ‘when’ Marina finally gets send off or dies a la Neal? I cannot get behind the Robin-Regina bandwagon if only for that particular reason. I just can’t.

• Alex says:

*MARIAN. Poor girl can’t catch a break even from autocorrect.

• Jeri says:

Yes. We should have realized that when he used Regina’s mass murders as a come on. After all, she’s not evil. She’s bold and audacious.

• Julio says:

Robin knows who Regina is now, this is the woman he loves, the woman he knows he has magic light, and as he said he knows better because it also had a dark past. Ouat is about hope, it’s about believing that you become a better person, you can have your happy end

36. SQ FANS WHY YOU ALL SO RUDE??? STOP HATE SEAN! HE’S GREAT ACTOR!

• DarkWings says:

As someone who is not a SQer, sorry, but Sean might be a great guy (he certainly seems like it), he’s not a good actor. His scenes where he is supposed to be emotional have one expression, and that is a pained, pinched expression that makes it look like he’s trying to pass kidney stones.

• Mer says:

These short sighted people think (and Sean encourages this on twitter) that whenever someone criticizes his acting capabilities or the storyline, they are automatically Swan Queen fans. Silly rabbits.

37. TQ says:

Team more Regina, more Outlaw Queen, and while I’m at it more Sean Maguire as Robin Hood on #OUAT. Haters to the left.

38. AnnieT says:

I want more Regina. But can they please give her another love interest? I can’t believe they cast an actor who can’t act his way out of a paper bag to play Regina’s true love.

• Di says:

LOL, please. Pretty sure you and your group would still find a way to hate. Sean is a good actor and he’s here to stay. Deal.

• ivy says:

‘Good actor’ lmao

• Stormy says:

No, Dear. He really isn’t. I will say he’s far a better actor than Michael Raymond James [Neal], but far from being in a class with Robert Carlyle [Rumpel] or Jamie Dornan [ Sheriff Graham].

• Zelda says:

Jamie Dornan is great on The Fall with Gillian Anderson, but he was hardly impressive on OUAT. I’ve always found this strange. In my opinion he came across as rather wooden and times close to overacting as Graham, but there’s an impressive difference to how he’s portraying his TF character. Maybe it’s the very different nature of the two characters. I also don’t understand why you seem to think of MRJ as a bad actor. Honest question out of curiosity: Have you seen him in anything other than OUAT?

• Stormy says:

I have, and he seems lazy and disinterested. There’s being laid back and then there’s just plain bored and MRJ seems bored. He almost reminds me of the way street gang members suppress all emotion in order to seem cool.

39. Karen says:

I wish it were Sunday. Rocky Road looks thrilling. Marian gets frozen and Robin has to Regina of all people for help. These writers know how to keep us on our toes! I ship Robin with Regina, but I hope Marian survives. I’m jealous of everyone who will see the episode screening at New York Comic Con on Friday.

• Zelda says:

I think it will be another packed episode, it’ll feature the introduction of the Snow Queen and Will Scarlet and a flashback story too, but I expect some good scenes for Regal Believer and Outlaw Queen. :)

40. Casey says:

For heaven’s sake, this isn’t the Regina Show, despite what some fans say. There have always been eps that were very light on one character or another. Sometimes a character is completely missing in an ep. That’s just how it happens when you have an ensemble cast. 3B was VERY heavy on Regina, and other characters got short shrift — to the frustration of those characters’ fans. Personally, I was thrilled to get a break from the Regina angst in this ep. I don’t want her front and center all the time. I enjoyed the focus on Emma and Charming — the latter of whom, frankly, often gets pushed to the side. So I find it silly and a vast overreaction (but not unexpected, alas) that Regina fans are up in arms after one freaking episode that’s light for her.

• Ash says:

Erm, no offense but I think you’re the one who’s overreacting. This is Matt’s sentence: “As such, one could understand if some TVLine readers had expressed concern that a major character was being “frozen out” of Season 4A’s buzzy Frozen storyline.” – Note: “if” – “some readers”, etc. I haven’t seen much that fits what you describe at all.

Besides: Everyone has their favorites and of course everyone wants to see their fav getting a lot of screentime. Ain’t nothing wrong with that. I don’t get why it’s such a big deal even if some fans who have Regina as their favorite say they want to see a lot of her. As long as they are respectful they have every right to it and they don’t defend to defend themselves.

41. Kevin says:

This show is amazing. All of the characters are great in my opinion and I think this season is off to a great start. The frozen storyline is entertaining plus they’ve set up some interesting plot lines: Regina finding out who wrote the book, rumple, knave making his first appearance next week and of course Elizabeth Mitchell as the snow queen. Can’t wait to see more

42. Pauline says:

I think that it will work out in the end but people just watch and see i think they will make Regina out to be good and bad but will get cot and more i think this show will be a good one

43. Bruno says:

Who killed Marian was a woman and Regina was not who she is now, do you think Regina saved her life because at the premiere?
    Robin said that the monster is not the woman he KNOWS NOW.
    the regina he knows broke a curse with kiss of true love and magic of light.
    Regina had rather a bad past, but also Robin so she understands it, and however bad that his past have been she does not have to be judged by him forever, or what would be the direction of change?

44. Thaís says:

Regina was the Evil Queen in the past it has killed thousands of people, spent his life trying to end the Snow ok, but as Tinker said she needed love, like Robin said we all have a second chance for us to become a better person, Ouat is about hope, it’s about everyone could truly change and find her happy ending, Eddy said that when it gets dark there is still hope to find the light. This is Regina gradually learned that she could love, the love for a child began to change it, she really began to believe she could be a better person, we saw that Regina nonetheless still had not repented, and perhaps here that Marian goes to kill her in the past if it was not Emma, but this woman is that she was not who she is now, she may still need to settle accounts with the past, in fact need to repent, but she should not even deserve to be eternally judged by the mistakes that said, Robin knows who Regina is now, this is the woman he loves, the woman he knows he has magic light, and as he said he knows better because it also had a dark past. Regina saved the life of Marian now, she keeps struggling to stay on track, so yes she deserves her happy ending.
    As for OQ remember that Tinker said that the mere fact of Regina did not go find Robin ruined the lives of TWO, tinker did not know how but I knew what happened because fate is Robin and Regina perhaps only to be completely happy together is by that Marian almost always dies

45. Julio says:

SQ’s serious you can even get a better excuse than “can not separate classic couples” you see a series that Peter Pan is a villain, WW is the sister of the Evil Queen and Rumple is also the beast (Rumbelle is not classic seen so) a month ago everyone wanted Robin dead are the same with that excuse now.
    Sorry but Hook and Robin out of the picture DOES NOT HAPPEN SQ. one the screenwriter opened up saying that the Regina and Emma is friendship, Swens love their ship, but do not try to spoil the other this is false and hypocritical

• Mer says:

Are you people that shortsighted, that because someone doesn’t like Sean’s acting, or Outlaw Queen, that they are automatically Swan Queen fans? Sorry to bust your delusion, but there are plenty of people that can objectively comprehend that Outlaw Queen is the worse written romance on the show, and Sean Maguire can become a better actor and not ship any couple on the show.

He admitted himself that Lana helps him along the way, she is such a great professional. Sean and his manager are always attacking SQ on twitter which is quite disrespectful, considering that more than SQers are not enjoying that storyline. So gus, if you want to cheer for Robin choosing to be with his wife’s murder, that’s your choice. Us more intelligent people don’t want Regina to get her happy ending over a dead woman’s body

46. JC1 says:

Well I’m obviously much in the minority among the commenters here, but I greatly enjoyed the last episode, and I didn’t miss Regina or Rumble at all. I’m enjoying the Frozen storyline a lot. And I’m glad the Charming family is getting more attention, particularly David (although I admit I could have done without that wig *shudder*). As much as I have enjoyed Regina and Rumple in the past, I find myself completely uninterested in their storylines this season. I was completely bored during the Rumbelle scenes in the premiere – I found myself playing games on my phone more than watching. And I can only muster up a twinge of interest for the Sorcerer’s Hat storyline. As for Regina, I’ve found Outlaw Queen to be completely contrived from the beginning (soulmates? Of course special snowflake Regina must have a soulmate, while everyone else has to get along with a plain old ordinary True Love. /sarcasm) and I have no interest in watching Regina once AGAIN scheming to get the happy ending she “deserves.” Really Regina? Personally I’d find it a lot easier to to root for Regina to actually get her happy ending (because I otherwise do actually like her) if she wasn’t so convinced of her own entitlement to it.
    As far as I’m concerned, I’m here this season for Frozen, the Charming family, and whatever’s going on with the Knave. I no longer care about Regina or Rumple. I wouldn’t mind them being included in the Frozen storyline more, but not being a fan of Rumbelle or Outlaw Queen, I’m just not interested in their personal dramas any longer. But if we’re going to talk about people being missing, where is Ruby?!? Now there’s a character I actually do miss. Has Meghan Ory permanently left the show now?

• JC1 says:

Drat – I could have sworn I closed my italics tag this time. SMH.

• Kevin says:

Man I couldn’t agree with you more. I’m LOVING the frozen storyline and I thought it was great that the focus was off Regina and rumple for a while. Don’t get me wrong I still love them but I wana see more of David who’s one of my favorite characters and I’m SO excited for Knave. Love this show and love this season.

47. Liz says:

Huh. So one episode with little Regina warrants a whole article? I didn’t see you writing one after the premiere were we hardly saw Charming or Snow…
    This is so weird…

48. Kevin says:

Thank you!

49. Name That Tune says:

Terrible writing and plot development this season.

However they choose to word it, the Frozen characters and storyline adds nothing but bloat to the show and the characters we’ve come to care about are sitting on the sidelines.

Boring.

50. Guest says:

goodness people…don’t get me wrong I absolutely love Regina but really? People are so upset because she hasn’t been in that many scenes? For the love of God guys it is only 2 episodes in and Regina was in quite a few scenes in the premiere. Well still have 20 episodes left to go. Her arc may or may not have much to do with frozen but she has the best storyline!! I have always wanted to know who the writer is so she will get her do just be patient. Can’t wait for tonight’s episode (though God forbid there isn’t any Regina) lol.